Do you jump into conversations you weren't involved in? None
Old 05-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
BlackFlames
Member [16%]

MBTI: INTj

When two strangers have a conversation about something you're interested in, or knowledgeable about, do you feel inclined to chime in? Would you/do you do it to correct them about anything? Make possible friends? You thought you just join in on a good convo? Making yourself apart of their conversation so bluntly. I dont do this, I'll just sit and listen and correct or analyze anything that was said, not voicing my opinion on a topic I very well could feel strongly about, and I wonder is that more P than J? But if you don't mind entering in strangers convos, uninvited, do you ever think its rude or make the situation awkward for them? Would a J more likely do this than a P my MBTI oracle's?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
stoopidkitty
Member [08%]
MBTI: INTJ

Very rarely. Maybe I will if I'm in a situation where I'm the only person around who is not involved in the conversation, or if two people are pondering some question they don't know how to answer and I'm somehow able to help. Even then, there's still a good chance I'll just ignore the conversation entirely.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Warrior
Core Member [390%]

Sometimes. I just depends on the situation - the topic they are discussing, how well I know them, and maybe some other factors. I'm more inclined to join lighter conversations or conversations at work that might impact my team.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Paul Siraisi
Veteran Member [99%]

I do sometimes jump in. Mixed results.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Undead Bonzi
Member [49%]
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
MBTI: ESFP

Jumping into the puddles is the only way to make shit fly.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
PatrickBateman
New Member [01%]

If I'm interested in a subject,and If one participant of the conversation is somewhat attractive female
Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
MissionPossible
Member [10%]

I often jump into conversations between strangers when I can contribute something interesting, helpful, or fun. Of course it depends on how approachable they seem in terms of body language, conversation, and personality. It often leads to interesting and positive exchanges.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
ummon
Core Member [108%]

If they're discussing something really interesting like politics, science, or philosophy, I'll try to jump in with my thoughts, but I'll do so cautiously, to gauge whether I'm welcome in the conversation or not (and I usually am).
Old 05-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Shahira
Banned

MBTI: ENFP

I would. Especially if it's something I feel very strongly about. I don't hold back. I don't really care who it is with.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
zibber
Core Member [513%]

Well, there is a big leap between joining a conversation and just pointing out something someone got wrong.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
ColdAsFrost
New Member [01%]

If they are way off with their arguments or if I am in enclosed space, e.g. on a train, with no easy means of avoiding the conversation.

I always start with apologising for entering the conversation uninvited. Most of the time my apology is accepted and the other participants feel me entering the conversation was a good thing.

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If I'm interested in a subject,and If one participant of the conversation is somewhat attractive female

With an attractive female present only knowledge about a subject is neccessary for entering a conversation.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Frosted
Banned

MBTI: INTj

To the OP, I would say this post is an example. Btw, what's up with people taking my name? ^
Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Distance
Core Member [722%]
Ennui
MBTI: eNTj

There's a difference between injecting helpful information and critiquing the conversation or individuals.

No, I don't join convos when two strangers are already engaged unless it's at a party or event where mingling is expected. On-forum, sure, why not?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
linnet
New Member [01%]

MBTI: IXFP

Never, unless I'm really close to them or if they make it clear anyone is allowed to join the conversation.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Sethis
Member [23%]
MBTI: iNTj

No, I think that's rude.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #16
INTJane
Core Member [1964%]
What would you like to know?

I don't, although I was mightily tempted today as I heard one woman loudly telling another a whole boatload of misinformation and misconceptions as if it were fact.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
citizenRoark
New Member [01%]

I rarely do and only if its a topic of interest (not to correct) are in close proximity, they're body language is inviting and they're talking loudly enough.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #18
CaelestisPeste
Core Member [143%]
MBTI: XXXX

Depends on the subject. I rarely interject my opinions and thoughts, unless I know I won't be bothersome. It's normally with casual or relaxed topics, like school, games, and recent news.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
CRIM
Member [15%]
"You ask a question, Mr. 44 answers it."
MBTI: ENFJ

I always jump into conversations that I'm not involve in. Then I look like an idiot for jumping into one without notice. Yeah, I've been there. They're never successful in any case.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #20
MissionPossible
Member [10%]

Originally Posted by Sethis
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
No, I think that's rude.

