PDA

View Full Version : Uh, hello?

Oscarvan
06-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Can it be that simple? Four capital letters and all is revealed. :suspicious:

So here I was, reading the confessions of an options trader, who readily admits to squandering a quarter of a million dollars. Looking for cause, other than the obvious reason, making lousy trades, he delves into his personality, his risk tolerance, and provides a link to this personality test. This was new to me, so what the heck, I'll play your silly game and now I have a label: INTJ, 11-31-50-11 or something close to that, as I don't think that adds up. I hate labels. Just as I don't like collectivism and politics, and religion and spectator sports and ignorance.

Where am I from ? Earth. A half a century's worth. First half of that in Holland, the second in the USA. Tried being married a few times before I got it right. 2 offspring. (Must remember to put them through the test. LOL) House, Job....boring right?

I look at the world from 8 miles up. Cross the Atlantic 5-6 times a month driving an aluminum tube. Build things, like this massive workshop (technology center) that took four years. Play with old cars. (Anyone need parts-pieces from an 89 or 91 Range Rover?) Make music in a cover band; keyboard and vocalist. Doors, Stones, Beatles, King Crimson, more. Love sailing. Covered 6000 miles up and down the coast in the last few years. Half of it alone. Ever been alone at night, 200 miles off shore when a nice cold front comes through? 40mph winds, 15 foot waves.....? :stunned: You will hear mother nature speak to you in a tone you've never thought possible. Talking about feeling accomplished, exhilarated and scared to death all at the same time.

Have had some friends over the years. Very few. In the end I'm not sure about the whole human race. All that potential, and so effed up at the same time, is it THAT complicated? I don't think so. Started smoking, popping drinking and snorting in 1978.....It made the pain go away. Quit most of it when I changed continents. When I entered a safety sensitive job environment all I had left was the official drug of the western civilization. Smart enough to keep work and partying separated though. Until that rainy December evening 2000. Telephone pole, oops that WAS a new car..... Officer, I have no idea what happened here. That was the end. No more. It may have made the pain go away at the moment, but there's a price to pay, and I was no longer willing to pay. Now I am a non-smoking-drinking vegetarian. Hey, if you don't fit in anyway you can do whatever you want right? Redirected all the energy to my other activites. Especially the music, it's also a drug, but the side effects are more benign...:)

So why am I telling you guys this? Not sure. I like forums. There's a few I hang out on. Maybe this one will be fun. Maybe there's a bunch of nuts here (pre-occupied with their "problems") after all, what test could possibly figure me out?

So, what's up? ;D

rwyatt365
06-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Sounds like your cup is pretty full. We could gain from your insights.

Welcome.

Elfrun
06-17-2008, 10:31 AM
*pokes nut head in thread* oy hi.

Veggie head, musician, options trader... yep, you'll do :thumbsup:

Welcome.

Oscarvan
06-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks.....no options trader yet......researching. The part about 80%-90% of all options traders losing money has me a wee bit concerned.

AJB
06-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Can it be that simple? Four capital letters and all is revealed. :suspicious:

Seemed odd to me as well how much the four letters opened my eyes and mind.

Hey, if you don't fit in anyway you can do whatever you want right?

Sounds like a good mantra. I'd like to give it a try.

So why am I telling you guys this? Not sure. I like forums. There's a few I hang out on. Maybe this one will be fun. Maybe there's a bunch of nuts here (pre-occupied with their "problems") after all, what test could possibly figure me out?

Hope you decided to hang out for a while. I know I wouldn't mind reading your thoughts and opinions on some of the topics here -- especially after reading your intro. It seems like you have a lot of experiences and I'm interested to see what you'll be bringing to the table.

Oscarvan
06-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Well, I'm not being ignored, as I often am, so that's a good start!

Synamon
06-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Loved the "if you don't fit in anyway, you can do whatever you want" mantra, I used to "fake it" and was very good at fitting into societies predetermined role for me, unless someone actually took the time to scratch the surface. I don't do that much anymore, take me or leave me is my new motto. I've sailed some myself and 40 knot winds are exhilarating and scary all at the same time.

Welcome to your new home.

Oscarvan
06-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I used to "fake it" and was very good at fitting into societies predetermined role for me

Well, most of us, the survivors, are smart enough to know when to make it work. Fortunately I found a profession that works for me. I can put on the costume and smile, do my job, and enjoy it, and take the (good) money and go home. Who I am and what I think doesn't really matter to my employer. If I get the airplane there in one piece without breaking the rules, get along with my co workers, they are happy and leave me alone.

Interestingly enough, there are quite a few people amongst my colleagues that use this MO.

Fashionista
06-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Head still spinning from reading. Welcome

Monte314
06-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Wow, you have quite a story. Stick around and fill us in.

Bioplasmoid
06-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Ditto! That is one fantastic intro, and brave as well. Thankyou for that. Nice to have you here. :)