PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and salutations

Lemmiwinks
06-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Just recently I was forced out of an organization for saying truthful but unflattering things about a colleague. I was told that criticism of anyone else is out of bounds. This certainly strikes me as odd - honest criticism, taken correctly, is how we improve ourselves. I actually love criticism, from whatever source, as long as it's honest, for I am always trying to improve. Oddly, instead of expressions of gratitude, I was greeted with loudly expressed profanities and an invitation to a fistfight.

And that is yet another of many similar stories from my life. Throughout my existence, I have been accused of being a loner, an asshole, a weirdo, even a druggie (once, while on tour with an orchestra, I ate all of my meals alone and basically avoided people - I needed "alone time" - that was interpreted as a sign that I was stoned - amusing, because I have never even sipped alcohol).

Several years ago, while in law school (after studying music, math, and physics as an undergraduate), I was given the Keirsey test. That's when I found out I was an INTJ. Oddly enough, though perhaps the rarest personality classification, if is quite common in the legal field.

Anyway, while surfing the internet tonight (a favorite pastime, I must admit), I typed in INTJ as a search term and found you lot. It had never occurred to me that INTJs might actually search one another out and socialize. I certainly wouldn't have. But given that this forum exists, it might be interesting to see how I interact with other versions of me.

Throughout my life, I have been haunted by the idea that the world is filled with a finite number of dopplegangers of me. For example, my personality is quite distinctive and, I think, unique. However, I must be mistaken about my uniqueness, for when people meet me, the ones who choose to engage me and not run in horror after a few minutes, they always tell me "I know someone just like you!" It's always just one other person. And seemingly, everyone I meet knows exactly one other version of me. What are the odds of that?

notoppings
06-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Long time no see, oh wait that's the other guy. Welcome to you too.

Elfrun
06-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Just another INTJ trying to get by eh?

Welcome, hope you don't mind but you will appear to be less of a weirdo when surrounded by fellow INTJs in here.

Wait, there's another me :suspicious: ooo that's scarey! :scared:

rwyatt365
06-07-2008, 07:43 AM
The truth hurts, no one wants to hear it (at least not many).

Dopplegangers are so passe, we're clones!

Welcome.

Monte314
06-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Yes, the notion of loners seeking each other out is a little odd.

But we are all such interesting creatures, we just have to get together and celebrate the diversity in the midst of our similarity. We certainly can't do it anywhere else....