Dunning–Kruger effect None
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
curiousgeorge01
Core Member [145%]
MBTI: INTJ

Originally Posted by Polymath20
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
That's why there's an ELO rating system. If you routinely beat people that are worse than you, your score only goes up a little bit, and then eventually not at all. If you challenge people at your own level or higher, then your rank will really move up, assuming you win.

I know for Chess there exists one. But I'm just saying, a lot of normal people don't put themselves through the competitive process and choose who they want to go against and they claim dominance b/c they always win.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
Polymath20
Core Member [716%]
MBTI: ENTP

Originally Posted by curiousgeorge01
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I know for Chess there exists one. But I'm just saying, a lot of normal people don't put themselves through the competitive process and choose who they want to go against and they claim dominance b/c they always win.

I was only speaking for myself - but yes you are correct, people can tend to seek confirmation bias if they have an unhealthy ego.

Polymath20 is online
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #28
Subgenius
Banned

Originally Posted by thod
Everyone seems to think they are a good car driver. At least better than average.

No. I just think that people think they are better than asian drivers, who are quite numerous.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #29
EdR
Member [07%]
I cannot see why we should expect an infinite God to do better in another world than he does in this.

Robert Green Ingersoll

Originally Posted by curiousgeorge01

It is true that life does not impose a numerical evaluation on people like games do, but the vast majority of people cannot objectively assess the fruits of their efforts. I see it both at work and at home.

If something "sort of works" as planned, it is hailed by these people as a success, while if I did the same thing I would chalk it up as a failed effort. Most people can rationalize/justify failures and shortcomings as the result of outside influences and not themselves. That is the only thing that makes some sense to me, otherwise I do not understand that sort of thinking, even as frequently as I have encounterred it.

Even with numerical ratings, people often cannot truly accept unacceptable results. For that I will use golf as an example. I wish I had a hair on my head for every person that I've played with that shot 10 or 20 strokes worse than they have claimed. These people have a host of excuses, but one look at their swing tells me that the only time they shot in the 80's was when they quit after 12!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #30
stealthfighter
Core Member [112%]

I think it can be equated with common arrogance. A lot of people don't know they have it and don't like to accept the objective truth that they have it.