PDA

View Full Version : Constantly dilated pupils

Chr0n0s
05-31-2011, 12:26 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys/gals have constantly dilated pupils.

What does this mean from a physiological and psychological point of view?

People tell me that I look super stoned all the time.

themuzicman
05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Well, drunk or stoned are possible diagnoses. So are concussion and migrain.

Among other things, I suppose

Reddkatz
05-31-2011, 12:36 PM
I do have to ask if you are taking any kind of drugs? Not necessarily illegal, but also prescription? Have your pupils always been dilated or when have they begun to become constantly dilated? Did you have any kind of recent head trauma? Are your eyes constantly dry?

In the case of drug use illicit or not, they can cause your pupils to dilate. Anything from cough or cold medicines, marijuana, cocaine and decongestants. Your pupils will return to normal after the drugs wear off.

In the case of head trauma you should go see the doctor about it, as your dilated pupils indicate some kind of injury or some other neurological condition.

If your eyes are constantly dry, in the case of staring a computer screen often, your eyes will make attempts to make tears to compensate for the dry eyes.

In any case, dilated pupils shouldn't be that bad if they are the same size and they constrict when bright light is shined in your eyes. If they do not then I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist. Especially if the dilated pupils contributes to things like dizziness.

Chr0n0s
05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
No i'm not taking any drugs and I haven't had a head injury. I always had dilated pupils and I often feel dizzy, but I don't think its from that. I also have hypothyroidism, which i think is what is causing the fuzzyness/fog at times, along with a hard time losing weight, cold hands etc. It might just be that I'm sleep deprived often.

Very recently I began taking a supplement for it and I think its working.

themuzicman
05-31-2011, 12:54 PM
You might ask your doctor about the supplement. It may well contain a narcotic

Reddkatz
05-31-2011, 01:31 PM
No i'm not taking any drugs and I haven't had a head injury. I always had dilated pupils and I often feel dizzy, but I don't think its from that. I also have hypothyroidism, which i think is what is causing the fuzzyness/fog at times, along with a hard time losing weight, cold hands etc. It might just be that I'm sleep deprived often.

Very recently I began taking a supplement for it and I think its working.

Ok, it could also be caused by low blood pressure or hypotension and from your hypothyroidism. Are you taking any kind of thyroid hormones? Hypothyroidism can also cause other problems if it's left unchecked.

Vagrant
05-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Generally, constantly dilated pupils are a sign of severe mental injury/trauma, or drug use.

SirJac
05-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I was born such that my pupils are constantly dialated and slow to react to changes in ambient lighting. As a result my optomitrist recommended that I wear sunglasses anywhere that is well lit. He also informed me that correcting it would involve spinal cord surgery since that is where dialation is controlled.

Unfortunately I don't know anything more about it. It seems to be extremely rare and may not even have a proper name. The glasses help alot, but I still have to wait for my eyes to adjust when I walk out of a store onto a street on a sunny day since I can't always see the traffic.

Chr0n0s
05-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Well... I guess its a good idea to start wearing sunglasses when driving/outside huh... -_- *kicks chair*

Photolysis
06-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Certain drugs can cause dilated pupils, as Vagrant mentions. The other main cause is head trauma. Indeed the pupillary light reflex (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.) is often used as an assessment of a patient in emergency conditions. The absence of it is not a good sign.

Either way, probably best to speak to a doctor about it.

Kmal
06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
not beady eyes, huh?

Sk8ordude
06-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Do you eat alot of turkey?

Megalomania
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Eye drops can cause your eyes to dilate as well, not just things like narcotics and other illegal drugs or severe brain trauma.

JTG
06-02-2011, 09:47 AM
I have a friend who doesn't drink, use drugs, and hasn't had any head trauma as far as i know. Her pupils are almost always larger than average.

Here's a pic of standard indoor eyes for her:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

They shrink down in bright sunlight, but in a dimly lit room she looks like she could be on ecstasy. I'm not sure what causes it. Maybe some people's pupils naturally remain more dilated than most

EcstasyMan
06-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Dilated pupils are considered attractive. This is something you could easily learn to live with

Kmal
06-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Dilated pupils are considered attractive. This is something you could easily learn to live with
ew no way. i like pinpoint pupils, for some reason.
though, ive observed introverts having less dilated pupils than extroverts.

Calica
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
A friend of mine`s right pupil is constantly dilated. The only times they are the same size, as far as I`ve noticed, is when she`s drinking alcohol. It`s always been like that, and the optometrist said it was nothing dangerous.*shrugs* Most people don`t notice it right away, or at all, unless we joke about her crazy eyes.

Kmal
06-08-2011, 12:01 PM
I have a friend who doesn't drink, use drugs, and hasn't had any head trauma as far as i know. Her pupils are almost always larger than average.

Here's a pic of standard indoor eyes for her:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

They shrink down in bright sunlight, but in a dimly lit room she looks like she could be on ecstasy. I'm not sure what causes it. Maybe some people's pupils naturally remain more dilated than most
shes an extrovert?

TheStranger
06-08-2011, 01:50 PM

Hmm...I thought that more had to do with almond-shaped eyes.

SirJac
06-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Hmm...I thought that more had to do with almond-shaped eyes.

The dilation attraction stems from the fact that a person's eyes tend to dilate when they are looking at someone they are attracted to. People tend to respond positively towards someone if that person is attracted to them, and the dilated pupils signal this.

vad1981
06-15-2011, 10:49 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys/gals have constantly dilated pupils.

What does this mean from a physiological and psychological point of view?

People tell me that I look super stoned all the time.

most teenagers and young people have some degree of this...