PDA

View Full Version : Sidewalk satori

Muerteify
06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi, folks. I'm new here. After lurking around a bit, as we INTJs are wont to do, I thought I'd come out from behind the shrubs and make myself known.

I'm from Austin, Texas, where this evening it has cooled down to 96 degrees F. I long from the cooler climes of my childhood!

I discovered I was an INTJ about five years ago, in a work-related seminar the day I came back from my mother's funeral. Though I was not the only introvert in the seminar, I was the only INTJ. I learned being an INTJ is a pretty cool thing! By the time I left class, I was deeply relieved, even proud of wearing my INTJ badge. I understood, poignantly at this point, why my mother and I had had always had such a hard time relating to each other. She most likely was an ESFJ; my introversion was aloofness and moodiness; my intuition was frivolous and meant I lacked common sense. My thinking nature meant I wasn't as loving as her other, feeler, daughters. But because of those qualities and our common Js (my sisters are Ps), Mom had made me executrix of her will. There had already been some tension between my sisters and me over settling the estate, as you might imagine. That Myers-Briggs seminar saved what was left of our family. I gained a lot of empathy for my INFP sisters.

My workplace is very into Myers-Briggs, so my co-workers and I have taken advanced assessments and training, and I'm happy to say that not only am I still proud of being an INTJ, I have learned to appreciate and learn from our extroverted, sensing, feeling and perceptive friends. Nevertheless, it sure has felt good to read all these INTJ posts. Man, do I identify!

Stella Mira
06-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Welcome! Hey, nice to see another Texan! (From Houston myself.)

Elfrun
06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome Muerteify.

That's fantastic youíve been able to use knowledge of the different types to gain empathy and awareness. I believe understanding others can be as important as knowing ourselves.

Iíve found it makes relationships so much easier, thereís less misunderstanding about motivations. It sounds refreshing to have that in a work environment.

No doubt this forum will provide an even greater insight for you.

Iíll might have to come back later to make a silly post, I feel dirty about being so serious :(

Synamon
06-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah, yeah, it's great to learn about others, blah, blah. This forum is all about me, oh I mean you. Embrace your INTJness and welcome to the club.

Monte314
06-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I was born in Dallas, and did my undergraduate work at Rice University in Houston. My wife was born in Crockett, Tx.

Greetings!

Muerteify
06-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey, H-town and D-town represented! Howdy! Wow, dude! Crockett is 20 miles or so from the town where my father was born, Trinity. And I got engaged at Matisse exhibit at Rice.

Yes, empathy is a good thing but I do love being with my own kind. Thank you all for the warm welcome. (See, Ts are nice, too!)

Stella Mira
06-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I was born in Dallas, and did my undergraduate work at Rice University in Houston. My wife was born in Crockett, Tx.

Greetings!

Hey, I'm currently a Rice undergrad! :) Small world.

rwyatt365
06-12-2008, 09:02 AM
I almost got a job in McAllen Texas, does that count? :embarassed:

Welcome to the forum.

Muerteify
06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Yes, it does! Rwyatt, I'm glad you didn't get a job in McAllen. It's like 115 degrees there today.

Now, can someone direct me to orientation?

fonmaneal
06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
I have the perfect chip for you.
Welcome(to the collective).:)