PDA

View Full Version : Do Ideas Randomly Pop into your Head?

Jgib5328
07-27-2008, 06:03 PM
This happens to me all of the time, ideas will pop into my head and I won't know how I got them. Sometimes I can answer questions without thinking of them, the answer instantly pops into my head. For example, one time a friend asked who the other girl (not Sarah Michelle Gellar) was in the movie Cruel Intentions a movie I only watched once when it came out and I instantly new the answer was "Selma Hayek" even though I don't know who that is and don't know any thing else about her, other than the fact that that was the answer. Another example is someone told me that my "Bowling shoes remind her of the shoes old people wear", right after she finished this I replied, "Orthopedic Shoes", without even knowing what Orthopedic shoes really are, only knowing that that was the answer to that question for some reason that was beyond me. I guess this is related to our Ni, so I'm wondering if any of you guys have experienced this phenomenon too?

ankeshkothari
07-27-2008, 06:34 PM
We INTJs have a direct connection with the supreme being. And these answers are revealed to us by her at the most opportune times.

:p :D

By the way, I'm pretty sure Selma Hayek wasn't there in cruel intentions. Maybe you are thinking of Selma Blair?

IF3157
07-27-2008, 06:36 PM
It is a veritable zoo in there, and I hardly finish one idea before it trails off to the next. I have started carting around a notebook to write down some of it, because I sometimes note a good one . . . but then forget it while I hunt down another, never to see it again, but remembering there was something important that I wanted to write down. :thinking:

Dave C C
07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
A short term memory running at 120 miles per hour and a long term memory running at 30 miles per hour, with no ideal what gets filed until a latter time.

Sean O
07-27-2008, 07:23 PM
All the time.

Zedicus
07-27-2008, 07:27 PM
A short term memory running at 120 miles per hour and a long term memory running at 30 miles per hour, with no ideal what gets filed until a latter time.

Can I borrow this. I have never been able to describe how my mind works but this come close.

ssrprotege
07-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I get random insights out of nowhere, such as while I was walking or just lying in the bed. I have to track back my thinking process to get where it came from. But unless I write it down, that idea will be lost and I will move on to something else. I think I made up a lot of odd words in my head, but most of them are forgotten. I am too lazy to write them down.

Jgib5328
07-27-2008, 07:39 PM
We INTJs have a direct connection with the supreme being. And these answers are revealed to us by her at the most opportune times.

:p :D

By the way, I'm pretty sure Selma Hayek wasn't there in cruel intentions. Maybe you are thinking of Selma Blair?

Yes Selma Blair, that was the name, I knew it at the time.

Seppuku Savant
07-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, I get random insights out of nowhere, such as while I was walking or just lying in the bed. I have to track back my thinking process to get where it came from. But unless I write it down, that idea will be lost and I will move on to something else.

Same here. I have new things to consider everyday. I've gotten into the habit of writing things down so I can look back at a later date.

Caucus
07-28-2008, 05:38 AM
I come up with ideas often, seemingly out of nowhere. They just pop into my mind, usually just before I get into a situation where I need to use them. I put it down to high intuition.

True Rune
07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
This happens to me all of the time, ideas will pop into my head and I won't know how I got them. Sometimes I can answer questions without thinking of them, the answer instantly pops into my head. For example, one time a friend asked who the other girl (not Sarah Michelle Gellar) was in the movie Cruel Intentions a movie I only watched once when it came out and I instantly new the answer was "Selma Hayek" even though I don't know who that is and don't know any thing else about her, other than the fact that that was the answer. Another example is someone told me that my "Bowling shoes remind her of the shoes old people wear", right after she finished this I replied, "Orthopedic Shoes", without even knowing what Orthopedic shoes really are, only knowing that that was the answer to that question for some reason that was beyond me. I guess this is related to our Ni, so I'm wondering if any of you guys have experienced this phenomenon too?
In that way, yeah. I guessed the movie "I'll have what she's having." when I never even heard of it really or seen it." But my "ideas" try to explain why certain things happen and usually deal with things that aren't in my field of expertise and have to do with God, so I usually don't get great results. Usually I continue on when I read up about such things though. Is that essentially Ni?

NephilimAzrael
07-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Yup, wondrous and schizoid thoughts. Three thoughts at least at a given time, always interplaying, going off on tangents and lining up. Its part of being the way I am I always tell myself. :sneaky:

LionsPride
07-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Happens to me all the time. The ones I notice the most are vocabulary related . Often I'll pull a word out of the air and I can't honestly define the word, but I know that it is appropriate and specific to exactly what I want to convey. In other words, the vocabulary I have access to when I am in free thought is beyond my own level of conscious understanding.

