Are you a remarkable employee? None
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
paolability
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ

After joining a bunch of groups on LinkedIn, I came across this article:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I had a sneaking suspicion of what I would find.

Are you a remarkable employee? Do you think the article describes INTJ traits?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Cooper
Core Member [1853%]
"There will come a day when my heart is a cold hard stone. That is the day I will smile."

According to that list, and what some of my past bosses have said....yes, I am.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Undead Bonzi
Member [49%]
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
MBTI: ESFP

I am the tits.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
mieu
Core Member [194%]
/)^3^(\
MBTI: xNTx

Originally Posted by Undead Bonzi
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am the tits.

Well I'm the tits pajamas.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
QuantumEnigma
Member [12%]

Yes and Yes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
envirodude
Core Member [145%]
What makes the desert beautiful, said the little prince, is that somewhere it hides a well.
MBTI: INTx

You know, I saw this in Linked In myself and immediately thought INTJ. So yes to number two. My own remarkableness is rather more in question at present.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Qjiggy
Member [07%]
MBTI: Intj

people with high confidence will say that they are "remarkable employee". its not just exclusive to INTJs.

I will not admit in public that i'm "remarkable employee". only because labelling myself that, paints a target towards me. Next thing you know, everyone around me stops pulling their weight, and i gotta do it myself. INTJ trait: rather do it yourself if its something important and don't trust anyone else to do it.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
PRBori
Suspended

I believe I am, and I believe it describes me to a T.. Let's see...

1. They ignore job descriptions.

Hmm... Guilty as charge. Job descriptions barely cover the amount of work I do.*

2. They’re eccentric...

I guess being a Nerd is eccentric to many...*

3. But they know when to dial it back.

Yeap, but is not always as easy as it sounds. I want to improve everything.

4. They publicly praise...

Of course, everyone I work with is awesome, with the exception of a few, but overall I'm all about team efforts.*

5. And they privately complain.

Hmmm... Depends, but I do complain to management as needed, specially when I'm stressed out

6. They speak when others won’t.

Must do to survive at work. Key to a successful career.*

7. They like to prove others wrong.

All the time, nerdy gal with no college. What can I say, I'm bless

8. They’re always fiddling.

Of course, otherwise is boring and perfection is good, but I must admit, I'm not perfect at all, just smart.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
Mogura
Core Member [182%]
I am not the droid you're looking for...
MBTI: INFJ

If you truly have all of these qualities, you might as well start your own business, as opposed to wasting them on a mediocre company.

I give this article a poppycock rating of 8/10.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #10
thod
Core Member [317%]

MBTI: INTP

Reminds me of the lists us sexists make describing the perfect woman. The women don't agree. Why the heck would I want to be the perfect employee? I want to be my own man.
thod is online
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
Arcanist
Core Member [194%]
MBTI: xxxx

Hilarity. Unless I have a generous contract, employers get the minimum required.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
AnotherAvatar
Banned

Notice how there wasn't any mention of 'getting the job done better then everyone else'.

Another clue to how far this society has departed from reality.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
spock84
Member [02%]

MBTI: INTx

Since I'm posting this from work, I'm inclined to answer "no"
but this article doesn't say anything about that.. I suspect the article was written by an INTJ/INTP.

1. They ignore job descriptions.

Yes and no. If I'm asked to do something I normally don't do, I never hesitate, but I don't actively seek out new responsibilities that don't fit my job description. I like doing what I do.

2. They’re eccentric...

Absolutely! I don't look too unusual, other than the fact that I dress very casually, often wear dumb print T-shirts etc.

3. But they know when to dial it back

Definitely. I always know when it's appropriate to do as I'm told.

4. They publicly praise...

I don't do this often, but if I think someone did a good job, had a relevant revelation (i.e. good solution to a problem we shared) I almost instinctively let them know I'm happy or impressed with what they did. For that reason I would probably make a popular boss (at least among those who are competent and productive), but leadership is not really my thing unless it's strictly necessary to prevent a disaster.

5. And they privately complain.

Yes. I'm not making any drama in a group setting. I'd rather talk to my boss or candidly with co-workers that I trust not to mess things up.

6. They speak when others won’t.

Yes. I don't always say much in meetings, but I always ask for clarification if something is unclear or if I think something is being deliberately kept out of the discussion. Understanding things is crucial to me to form an opinion. If I agree with something, I might stay quiet if I don't think it's a big issue, or I'll just say "I agree, let's do it that way!" if it's something I feel is important. If I disagree with something I'm very clear about that and I do my best to express why, even if it's not always evident to myself.

7. They like to prove others wrong.

Like most people here, I don't like to think of it as "proving others wrong". It's more about coming to the correct conclusion and do what's right.

8. They’re always fiddling.

Haven't done that too much lately, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and do often tend to look for ways to make something better, more efficient, more usable. As a programmer that's an invaluable quality. But at the same time I'm also pragmatic and value the ability to prioritize and make good compromises. Another co-worker of mine is literally constantly fiddling and "creating" new problems that he feels a need to solve, which even my boss has told me is getting on his nerves. Balancing these things is very important.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Urshulgi
Member [46%]

I was always terrible at number 3. My sense of justice can only handle being trampled on so long by retarded middle managers before I comment on how fucked up they are.

Oh well, not in the corporate world anymore.

I do get asked to teach difficult students who demand highly specialized English lessons here in Moscow though. Apparently I'm one of the few teachers who can be bothered to teach myself a new subject, such as engineering, finance, and law, just so I can teach a student for a couple of hours per week. No biggie, I make more money than most of the other teachers and I'm more valuable to the school as a result.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
Noiresque
Member [04%]

other than praises, it's a close fit for me.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
stealthfighter
Core Member [112%]

I take my job as something that I do cause I have to do. My workplace is one horrible crap where you'll get exploited so badly and eventually left behind when it comes to money matters, so employer satisfaction is the least of my concern. I'm neither a slacker nor a whiner but I think I could have done my work better if the conditions in my work don't tend to be demoralizing.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #17
Traverser
Veteran Member [62%]
This is not a new world. It is simply an extension of what began in the old one.
MBTI: intj

You're only "remarkable" if your productivity is much, much higher than your costs to the client (and rightfully so, economically-speaking). Which is why I don't particularly take compliments from employers very seriously, especially if they're habitual. As far as I'm concerned, my payment is its own compliment; it's only during a new job search when their praises actually matter, as they will likely be my references at that point.

Otherwise, I am a remarkable employee. After all, at my current wage rate, it's a wonder that I don't earn more!