PDA

View Full Version : Just got the news

dax0410
06-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I am an INTJ. It is like having a healthy disease.

In all honesty, I took my first MBTI about a month ago, and it has taught me quite a bit. Not that I didn't suspect much of what it did teach me, but to see it right there in front of me was eye opening.

However, now that I know my type I have started using it to manipulate others, especially my manager at work, which might not be nice.

A little about myself: 23, graduated from UNC-CH (Go Heels) with a degree in Economics, currently work as an investment consultant with a very vanilla job role which bores me out of my mind, so I entertain myself by performing devious but not quite professionally destructive acts on my coworkers. Going back to get a degree in math.

Speaking of anyone know of a good book on the topic of theory of Mathematics? Every math teacher I have had has been more into the "rules" of math instead of the why or how come that serve as the foundation of the rules.

Minerva
06-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Welcome to the forum. Glad to meet you.

When you speak of the theory of Math, are you speaking about discrete math and linear algebra or about how math evolved through the years?

notoppings
06-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Welcome To The Jungle.

Elfrun
06-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Love it, catches the INTJ disease.

Uses it to learns how to manipulate :thumbsup:

Welcome.

rwyatt365
06-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Did you take the red MBTI, or the blue MBTI? Choose wrong, and you can never go back.

Welcome to the forum.

Noehelia
06-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Speaking of anyone know of a good book on the topic of theory of Mathematics? Every math teacher I have had has been more into the "rules" of math instead of the why or how come that serve as the foundation of the rules.

Welcome although I am not an INTJ.

I understand what you mean for the math teachers. There is no point to talk about school teachers as they never had the time to explain something in extend. But even with math professors on one to one lesson I had the same problem. At 15 I did a summer preparation course because we had missed a lot of lessons on our school with a math professor (from university) and I had driven him crazy with my questions. He would just answer "That is the theory, just accept it", but I did not receive any satisfactory answers. Luckily at my preparation courses for entering the university (we give tests) I had as a teacher someone who was previously a math professor in the university and he had a deep understanding of mathematics and the zest to explain everything in details of why.

Have you visited the sites of your national mathematical organizations? Usually they issue magazines, they have articles about maths and they even have suggestions for math books. For U.S. I have found the American Mathematical Society (http://www.ams.org/) and the Mathematical Association of America (http://www.maa.org/).

dax0410
06-09-2008, 11:13 AM
As far as the math theory is concerned, I guess I am looking right now more for the developmental history if you will. It always seemed to me that in class I get the answers and I then have to work backwards to get the questions. On the flip side, I always assumed if I knew the questions then it would be possible to intuitively understand math. In the end, this would mean that I could actually learn instead of memorizing, which most would consider synonymous but clearly aren't. If I could learn then I could more easily apply, if I were to memorize then math would be reduced to nothing more than a delightful game full of rules.

Noehelia
06-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Rules are handy and I am saying that because I can not memorize math rules. The perfect for me would be to understand the rules and remember them so in the future when you want to apply them you have tightly associated in your mind already the rule and the meaning behind it.

Monte314
06-09-2008, 05:25 PM
You guys never took a math class from ME... I think it would have given you a different perspective.

Welcome!

Bioplasmoid
06-10-2008, 06:54 AM
*offers Dax0410 a pack of panadol* Hi there, nice of you to drop in. :-)

Well then Monte314 , I for one will await your tutorials! This thing known as math/maths is a large hungry beast that has the sole mission of destroying my will to live with its dry explanations and lack of color,diagrams and visual metaphores,real-world problems, and unifying concepts to bridge other fields of knowledge. I shudder in fear, knowing that within the next year I am going to be forced to turn towards the monster, and start a slow drawn out war with it, all in my head.

Well actually it was my worst subject in School (yes yes very un-INTJ I know), and something I simply HAVE to improve in, to take on certain things in the future....*shudders*. In reality its really just Algebra and Calculus that scare me the most.

*smouldering eyes seemingly withdraw inward to dwell on future 'seeking advice' thread*

Does anyone have any links to video or audio calculus lessons that use music and drama to convey logical concepts?