deconspire
Core Member [467%]
“Roses are red,
And ready for plucking,
You're sixteen,
And ready for high school.”
MBTI: intp

Originally Posted by MrFlaneur
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The last generation we will see that made great music. Now we have Justin Bieber.

*sighs*

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No, we just have people that look to the past and not the present or future with music. Every fucking generation makes this comment. It drives me crazy. Newton stood on the shoulders of giants and so does everyone else. Especially in music. There is so much great music out right now, you guys just don't know where to find it. And by the way, a lot of that 'old' music sucked nuts anyway. You're just looking at the precipice of it, since we've had long enough to scale the mountain of it all now.

Originally Posted by Aronnax
Generations X and Y are fairly close culturally. The big gap is between those two and the boomers.

I really, really agree with this.

deconspire is online

Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #27
Oros Ull
Core Member [154%]
I can never really tell if I’m slowly going mad or just coming to terms with a bizarre reality.
MBTI: INFJ

I’m 23 so Gen Y for me, although I’ve always been a bit out of place with my generation. I grew up around computers but I never liked them. I always just wanted to be left alone and preferred a natural unobtrusive setting. And the explosion of Social technology did pretty much everything it could to not let me have that. So I avoided tech like the plague until I was in my late teens. But whatever…

The biggest difference between Gen X and Gen Y I see regularly is the level of desensitization. Gen X were adults when the Internet and stuff came into existence. This meant that they already had all their opinions and ideology’s for the most part set in stone when all this new crazy ass information about the world came into the public eye.

Whereas Gen Y grew up having this stuff shoved in their faces, so they have sort of been forced to have a very open ended and accepting worldview in order to adapt to that sort of environment. And frankly it shows. As far as anyone from Gen Y is concerned the world is bat shit insane. There was never any misconception of it being otherwise unless they are incredibly sheltered. There is no such thing as normal to them and they have faced the whole world as their environment since day 1. And it’s only getting broader.

I just find it funny sometimes. Even if the Gen X person is super open minded you can always tell the difference between the way they look at things and the way a Gen Y would. The Gen Y never even questions the immense scope of things; everything is automatically compared against the whole world. But if you ask a Gen X a really objective question you can see them widening the parameters in their minds before giving you an answer.

I realize it’s a pretty subjective assessment, but if you think about it in order for a Gen X to have had as wide a scope to consider as Gen Y does in their youth they would have had to belong to a world traveling family or something. And even then it wouldn’t have been absorbed as quickly as is with the use of media technology. So when you look at the foundations for their thoughts the difference is usually obvious.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
DeaconSyre
Member [40%]
MBTI: INFP

What I've noticed in Gen X is a sense of futility, like they rebelled and the world ignored them. Because of this they're good at manipulating the system but not at changing it. They saw the dark underbelly of society and said "well, if that's how things are, then I'm going to make what I can from it".
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
stasis
Administrator
morbid cliché.
MBTI: INTP

Originally Posted by deconspire
I feel like I am too young to be a true Gen X, and too old to be a true Gen Y (born '81).

If you grew up in a major coastal city or other significant cosmopolitan area, go with Y. If on the other hand you grew up geographically insulated from that kind of cultural churn, in the middle of Nebraska or wherever, go with X.

Truefacts.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #30
Fishism
Member [44%]
MBTI: INTJ

Generations X and Y are fairly close culturally. The big gap is between those two and the boomers.

As a Generation X'er, born to parents who were born in the 30's, I completely agree with this statement. I was a 15 year old when I wrote my first program in Basic on an Atari 600 XL that used cassettes to save data. My first music purchase was vinyl, but cassettes, CDs and .MP3s came natural to me as it evolved. My parents had trouble with using a VCR and a DVD scared the crap out of them.

I think the main difference between Generation X and Y is how the Y'ers deal with information. As they overload themselves with input and visual stimulation and use technology to multi-task themselves into distraction, it's no wonder everyone who can't sit still for 30 minutes is diagnosed with A.D.D. Like kids in a candy store, they don't even finish chewing on something before they're shoving something else in their mouth. Then they wonder why they get stomach aches and crashes from sugar (input) overload. The Z'ers are even worse because their toys are even BETTER.

As for music, video killed the radio star and then downloading killed the video star. Generation X was bombarded with music because we had both radio and saw the birth of MTV and record companies were so rich they threw all kinds of things against the wall to see what stuck. Now, listeners are all on their own to dig through the garbage in the alleyways of Youtube. No wonder they're wandering into used record/vinyl stores and are discovering the 70's and 80's.

