PDA

View Full Version : intro!

aaakiii
07-01-2008, 07:34 PM
hey all, my name is gideon and i'm a recent college graduate who is educated and unemployed, and i'm here representing the 5.5% (or whatever the statistic is right now) of the jobless. =P

anyway, as of late, i've been enamored with personality theories (specifically mbti) and i joined this forum because i've been going in circles about which type i am, rationalizing each one to the fullest, only changing it because the descriptions left me unsatisfied, which also explains the two x's in my type.

nice to meet all of you ^_^v

Monte314
07-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Greetings. We are glad that you are here.

notoppings
07-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Hello Gideon, hope you can enjoy yourself here and find the clarification you seek.

Eth
07-02-2008, 12:27 AM
We are what we wish to be, yet we are products of our environments....but "to be" one must "be perceived"... *shock* O God! What have I done?! *terror* Someone fetch my meds! It's happening again! *madness*

We may not be able to tell you what you are, but there will be no shortage of information for you to decide for yourself. And I hope we can help enough in your quest for understanding. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. So make yourself at home and look around. ^^

Seppuku Savant
07-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Many of my friends with masters are working in grocery stores. Yay, economy. Welcome. Enjoy yourself.

Elfrun
07-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Welcome undecided and unsatisfied one.

rwyatt365
07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Come in and let us dissect you. :knife: We''l let you know what type you are. :thumbsup:

Welcome

aaakiii
07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Come in and let us dissect you. :knife: We''l let you know what type you are. :thumbsup:

Welcome

HAHAHAH looking forward to it =)

aaakiii added to this post, 73 minutes and 46 seconds later...

okay, so i guess i will start digging into the nitty-gritty and tell you all about my journey. i've analyzed myself as many of the different personalities, and here they are in order, starting with the first analysis. entj, intj, enfp, entp, and estp, and all of these changes were made within the span of about 6 months.

i was first introduced to MBTI during a late night conversation with one of my roommates and my cousin's girlfriend. my cousin's girlfriend is a psych major and was the one who initiated the discussion asking me to take a test to tell my my type and we all discussed ours. i don't remember what she is, but i'm almost certain that she has I F and J. my roommate is an very strong INTP with each of his functions ranging between 80%-50%.

anyway, at the end of the test, i got entj. i read the description of it, and thought it described me pretty accurately (we also looked at the keirsey description) and that was that. i didn't start questioning it until later, because i started to question my honesty during taking the test, convinced that while i was taking the test, i answered the questions more on a basis of how i wanted to be rather than how i was, so i took the test again, and tested as intj. i read the description and thought that it was more accurate than the entj one because i am not a super extravert and value spending time in my own head.

i was content being typed as intj for a while, but during a time when my intp roommate and i were irritated with each other, he told me, "you are so not a thinking type" and at first i took offense to it, but then i was like, "hmm...maybe he's right." so i looked at the other personality types with "F" in them. i didn't start retaking tests, i started just reading up on each of the personalities (thank you typelogic and personalitypage) and concluded that enfp was what suited me the best. it sounded a bit more moderate, saying that enfp was probably the least extraverted of the extraverted types because of some need to constantly re-evaluate and reflect or something, and thought that it suited me as well as the fact that they are well liked, are always switching gears, and have a wide variety of interests. but then i started questioning the "F" function, because i don't think that i am naturally in tune with other people's feelings, and i have real problems with things, like sym/empathy. then i bought this book that my friend recommended to me (she's an istj) called "do what you are" by tieger and barron, which talks about mbti-type and how it relates to finding a career. in that book was where i was introduced to function hierarchy, so i started re-evaluating my type again.

from what i understand from it, i'm pretty sure of a tertiary Fe (and from what i read, tertiary functions tend to be utilitarian), which automatically rules out enfp as a possibility. i also started thinking about what my roomie said about me not being a "T" type and was like, "psh, whatever. screw him. i'm totally a t type" so that left me with entp, and for a while, that was the one that stuck because i thought it described me so well. lively and active and always considering new possibilities, jumping from one interest to another. i guess that's why my undergraduate life was so chaotic. i was always thinking about changing majors, thinking that the grass would be greener in another major, wanting to go from linguistics to communications, then to classics, then to english, then to history, then to art history, then to musicology, then back to communications, then to sociology, and then to psychology. there were even some considerations of wanting to go into biology or something more "south campus" but i never strayed from linguistics (or too much from the arts and humanities), but i regret it now, because i hated every minute of every linguistics course. (except for my syntax classes and an intonation course).

so then yesterday i started looking up some of the descriptions of the types with "S" in them, because until then, they were largely ignored by me. the first type i read (estp...since i tried to stay close) really astounded me, because i was like, "that's so me!" so i thought i should look into it and the other sources i always cross-reference with each other confirmed it, because i have a knack for noticing things that other people don't see. i like to enjoy the finer (read: expensive) things in life, and also agreed with the fact that i pick up physical cues that say things about people (ie; slumped shoulders shows a lack of confidence) and thought that maybe i have Se somewhere in my type.

frustrated by all of this, i decided to "type" myself by ordering the list of functions in a way that was more like me, but ranking them was difficult. so then on the way to dinner last night, i was like, "screw mbti. maybe i'll just develop my own personality theory" and thought about how long it would take and stuff like that, and decided against it.

so that's basically where the story ends, which brings me to the present. i don't know much about shadow functions though, so do any of you think that they could be in play?

another thing too is that everything is slightly expressed. for all i know, i should be XXXX. too complex and undefinable by the system. hehe kidding. the only things that are typically more than 10% are E and T. N is usually really low (3%-5%) but has never crossed to S and P flip flops all the time.

wow. what a post-ful.

any ideas? =)

Eth
07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Wow, quite the journey there. Unfortunately my knack for the entire MBTI system is lacking compared to the other guru's in this place. But the main question that comes to mind is this. And please don't take offense because it is not meant as insult. The journey of yours seems rather obsessive to me. Not to say that's bad, I obsess all the time. But my question is, are you obsessed because you have to understand or because you have to know? If you're obsessing to understand, that tells me you're more a thinker and logical. Wanting to understand action and meaning for yourself. If you're doing it to know. Then you're more emotional, needing to have a self-appreciation and image to share. But that's just me and my 2 cents. ^^

aaakiii
07-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Wow, quite the journey there. Unfortunately my knack for the entire MBTI system is lacking compared to the other guru's in this place. But the main question that comes to mind is this. And please don't take offense because it is not meant as insult. The journey of yours seems rather obsessive to me. Not to say that's bad, I obsess all the time. But my question is, are you obsessed because you have to understand or because you have to know? If you're obsessing to understand, that tells me you're more a thinker and logical. Wanting to understand action and meaning for yourself. If you're doing it to know. Then you're more emotional, needing to have a self-appreciation and image to share. But that's just me and my 2 cents. ^^

HAHAH. i think that maybe obsessive might be an understatement. don't even worry about the insult thing. i'm not easily insulted (that whole thing with my roomie was because he said it in a derogatory way), and i appreciate any kind of feedback. =)

it's an interesting question there at the end. wanting to understand versus simply wanting to know. it's funny you ask, because i don't even remember what my whole motivation in trying to find it was. i think that both are present, but after re-reading all that crap i wrote, it looks very much as if i were pursuing it to know, and wanting an image to share, so i think that's what it is. as for the obsession part of it...i just like to be thorough, but of course only when it comes to things i think are interesting.