Obsessions None
Old 04-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
Tussenbroek
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTP

Do you ever find yourself completely obsessed with thinking about a particular system or topic? If yes, is there any end to it or does it only further envelop you?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Lilie
Member [29%]
MBTI: INtJ

Yes, though not as much as I used to. It always ends eventually. I've gotten better at resolving these things. They used to be able to last years, now I can work through an obsession in weeks or hours.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
DrAwkward
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTx

Yes, but they change frequently.

I can't be obsessed with something for years, I get incredibly obsessed for 6 months-1 year and then it's over.

A few things I've gone back to but I'm usually alternating.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
castalia
Member [30%]
MBTI: INTJ

Oh yes. It's been a big problem for me. I was in limerence with someone for 5 years and couldn't get the obsessions out of my mind! This experience nearly cost me my degree.
It seems that the older I get, the shorter time the obsessions last.

I wonder if most people go through diminished obsessions as they get older. Or maybe we just know how to deal with them better the older we are.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
FarmlandTension
Veteran Member [77%]
MBTI: INxx

I get obsessed with all sorts of things. I've started going through phases of being obsessed with different actors or directors, but that one's easy enough to solve by just watching as many of their films as I can get my hands on. And then maybe drawing them.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Tussenbroek
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTP

Excellent... You see, I've been on this quest to find a personality type that fits me exactly, which has involved thousands of hours of self reflection and insight, countless reads and rereads of various type profiles and cognitive functions, and finally acquiring the ability to read others types' in a matter of minuets in an effort to identify some trickier parts of myself. This has spanned on and off well over a several years now but has really intensified in the past year. Every time I say I'm done, I find way way right back to it the next day until I'm really done... Leading my girlfriend to believe I obsessing over it, so I simply stopped talking with her about my new insights, which then brought on this whole new thing that maybe I was turning the world and people into something they're not to shield my ego from some horrible trauma; say schizotypal PD, which may not be unfounded, which lead me to the must stunning clarity today that I was subconsciously examining my girlfriend's subconscious (kinda cosmic huh?) and it's wreaking influence on mine. With that, I am certain she has borderline personality disorder that has very intricately and subtly constricted the expansive oak tree that is my brain like horribly detrimental ivy ((Her: Can I just sprout one more inch on your bark?. Me: Isn't that what you said yesterday? And haven't you been depleting my soil nutrients enough? Her:My stems have really been aching me lately, it's whatever, no one cares, not even the sun, who I know has been sending it's rays to me last on purpose to get rid of me. Me... giving in: The sun is not doing that, it showers everyone equally... Fine, you can grow that inch on me if your stems really need it, but I ask that you remember this next time you're feeling like the sun and I purposefully deprive you; you are really a beautiful and special vine that really adds to the whole forest. (Thereby feeding into her true desire and reducing any chance she will be able to grow on her own... goddammit I'm an incompetent fool, maybe it's about time I hop on an some other forum for subsistence; thoughts?) Her: AWW, I love you more than anything!). In conclusion, I may be going insane by all-encompassing obsession, but at least I know I will have gone insane trying. Thanks for the bite-sized (most likely inadvertent) reassurances to persevere in the presence of self-doubt. (In return) Perhaps there are unforeseen secrets locked deep inside your "obsessions" as well?