INTJs are high maintenance employee? None
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Qjiggy
Member [07%]
MBTI: Intj

I'm curious if others have mention this. Some people regard you as a type that traditional employers find difficult to keep in their company? Some would even say that you are a 'prima-dona'?

"I don't think I'm that difficult to keep happy. Just give me space and distance yourself and I'll deliver results. I don't need to run everything by you because it makes me feel that you don't have confidence in my work. If that's the case, what are you paying me for? If you say hat I care and have a big heart-oh man then my skills and everything else that I believe about myself is not appreciated." - that's the conversation I had with my boss. I don't know why he even hired me. The job is not what I was expect. Whic results into an unhappy INTj
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Selene
Veteran Member [94%]
Bourgeois interruptus
MBTI: XXXX

When I first entered the workforce, there were complaints from superiors uneasy with granting more autonomy. Questioning authority and redundant rules caused recurring conflicts as well. The initial problems with INTJs are probably their ability to spot errors and confidence in vocalizing their own assessment. This trait is often mistaken as rebelliousness and arrogance. INTJs aren't blind followers, I think it's difficult for rationals to simply do as they're told without understanding/agreeing with why. IMO it's best to avoid micro managers, they're awful to work with.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
blatimir
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTJ

Interesting! I can actually understand why this is the case or others may have that perception.

Due my ambition, perfectionism, and incredibly high standards, I have in the past solicited feedback on my work / performance from my employers - the frequency of this is highest in the new stages of employment.

Our dedication to self-improvement and always trying to make things better can manifest itself as requiring attention/pats on the back. The intent for this isn't because we need the praise (albeit it is nice) but it is simply a gauge to determine whether our efforts are significant/positive - otherwise what is the point of investing that level of time or effort.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
MONADANOM
Member [07%]
MBTI: intj

High maintenance? Wow, never heard that one before.
Usually Iím told that Iím pretty much Ďset & forgetí until whatever it is gets finished. It gets done; it gets done on time and under budget; and at the very least meets required standards.
The one major comment Iíve gotten that is beyond my understanding is from an ex-supervisor who said that he ďnever knew which way Iíd jumpĒ in a given situation. Since Iíve always considered my actions logical and painfully linear, perhaps that says more about him than about meÖ
Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Autumnleaf
Core Member [292%]

Sensors are like stimulus-response people. They lack the ability to plan several steps into the future without a map and a compass. So what we, I, do sometimes throws them off because when I do something its from a deep well of knowledge and intuition. From their perspective I just did something they didn't understand and often times I didn't run it by them before I did it because it seems like the obvious thing to do from my perspective. I really need to get into another line of work one of these days.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
JonD
Member [41%]

I certainly don't want a job that requires active and constant interaction on a task. I really need some time to myself to complete meaningful segments of work on my own. I've found that unless I get that, I can be difficult to work with. The trick is to avoid getting a job that requires too much of that pesky interaction.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Silverity
Core Member [400%]

Nope, never gotten that feed back before. I think of myself more like the self-martyred employee =P Come in early, stay in late, if no one else will take on the extra project I'll volunteer, if no one else 'doesn't mind' coming in on a weekend I'll be there. To me it's a pleasure, I like working hard for my company.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
envirodude
Core Member [145%]
What makes the desert beautiful, said the little prince, is that somewhere it hides a well.
MBTI: INTx

It all depends on the job. And the boss. Control freaks and INTJs don't mix well. There has to be a level of trust to allow INTJs the freedom to perfect their tasks. I've gotten into trouble where I've gone ahead and done things (to make them better) without checking in with the boss first. Just as the MBTI will give you a list of occupations that suit your personality type, there is a complementary (larger) list of occupations that don't suit a given person. Even within a generally favourable field (e.g I'm an engineer, which fits fine with INTJ) there are many different employers and many different bosses. If a particular job isn't working out, evaluate whether it's more functional to change the situation (job description or relationship with boss) or to change to a different employer.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
kasthu
Member [02%]

MBTI: xxxx

I get the impression that I'm perceived as being somewhat difficult to work with--a little high maintenance and very distant and hard to get to know (I had one coworker express to me that he's never, in the two years he's been acquainted with me, seen me express emotion, I always have that flat expression on my face). I prefer working alone, which leads to some people assuming that I'm not a team player or arrogant.

I also have no qualms about expressing discontent and have been known to go over my ESTJ boss's head when I was going through something tough. I have been harassing him for months now to get me off the time clock system in order to give me more autonomy.

In the past, it's been tough for me to follow rules. In my days in temporary employment, I worked as a receptionist, and every time an employee needed to get into our suite, I'd have to buzz them in, even though they had their own passcard. Not sure why that rule was in place, but I never followed it.

So yes, I think i might be perceived as being a little bit high maintenance.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Thinker
Core Member [146%]
Only one life...make it a good one
MBTI: INTj

No...never had that.
In relation to the "prima donna"....turn down the "J" and try and talk more about what you are doing.

Fortunately I have always worked in organisations where decisions seemed to align with rationality and logic. Not all organisations work this way (believe it or not) and especially large organisations tend to have a variety of cultures.

I have had a lot of experience dealing with middle level managers lately, who seem to be unsettled about their positions. This can make them conservative and protective of their future careers, especially where the business isn't doing so well. They can make bad decisions and/or continually move things up the line (effectively not making decisions).

