PDA

View Full Version : Have you every been (wrongly) accused of being mentally ill?

Karatekel
08-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Have you every been (wrongly) accused as having a mental illness or personality disorder only because you're an INTJ? If yes, please describe your experience(s).

Personally, I have yet to be accused (at least to my face). Though I'm only fresh out of high school, so I have a life time ahead of me for the occurrence to arise...

I know I'm not psychopathic or sociopathic, because if I were, I wouldn't care enough to research what those entail and what the symptoms are.

Sometimes I wonder if I have Asperger's Syndrome or other Autism Spectrum disorder. However, I'm perfectly content with my life, so I have no reason to actually seek help (for what would I seek help?) and get diagnosed.

*Edit: Oops! I meant to post this in the General Psychology section!

Purgatid
08-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I haven't been accused of having a mental disorder (other than people calling me crazy for doing things they can't imagine themselves doing). I have been accused for being a sociopath and/or a narcissist. Usually by a girlfriend minutes before she becomes an ex girlfriend. It's disturbing to them that I don't flail about with my arms, yell, cry or wail when we're fighting. But I'm neither of these. My reaction comes later, when the immediate argument is over and the front door is slammed shut. That's when the pain and tears and guilt come.

VF1J
08-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Mental illness or personality disorder?

Homeostasis
08-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Hopefully a mod can move it for you to the Psych forum =)

I have been asked a couple of times if I have Asperger's. I did ask my therapist about it, she said she doesn't agree.

I am recovering from PTSD, but no one has ever picked up on that. Probably due to the fact I'm recovering and also very private (more so in person). I have also been accused of being OCD because I'm a "perfectionist" (according to others).

I just like to be efficient, get things done on time (or before the deadline), and do top quality work. If that makes me OCD, so be it! I can live with that.

Karatekel
08-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Mental illness or personality disorder?
Oops, another mistake... I often get those confused. For the sake of future repliers, let's go with both.

Weltschmerzer
08-11-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm not entirely sure whether it was wrongly posited, but yes. Asperger's, narcissism, and sociopathy, on several occasions and with varying degrees of seriousness

MyotisLucifugus
08-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Hahahahaha. I just mentioned this to another poster a few days ago. Yes, yes I have. As a teenager, I had a difficult time getting along with my mother (INFJ), who was rather pessimistic about me and tended to be a bit overbearing. When we'd argue, she'd follow me if I tried walking away and continuously escalated things to the point where we'd be yelling. I would always try to take a deep breath and explain myself to her while she'd be telling me how wrong I was about something and how embarrassed/ashamed I should be. It was a huge vicious cycle that kept going until we were way angrier than we should have been. She became so overemotional that she called me mentally ill several times, which always made me angrier because I couldn't understand why becoming defensive when (quite literally, most of the time) cornered made me "disturbed."

Now she just jokingly suggests I have Asperger's because of my tendency to avoid eye contact. Apparently I remind her of one of her favorite students before she retired from teaching fourth grade when I do that, which is fine with me.

Valiyn
08-11-2011, 06:18 PM
What's not a mental illness or disorder in the DSM these days?

Karatekel
08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Living. Breathing. That's about it!

Odie
08-11-2011, 07:15 PM
BUAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH

cough

WindUp
08-11-2011, 07:23 PM
I've been called narcissistic and antisocial. /shrugs

mllebrie
08-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Pfft, you wouldn't believe the shit I see people diagnosed with.

MusicalINTJ
08-11-2011, 10:24 PM
One time a gym coach in high school called my mother and recommended I see someone because he thought I was mentally ill.

The reality was that I just engaged in bizarre behavior because I was bored and drunk.

nowt
08-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Have you every been (wrongly) accused of being mentally ill?

Nevery.

R2D2
08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Antisocial and "mute".

MusicalINTJ
08-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh yes I almost forgot. My ex used to accuse me of being schizophrenic. It was basically rubbish. She had her own bouts of genuine, diagnosed illness. She had depression, anxiety, eating disorder, and I believe she was bipolar. Yikes!

g20
08-11-2011, 10:42 PM
no, they were pretty much right every time.

kosh
08-12-2011, 04:29 AM
I think a lot of people underestimate their own judgment. If you have a mental illness, unless you don't mind lying to yourself, you'd be clearly aware of the problems.

So, unless there's an actual problem, I wouldn't consider a mental illness label.

Sometimes I wonder if I have Asperger's Syndrome or other Autism Spectrum disorder.
I do think many, maybe even most, people are slightly autistic; mostly people past ages 22~25 y/o.

thod
08-12-2011, 04:56 AM
If you read the DSM criteria you will be convinced you have several disorders. This is true for everyone, yet most people must by definition be normal.