I would say that there is such thing as a "welcome intrusion'. If they welcome your participation, then it isn't rude, since the whole idea of being polite is to allow us to exist and interact comfortably and effectively with one another. That is why when a person follows polite protocols with a mean spirited and devious intent, they are in effect, being rude. It is also true that rules of etiquette are features of cultures and thus may differ from culture to culture....and when I refer to culture I refer to all kinds of cultures, institutions, and situations, not simply nations and races.

Some of the best things in my life have occurred via such intrusions. I landed my dream job after a gentleman tailed a conversation of mine and jumped in just as I might have done had I been listening to our debate from the sidelines. He turned out to be a vacationing recruiter for the exact diplomatic organization I was determined to work for.

I jumped in for a bit of witty banter and exchange of stories with a gorgeous young family in Berlin who turned out not to be a family.....and then spent 12 years with that sexy blond, blue-eyed hunk as both of us were smitten at first sight. As it turns out, it wasn't exactly a match made in heaven, but I was 20 and he was incredibly sexy and fun and we learned a lot from each other over the years. I am still glad I jumped into that conversation.

I travel a lot and I work in social psychology and communications. Perhaps it is true that the kind of people I tend to meet are less rigid about rules of engagement....and likely very true that I am good at reading the signs as to whether my participation will be welcomed. In general, I usually receive a positive response.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
Selene
Veteran Member [94%]
Bourgeois interruptus
MBTI: XXXX

Not at all. There's more fun in active listening.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #22
stealthfighter
Core Member [112%]

I only jump into conversations with people I know and those I am certain won't be offended by my act. I would never do it with strangers even if I am well aware of the topic of their conversation.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
MechanicalSun
Veteran Member [62%]
..Sub specie aeternitatis.- My vision..

My Aim for the world: http://intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=78972
MBTI: iNTJ

Only in stores when people can't decide what to buy(electronics).
Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
Person056
Member [32%]
"The only thing you can change about someone is how you react to them."
MBTI: INFJ

When two strangers have a conversation about something you're interested in, or knowledgeable about, do you feel inclined to chime in?

yes

Would you/do you do it to correct them about anything?

that is generally the primary reason

Make possible friends?

hopefully

You thought you just join in on a good convo?

indeed

But if you don't mind entering in strangers convos, uninvited, do you ever think its rude or make the situation awkward for them?

yes. that is why i make sure it is the sort of conversation that it would be okay with. if they are gossiping about someone i would indeed not enter in. however a conversation about music theory, i would never pass up an opportunity to not get involved with unless i am incredibly overqualified for them to hear me.

Would a J more likely do this than a P?

neither and both. perhaps more of an E/I thing in general. INTPs are inclined to have everything make sense and INTJs are inclined to understand everything (would be correcting them to confirm knowledge or gain corrected insight for themselves) however would an Introvert feel inclined to be bold enough to ask? when i was a kid i always used to talk to strangers even as an introvert. then i stopped when i lost the confidence. i have recently started again after having worked on being more Extroverted.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #25
Trantor
New Member [01%]

I'm amazed how many of you would jump into other people's conversation.

I find it very rude if someone joins a conversation I'm having with someone, especially because it's got nothing to do with you and if I wanted to speak to you I would do so, and since I'm not, then back the hell off and mind your own business. It doesn't matter how "strongly" you feel about the subject, your opinion is yours and you've got no right to interrupt a conversation I'm having with someone else. Therefore I never interrupt others. As an INTJ, I don't like to talk anyways, especially to strangers.

As a matter of fact, if someone does it, I just stop talking and wait till the interrupter leaves, and then carry on with the person I initially was talking.