PDA

View Full Version : Awakenings

AndOnly
06-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi, found this forum a few days ago. I donít know how much I will participate, but I would like to tell you about my experience as an INTJ. BTW: I am from Norway.

I was bored at school, bored when talking to people, bored at work. I never read a book, and if I did it was to get through school. My brother calls me ďMr BombasticĒ, because I am able to be convincing even if I donít know the facts. I donít feel comfortable in situations where people try to relax from work, they have nothing to talk about that catches my interest.
One day I asked myself the question ďWhere do all these problems come from?Ē, I am working in IT. Since that day I have never turned back. I started to read articles, many books, joined discussion forums. Right now I am reading about System Thinking and Cybernetics. I have finally discovered something worth my attention. I like to understand what it is about the way we do business that creates problems. I like to understand how things work. I talk to people to collect information. Before in meetings I was quite, because I have to do a lot of thinking before I talk, but now most of the time I have already done the analysis. I have a lot of facts: theoretical and examples people have given me. Because of this people pay attention when I talk. I have so many opinions and ideas I like to share that people have mistaken me for an E instead of I. I like to share my knowledge, and I like it when people are sharing theirs with me. From never reading books I am sharing books with my colleagues. They are all books of facts of course. I have no problem speaking up to authority as long as I feel that I have facts to back me up.

The first think I did when I started to read about something called Root Cause Analysis was to make a model explaining the concept to my colleagues. I always find something wrong with systems and the way we do things. I always find something wrong with myself. I always deliver my reports on the agreed dates, never earlier because I never seem to be happy about the work. If someone postpones the delivery date one week I will have to work on the report one more week even if I easily could have delivered it on the first agreed date. I hate it when people donít keep appointments or are late. I donít like it when people donít show interest in their work or are under-qualified to do the job.

To me finding the one thing that seem to interest me has been like the movie Awakenings with Robert De Niro and Robin Williams. I have found that I do my best thinking when writing and I get a lot of ideas when having a long walk alone. I need a lot of time to read a book because I get all these ideas I have to write down or think about. You see connections all the time, right?
One day at work we did a MBTI test and I came out as an INTJ. I had the same experience as most of you: suddenly everything made sense. Mostly I am happy that I know more about how people see me and how I am able to scare the livingÖ out of the strong F people. Also, the two people I had chosen to work closes with turned out to be the only INTJ people (of those tested) beside me in our company. Strange (?), I donít think it isÖ ;) BTW: donít get me started on planning!

Monte314
06-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Like you, I am a peripatetic thinker. I am an Adjunct Full Professor in Computer Science at Webster University.

My research is in machine intelligence and related areas. My most recent paper was accepted for presentation at The 5th International Conference on Cybernetics and Information Technologies, Systems, and Applications; I'm also serving on the Program Committee for this year's International Augmented Cognition Conference, and on the Program Committee for the 19th International Conference in Data Mining this Summer.

Perhaps we will have some things to talk about here. Welcome.

Elfrun
06-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Ooh, that sounds like a challenge... Welcome :smartass: so tell me

How do you go with planning? :sneaky: