MBTI and Music preference? None
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
jetplane48
Member [17%]
MBTI: ESTP

I'm doing a psych experiment at school and I just need to know if there are any case studies or reports about the four temperaments and their taste in music? I was thinking -

NT - Classical, Jazz, Oldies etc
NF - Soul, RnB, Opera etc

SP - Rock, Pop, Rap, Hip Hop etc
SJ - Rock, Metal? idk etc

Can you guys help me out?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
INTelliJent
Veteran Member [87%]
MBTI: INTJ

NT here.

Metal (especially technical varieties), Rock, Classical.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
CaesAug
Member [04%]

NT here

Hip-hop, R&B, Classical, Rock, Soul, Pop
Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
FruitLoop
Member [12%]

MBTI: iNTj

NT, anything except horribly sad music, and anything with loud grating screaming in it. Tend to end up listening to more modern music, and electronic music.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
FarmlandTension
Veteran Member [79%]
MBTI: INxx

I'm NT, I have a relatively broad taste in music. Rock, Metal, Ska, Swing, Country, Classical, Jazz, Indie, Alternative rock, Traditional Irish, Folk music, Bluegrass, Videogame music, Soundtracks, choir music, Parody, Comedy, Nu Metal, Trock, and bits of pop, electronic, and punk.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
mcdonn123
New Member [01%]

I'm an NT and I generally find that I like any kind of music that is "catchy", has a good beat, and "speaks to me" (e.g. reflects what I feel or think). Never liked what I would call "lyrics centered music" such as country or rap.

I do like metal, death metal, dubstep, epica, trailer music, and music that I grew up with (because it makes me nostalgia)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Atamagahen
Core Member [110%]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQkVGStd1D0
MBTI: INTX

Alternative (especially from the 90s), classic, rock...pretty much certain songs from any genre except for country, gospel, and grindcore. I can't stand those.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
peaceinwar
Veteran Member [90%]

MBTI: ISFJ

SJ - I have a wide range of musical taste, it has to move me in some way, be interesting, and creative. What I generally do not like- Commercial country, heavy metal, pop, hardcore rap. Good luck on your experiment.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
psychosylocibin
Member [15%]

NT here.

For listening/enjoyment purposes only I tend to gravitate towards music that is complex/has elements in it that I can analyze and make me think. I also like music that is "grand".

I prefer Progressive Rock/Metal and Romantic Classical Music

Between the buried and me
Dream Theatre
Mastodon
Protest the Hero
Liszt
Debussy
Rachmaninoff
Muse
Radiohead
Jason Mraz (huh?)

Music I tend to avoid:
Bubblegum pop (unless I'm out at the clubs/parties just having fun)
Hip Hop without melody or lyrical depth
Country
Easy Listening
Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
ajrosales
Member [05%]
MBTI: ENTJ

this thread was made a few weeks ago:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Sethis
Member [23%]
MBTI: iNTj

About everything except commercial RnB crap. Most of the time it's metal though. I like it's complexity and passion.

Originally Posted by jetplane48
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I was thinking -

Why?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Kisai
Core Member [431%]
Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
MBTI: XXXX

Kisai is online
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
HarleyQuinn
Member [09%]
Laugh this off... puddin'!

NT

Tastes run the gamut but primarily...

- Melodic Punk (think slower punk of the 70's, 80's as opposed to Hardcore)
- Punk inspired Hard Rock (think some of the Grunge movement, Riot Grrrl movement, or mid 90's bands like The Offspring)
- Melodic Metal (Fan of Symphonic Metal, Industrial, and bands like Metallica who wrote complex songs that were still memorable and riff-tastic)

Dislike
- Country. Just not hard enough for me most of the time and I have trouble relating to the lyrics.
- Hip Hop. Not a fan of people who can't play instruments. Also too vocal & bass focused.
- Screamcore/Various growly Metal. You can do a growl? Yay. Now try singing.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Antares
Core Member [225%]

Originally Posted by jetplane48
I'm doing a psych experiment at school and I just need to know if there are any case studies or reports about the four temperaments and their taste in music? I was thinking -

Can you guys help me out?

I would say SJs are probably drawn to some classical (not the experimental ones in the 20th century) and country, as well as pop, gospel, rock (again, not the experimental variety). I like metal myself, though not nearly as much as Classical.

Originally Posted by psychosylocibin
NT here.

For listening/enjoyment purposes only I tend to gravitate towards music that is complex/has elements in it that I can analyze and make me think. I also like music that is "grand".

I prefer Progressive Rock/Metal and Romantic Classical Music

Between the buried and me
Dream Theatre
Mastodon
Protest the Hero
Liszt
Debussy
Rachmaninoff
Muse
Radiohead
Jason Mraz (huh?)

Music I tend to avoid:
Bubblegum pop (unless I'm out at the clubs/parties just having fun)
Hip Hop without melody or lyrical depth
Country
Easy Listening

Hello, twin. My favorite bands are Symphony X and Dream Theater (right now). As for composers: Beethoven, Mahler, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Wagner, Bach. The dominance of German-Russians is not accidental. Something in their culture really clicks with me.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Lykaon
New Member [01%]

I'm an NT. I do like oldies, but not so much classical and Jazz. I also listen to country, but I'm from Texas so maybe that's more nurture than nature.

I don't listen to music that doesn't have good lyrics. I mostly ignore the actual nuances of the music and only focus on what's being said. I think that's why country appeals to me. I'd say I'm generally attracted to the overall musical theme, but I'm not the sort of person who can listen to a song and pick out each instrument.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
Booko
Veteran Member [87%]
Poultry in motion

I'm not a big fan of Country, especially the pop sort of Country, but I'll listen to anything if it's well done, and especially if it has more to it than the same damned chord progression IV, V, I.

I usually prefer something on the dissonant side. Unusual metres or polyrhythms don't hurt, but that's a bit hard to come by.

If you're looking for correlations between types and music, I don't expect you're going to find all that much beyond a tendency for introverts to prefer more dissonance.

There does seem to be more than a few prog metal fans here though. It may be a statistical anomaly though.

---------- Post added 05-04-2012 at 12:13 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Kisai

Thanks, Kisai. I passed them along to our son, so they'll be showing up on the family playlist.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Antares
Core Member [225%]

Originally Posted by Booko
I'm not a big fan of Country, especially the pop sort of Country, but I'll listen to anything if it's well done, and especially if it has more to it than the same damned chord progression IV, V, I.

I usually prefer something on the dissonant side. Unusual metres or polyrhythms don't hurt, but that's a bit hard to come by.

If you're looking for correlations between types and music, I don't expect you're going to find all that much beyond a tendency for introverts to prefer more dissonance.

I like inventive music. While composers like Rachmaninoff and Chopin create many beautiful pieces, they're not very adventurous. To be truly inventive is to take unusual elements- and make something so exquisitely beautiful and unique out of it. To me, that's the role of dissonance and unusual meters in my music taste. It's unusual and keeps your brain alive. BUT it has to really work in the piece. Too many failed experiments out there. In this aspect Shostakovich, Stravinsky and Prokofiev really shine.

There does seem to be more than a few prog metal fans here though. It may be a statistical anomaly though.

Prog metal seems to be quite an introspective genre.