Animal Lover? None
Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
dvdhrns
Member [04%]
"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." - Isaac Newton
MBTI: INTJ

I've always been very fond of animals, particularly dogs. I've had a dog or cat nearly at every point in my life. I seem to understand and be understood by them in a way that others around me do/are not. I often prefer dogs to humans because are that they are intelligent, loyal, and they don't talk.

I'm curious if this is common among INTJ. Do you have a pet? Do you find your antisocial INTJ traits draw you to be closer to an animal than most humans since animals have much fewer social demands and tend not to chatter on about nothing day and night?

Finally, I am horrible at picking up on social cues - I believe because I am so uncomfortable in social situations. I am very observant otherwise however. I always tend to have a very easy and quick connection with dogs, and I believe this is why. I pay attention to the cues they give, catalog them in my brain, and respond in the appropriate manner.

Of course then there are also all of those middle and high school years where I would be home reading a book or designing a fortress or something. Hanging out with my dog instead of school friends.

What do you think?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
MyotisLucifugus
Member [17%]

I interrupted a class the other day to pick up a spider and take it out of the room. In my opinion, the freaking out about it in the first place was the actual disruption, not me, but it happens at least once per semester -- bitching from the front of the room, followed by me picking up the tiny, inoffensive thing and walking it outside.

I actually, uh, sprung a mousetrap yesterday with the intention of replacing it with a Hav-A-Heart. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the second one below the sink and now it's all irrelevant. Ugh.

My username is the taxonomic classification for the Little Brown Bat, which is a slight play on my name.

I've just been fascinated with animals since I was little, and I don't see it fading any time soon. I blame my father and all his "look at this cool snake/spider/rodent" lectures from my childhood.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
JadeScholar
Member [02%]
MBTI: INtJ

I have a degree in wildlife science precisely because I loved working with animals. Some of my fondest memories are of doing raptor surveys and studying tide pools. I definately prefer working with animals than dealing with humans, even when they are divebombing you with very sharp claws and beaks. At least they are honest.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Oros Ull
Core Member [154%]
I can never really tell if Iím slowly going mad or just coming to terms with a bizarre reality.
MBTI: INFJ

I have always had animals, probably hundreds by now. I love learning about them and having them around. Unfortunately I live in an apartment right now so I can only have little critters like my Mice and Tarantula. And lots of bugs come and go. I almost always have a bug collection. Last years were Jumping Spiders and Wheel Bugs. Who knows what I will catch this year.

I often do what ML mentioned about saving the bugs from people who feel the need to freak out over them. I really donít understand what their problems are. Itís just a bug for Christ sake!

Any person who has ever met me knows the easiest way to piss me off is to kill a bug or any animal for that matter. Bugs are just the most common.

I strongly preferred the animals company to peers or my families. Honestly I always felt I communicate and understand animals a whole lot more than people.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
omniblade
Member [48%]
MBTI: ENTP

I love animals.

I used to have a guinea pig. I wouldn't know what to say sometimes in public, so I walked around with my guinea pig in a hoodie pouch. The hoodie had a sort of kangaroo pouch on the front so the guinea pig couldn't crawl out the sides of the pouch.

Having the guinea pig in there would draw people to me, so we could start talking about animals.

I would bring my guinea pig to work, even. I had a mini cage for him. My co-workers didn't mind because they loved the guinea pig, and customers loved him too. The guinea pig ended up drawing more audiences to the store.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
MONADANOM
Member [07%]
MBTI: intj

Animals have a certain innocence I find appealing. If they like you, they show it; if they donít, they show it---no eye-rolling, beating around the bush, or calculating how to squeeze the maximum out of a relationship with minimal effort.
Animals just tend to be better people than people do...
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
reckful
Core Member [643%]

I'd say I've always been above-average in the animal-loving department.

Also see this recent thread:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Minerva
Core Member [268%]
Underpromise and Overdeliver!
MBTI: ISFJ

Originally Posted by dvdhrns
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've always been very fond of animals, particularly dogs. I've had a dog or cat nearly at every point in my life. I seem to understand and be understood by them in a way that others around me do/are not. I often prefer dogs to humans because are that they are intelligent, loyal, and they don't talk.

Not an INTJ, but I love dogs and other animals for these same reasons and others.

