I found my people! None
Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
My Feral Shadow
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTP

I've been reading threads on the forum for a few days and decided to register. It seems the lists of interesting topics and great posts are endless!

Around 20 years ago I was introduced to MBTI during a career counciling session at a community college. A few times through the years I have reviewed the MBTI material and related subjects only to find I get more out of it every time. I think that early on in my study I had a tendency to try to isolate the code letters/personality components and didn't fully grasp the interactions between them. Especially the supporting ones. This time around I have found so many more resources to study online that I find it to be much easier.

Since I was in my late teens when I first took MBTI I was in a period of growth and great change. It made it hard for me to decide between some of the preferences. My councilor suspected I might be projecting and answering some questions as I wanted to be (or was moving towards) rather than recognizing my core preferences. Further study proved that she was correct. I originally tested as INTP but the type descriptions for INTJ have always been the ones that set the bells off in my head. I no longer have doubt that I am INTJ. Especially after many hours reading posts by INTJs on this forum.

I look forward to getting to know some of you,learning from you,and hopefully making a worth-while contribution with my own ideas and insights. I only hope that I don't develop an inferiority complex because honestly I have rarely found myself amongst a group of so many apparently well educated and intelligent people.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
KeithP
Member [26%]
MBTI: INTJ

When did your shadow escape and join the wild?

And what do shadows do together in the wild?

.. oh, and welcome!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Cooper
Core Member [1755%]
"There will come a day when my heart is a cold hard stone. That is the day I will smile."

Welcome to the Alley...

...nice cat.
Cooper is online
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
RedOrange823
Core Member [607%]
Super-Uber-Awesome Trip-Hop Playlist for INTJforum: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQAnqdvx7c4nCr3ncQB4jsPABj1u4FruP

Hello, and welcome
Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
deconspire
Core Member [367%]
i carry no ca$h

Hello. Welcome to the forum. I find your flattery acceptable.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
My Feral Shadow
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by deconspire View Post
Hello. Welcome to the forum. I find your flattery acceptable.

My study of social skills has finally paid off. I find your ecceptance flattering.

---------- Post added 04-01-2012 at 03:59 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Welcome to the Alley...

...nice cat.

That is a real,live, alley cat. I feed him (and others) regularly. He is truly feral but has become socialized enough that I can touch him when I feed him. He lives in an alley near my apartment.

---------- Post added 04-01-2012 at 04:15 AM ----------

Originally Posted by KeithP View Post
When did your shadow escape and join the wild?

The shadow pictured was born in 2011. The figurative one joined the wild sometime in the 1990s.

And what do shadows do together in the wild?

Generally,they mingle and display their hierarchy.
Click the image to open in full size.

.. oh, and welcome!

Thank you

---------- Post added 04-01-2012 at 04:23 AM ----------

Originally Posted by RedOrange823 View Post
Hello, and welcome

Thank you. Nice to meet you.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Cooper
Core Member [1755%]
"There will come a day when my heart is a cold hard stone. That is the day I will smile."

Originally Posted by My Feral Shadow View Post
That is a real,live, alley cat. I feed him (and others) regularly. He is truly feral but has become socialized enough that I can touch him when I feed him. He lives in an alley near my apartment.

Very similar to how I found myself having three cats....

Cooper is online
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
SmellyWeasel
New Member [01%]

I found my people...I look forward to getting to know some of you,learning from you,and hopefully making a worth-while contribution with my own ideas and insights.

I feel pretty much the same way.

I only hope that I don't develop an inferiority complex because honestly I have rarely found myself amongst a group of so many apparently well educated and intelligent people.

I doubt that will happen, you're a rational. Besides, I have always found that I learn and improve the most when I associate with people smarter and more skilled than I am. Hopefully you have the same experience.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
MONADANOM
Member [07%]
MBTI: intj

I have rarely found myself amongst a group of so many apparently well educated and intelligent people.
Would you like to kiss my ring now?
{welcome} and keep feeding the cats. Hope they're neutered...
Old 04-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
My Feral Shadow
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by MONADANOM View Post
I have rarely found myself amongst a group of so many apparently well educated and intelligent people.