You only have to get off my lawn if you're sitting on it smoking a joint while you text. If you're chasing a ball, that's cool. I was young once.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #31
catzmeow
Core Member [199%]
Almost Sane
MBTI: ENFP

I don't mind Gen Y, but the baby boomers annoy the shiz out of me. (I'm gen X)

---------- Post added 05-03-2012 at 02:35 PM ----------

Originally Posted by DeaconSyre
What I've noticed in Gen X is a sense of futility, like they rebelled and the world ignored them. Because of this they're good at manipulating the system but not at changing it. They saw the dark underbelly of society and said "well, if that's how things are, then I'm going to make what I can from it".

Pish tosh...I'm great at changing systems....it's what I do for a living.

Originally Posted by Fishism
You only have to get off my lawn if you're sitting on it smoking a joint while you text. If you're chasing a ball, that's cool. I was young once.

Most days, on the inside, I'm about 25. The outside, not so much.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
Kisai
Core Member [440%]
Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
MBTI: XXXX

Boomers fucking suck. Who starts a cultural revolution and then fails at it?

Kisai is online
Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #33
stasis
Administrator
morbid cliché.

Originally Posted by Kisai
Boomers fucking suck. Who starts a cultural revolution and then fails at it?

Hippies who thought LSD had magical love powers. I say we use hate this time around.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #34
Dru
Core Member [281%]
Think of me as you think of yourself; another unfinished book on an infinite shelf.

getting there.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #35
ajrosales
Member [05%]
MBTI: ENTJ

War Generation: We're never too busy to help out.
Boomers: We're too busy being hedonists to care.
Gen X: We're too busy doin' our own thing. Leave us alone.
Gen Y: We're not sure how busy we're going to be from this point forward.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #36
Reizu
Member [40%]

I prefer to make notices about people based on culture, not age. Generation X in more liberal places like California, for example, spoil their kids too much, while the ones in places like Arkansas are really mean.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #37
Rivers
Member [14%]
MBTI: InTj

I was born in 1991, I consider everyone who was not born in 1991 or 1992 a bit odd. Especially modern kids, those are batshit crazy. But I haven't been in contact with gen X people much.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #38
Kisai
Core Member [440%]
Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
MBTI: XXXX

Originally Posted by Reizu
I prefer to make notices about people based on culture, not age. Generation X in more liberal places like California, for example, spoil their kids too much, while the ones in places like Arkansas are really mean.

You're correct. Its all overgeneralizations. The same types of people get born again with different problems that distinguish them. The complexity of an ant's path reflects the complexity of the environment; the ant itself is simple.

Kisai is online
Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #39
Vagrant
Core Member [162%]
Bananaphone. Boop boop boo-doo-ba-doop!

Nothing really comes to mind except "meh."

My parents are baby boomers. Nothing too notable I'd say about them (from an objective standpoint). People I've interacted with from that age region just seem to want to live their lives.

But age generalizations are problematic. My grandma is the feistiest woman I've met, but others her age are quite demure. Age is a poor indicator of personality.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #40
QuantumEnigma
Member [12%]

Regarding the multiple comments on generalizing by age: my workplace put out a powerpoint describing the various generations and appropriate recruiting strategies. Normally I'd dismiss it out of cynicism (or rather statistical realism), however to bolster the argument they showed how army recruiting slogans had changed throughout the years:

Old people: "Uncle Sam wants YOU!"
Hippies: "Today's Army Wants to Join You"
Xers: "Army of One"
Y kiddies: "Parents, you made them strong, now we'll make them army strong"

So skeptics what do you think - is there some merit here?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #41
fidele
New Member [01%]

I'm the oldest of the Gen X'ers, born from Silents. Baby boomers make me want to hurl them off buildings with their me-centric world. X'ers work behind the scenes, make stuff happen and go home; somebody else can do PTA. We tried to change the way parenting works and are not necessarily succeeding. Y has a shiny brand-me techy outside, but isn't really sure they have what it takes on the inside. Generation Z or Text or Next or whatever the heck they are...well, YOLO is their motto and there are so many stupid zero tolerance rules that none of them matter. Y thinks they're social, but Text/Next are raptors communicating and collaborating to bring you down before you even know they know each other.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #42
Magda
Member [45%]

I'm a Gen X'er and I'm the one who usually gets to try to explain to my boomer mother how to use her computer. Doesn't help that she's an ISFJ, so I have to explain everything in little tiny steps.

