PDA

View Full Version : Does unemployment agency thoroughly check work search?

TheStranger
08-31-2011, 05:00 PM
So, I guess I thought I wouldn't have to present my work search right away and while I started to keep a record of it, I've slacked the past several weeks. I have to have this turned in by the sixth of next month, so while I can hurriedly jot down some extra job searches, I'm worried that they will thoroughly check when I applied for these jobs, is the unemployment agency that thorough in general? Yes, I know, I screwed up but I can merely compensate for it now.

Munglik
08-31-2011, 05:08 PM
In the US?

TheStranger
08-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Sorry, yes, in the US. Obviously, I'm trying to gain unemployment benefits.

Les Payne
08-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Unemployment is a federally mandated, state administrated program. The format, rules, benefits, etc. will vary from state to state. If your state doesnít have the technology to track your progress in real time then you may be at risk of an audit. Your likelihood of being audited depends on a whole range of variables. The state will tend to focus its audits on those that cost the state the most money. If you apply frequently and run the benefit to the end then you may get flagged as a person who is trying to work the system. If your wages were well below the state average or if your last employer has a high reimbursement ratio then the cost to the state is less and this will likely reduce your risk of audit. Unless the company went out of business and had not fully funded its reserve account then that would cost the state more. Bottom line, itís an incredibly complex system. There should be some basic information on your stateís Department of Labor web site. I would refrain from asking the unemployment people directly for fear of provoking an investigation.

TheStranger
08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Well, I live in Illinois. Yes, obviously I wouldn't want to ask the unemployment people about this. I haven't even received any benefits yet, though. Perhaps I have permanently screwed myself out of unemployment? I'll have to research this, rest assured the company that once employed me is still in business.

Causa Mortis
08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
In California, probably not.

TheStranger
08-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Eh, I think I probably screwed myself. Oh well, another pointless thread in the database.

Frustration
08-31-2011, 08:36 PM
What state has you turn in a list? Isn't it an automated phone call or online form?
You have to think of the not-so-smart uhhh was it supposed to be in pen or crayon people...what do they do? Fix your sheet with dates that you need to show. When you go out for lunch ask if they are hiring and put the information down on your sheet. Order a coffee at starbucks and ask if they are hiring. Go online and apply for jobs with automated applications. Search Craigslist for dates that you need and state that you emailed or faxed a resume or better yet just email them one anyways. I'm sure it's not a quiz where your answers need to be specific and detailed.

Les Payne
08-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Illinois has a high unemployment rate, thatís bad as in theyíll be looking for people to disqualify but itís good that youíre in a very large pool. The schooling effect should really work to your advantage; they canít check everybodyís. WaitÖ you havenít started to receive benefits? I was under the impression that you were near the end and they collect this information at the end as a procedure. So, youíve been doing your job searches for weeks because you had vacation, severance, a waiting period, etc. and now they want to see verification of your searches. Why do they want to see them now? Is this a standard review? Have you been flagged?

If you were to get denied; you should be able to appeal that decision.

TheStranger
08-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Illinois has a high unemployment rate, thatís bad as in theyíll be looking for people to disqualify but itís good that youíre in a very large pool. The schooling effect should really work to your advantage; they canít check everybodyís. WaitÖ you havenít started to receive benefits? I was under the impression that you were near the end and they collect this information at the end as a procedure. So, youíve been doing your job searches for weeks because you had vacation, severance, a waiting period, etc. and now they want to see verification of your searches. Why do they want to see them now? Is this a standard review? Have you been flagged?

If you were to get denied; you should be able to appeal that decision.

I got denied the first time for unemployment, and am in the appeal process currently. Actually, the school thing typically seems like a disadvantage, as the lady at the desk said "you have to prove it doesn't interfere with your ability to get and sustain a job." Actually, I filled out about 10 applications online, I've slacked on the rest and am wondering if they will investigate every single one of my job searches. The reason I got called on it was that apparently I selected yes for the question of refused work in the online app (filled this out well over a month ago), not deliberately of course must have been in a hurry when filling out the app and all the questions were bunched together so I made a grievous mistake.

I went down to the office and took care of that, saying it was a mistake, but I have to present my school schedule (all online classes so won't be a big deal) and my work search form. Basically, I want to put down false job searches and am wondering if I can get by with it, legally.

RBM
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
If you were to get denied; you should be able to appeal that decision

I've been on and off UI for several years now. The above statement is easily found explicitly stated of my state's UI pages.

What I don't see and have yet to find, since I've been looking it. is reference material to inform a claimant in such an appeal process. For example, to begin with, what does the appeal process use for reference ?

Is it available to the general public ? How is it accessible ? Is it in language that can be understood by a non-lawyer or non-bureaucrat ?

I'll post the answer if and when I find it, assuming no one else does.

mormeguil
09-01-2011, 04:41 PM
How about you do a quick firing of job search right now and put the honest information. I doubt the program care much about the time lapse between job search.

TheStranger
09-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I already turned it in--supposedly you only need like two weeks of work search history, she I basically did more than most. I already have a statement ready if I get called on the carpet about it, it involved playing stupid, which is my strong suit.

Causa Mortis
09-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I already turned it in--supposedly you only need like two weeks of work search history, she I basically did more than most. I already have a statement ready if I get called on the carpet about it, it involved playing stupid, which is my strong suit.

I highly, highly doubt that they will even check, other than the forms that you send in.

Also, high unemployment means they're far LESS likely to carefully screen unemployment claims. Think about it: you're a claims examiner and you have 500 claims coming across your desk per month. You make the claims go away by paying them. You then get 1000 claims per month during a recession. Do you think you will click "Approve" or do you think you will get "Lets get this poor guy who lost his job on the phone, hammer him in a recorded interview, send him written correspondence denying his claim, and get tied up in hearings"?

TheStranger
09-01-2011, 11:52 PM
You have a point there. Now, it's actually convincing the "judge" in my phone interview on the 6th that has me worried. I'll probably have to deal with a representative from my previous employer as well. Damn, and school too, I can barely focus on it all. Eh well, I do what I must.

Causa Mortis
09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
You have a point there. Now, it's actually convincing the "judge" in my phone interview on the 6th that has me worried. I'll probably have to deal with a representative from my previous employer as well. Damn, and school too, I can barely focus on it all. Eh well, I do what I must.

There's a 99.99% chance that the person on the other end of the phone really WANTs to help you, they just need a justifiable reason for doing so.

Research Illinois unemployment eligibility. Make sure that your version and perspective gives them a decent reason to grant you UI. If you broke a rule, make sure you claim you didn't know about it unless you signed prior warnings. If shit happened, emphasize stuff beyond your control. If you did something incredibly stupid, emphasize it was a one-time thing.

Also, make sure you are nice to the interviewer and polite in responses. Odds are they get drama all day, and they probably work a lot harder to deny subjective ones with assholes than they do with nice people.