If you were a wiseguy in the Mafia I would refuse. For a wizard I will consider it

[B][I]{welcome} and keep feeding the cats. Hope they're neutered...

There were 8 or 9 strays which came from 2 litters. Some of the tamer tabbies and others were adopted by neighbors. The 3 remaining ferals (1 tortie and 2 black) we are still feeding. The tortie and black females have been fully vetted and spayed. The black Tom cat in my avatar pic has not been captured and taken to the vet yet. It is on the "to do" list. I plan to pitch in for the cost but I want one of the others to catch him. I don't want him to associate me with capture.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
Cooper
Core Member [1755%]

There were three ferals where I used to work, two females and one male. The tom we could never catch, one female that was already spaded, and the other kept having litters. We finally managed to catch her and get her to the vet. She didn't stay there long, it was too stressful for her. She now gets live trapped and taken in when ever her shots are due. I have three of her kittens, one from one litter and two from her last.
Cooper is online
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #12
Atamagahen
Veteran Member [86%]

MBTI: INTX

You seem to be a bit more external than a few INTJs I've encountered, although this doesn't rule you out. Chances are, from what I've read, that you're rather absorbed once you are introduced to a particular subject that you could relate to. I have a good feeling that you are mentally engaged and much more internal in that aspect, your username also leads me to believe that you still contain that introversion. Hm, a thinker and also a bit of a feeler who cares for animals. Very nice combination if I do say so myself.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #13
My Feral Shadow
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by SmellyWeasel View Post
I feel pretty much the same way.

Originally Posted by SmellyWeasel View Post
I doubt that will happen, you're a rational. Besides, I have always found that I learn and improve the most when I associate with people smarter and more skilled than I am. Hopefully you have the same experience.

I was teasing about the inferiority complex. It was just a fun way of recognizing that there are a lot of intelligent people here. I agree with your point of surrounding yourself with with smart and skilled people. That always helps me to improve and learn. That was a major life lesson for me years ago.

---------- Post added 04-02-2012 at 05:26 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Atamagahen View Post
You seem to be a bit more external than a few INTJs I've encountered, although this doesn't rule you out.

I find it easier to be "external" when I'm posting to a forum where we are fairly anonymous. Even on my Facebook page where I know everyone well and they know me, I can come across as being a little more extroverted than I really am. Mostly because I can take my time to think about what I am going to type and edit myself. If you and me were to meet in a crowd of 20 or more people you would have no problem identifying me as an introvert. I would feel alone and overwhelmed. My first instinct would be to find a small group of 2-4 people with common interests,get into an engaging conversation while shutting the rest of the world out.

If you were to talk to different people that I know and ask them what kind of person I am you would come up with different answers. Most of my long term friends and family would tell you I am mellow or quiet. Many would say shy or introverted. Some might say "it depends...he's kind of moody". "Sometimes he's quiet and sometimes he's not".
If you asked the same questions to other groups of people who know me you might get the impression I am somewhat extroverted. IE: people I have worked with in the last 10 years,any antique shop I frequent,or any gun shop or music store I go to.
This is because if I am intellectually engaged in a subject I know well, I feel like I have solid footing. I can talk freely to share my knowledge and learn. It's easier for me to be social if there is something to focus on other than me.
I also have done a lot of learning and work on myself to understand how to be more social. I worked a job in 2000-2008 where I had to do a lot of technical work but I also had to be in contact with customers. I even got thrown into a situation where I had to train distributors to repair and trouble shoot our products. This required public speaking as an instructor. Sink or swim! I studied and felt my way through to learn those skills. I worked on my weak points.
All my introverted preferences are still here. I still have to have massive amounts of alone time. I still get easily irritated by highly extroverted people,extremely emotional feelers,and get bored with people who do not engage my Ni Te.

Originally Posted by Atamagahen View Post
Chances are, from what I've read, that you're rather absorbed once you are introduced to a particular subject that you could relate to. I have a good feeling that you are mentally engaged and much more internal in that aspect, your username also leads me to believe that you still contain that introversion. Hm, a thinker and also a bit of a feeler who cares for animals. Very nice combination if I do say so myself.