Understand the culture of the organisation and the motivations of the people you report to. If you find things too difficult getting rational issues dealt with....look for another job because the culture may not be a good fit for you.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Ray9
Veteran Member [87%]
MBTI: intj

A young engineer developed a system and gave it to me to make it work. After analyisis I notified her that I needed to modify the system to make it work. She said no. She sent one of her cronies down to make it work. He couldn't make it work. My boss said we are falling behind and we need to make this work so he told her to come down and make it work. She couldn't make it work. My boss said Ray, make it work. I modified the system and made it work. She still believes her system will work without modification and she is giving seminars all over the world saying her new system will work. She has a bright future. I'm just an INTJ.
Ray9 is online
Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
PRBori
Suspended

I don't think so, but we can be difficult to work with, specially if we feel everything around us is chaos and we feel the urge to fix it.

I get in trouble quite a bit for saying it like it is, regardless of their role. If something doesn't make sense I say it, no merry go rounds. If they ask for my help about specific subject and then bitch about it after I've provided my input I withdraw and let them sink themselves into it. Works like a charm...

But yes, to many we are seen as high maintenance, but most important, we are seen as a threat to others, which doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it is sometimes. Nobody likes to admit they are wrong and/or be proven wrong.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
Distance
Core Member [717%]
Ennui
MBTI: eNTj

I only recalled one INTJ employee named...Bob (not kidding). He was a bit surly and a touch condescending but he was very intelligent. What was difficult was that he really hated to be questioned when asked to present a solution or suggestion. So instead of questioning him, I had someone else verify his findings or suggestions. Most often, he was right. But when he was wrong, he was way off target and had difficulty admitting this.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
eagleseven
Core Member [291%]
MBTI: XNXX

I have a relatively high degree of autonomy in my job, and my boss uses me like a fire-and-forget missile. In a given week, I'll at most hear a few lines of spoken instructions from my immediate boss, as it's assumed that I'll do what needs to be done.

With regards to problems, I tend to use my authority to resolve them myself, only bringing something to the boss's attention if I'm dealing with someone above my level. I'll hear from her if I make a poor or confusing judgment call.

On the other hand, they pay for it. I'm one of the best-paid recent grads at my level.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Qjiggy
Member [07%]

"I was referred to by peers, one time at my work, and was called "upper-management" as though i'm higher than my boss. I didn't think twice about that comment, only to make sense of it now.

I'm really good at following instructions, goals, etc.. but when given slight chance of autonomy.. i do even better things. I wow my bosses of what I can accomplish. From tasks on hand to leading my team members. i can accomplish more when given my own space.. and i've proven this time after time.

i just hate it when i remind my boss on what he is doing, and he turns it around like i'm some kind of idiot. it really pisses me off. i know what i can do to turn this around, but to what point? all i want is my own space, leave my work to me. It's what he's paying me to do anyways. Why offer a "helping hand" when i never asked for it. Why offer "insider tips" when i'm the one giving the tips. Really annoying for an INTJ. If this keeps up, i hope he is ready for me. Hopefully before then, he has done me the favor and letting me go (firing me). i really don't mind helping others, or even being their doormat to step on; but as long as i get what i'm asking. Guess what i'm asking for isn't easy for some to give..." -- that to me, doesn't make me high maintenance, but in a way, in their shoes, it leads them to believe that i am. I'm going to break him down and blow him up!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #16
Noiresque
Member [04%]

like a boss is not a boss; boss is boss. he signs your check and decides how far you can go in that establishment.

my advice is to do what you do and work toward the next step in your career/life, whether it be in the current company or another. it's alot of work and heartache to change a small man, sometimes without proper compensation.

learn what you can and use this as a stepping stone for the next big thing.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #17
holdyourhead
Veteran Member [81%]
Some days all I can be fucked to say is "fuck that".

Due to my previous work location being dominated by people who would rather stand around talking 90 percent of the day rather than actually working it was very hard for me to get along with colleagues. Management however were always relying on me to "get the job done' and I would usually take things on my own back without any guidance, direction or orders. Whenever there was a complete lack of other staff or informed management present I would assume the role and make my own judgement call on what to do and then proceed with it regardless. So I really don't think I'm high maintenance. Quite the opposite.
holdyourhead is online
Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
searches89
Member [04%]

It depends. I have an ISTJ coworker who is what I consider high maintenance. If someone assigns her a task/project, you have to hold her hand through it and give her directions step by step on what to do, or else she doesn't know what to do/complains/doesn't finish the project. But someone could assign me a similar task/project, and I'll be able to work on it/figure things out, so just from my own experience, I consider myself low maintenance, since I can figure things out on my own/take initiative/complete tasks successfully without needing maintenance (holding hands/step by step directions, check ups etc)
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
Atamagahen
Core Member [111%]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQkVGStd1D0
MBTI: INTX

It depends on the job. If I'm interested in what I'm doing, then I'm a pretty dedicated and loyal worker. If not, then I may stray from doing the desired job. In any case, I very much prefer to do things my way.
Atamagahen is online
Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
Qjiggy
Member [07%]

i'm still dedicated, i'll be a loyal worker till my time comes. problem is, time is coming to a close. gotta act right, and move on to bigger things. that's whats up ;p