Didn't go, regret it 2 1.28%
Didn't go, don't regret it 94 60.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

INTJs and the Prom None
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #51
Antares
Core Member [211%]
MBTI: INTJ

I went and stood there like a fucking idiot.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #52
Magda
Member [40%]

My friend Karen talked endlessly about which of the 2 older guys she was dating she would get to take her to senior prom. I hadn't dated at all in HS and had no plans to go.

A guy even more socially awkward than me asked me to go with him, by passing me a note at the end of Pre-Calc class. He was another smart kid, but one I didn't know that well (not part of the group I usually hung out with). So I ended up going after all.

I got off cheap, since after trying on pricey dresses and not liking most of them, I found one I liked on the clearance rack for $30 (dirt cheap even in 1985) which meant my mother was not only happy to pay for the dress, but for matching shoes, shawl, hair accessories, and jewelry as well. (Yes, this was the mid 80s so everything had to match.) My date likely spent more on his tux rental, and he also bought the tickets, and paid for a nice dinner beforehand.

We mostly hung out with his friends, who I didn't really know (most of my friends didn't come), and he wouldn't do any fast dances (I finally got up by myself for one to a song I really liked). He was a nice guy, but more interested in me that I was in him, and we didn't end up having many extracurricular common interests. Still, I was glad to have gone.

I was amused by how many people were clearly astonished at how pretty I looked when I actually bothered to dress up and wear make-up. And I was very amused at the irony of me actually going to the prom while Karen ended up staying home.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #53
isaenator
Member [06%]
MBTI: ENFP

Yeah prom is kinda meh. I ended up going with one of my guy friends because my boyfriend lived on another continent. It was kinda silly. I love social gatherings but I wouldn't say prom is really worth it.

I'm pretty sure my little brother's an INTJ and he's extremely against the idea of dances and any kind of school social events. My mom might end up blackmailing him into going to prom, but I know he hates the effort he will have to put into it. It's kind of hilarious to watch from a third party perspective. He's definitely not unattractive, he's just too lazy to ask anyone out.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #54
alicewonders
New Member [01%]

I went to prom and had fun. It was the first time my parents ever let me out of the house alone (besides attending school or volunteering at the library on weekends). My parents allowed me to stay out until 12am. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but to me it was. I went cheap for prom, spending less than $100. Wore an old dress of my Aunt, brought my own ticket, and dinner. I had a date but then chicken out last minute and went with friends instead.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #55
Rivers
Member [14%]
MBTI: InTj

I did not go. Instead, my and a couple of my best friends got together, drank, ate popcorns and watched movies. I hate tuxedos. Basically, I was with the people I cared the most so I don't really care.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #56
MacheteGeek
Veteran Member [53%]
*Context adapting, wise, insightful, clever, preferable, and ever renewable quote thing.*
MBTI: INTj

Went, despised it, not going again. Hanging out and watching bad anime instead. ^^
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #57
mhy
Member [05%]

Went, and hated it.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #58
Cincinnatus
Core Member [178%]
I'm a high-functioning moron, thank you very much!
MBTI: ENTJ

Originally Posted by Person056
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
how many INTJs here actually went to their high school prom? if you did go, did you enjoy it or wish you hadn't gone? if you didn't go, do you regret it?

Junior: yes. Senior: No.

I went to prom with a pretty girl, who didn't care for me all that much. That was my first mistake. The second mistake was actually thinking I could make something like prom work for me.

It was full of the cliché pseudo-romantic high school bullshit, and drama. The next year some friends and I went to Lake Erie. That was so... much... better, and I got to boat out on the lake, which is a rare treat for me.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #59
Elena
Core Member [140%]

MBTI: XXXX

I was forced to go by my social workers to 'be more social'. I read the suggestion of 'formal wear' and decided what the hell, I hate dresses, so I went in a white shirt, deep red waist coat and black skinny jeans. Add on the fact I brought a girl instead of a guy, my all female catholic school kicked us out, threatening to send a priest out to talk to us. Did not hang around to bang into a priest. We spent the evening watching films, getting drunk, laughing at the school, social workers and eating too much food. Ending better than start.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #60
spect
Veteran Member [73%]
MBTI: inxx

my original date fell and broke her nose, bandaged up and it bled into giving her black eyes and a bruise over about a third of her face... so she didnt want to go. i asked someone else and she was upset, but my new date wasnt into it or me because i found out later she had a boyfriend - she felt sorry for me because i wasnt going, it was a pity date.