I do think many, maybe even most, people are slightly autistic; mostly people past ages 22~25 y/o.

The majority of the adult population is always normal, whatever that may be. In the country of the mad, it is the sane man who is considered mad.

sircockburn
08-12-2011, 04:59 AM
Have you every been (wrongly) accused as having a mental illness or personality disorder only because you're an INTJ? If yes, please describe your experience(s).

Personally, I have yet to be accused (at least to my face). Though I'm only fresh out of high school, so I have a life time ahead of me for the occurrence to arise...

I know I'm not psychopathic or sociopathic, because if I were, I wouldn't care enough to research what those entail and what the symptoms are.

Sometimes I wonder if I have Asperger's Syndrome or other Autism Spectrum disorder. However, I'm perfectly content with my life, so I have no reason to actually seek help (for what would I seek help?) and get diagnosed.

*Edit: Oops! I meant to post this in the General Psychology section!

Dude. I'm an ESFP, and I'm forever being "diagnosed" with sociopathic personality disorder (aka APD), including two particularly idiotic shrinks. Why? Not because I have APD (I'm not a killer ty very much. I'd like to keep my anus safe from Bubba) - but because *other* people feel the need to make value judgments on my actions.

It has nothing to do with you being INTJ - people just find armchair-diagnosing an easy way to express their own disapproval for another's behavior.

---------- Post added 08-12-2011 at 02:06 AM ----------

IIRC, there's a "disorder" of being happy. The name was too ridiculous for me to remember tho.

And for schizoid pd, one of the criteria is "being introspective." Imagine that. No, don't imagine. Otherwise, you're schizo.

Inflammation
08-23-2011, 02:52 PM
I was at a restaurant with my family a few years ago, and our waiter was on her way to our table. Then, 2 friends saw me and came by and beat her to the table and she politely waited for the exchange of greetings to go by, blah blah blah, I said "talk to you guys later" or something since we needed to order our food from the waiting waiter (har-har-har). So they walked away and my Dad looked so shocked, and kept staring at me while I ordered. The next day, my dad got mad at me for being in my room most of the time and said "you're locked up in your room all the time, you hide from your friends, you're a real antisocial". I was more concerned about how the hell he came to the conclusion that I hide from my friends than about being labeled anti-social.

I'm definitely not a 'people person', but I'm not antisocial at all.

Platitude Man
08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
My family thinks I have a moral deficiency since I was the first out of many generations (including cousins, cousins of cousins, etc.) to openly proclaim that I don't believe in their invisible sky man.

They think that I'm simply not confronting the "evidence" properly. Funny. I think the same in reverse.

Midichlorianite
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't know, been said to have ADP and NDP. Still figuring out if this is true, since a psychologist said it is the only reason I'm evaluating it's truth. Would have ignored it from anyone else.

BlackFlames
08-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Is it because of being a INTJ or being introverted?

A22
08-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Have you every been (wrongly) accused as having a mental illness or personality disorder?

Only by myself.

Jalex
08-23-2011, 10:00 PM
My mother says she is worried of my mental health since I can recall....

Inflammation
08-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Is it because of being a INTJ or being introverted?

I think it's Introversion and Thinking. I think I can imagine most/all IXTXs as being subject to being labeled mentally ill.

Lillium
08-24-2011, 01:30 PM
-My 4th grade teacher tried to diagnose me with ADD and wanted my parents to put me on pills so I would "pay attention". It is now illegal (at least here) for a teacher to try and diagnose a child.

-My friends called me OCD because my room was "scary clean" (They didn't realize that I cleaned my room when people came over and that's why it was extra clean, though I am very organized overall) Also called OCD for refusing to touch bathroom door handles in public restrooms without using a paper towel.

I have to agree with comments above, it seems like everything is now a "disorder"

DistortionEngin
08-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Some people on the internet say I'm possibly schizophrenic.
I couldent imagine why (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.). :mad:

Still Standing
08-24-2011, 10:19 PM
My mother once wrote in a letter to me that she had given birth to a monster. The "monstrous" thing that I did was remove her from my life a few months prior.

I also grew up to be a "problem person" mostly because my mother seeked a scapegoat to blame for what didn't work in our relationship, whether it was her or I who was dissatisfied about something.

ShadowCat
08-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Not that I know of, but I do put myself down when I don't exceed my expectations.

Aylucid
08-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Every time I get into an argument with my unintuitive mother she accuses me of being "mentally ill". Sensors will really never see things the way we do.

PRBori
08-25-2011, 12:04 AM
No, although I been told I'm crazy a few times. But who cares, I know I'm sane and like any human I can over react to certain situations. Welcome to life.

:)