Reply
Thread Tools
Are you a mistake or were you planned? None
Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #76
John F Kennedy
Member [42%]
 
MBTI: INtj
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,702
 

  Originally Posted by Rafalian
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I was conceived on the night of their wedding. I doubt they wanted it to happen so soon, but it was not an accident.

How do you know that? Did your parents not have intercourse for at least a while after that? Was the sex that bad?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John F Kennedy is online
Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #77
AnotherAvatar
Banned
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 462
 

  Originally Posted by MissionPossible
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I disagree. While we cannot simply assume that what we are told is the truth, we can take various elements of a reported story from its various, connected storytellers, along with its situation in the time and space of particular cultural histories (race, religion, nation, time, region, class, profession, gender, ect) ....and make some more or less objective evaluations of that data pool. You also seem to forget, that not all stories are told orally, but that they can be told and sealed in the past and then experienced by people in later times. Stories also often have more than one teller; more than one perspective, and more than one motive and goal. Ascertaining truth then is a matter of weighing everything in order to try to achieve a reasonable degree of certainty or at least, plausibility.

In addition, it is possible that some might WANT to hope that they were an accident. If you were born to serial killers and you yourself did not fit that mold, would YOU have preferred to have been planned? Perhaps many would want to have NOT been planned in such circumstances.

You answered your own question. You don't know. All real evidence on reproductive habits, suggest Dad poked Mom, mom got pregnant, they both went 'oh shit' and your probably here by the grace of them being told abortion was bad, or 'what the fuck, why not' or 'yeah we wanted a baby' but it wasn't planned in any way.

The real sad point I think is that if more would be parents had real career options, the chance to sail around the world on a yacht, to compete in the Olympics, a modeling career....yeah most of you would have been squirming to get out of the way of that coat hanger bumping you in the head. Sorry.

AnotherAvatar is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #78
bsmithereens
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
 
I think this is an excellent question for a forum like this. I was definitely unplanned. My mother was 41 and father was 50 when they had me. I was the kid in school that looked like he brought his grandparents to school functions.
bsmithereens is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #79
John F Kennedy
Member [42%]
 
MBTI: INtj
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,702
 
There's a difference between being a mistake and an accident. Or a happy accident for that matter!
John F Kennedy is online
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #80
AnotherAvatar
Banned
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 462
 
So your thinking that dad was walking through the kitchen, slipped, fell onto mom, his cock slipped into her, and then they had an 'accident'.

As opposed to two people having unprotected sex, then they made a 'mistake'?
AnotherAvatar is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #81
Zedar
New Member [01%]
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
 
Accident. My parents were going for a girl after having two boys. When they got a girl two years later, they gave up for a while. Then, as my mom got older, I guess she thought they'd have one last roll in The Last Chance Saloon and had a final son.
Zedar is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #82
Still Standing
Core Member [138%]
MBTI: Isfp
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,533
 

  Originally Posted by AnotherAvatar
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So your thinking that dad was walking through the kitchen, slipped, fell onto mom, his cock slipped into her, and then they had an 'accident'.


To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


 
As opposed to two people having unprotected sex, then they made a 'mistake'?

If I understood correctly, I believe a mistake is an unfortunate accident, as opposed to a fortunate one.

Still Standing is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #83
John F Kennedy
Member [42%]
 
MBTI: INtj
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,702
 

  Originally Posted by Still Standing
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If I understood correctly, I believe a mistake is an unfortunate accident, as opposed to a fortunate one.

The possibilities as I see them are:

1. Planned (with positive consequences)
2. Mistake (wrongly planned)
3. Accident (bad consequences)
4. Happy accident

I did not care to know myself.

John F Kennedy is online
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #84
Sniped Soul
Member [08%]
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 335
 
Only the first child in my family was planned. The fact that I wasn't planned didn't seem to negatively affect my parents' attitude towards me so that's cool.
Sniped Soul is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #85
MissionPossible
Member [10%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 434
 

  Originally Posted by AnotherAvatar
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You answered your own question. You don't know. All real evidence on reproductive habits, suggest Dad poked Mom, mom got pregnant, they both went 'oh shit' and your probably here by the grace of them being told abortion was bad, or 'what the fuck, why not' or 'yeah we wanted a baby' but it wasn't planned in any way.

The real sad point I think is that if more would be parents had real career options, the chance to sail around the world on a yacht, to compete in the Olympics, a modeling career....yeah most of you would have been squirming to get out of the way of that coat hanger bumping you in the head. Sorry.

I agree to disagree with the general point you are making if you are saying that we cannot have a good idea of whether we are planned or not. I never claimed that we can KNOW ANYTHING beyond a shadow of a doubt, because in reality THAT kind of knowledge of anything is impossible since any claim to any degree of certainty about ANY knowledge is based only on evidence that we have collected and can subject to critical reasoning, not on all the possible evidence that we don't have.