Sometimes it really does feel like someone is inserting the answers, like my subconscious is it's own entity that feeds me what I need to know when I need to know it. It must be incredibly observant and at the same time incredibly adept at passing info, ideas and actions to my conscious. Perhaps other non Ni people's subconscious can do one or the other but not be good at both.

curiousjane
07-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Absolutely!

I, like others, have a habit of writing things down for future reference. Because I get the oddest flashes of inspiration.

Sometimes, I invent things in my mind. Or I have a new idea for a product or business or novel. I never really follow through, but I can say that some of my best stories have come to me in flashes of inspiration that I can't explain. Full-fledged, fleshed-out short stories. No plot gaps. And vivid descriptions of scene that seem to flow out of nowhere.

It's crazy.

Dominguez
07-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Well, I get random insights out of nowhere, such as while I was walking or just lying in the bed. I have to track back my thinking process to get where it came from. But unless I write it down, that idea will be lost and I will move on to something else. I think I made up a lot of odd words in my head, but most of them are forgotten. I am too lazy to write them down.

for me trying to write down the ideas actually messes up the process. either i hope new ideas will be inspired by what i write, but not the random firing of ideas like before.

Jgib5328
07-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Happens to me all the time. The ones I notice the most are vocabulary related . Often I'll pull a word out of the air and I can't honestly define the word, but I know that it is appropriate and specific to exactly what I want to convey. In other words, the vocabulary I have access to when I am in free thought is beyond my own level of conscious understanding.

Sometimes it really does feel like someone is inserting the answers, like my subconscious is it's own entity that feeds me what I need to know when I need to know it. It must be incredibly observant and at the same time incredibly adept at passing info, ideas and actions to my conscious. Perhaps other non Ni people's subconscious can do one or the other but not be good at both.

Ha this happens to me too, I randomly pull out sophisticated words that I know are right in the situation, but I don't know the exact definition.

Bratwurst
07-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Yes, all the time. Subconscious farts and flashes of inspiration.

Reon
07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I usually get my best ideas when I'm about to go to sleep, and I have to write it down immediately or I'll forget when I wake up (unless its extremely important)

kasbekz
07-29-2008, 07:06 PM
i can't say that the answers to questions come to me effortlessly, but in response to "do ideas pop into your head": yea.

most of these random ideas for me are just how i think that any social situation could become as awkward as possible. of course this isn't fun for me, but these are just the ideas that come up. i was about to give an example, but... it's awkward.

amandag
07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Yes! Random ideas pop into my head all the time. They are so many and so frequent that sometimes I have to take breaks from an assignment I'm working on to allow time for the ideas to slow down. My brain can get worn out from all that is going on inside it and sometimes I can't focus because of what's going on in my head.

I remember my mom telling me that when I was younger, about 5 I think, she asked me an addition problem. She expected it to take me a while to answer, but instead I answered almost immediately after she asked it. She asked me how I knew the answer and I said, "I don't know. My brain just told me."

Daimon
07-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes, all the time. Subconscious farts and flashes of inspiration.

Farts and Flashes of inspiration....i love that. I will need to pirate this Bratwurst and add it to my vocabulary....

And yes, my thoughts are in an endless merry go round....they go on and on and on......they meander like either a bubbling stream or an endless labyrinth, depending on how enlightened or brooding i am......

Chaos
07-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes, all the time. Sometimes its annoying.

searcher
07-30-2008, 04:14 AM
All the time, at the weirdest moments. They're always completely unconnected to the current circumstances. I too carry around a notebook to put them in before they are kicked out by the next one.

ColonelTroll
07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Random thoughts... yes.
Correct <complex> word usage without being able to state the definition... yes.
Even in my sleep... in college, "sleeping on a problem" meant I would wake up with the solution to an engineering problem.

Are these unique to INTJs? I figured it was common to everyone, but I have not really thought about it before.

Bratwurst
07-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Farts and Flashes of inspiration....i love that. I will need to pirate this Bratwurst and add it to my vocabulary....

Haha, you're welcome.

Are these unique to INTJs? I figured it was common to everyone, but I have not really thought about it before.

I don't think it's unique to us. I can imagine it's quite common for all the N types. We got these intuitive ideas popping around.

