Anyone else find it weird to call your closest friends by their names? None
Old 04-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #26
WillBrazil
Member [07%]
MBTI: INTJ

No. Usually, I call my friends the same way I see their other friends calling them, be it their name or nickname.

And I'm used to say people names when I want they to take an especial attention at something. It usually works.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #27
intjistp
Member [24%]

MBTI: xxxx

Never thought that, but when thinking. I am never in more company than of two.
So I don't have any need for names.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #28
holdyourhead
Veteran Member [62%]
Some days all I can be fucked to say is "fuck that".

With my partner I rarely use her name. I always call her either: babe, baby, babes, boo, baby boo, darling, angel, sweety, etc... or some of those prefixed with sexy or gorgeous.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Or just sexy or gorgeous on its own.

With anyone else, i.e. work colleagues or family, I probably do this:

Originally Posted by WillBrazil
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
No. Usually, I call my friends the same way I see their other friends calling them, be it their name or nickname.

And I'm used to say people names when I want they to take an especial attention at something. It usually works.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #29
Frays
Member [02%]

I know what you mean. I thought I was the only one who felt awkward addressing people by their names. I've always felt that a name was just something practical - syllables used to discern between people; I am very "detached" from names.

I prefer to use nicknames; they are more endearing and have more personal meaning behind them.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #30
deconspire
Core Member [366%]
i carry no ca$h
MBTI: INTP

Never use names. It's man, or lady, or dude, or a nickname. Names are for when you're angry or trying to lay it on thick. It does make me a bit awkward to use them...like I'm at work or something.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #31
storm eyes
Core Member [163%]
"catching bullets in my teeth"
MBTI: INFJ

I love calling people by their name but you can almost guarantee I will give them a few add-ons of a personal nature.

Mostly people stutter over my name, they never sound natural saying it, so they change it up all the time. ~shrugs~ or maybe it is because people are uncomfortable using people's names...hmm...
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #32
dvdhrns
Member [04%]
"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." - Isaac Newton

It's not with everyone, but I rarely call my wife by her first name. (I don't use her last name either). But even with others I tend to shy away from using names when speaking directly to them. Speaking about someone to a third party, I would use a name with no awkwardness. (I commonly might also identify a person to another by saying, "the girl with the empty expression, etc).

I think it may be related to my being bad at recalling names until I've known someone for quite a while. My hypothesis as to why I can remember certain things with incredible detail but not a simple name is that my mind may not be assigning a very high value to knowing names. It takes far more exposures to the name in context to shift it into long-term memory than it would to remembers specific details of a new system I may developing. (Honestly I'll probably be troubleshooting some concept or potential solution in my head while talking to people, further distracting me from my "social duty" to know what someone is called).
Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #33
INTJane
Core Member [1669%]
What would you like to know?

No, I don't find it weird. I use people's names.