Welcome to the forums.

You are very perceptive. I get very absorbed into subjects that interest me. I dive in and learn every aspect of them I can grasp. Sometimes almost obsessively.
My user name kind of refers to my INT personality. No matter how much I learn to round out my personality by working on my weaker points, it is still there. It follows me like a shadow. Much like my black cat follows me down the alley when it's hungry. It's in our nature.
I'm not so sure my caring for the cat comes from a feeling standpoint per se. It might come from a sense of duty and purpose. To right things that are wrong and align them the way they should be. It's a project for me to fix. I've gotten intellectual stimulation from studying non verbal communication with cats and learning about feral cats. That's my payoff. Feelings alone usually don't motivate me but if something feels good AND gives me my fix of intellectual stimulation;I'm game.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Owfin
Member [22%]
Rarity is best pony.
6w7 3w2 1w9 sp/so is best enneagram.
Owfin is best member.
MBTI: ISTJ

Online studying is awesome. I probably would not have even known who Jung was without the internet.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #15
My Feral Shadow
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by Owfin View Post
Online studying is awesome. I probably would not have even known who Jung was without the internet.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks,Owfin. Back in the earlier part of the 1990s is when I first took an MBTI test. The internet wasn't nearly as accessible. Most I knew who had internet had COMPUSERVE or the new,up and coming AMERICA ONLINE...lol. Yes the net is great to have now. Fast access to massive amounts of info helps one learn very quickly with little effort.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #16
Laura C
Member [03%]
:3 Feel free to add me. Cheers!
Note: Will be logging in less often, please bear with some delay in response.

I look forward to getting to know some of you,learning from you,and hopefully making a worth-while contribution with my own ideas and insights. I only hope that I don't develop an inferiority complex because honestly I have rarely found myself amongst a group of so many apparently well educated and intelligent people.

Welcome! Looking forward to learning from you too!

I had to laugh when I read the part about inferiority complex - this is what I experience with an INTJ friend and still working on it.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #17
buddabubba
New Member [01%]
MBTI: xxxx

may God have mercy on your soul

---------- Post added 04-03-2012 at 01:33 AM ----------

there's nothing like tuna...
to tame a cat...
Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #18
Littllefilly
Core Member [150%]
Even when a person has the right to be angry, that does not give them the right to be cruel.
MBTI: INFJ

Welcome to the pasture. Is there a pet assistance organization in your area?
<-----has been a volunteer for over 20 years for pet assistance. Are the alley cats spayed and neutered?

He does look better than the average feral. His coat appears to have some shine to it, and his eyes seem have some brightness to them, as well.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #19
My Feral Shadow
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by Littllefilly View Post
Welcome to the pasture. Is there a pet assistance organization in your area?
<-----has been a volunteer for over 20 years for pet assistance. Are the alley cats spayed and neutered?

He does look better than the average feral. His coat appears to have some shine to it, and his eyes seem have some brightness to them, as well.

There are shelters here(no kill) but they are all full. There is a program for spay/neuter for ferals on a catch and release program but they are tapped out. Myself and a few neighbors have had the females vetted and fixed. The male in my avatar is next. Yes he is very healthy. I have a large bag of Purina cat chow and that seems to be giving him what he needs. He also gets meat scraps. I'm a little surprised that he looks as good as he does being a tom in a neighborhood full of cats.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Littllefilly
Core Member [150%]
Even when a person has the right to be angry, that does not give them the right to be cruel.

There are shelters here(no kill) but they are all full. There is a program for spay/neuter for ferals on a catch and release program but they are tapped out. Myself and a few neighbors have had the females vetted and fixed. The male in my avatar is next. Yes he is very healthy. I have a large bag of Purina cat chow and that seems to be giving him what he needs. He also gets meat scraps. I'm a little surprised that he looks as good as he does being a tom in a neighborhood full of cats.

