Closed Thread
Mobile Web Version? None
Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
superflax
Member [33%]
MBTI: ENFJ

I think this is in the right place...
It would be nice to have a mobile web friendly version of the site so I can view it on my iPhone when I'm on the go and bored.

Right now, logging in taking forever and the page looks awful.

Just a casual suggestion...Thanks!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
davai
Core Member [224%]
MBTI: ISFj

The main problem I have on my iphone is the go to next unread post button (the triangle thing) which is way too small and I frequently end up on someone's profile because i've pressed the wrong thing. Manually zooming right in close every time to hit that button is a bit of a chore.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Jezebel
Administrator
The Grand High Poo-Bah
MBTI: INTJ

Originally Posted by superflax View Post
It would be nice to have a mobile web friendly version of the site so I can view it on my iPhone when I'm on the go and bored.

Right now, logging in taking forever and the page looks awful.

I agree that we should implement a mobile version. However, as an owner of an iPhone myself, I don't notice any differences in the loading time or page appearance on my iPhone beyond everything being smaller.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
stealthfighter
Core Member [105%]

Why not an app like the ones for CNN and NatGeo? Though I understand it's going to cost a lot to develop a program like that. Still an INTJf mobile would be something that can come handy for an INTJ.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
superflax
Member [33%]

Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post
I agree that we should implement a mobile version. However, as an owner of an iPhone myself, I don't notice any differences in the loading time or page appearance on my iPhone beyond everything being smaller.

Can you sign in?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
fokalina
Member [34%]
This is how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.
1 John 3:19-20 speaks to me today

Can you sign in?

I can.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Jezebel
Administrator
The Grand High Poo-Bah

Originally Posted by stealthfighter View Post
Why not an app like the ones for CNN and NatGeo? Though I understand it's going to cost a lot to develop a program like that. Still an INTJf mobile would be something that can come handy for an INTJ.

We haven't done this because it is expensive, but it's something we may implement at a later date.

Can you sign in?

Yes. What iPhone version are you using?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
JackCY
Core Member [170%]
Hugglebot 9000

On my tiny Nokia E51, I didn't have a problem to use INTJf and Chatroom (mobile standalone IRC client). The website is very simple and nice in design and it's easy to show on a mobile device.
With a phone like iPhone it must be very easy as it has a big screen, you can easily zoom etc.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Thinker
Core Member [137%]
Only one life...make it a good one
MBTI: INTj

The only problem I have with the site is that it hangs when I click on "Log out"....I then can't use the safari browser until I re-boot the phone.
So...I don't log out
Otherwise the site works fine.

I have IOS 5.1 on an iPhone 4S
Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
Person056
Member [32%]
"The only thing you can change about someone is how you react to them."
MBTI: INFJ

I'll dare to be different. I have a Droid 2 Global. Don't have a problem using it on my phone except I can't scroll through the smilies which is still okay because I memorized most of my favorites . Also it is difficult to navigate my notification drop down but you kinda get used to it.

Actually... this was posted using my mobile phone.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
dvdhrns
Member [04%]
"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." - Isaac Newton

I view the site through the Dolphin browser on my HTC EVO and it displays quite well. I do need to occasionally resize the window to click on things but it isn't difficult. An app would be nice. Mobile sites tend to bug me because they usually don't have all of the same options / content as the full site.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
deconspire
Core Member [367%]
i carry no ca$h
MBTI: INTP

I'll dare to be even more different. I view the site of a shitty $50 virgin mobile prepaid phone (hey, so maybe I'm a drug dealer) and it actually loaded pages faster than my laptop when the server was slow. The only thing that is different, as Thinker commented, is hang-up when I logout. But no big deal for me I suppose. I don't think a mobile version would do anything for me, but maybe all your newfangled computer phones would benefit.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
superflax
Member [33%]

Well I try to sign in and I get the welcome to INTJf splash screen but if I try and comment, I am asked to sign in again?

When I changed the orientation to landscape and view it over a WiFi connection, the site loads up much better. So that's an improvement
Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Iota Null
Core Member [306%]
"You resolve to die a glorious death, as described above."

The main problems I have with browsing on my iPhone are that opening drop-down menus is sometimes a headache and that typing in those menus has an annoying habit of exiting the text box, zooming in to maximum and skipping back to the top of the page.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Zenettii
New Member [01%]
OpenSource - OpenMinds

Forum apps on smartphones do make it much easier to navigate around for sure. there are some really nice ones out there. I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone on this set of forums who is capable of developing such an app, but unless this thread/idea is brought to their attention, you're not likely to get a volunteer.