BlackHawk
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah . . .
Random ideas are not special. They happen to everyone, especially Ns.

Daimon
07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Yup, wondrous and schizoid thoughts. Three thoughts at least at a given time, always interplaying, going off on tangents and lining up. Its part of being the way I am I always tell myself. :sneaky:

@AZRAELtheGHOST- Schizoid. nice descriptor. I often say i hear voices in my head....though they are not hallucinatory at all. Just my thoughts running on and on.

hum
07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
yeah, but as soon as they pop-up I forget them (usually happens in the middle of the night)

lolz.

please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Tulula
08-01-2008, 01:45 AM
I get random ideas, thoughts, insights, intuitions, voices, etc. all the time. I thought this was normal????

NephilimAzrael
08-01-2008, 04:25 PM
@AZRAELtheGHOST- Schizoid. nice descriptor. I often say i hear voices in my head....though they are not hallucinatory at all. Just my thoughts running on and on.

go raibh míle maith agat (Thanks)

emanon
08-01-2008, 04:30 PM
go raibh míle maith agat (Thanks)

I think that's the first Gaelic I've seen around here. Slainte!

As for the type of random thoughts described in the first post, I love getting them. My favorites are when I see a bird I've never seen before and the name seems to come to me out of nowhere.

Adufanion
08-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Rampant, rich randomness runs wild through my mind all the time. It could be a new musical idea, something to try at work, a new organizational technique for the apartment... The biggest problem with such a fertile field of imagination is it races so fast. Can't slow the darn thing down long enough to either write it for later or even act on it. The worst times are in the shower and during the commute when it is nigh impossible to do anything about those ideas anyway.

These things always arrive unbidden and leave without leave. But when I do manage to catch one, it's usually pretty darn good.

Snowdragon
08-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Absolutely. Ideas also come into my head through dreams.

shadrag
08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
What I've found is that my mind is always going over everything ad nauseum. So it'll often happen that a "solution" to something will randomly pop into my head, but I wouldn't consider the idea itself random.

jadefalcon
08-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Oh yeah. sometimes it gets VERY annoying. I have had this happen twice in a row in the past two nights- two nights ago I woke up, got a piece of paper and randomly got the idea to design an LED system for my shelves. Then tonight I had the smart idea for a fountain that I would like to build (mini desk fountain). Tests will ensue soon! Some of my best ideas are completely random and out of the blue like that- I can't put my thumb on why, but it is why I love being an engineer.

08-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Happens to me all the time and it freaks people out. Not that I mind that reaction. ;)

Her?

I somehow doubt a supreme being would have a gender.

Trym
08-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Yes off course, and it gives me troubble sleeping:(

ssrprotege
08-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Yes off course, and it gives me troubble sleeping:(

Actually that did happen to me once. While I was lying on the bed, I got the idea about what stars may symbolise...I was busy exploring the thoughts. lol. It is very unusual for me to have hard time falling asleep.

karenk
08-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Of course. That's your introverted intution. Many years ago in accounting class the instructor called on me and I had a series of images flash before me too fast for me to really detect what they were and then I said the answer, which was a number. I have no idea how the answer came to me. ha!! I wasn't paying attention before he called on me. My math skills are not strong on top of it. I have many moments like that. INTJs and INFJs should be having lots of "AHA!!" moments if we're typed correctly.

jimmler
08-08-2008, 07:16 PM
They happen to me all the time, I have found it is best to keep them to myself, most people just look at me and say "what?"

Evil Eye
08-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Yep, all the time.

catd
08-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Me too! Sometimes I know things without having any idea how I know. Happened with math quite a bit. I used to be very skeptical of the answers I'd come up with but now I trust it more.

I also get ideas constantly, I can't keep up with them all.

ThaiGreenTea
08-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Yup. The first realization I had this ability was when I was 5. Someone asked me what I wanted to name the stuffed animal dog I was given, and I promptly replied, "Pug!" even though I had no idea what a pug was. It was what I was staring at.

mxdntz
08-12-2008, 08:50 PM
I get random ideas, thoughts, insights, intuitions, voices, etc. all the time. I thought this was normal????
Normal for us.:cool:

Monte314
08-13-2008, 11:52 PM
They pop in, but they are not random.

Theonymic
08-14-2008, 12:28 AM
I occasionally have seemingly random thoughts pop into my head. It's fun. But a lot of times I think it's from a high aptitude for recall: just about any situation that can relate to a scene in a movie I've seen, for instance, will make me think of that movie.