Closed Thread
Superhero INTJs? None
Old 05-18-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
TheEnlightenedOne
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTJ

I've seen on some forums that people believe all Heroes/Superheroes to be INTPs, while all supervillains are INTJs. I believe this is an oversimplification and definitely not true at all. One such arguer for the INTP Superhero theory even stated (ignorantly) that Gandalf was an INTP, while most lists confirm Gandalf to be an INTJ.

Can anyone come up with any good guy superhero examples of INTJs?

Old 05-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
Terian
Member [23%]
The greatest trouble for those with intelligence are those without.
MBTI: ENtP

Not exactly a superhero, but: Ender from Ender's Game was most likely an INTJ (as was his evil brother, but still).
Old 05-18-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
TheEnlightenedOne
Member [02%]

Originally Posted by Terian
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ender from Ender's Game was most likely an INTJ (as was his evil brother, but still).

Heh... I figured as much. He was probably my favorite protagonist of any book series I read growing up.

I would hope there are SOME INTJ superheroes out there to save the world from its own ignorance/stupidity/illogic nature/misleading feelings.

I've heard a rumor that Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) is probably an INTJ? That would make sense. Can anyone think of anybody else?

Old 05-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
brad
New Member [01%]

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not exactly a superhero, but: Ender from Ender's Game was most likely an INTJ (as was his evil brother, but still).

Holy crap, never noticed that. Somehow, my childhood obsession with Ender is justified.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
Airfire
Member [04%]

I cannot think of any INTJ superheroes, really. I don't think it's logically possible to have one, in my opinion. We tend to accurately (and very well) portray antagonistic qualities, which is why INTJs make good villains.

TheEnlightenedOne, I think it may be wiser to consider that INTJs can make fantastic, if not ideal, Anti-Heroes-- of which there are a few (Batman comes to mind).
Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Octavianus Caesar
Member [06%]
The Dark Lord

Batman/Bruce Wayne
The Punisher
Old 05-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
Mozzes
Veteran Member [50%]

MBTI: xxxx

I would say there's a chance that Professor X and Cyclops/Scott Summers from the Marvel multiverse are INTJs. They sure as hell aren't INTPs.

In Marvel comics not very many heroes seem INTP to me at all. The only ones I can think of right now are Spider Man/Peter Parker and maybe Iceman.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
zoophilia
Member [03%]

MBTI: intj

i think professor x was infj and cyclops istj. batman/punisher = istp me thinks. i think paul atreides from the Dune universe is a good example of an intj though as well as his mentat Thufir Hawat. also, maybe mr. fantastic? (though he is lame)

i don't know. i think they might be in more literary/sci-fi geared things because intjs tend to have greater interest in those areas and thus their ideals tend to be more embodied there as they contribute to those fields? kood example would be ambassador kosh from babylon 5. though he not exactly a hero (but he does the right thing in the end)
Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
murkrow
New Member [01%]

yeah the punisher was my first thought.

Prof X is a possibility, I don't think Cyke has the independence of an INTJ though.

lately Iron Man's been acting pretty INTJ too.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
Mozzes
Veteran Member [50%]

Originally Posted by murkrow
yeah the punisher was my first thought.

Prof X is a possibility, I don't think Cyke has the independence of an INTJ though.

lately Iron Man's been acting pretty INTJ too.

The thing about comics is it sometimes depends on which continuity/series you read.

In the comics Iron Man definitely is an INTJ or ENTJ especially if you consider his actions in the Illuminati leading up to Civil War and World War Hulk.

In the movie, however, he seemed a lot more like an ESTP. My opinion, at least.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Uberfuhrer
Member [39%]
Some like to create. Others like to destroy. I like to create new ways to destroy.

Tony Stark/Iron Man in the movie is such an ENTP, it's not even funny. It was as if he was born out of Keirsey's description of the ENTP Inventor.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
punkyplatypus
Member [13%]

I think Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four is an INTJ.
I'm not sure if they are but the Green Lanterns Hal Jordan & John Stewert seem to have some INTJ tendencies. So does the Martian Manhunter.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #13
Rudy
Administrator
A human, touch.
MBTI: INfJ

"The Question", from Justice League
Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
Kisai
Core Member [433%]
Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
MBTI: XXXX

Regarding:

Ender: It's tricky to decide. His natural inclination might as well be E, but he was isolated by his status as a Third, his insane brother, and purposely isolated by the military. I haven't read any further books. So I'll pass.

Mr. Fantastic is INTP. It's Doctor Doom who's the INTJ.

Tony Stark is currently an ENTP. I say 'currently' because characters personalities change according to the writing team and the zeitgeist. He may very well have been conceived as an INTJ.

I'll go with Prof. X being INTJ. Maybe Magneto too when he's friendly. When Magneto's on the human genocide kick he's ISTJ.

Cyclops is an extraverted Introvert. He's never had much of a definite personality to me, so different writers take advantage of that hole. I think Joss Whedon made him an INFJ, though on his Astonishing X-men run.

Spider-man's an INTP.

Batman changes a lot. I think classically he's ISTJ, but I've seen INFJ and INTJ versions, and Adam West's goofy ESFJ takeoff.