As for why I was born, frankly I don't really care. I just know that I was born and I am here now. My parents never bothered to tell me that I was planned, but they were together for many years before they had us and they had been very clear to everyone about their intentions with children, so yes, it is in that case, safe to say that yes, I do know with a good degree of certainty that my brother and I were planned....but who really cares if we were or not since we are already here and my parents were the antichrists of parentage?

I don't have patience for unintelligent, silly games that ignore basic critical reasoning. If you wish to be further absurd, you may do so without me as a playmate. Others are more likely to humor you.

MissionPossible is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #86
Andre20
Member [17%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 680
 
Never asked my parents. Don't plan on it either, though I'm certain I was an accident. This is just from a simple comparison of my age and their anniversary.
Andre20 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #87
AnotherAvatar
Banned
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 462
 
You can take a chance...where she gets prego or not
You can have an accident where the rubber breaks.
You can plan to have a kid, and try to get her pregnant
You can't choose gender, so any 'trying' to that effect is trying to get pregnant, not trying to have a boy or girl, as you can't make the boy sperm out run the girl sperm or visa versa.
AnotherAvatar is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #88
Oros Ull
Core Member [139%]
I can never really tell if Iím slowly going mad or just coming to terms with a bizarre reality.
MBTI: INFJ
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,565
 
Both my brother and I were planned, although my parents certainly never acted like it.
Oros Ull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #89
CaelestisPeste
Core Member [143%]
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,744
 
Years and years of planning. I wish they had hurried up with planning and had me earlier. In a way, weren't we all unplanned for? My parents thought I would grow up to be a respectable gentleman, who would provide them every luxury in life by the time I turned 20... Big mistake.
CaelestisPeste is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #90
Elena
Core Member [140%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,637
 
Unplanned. 15yr age gap between me and the 2nd youngest sibling. In a fit of anger my mother told me they considered switching my life support machine off, and that I did not understand how much trouble money was to keep me alive and 'it was such a mistake that you were born'. Add on the fact my mum had her uterus removed when I was 3yrs old, they clearly did not want to make the same 'mistake' again.
Elena is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #91
Havoc313
Member [04%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 185
 
I believe everything happens for a reason.
Havoc313 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #92
Noelle
Member [20%]
MBTI: INFJ
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 836
 
I may have planned, but I am thoroughly convinced my parents think I was a mistake.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Luckily for them, though, my sister was planned as well, and she didn't turn out to be the mistake I was.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Noelle is online
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #93
John F Kennedy
Member [42%]
 
MBTI: INtj
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,702
 

  Originally Posted by Havoc313
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I believe everything happens for a reason.

Yes, causality exists. But not the "reason" you're thinking of. That would be unreasonable.

John F Kennedy is online
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #94
PlungingHornets
Member [13%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 536
 

  Originally Posted by Silverity
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I was so planned my parents had 2 years of educational savings, for my eventual trip to university, stashed away before I was born.

o_o

(In case anyone is wondering, Dad is an INTJ and a teacher. He thinks really long term)

I had a housemate who's mother bought his piano before we was conceived. Yes, she's Asian. He ended up dropping out of Cornell first year due to a pot and WoW addiction (and undoubtedly rebellion).

Woops!

PlungingHornets is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #95
Reizu
Member [40%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,636
 
My parents never really talked to me about that, and I'm sure no matter which was true, they would tell me I was planned. I know for a fact that my older siblings were planned (my dad suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder, so he was desperate for a male heir, the only one being the child right before me). I did some calculations and found that I was conceived around New Years, aka the time people like to get really drunk and possibly have unprotected sex. Then I found out later that shortly after I was born my dad got a vasectomy. So yeah.
Reizu is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #96
ummon
Core Member [103%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,122
 

  Originally Posted by Selene
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planned though I think they would've preferred a boy.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ummon is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #97
Axel
Member [30%]
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,230
 
Wedding night conception if I am to believe my mother.
Axel is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #98
Dung
Core Member [108%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,337
 
It's always planned - and it's always an accident, just a matter of perspective.
Dung is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #99
vacant space
New Member [01%]
 
MBTI: intx
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 29
 
Accident. Mum wanted to abort, dad wanted to keep. Don't care too much now, but being told this as an 11 year old wasn't the best timing.
vacant space is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #100
John F Kennedy
Member [42%]
 
MBTI: INtj
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,702
 

  Originally Posted by Axel
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wedding night conception if I am to believe my mother.

Again, unless they stopped having sex for a longer while after that, nobody can know that.

John F Kennedy is online
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Myers-Briggs, and MBTI are trademarks or registered trademarks of the
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Trust in the United States and other countries.