so i didnt enjoy it
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #61
nashburn8
Member [02%]

MBTI: intj

I didn't go and I don't regret it. I also did not go to my pharmacy class grad and I don't regret that either. I just imagine a lot of people making phony speeches about the future and shit like that. I'm not into sentiment. And then you have to wear those stupid looking robes and caps...
Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #62
SilasGTBronte
Member [09%]

I was the least interested, so I did not go. Also I believe there was a special Hispanic Senior dance in the town I lived and my stepfather at the time asked why I did not go there. Same reason, but specially because I was even less interested in a socially-divided event. I was not interested to conform to a group or label.

I do not regret not going.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #63
UltraIncredible
Core Member [103%]
MBTI: Ixxx

The last school dance I attended was in 8th grade. I ended up playing basketball in the other gym.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #64
Kearley65
Member [19%]

Went to three high school dances, two Winter Formals and Senior Prom. Enjoyed myself each time. Being with a group of 16 friends that I was relaxed around, I did not find it so bad. Although I did not dance, just me and a couple fellow football teammates just cocked blocked our coach all night that was hitting on the new hot teacher in school. Lucky for me, my playing days were over so he could not make my life a living hell.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #65
Brightinfinity
New Member [01%]

Someone asked me and paid for my ticket, so I went. It was alright, but I was too drained to go to an after party. Too many people telling me I wasn't dancing enough, too much physical contact (especially from my date, who I didn't know very well). It was a good experience though; I don't regret it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #66
Mindfreak
Member [14%]

I didn't go, didn't care. Most school functions didn't interest me at the time.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #67
Sniped Soul
Member [08%]

I didn't even look for a date. I think I played video games with my friends that night.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #68
stroozette
Member [02%]

I missed my own proms with no regrets whatsoever. That being said, my daughter will be a sophomore in HS this year, is incredibly social and for gawd's sake is even a varsity cheerleader. (I adore her but we're such different people.) I'm sure I will vicariously experience all aspects of prom drama and trauma in the spring. Oh you betcha.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #69
Berserker
Member [12%]
I am aggressively myself.

I went to my high school prom with a lesbian date. I enjoyed it, but mostly because I enjoy club music and dancing. For me, it wasn't a social event. It was all about moving to the music. I left when the dancing ended and the talking began.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #70
Anemoi
Core Member [437%]
[And I am] pleased to recognise in nature and the language of the sense, The anchor of my purest thoughts, the nurse, the guide, the guardian of my heart, and soul of all my moral being

Did not like it, for me it was a complete waste of time and money.

That's why I didn't do anything for my college graduation. I went to the ceremony, received the diploma and then sat on my balcony with a beer.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #71
JYFly
Member [39%]
MBTI: xxxx

I was invited, but I made an excuse and I didn't go. I don't regret it.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:47 AM   #72
Eyedears
Member [08%]
"Work is for people who don't knit."

Originally Posted by nnafn
Didn't go, didn't care. Went through high school without going to a single dance or any other social function

Same here. High school was something I gladly graduated FROM; except for a few interesting classes, it was a chore and a bore (even though, sure, I played the grade game nicely, mostly to please papa). I'd have much preferred doing independent study at home, with my father as my mentor/"resource person."

Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #73
Terennnash
Member [04%]

Didnt go to the actual prom/dance/dumbfuckingwasteofmoney thing.
I did however, play paparazzi for my friends, snapping pictures etc, even tailed them in my car during their limo ride to prom, camera flashing away.

Post prom: i found the poker table and roullette wheel, and spent my night that way. completely ignored my friends, and cleaned up at the tables(chips are chips, i didnt give a shit if there was no real money to be had, taking away someone elses chips was reason enough).

Overall, fun night.
I "participated" sufficiently in the prom experience, did what i wanted to do, and no one bugged me over any of it.

That last part, oh i cant explain how that made the entire night.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #74
extollere
New Member [01%]

MBTI: xxxx

My school didn't have this so called prom
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #75
MysteriousGnome
Member [04%]

I went to the prom, I was actually organizing and leading the thing due to being class president. Don't ask me how an INTJ becomes class president, I don't get it either. We got really well with each other in the class though so it was quite cool.