I'm curious if this is common among INTJ. Do you have a pet? Do you find your antisocial INTJ traits draw you to be closer to an animal than most humans since animals have much fewer social demands and tend not to chatter on about nothing day and night?

Grew up on a dairy goat farm and I have always had dogs and a couple of cats too. I am not really antisocial. Don't care for many people's company though, but I am all for pets!

Finally, I am horrible at picking up on social cues - I believe because I am so uncomfortable in social situations. I am very observant otherwise however. I always tend to have a very easy and quick connection with dogs, and I believe this is why. I pay attention to the cues they give, catalog them in my brain, and respond in the appropriate manner.

Of course then there are also all of those middle and high school years where I would be home reading a book or designing a fortress or something. Hanging out with my dog instead of school friends.

What do you think?

Cues from animals are considerably lower in number. There are also far fewer variations so it is much simpler to discern what a dog is trying to "say".

Yeah, I hung out with my animals more than school friends.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Warrior
Core Member [407%]

Originally Posted by dvdhrns
Do you have a pet?

We have a fish. It is kind of a pain because I'm the one who feeds it and changes its water. If I didn't have to feed it or change the water, I would probably never notice it.

Do you find your antisocial INTJ traits draw you to be closer to an animal than most humans since animals have much fewer social demands and tend not to chatter on about nothing day and night?

No. If dogs aren't chattering on day and night, why do the neighbors' dogs make so much noise?

What do you think?

I grew up on a farm. I cared for animals for eighteen years. I guess I just don't want to do it any more. I don't find the company of animals particularly comforting or necessary, although there are some animals I don't mind too much. I have no desire to be cruel or anything like that, but I also don't have a problem killing nuisance animals like rats and opossums.

Warrior is online
Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
MyotisLucifugus
Member [17%]

Originally Posted by Oros Ull
Unfortunately I live in an apartment right now so I can only have little critters like my Mice and Tarantula.

Is it a Chilean Rose? They're awesome.

Last years were Jumping Spiders and Wheel Bugs.

One time, after copious amounts of marijuana, I tried to convince all of my friends that gigantic, genetically engineered jumping spiders would make travel so much more convenient than cars. I forgot that with an increase in size they'd become huge predatory threats (good going, mastermind). I still love them, though.

Seriously, who wouldn't want to bounce around town, over rooftops, on the back of one of those?

Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
mieu
Core Member [194%]
/)^3^(\
MBTI: xNTx

I fucking love animals ('fucking' used emphatically, not verb-ally, of course). Grew up with tons of pets and I always have some sort of critter in the house.

I'm a dog person too, they're truly man's best friend. I don't understand the INTJs who dislike dogs and prefer cats. Dogs are as close to an ENFP animal as you can get (though I swear one of the dogs I had growing up was IxTx), always accepting, just needing a little affection here or there, and can read you better than most people.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
reckful
Core Member [643%]

Originally Posted by mieu
I don't understand the INTJs who dislike dogs and prefer cats. Dogs are as close to an ENFP animal as you can get.

I agree with the ENFP/dog comparison, and can't resist quoting Keirsey:

Originally Posted by Keirsey
Here is the herald, the spirited bearer of tidings. But underneath this effervescent enthusiasm is a person fiercely dedicated to "meaning" in life and reminiscent of the INFP crusader. Only the ENFP neither crusades nor meditates, not for long anyway. The ENFP is into everything, frisky, not unlike a puppy, sniffing around to see what's new. ENFP has to be in on everything, can't bear to be left out of anything.
The INTJ ... is ... attracted to the ENFP, ... probably because of the enthusiastic, effervescent, and apparently spontaneous enjoyment and wonderment this type exudes ó the very antithesis of the careful, thoughtful exactitude of the INTJ.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
roninpro
Member [12%]

There are two things that I really hate: kids and animals. The issue is that they always seem to want to hang around me.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
SaturnEternity
Member [06%]
Nobody double crosses the monarch!
MBTI: IXTJ

Pets > People.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
Scrotus
Member [14%]

I love animals ;__;. They never turn off their brains. Some (subjectively ignorant) people think animals live in a constant state of "fear", but I think they actually live in a constant state of alertness. This seems to be something many humans have forgotten.

Alertness = Aware of subtle change in one's surroundings
Fear = Helplessness/Not-knowing how to handle an observation/thing that is potentially causing said observation
Curiosity = Examining an unknown/foreign observation to understand what it is/how it functions.