If I remember correctly, iPhone users can not get free apps? (been a while since I used iphone, might be incorrect here!) but I'm sure most users would be happy to pay a small fee for such an app.
Just a question of whether that money goes to intjforum.com or the developer.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
JustMel
Core Member [432%]
It was once said that love is giving someone the ability to destroy you, but trusting them not to.

Originally Posted by Zenettii View Post
Forum apps on smartphones do make it much easier to navigate around for sure. there are some really nice ones out there. I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone on this set of forums who is capable of developing such an app, but unless this thread/idea is brought to their attention, you're not likely to get a volunteer.

If I remember correctly, iPhone users can not get free apps? (been a while since I used iphone, might be incorrect here!) but I'm sure most users would be happy to pay a small fee for such an app.

We've had people volunteer before. There's a thread somewhere in S&F that talks about this same subject.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Sinequanon
Veteran Member [96%]
Begin from being no one, rise higher and higher to hit the ground.
MBTI: INFJ

Originally Posted by JustMel View Post
We've had people volunteer before. There's a thread somewhere in S&F that talks about this same subject.

Volunteering is not necessary. There are mobile vBulletin templates, which is what you would want to use to maximize compatibility between the various devices (rather than a native application, which would have to be coded separately for iOS and Android and Blackberry and etc). I believe administration has said that custom forum tweaks prevent such a tweak from being a drop-in solution, however. I also looked this up a little earlier today and it's not exactly cheap.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
JustMel
Core Member [432%]
It was once said that love is giving someone the ability to destroy you, but trusting them not to.

Originally Posted by Sinequanon View Post
Volunteering is not necessary. There are mobile vBulletin templates, which is what you would want to use to maximize compatibility between the various devices (rather than a native application, which would have to be coded separately for iOS and Android and Blackberry and etc). I believe administration has said that custom forum tweaks prevent such a tweak from being a drop-in solution, however. I also looked this up a little earlier today and it's not exactly cheap.

I knew it had come up before but i don't get on the forum via my phone often. When I do I have the same issues with the little arrows that others have complained about. I skip it most of the time if my phone is the only way to get on the forum. My Android handles the loading and all fine, just too small and it takes too long to type on the touch screen. I may log on via my phone more when I go back to the full keyboard later this year. *shrug*

Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
Zenettii
New Member [01%]
OpenSource - OpenMinds

Originally Posted by Sinequanon View Post
I also looked this up a little earlier today and it's not exactly cheap.

Sinequanon, what gets expensive? do you need to pay to put it on the market?
If so, what if something like Brainapp.com was used rather than official markets?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
Jezebel
Administrator
The Grand High Poo-Bah

We don't accept forum member volunteers for anything that would involve giving access to our forum code or database. It's a security issue. The forum gets some money through donations and advertising and we put part of that toward hiring outside help for the forum.

iPhone users can get free apps.

Us.

Sinequanon, what gets expensive? do you need to pay to put it on the market?
If so, what if something like Brainapp.com was used rather than official markets?

It is $99/yr and $50 per app for the iPhone's App Store and a one time fee of $25 for the Android Marketplace. The official vBulletin Mobile Suite is $199 then $99/yr for support and upgrades. We have to pay the app store fees regardless of how we get the app. It would be cheaper to use the vBulletin app than hire a programmer to make the same thing, so we would likely go that route if we decide to offer an app at some point.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
dydx
New Member [01%]

Did some research and found Forum Runner that hooks into vBulletin for free, and the iOS/Android app is free in read-only view, and costs $1.99 to get full app functionality. A native app experience would be superb.

So no cost for forum operators, and $2 for members who want a nice mobile experience.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
Munglik
Veteran Member [76%]
MBTI: INTP

Originally Posted by Iota Null View Post
The main problems I have with browsing on my iPhone are that opening drop-down menus is sometimes a headache and that typing in those menus has an annoying habit of exiting the text box, zooming in to maximum and skipping back to the top of the page.

This is the main problem I've got with it.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
Jezebel
Administrator
The Grand High Poo-Bah

Originally Posted by jnewton View Post
Did some research and found Forum Runner that hooks into vBulletin for free, and the iOS/Android app is free in read-only view, and costs $1.99 to get full app functionality. A native app experience would be superb.

So no cost for forum operators, and $2 for members who want a nice mobile experience.

We've looked into Forum Runner before and it isn't a solution that would work for us. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
Frosted
Banned

MBTI: INTj

Just modify the CSS to be lighter for mobile devices. The modified CSS can be made to show only on mobile devices.
Closed Thread