The Punisher is also ISTJ.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
Storm
Core Member [410%]
I knew from the moment she walked into my office she was trouble.

On Facebook there's an applicatioon called MyType, and one of the bonus features of it allows people to rate 3 superheoros: Batman, Superman, and Spiderman.
Out of about 220 ratings the results are:
Superman: ESFJ
Batman: ENTP
Spider man: INTJ

I'm surprised at people's seeing of Spiderman. He's a bit of a nerd, but he never came off as a thinker to me, more of a feeler, making him maybe an INFJ.

I vote for Batman as an INTJ over ENTP. He never seemed that extroverted since he only engaged in social situtations for appearances and power, not because he enjoyed it. He also is decisive (J over P).
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
SShack
Core Member [124%]
"Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean."
MBTI: ENTP

Y'all will probably think I'm crazy about this, but I mentioned it another thread: Storm.

Granted, she started off as a bit of a nature hippie earth mother type, but has changed a whole lot since then. She had to learn to control her feelings in order to keep her power under control. She is a very pragmatic, rational leader, even more that Cyclops, and did not shy away from making really tough decisions. She intuitively uses her powers in creative, different ways. She can also be pretty hard for outsiders to get to know, which actually manifests by different writers having a hard time writing her.

It's possible she's more of an INTP though, given her sort of holistic attitude, but I wanted to toss that out there.

Iron Man is indeed an ENTP these days, though I do think he started off as an INTP or INTJ.

What about Kitty Pryde? Actually, I think she might be ENTJ. Or possibly ENFJ.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #17
Kisai
Core Member [433%]

Originally Posted by Storm

I'm surprised at people's seeing of Spiderman. He's a bit of a nerd, but he never came off as a thinker to me, more of a feeler, making him maybe an INFJ.

One of the interesting things about Spider-Man is that he really has two creators, Stan Lee, which mainly gets the credit, and Steve Dikto, the artist. Because of Stan Lee's "How to Make Comics the Marvel Way" method, leaving the writer to just broadly outline scripts, Steve had a great amount of say in the direction of the character development.

Steve Dikto is responsible for keeping characters like J. Jonah Jameson and Aunt May in the story,as well as keeping Peter Parker a normal teenager. Stan Lee didn't like having Peter run around as Peter and not as Spider-Man, so they compromised with those classic 'half Spider-Man mask' shots. Steve Dikto is the true creator of Spider-Man, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
boldbidder
Member [28%]

Batman/Bruce Wayne of the recent film reboot (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight) is definitely an INTJ. In the comics he's been all over the place.

I'd also like to throw Daredevil's hat into the ring as a potential INTJ.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #19
maxpot46
Member [08%]

I agree with Batman and Storm being INTJ (nice call on Storm).

Also, Brainiac 5 of the Legion of Super Heroes -- maybe INTP but I get an INTJ vibe off of him (arrogant, anti-social, extremely blunt).
Old 02-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
darynthe
Member [45%]
I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to mis-attribute this quote to Voltaire.
MBTI: INFP

What type is Clark Kent?? I am interested in the Smallville characterization. ISFP?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #21
Kisai
Core Member [433%]

I forgot about Brainiac 5, he's such an INTJ. Considers himself a Level 12 intelligence, considers Earth, the whole planet put together, as a Level 9.

I haven't watched any Smallville. I know that Grant Morrison's run on All Star Superman, which was really good, had Superman as an ENFP.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
Undead Bonzi
Member [49%]
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
MBTI: ESFP

I would disagree with that. At the end of the book you find out the whole reason they needed Ender was because he had an astounding degree of empathy and sympathy for his 'enemy'. Because of this they had to trick him into committing the actual xenocide because he would have never done it voluntarily. To be honest Ender strikes me as having strong E, F and P attributes simply because he always wanted to be friends with people, he always empathized and understood his opponents and he never seemed to have his own belief structure which he imposed on a situation, he took things as they were. Though his end actions were very INTJ you have to remember that Ender was manipulated or coerced into doing many of those actions so what we see isn't the real person, its the tool that other people used.

The danger of this sort of fictional character typing is that these are not real people. What is more is that we have an inherent desire to associate ourselves with things and people that we like or admire. Thus on an INTJ forum you get scads of people saying people/characters x, y and z were surely INTJs. The same is true on some other forum. The honest truth is that most characters are an amalgamation of many different types positive traits, not one single type.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #23
darynthe
Member [45%]
I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to mis-attribute this quote to Voltaire.
MBTI: INFP

Interesting. I think you are right on about Ender. He never hit me as any type in particular. But if we would have to peg him with something maybe IN.

I find Bean a more intersting character though. What personality do you think he is? I truly adore him.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #24
Shorgenfunkel
Member [37%]

I mentioned this in the "INTJs in fiction" thread, but it needs a mention here. He's not exactly a superhero either, but a game hero.

Zero from the Mega Man X series.

Another possible type is ISTP, but INTJ seems a lot closer, especially because of the more acute need for solitude, and the "aura of definiteness."
Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #25
Rudy
Administrator
A human, touch.
MBTI: INfJ

In addition to The Question, what about Rorschach?
Closed Thread