Animals are alert and curious more often than fearful, much like INTJs. Humans are so advanced that they write off being like animals because that'd be too primitive. However, I tend to think: Well, if it's so simple, why not do it and master it, then do your fancyshmancy advanced techniques? But that's too complicated for most...Alertness to detail and use of intuition at the same time is...taxing on many brains XD. One less more for the rest lmao XD.

Personal Rant:
  1. I hate when people are like "wow your dog is so crazy!" Half the time, the animal is NOT crazy and there are actually trends to their habits.
  2. I also hate when people give animals personification and they're serious...like when people say, "God your dog is just such a mean asshole!" At this point, I will ridicule people's psyches with reasoning when they judge animals using (from my limited perspective of course) stupid reasoning.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
static
New Member [01%]

I love dogs and will admit to the axiom of judging people based on how the treat and view dogs.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
groovyltlchick
New Member [01%]

I have always found it easier to commune with nature and animals than my own species. Pets are smart, loving creatures that give back love unconditionally. It only makes sense that a logical thinking INTJ would adhere more so to the furry than the incomprehensible human.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #18
intjistp
Member [24%]

MBTI: xxxx

Funny, many NTs has natural way to understand animal communication. They just are not used to meet animals. They have mostly the same misinterpretation of animals and their communication as anybody else (animals are innocent, totally honest, warm, loving).

Best thing to start is to understand that in our character, intelligent, sociality and biology are from animal origin. We are animals. We have more common with chicken than with superman, god or computer.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Harmony
Core Member [173%]
Harmony is easier to achieve when you stop trying to control every thing and every one.
MBTI: ENFP

Not an INTJ, but I've always loved all animals. After I turned 1, my parents got a Samoyed pup. Everywhere that dog went, I went. The day she died I was so heartbroken I spent the whole day under a table in the back of the classroom curled up sobbing.

I used to beg my parents to get a kitten... And then one year I accidentally figured out a way to force them to let me keep one... We were at a park and someone had dumped kittens... All but one had been picked up by others... So I was carrying the last remaining kitten around all day and my parents kept reminding me that I couldn't keep it. And then a Collie walked past us and the kitten went for higher ground, which so happened to be the top of my head. I had scratches all over my face (and was dripping blood) from where she climbed my face to get up there. Even after all that, I never put the cat down, and my parents had to let me keep her to make sure she didn't have rabies. She turned out to be one of the best cats ever, too!

Ever since I was 1, there was never a single day where I didn't at least have one pet. When we finally get the trees cut down and a fence up we'll probably get a dog again. Until then, I just don't have the room for one, and don't feel right keeping it cooped up.

I have cried more for any animal that has died than I have when any of my relatives have passed away.... In July 2010, I had to put my bengal down... To this day I still have trouble thinking about her or looking at her picture without getting teary-eyed.... But with my grandpa, who I was really close to, I don't have that same problem. For me, I think it's that pets are so much more innocent than people.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
mormeguil
Member [32%]
MBTI: Intj

I like...some animal. Cats are nice, dogs are annoying. I love reptile and amphibian, but arachnids really are not my cup of tea.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
davai
Core Member [251%]
MBTI: xxxx

Originally Posted by reckful
I agree with the ENFP/dog comparison, and can't resist quoting Keirsey:

Why not ESFP? Can you link me to some dogs theorizing about reality please?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
reckful
Core Member [643%]

^ I wouldn't necessarily disagree that ESFPs share most or all of the relevant characteristics, but I don't have sufficient RL experience with ESFPs to personally attest to that.

I like to think that the dogs I've known best had a somewhat philosophical bent. They certainly seemed content to spend long, interrupted periods just sitting and pondering.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #23
INTJRyan
Core Member [139%]
Now I am become death; the destroyer of worlds.

Yes. Work extensively with retired racing Greyhounds, and have been called the hound whisperer. We take in special needs houndies frequently.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
static
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by intjistp
Funny, many NTs has natural way to understand animal communication. They just are not used to meet animals. They have mostly the same misinterpretation of animals and their communication as anybody else (animals are innocent, totally honest, warm, loving).

Best thing to start is to understand that in our character, intelligent, sociality and biology are from animal origin. We are animals. We have more common with chicken than with superman, god or computer.

This is an interesting perspective, I like it.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
thod
Core Member [325%]

MBTI: INTP

Love my woof-woof girl.