On the other hand, most of my family was probably more tech savvy than average. My boomer father was a computer programmer (worked on code for the first ATM network in Michigan, among other things). My brother and I were on a local BBS back in the 80s, and on the internet early on (in fact, my brother was webmaster for the University where he went to grad school when they first went on the net.) He's more up to date now than I am, because he still works in the industry, whereas I work in a medical research lab.

On the other hand, I still remember life before the web. Where when you were curious about something you either had to go to the library and look it up, or try to think of someone you knew who would be likely to know the answer. I wonder what psychological effect it has to grow up being able to find out almost anything you want to know instantly.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #43
DeaconSyre
Member [40%]
MBTI: INFP

Originally Posted by Magda
I wonder what psychological effect it has to grow up being able to find out almost anything you want to know instantly.

It's a bit weird, but you're still limited by your ability to find what you're looking for more than I'd like.

Once we get AI research assistants things are going to get really weird. And probably very chill.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #44
Corleone
Core Member [170%]
Rap is nothing you can put in a movie with a bunch of turtles!
MBTI: INxJ

They all seem to be a bunch of haters who just hate on us for the sake of hatin'. Haters gon' hate, I guess. Generally speaking, they like to chastise us for our perceived attitudes towards drugs, sex, greed, and culture. They must've forgotten a little time period known as the '80s. Coke, consumerism, and synth-pop-infused mating FTL!

The last generation we will see that made great music. Now we have Justin Bieber.

The preceding generation gave us Phil Collins. End of discussion.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #45
curiousgeorge01
Core Member [146%]

Originally Posted by ajrosales
Boomers: We're too busy being hedonists to care.

Seems like some Boomers are in agreement with you:

Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #46
JTG
Core Member [254%]
That's what I call smallness as a human being. No matter how much I'm irritated by it, I can't do anything about it. It's not complex, just stunted. Because as a human being I'm small
MBTI: ISTP

Now we have Justin Bieber.

Originally Posted by Samoan Corleone
The preceding generation gave us Phil Collins.

Both fair points. I think the moral of the story is that there's always going to be
that's
yet
- where having actual
because
and
are more important.

Of course, every generation has good music, too. It's just harder to agree on what exactly that is.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #47
plotthickens
Core Member [892%]
Don't stick beans up your nose.

Generation (insert) is (generalization), because (anecdotal observation) and they don't (a thing that I like doing).
Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #48
Haumea
Core Member [109%]

The preceding generation gave us Phil Collins. End of discussion.

Phil Collins is an archetypal boomer.

Here's my take on Gen Y music - the type that's any good is inspired by the rock forms of the 80s-early 90s, but most of it is bland, drab, generic garbage. I'm not talking about Justin Bieber - there's sucky bubblegum in every era. I'm talking about indie shit. And frankly, at this point in my life I hate hate hate harmonic primitivism. It's just talentless hackery.

Haumea is online
Old 05-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #49
Polymath20
Core Member [741%]
MBTI: ENTP

Originally Posted by Haumea
Phil Collins is an archetypal boomer.

Here's my take on Gen Y music - the type that's any good is inspired by the rock forms of the 80s-early 90s, but most of it is bland, drab, generic garbage. I'm not talking about Justin Bieber - there's sucky bubblegum in every era. I'm talking about indie shit. And frankly, at this point in my life I hate hate hate harmonic primitivism. It's just talentless hackery.

The problem is that all the truly talented, truly indie young artists (not Indie, genre) don't care to make it big. They put music on their blog, on youtube, on ReverbNation, play local shows and starve trying to make ends meet. To find them, you have to go find them. They don't just pop up here and there, nor do they seek publishing.

The level of artistic expression I've seen from peers (my age group) is incredible. I've seen theatrical performances on par with Cirque du Soleil (just with a smaller budget, but not lacking for talent) and local singers and bands on par with Metallica (from back in the day) - but you know what? They just do it for fun, for the sake of the art.

Polymath20 is online
Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #50
ppu6502
Special Snowflake
MBTI: INTj

Originally Posted by Polymath20
The problem is that all the truly talented, truly indie young artists (not Indie, genre) don't care to make it big. They put music on their blog, on youtube, on ReverbNation, play local shows and starve trying to make ends meet. To find them, you have to go find them. They don't just pop up here and there, nor do they seek publishing.

So, what defines them as truly talented? Being obscure?

Originally Posted by Polymath20
The level of artistic expression I've seen from peers (my age group) is incredible. I've seen theatrical performances on par with Cirque du Soleil (just with a smaller budget, but not lacking for talent) and local singers and bands on par with Metallica (from back in the day) - but you know what? They just do it for fun, for the sake of the art.

mimicry as expression? maybe. art? not imo.