<smile> That is very compassionate of you and your neighbors. It sounds like you are doing the best you can for the alley cats. Pet assistance is always grateful to the unsung crusaders. It looks like Shadow and the alley cats are in good hands. They are very lucky to have you and your neighbors. (In reality, I don't believe in luck).

I wish more people would go to the shelters (warning following content may be hard to stomach, if you have a heart) and take a tour off the freezers and see the piles of dead animals. Most of them were healthy animals with a lot of love to give, that were once part of some ones family, in many cases, the disposable part.

Sorry about the gloom and doom on your intro page, but the username hits a nerve, and some subjects are worthy (in my mind) of exposure wherever that can be had.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
intjistp
Member [24%]

MBTI: xxxx

He just kissed your ass. Isn't anything enough for you!!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #22
Async
Veteran Member [79%]

MBTI: INTj

Welcome to the forum, Shadow

I like your thoughtful answers. I agree with your assessment that for many of us (INTJ) we will do enough in order to make our work environment palatable (sink or swim), approach it in a rational manner. However, the payback is enormous amount of self-time to recuperate and to read whatever subjects that intrigue us at the moment.

I am looking forward to read more of your posts. I don't think you are an intelligent slouch.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
storm eyes
Core Member [163%]
"catching bullets in my teeth"

Hey My Feral Shadow - welcome to the forum.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #24
Moxiie
Core Member [326%]
MBTI: eNfP

Howdy cowpoke (or catpoke as it were) welcome to the forum.

Fact: ALL INTJ'S COLLECT FERAL CATS.

Fact: All ENFP's make sweeping generalizations based on very little information and state them as fact.

Moxiie is online
Old 04-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #25
My Feral Shadow
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by Littllefilly View Post
<smile> That is very compassionate of you and your neighbors. It sounds like you are doing the best you can for the alley cats. Pet assistance is always grateful to the unsung crusaders. It looks like Shadow and the alley cats are in good hands. They are very lucky to have you and your neighbors. (In reality, I don't believe in luck).

I wish more people would go to the shelters (warning following content may be hard to stomach, if you have a heart) and take a tour off the freezers and see the piles of dead animals. Most of them were healthy animals with a lot of love to give, that were once part of some ones family, in many cases, the disposable part.

Sorry about the gloom and doom on your intro page, but the username hits a nerve, and some subjects are worthy (in my mind) of exposure wherever that can be had.

No need to be sorry. I'm all for spreading the word and educating people on the issue. There is entirely too much neglect and abandonment of pets of all types going on. I would rather see the problem be solved through education rather than it coming down to strict regulations that could eventually make great companion animals less accessible.

---------- Post added 04-05-2012 at 01:12 AM ----------

Originally Posted by intjistp View Post
He just kissed your ass. Isn't anything enough for you!!!!

I learned my ass kissing skills from some of my ExFx friends. I carefully adjusted the technique and used intelligence and education as the lure in lieu of the usual superficial drivel to better suite the INTJ ego. I'm not sure if it was the best way to make a first impression here,in retrospect.

---------- Post added 04-05-2012 at 01:56 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Async View Post
Welcome to the forum, Shadow

I like your thoughtful answers. I agree with your assessment that for many of us (INTJ) we will do enough in order to make our work environment palatable (sink or swim), approach it in a rational manner. However, the payback is enormous amount of self-time to recuperate and to read whatever subjects that intrigue us at the moment.

I am looking forward to read more of your posts. I don't think you are an intelligent slouch.

---------- Post added 04-05-2012 at 02:22 AM ----------

Originally Posted by storm eyes View Post
Hey My Feral Shadow - welcome to the forum.

Thanks. I think I like it here.

Originally Posted by Moxiie View Post
Howdy cowpoke (or catpoke as it were) welcome to the forum.

Fact: ALL INTJ'S COLLECT FERAL CATS.

Fact: All ENFP's make sweeping generalizations based on very little information and state them as fact.

I need to clear a few things up.

Fact: I don't collect cats. I maintain them and sustain them.

Fact: I collect other things.

Fact: I don't poke cows or cats.

Confession: I poked an ENFP and I'll never forget her.

Opinion: all ENFPs have a great sense of humor and rarely get offended.