PDA

View Full Version : Introducing:

jadefalcon
06-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey guys, my name is Rob and for a while I have tested positive for INTJ, every MBTI test has resulted in an INTJ classification- so here I am in an effort to better understand myself and others who's brains are wired very similarly. I lurked for a week and found that many folks on this board are very similar to me, yet very different.

School
I am 19 and I am a student at the Pennsylvania State University studying Electro-Mechanical Engineering. I enjoy what I do despite some of the difficulty of many of my courses. I'm doing ok, but not at a level where I want to be. I met many more people at the campus I go to (Berks Campus), and they became very good acquaintances- however I still find it very hard to fit in with mainstream society.

Friends
I will make friends at work, at school, or with neighbors- but I can never keep a close bunch of friends anywhere. I have two or three good lifelong friends that I very rarely have any contact with anymore, and it is a shame. I am always pushed to get out and do stuff- but a lot of people see me as a waste of time to crack open- what I mean by that is if I am talking with someone in a conversation, they will be less inclined to become my friend because I am too much "work" to get me to lower my guard. First impressions are important, but I try to give second chances. Other than my roommate who just graduated, I have no friends.

Society
I am somewhat uncomforable around people, but if a topic is started on something then I will get the ball rolling. Usually the conversation begins to slowly arrive at a tangent as I tailor it to what I know- and people usually get bored of me and try to move on. If there is something to talk about, I won't be anti-social about it because I realize that everyone must have some skill at societal relationships to succeed in life. Say I am talking to a navy man who did X job, then the talking will never end!

Career
I chose engineering as my career path because I like to build things, build solutions to problems and think about problems a different way. I can design as an engineer, but I would rather be someone supervising construction or implementation, or I would like to be the engineer that is called in to improvise a solution. Electro-Mechanical engineering is a hybrid degree at Penn State and it is not offered at the Main Campus.

Electro-Mechanicals can be called in for any type of related work- but usually for power plants, hydro-electric plants, or any work involving motors/generators (that is my department, or so I hope). It is a combination of education in the electrical and mechanical engineering fields. Since it is a hybrid major- I have choices when it comes to what classes I want. I am picking systems engineering and more math to accompany my education so that I will be able to use Matlab efficiently. I hate being called a technologist- I am earning a bachelors in Electrical/Mechanical and I prefer to be called an engineer- technologists are engineers anyway. I don't like being called a scientist, either, or a mathemetician, or an artist, or a mechanic.

Long Term Goals
Eventually I would like to work with Northrop Grumman Newport News on designing aircraft carriers. The Gerald R Ford class of aircraft carriers has just started construction and the keel will be laid down by the time I graduate. When I study and bust my arse, I do it for the men and women who serve and protect the country. I do it for me too- but I wish to work on aircraft carriers as a thankyou. I wanted to do something more with my life than working in a factory making toys or something not very important. Engineers make products- and products are ultimatly sold- and I don't like my skills being sold- however this is the case with the aircraft carriers- the Navy buys them. However, they are going to a good cause.

Hobbies
This will be obvious, but I enjoy model building. I will build model aircraft, model ships, and armor (model tanks). I don't build aircraft as often, and armor is new for me. I am a model ship builder and I enjoy what I do. I prefer World War II subjects, but I have ventured into other eras. I built 1/700 scale ships and I build 1/350 scale. The 1/350's I usually RC and make them so they are operable on water. I am working on an aircraft carrier now that weighs about 5 pounds and has some serious torque (rotational power). Eventually, when I build too many I want to give away models that don't have a hold of my heart as much- I want to give them to hospitals or to veterans- thus engaging in becoming a philanthropist. Philanthropy is something I have wanted to get into for awhile now, and my shelves are beginning to fill up.

Anime
I also enjoy Japanese animation, or "anime". I have seen and liked titles such as Lucky Star, Gundam, Macross (Robotech), Full Metal Panic!, Elfen Lied, Excel Saga, Rahxephon, Samurai X, Love Hina, Bleach, Eureka 7, etc. I like the stuff for older audiences, and I attempt to stay away from stuff such as Zatch Bell, Zoids (Zoids was ok though), Pokemon (although I still love 'em!) or anything related to characters collecting things in that manner. They are ridiculously addicting and my wallet can't afford some stuff.

I enjoy mecha genres, science fiction genres, but I also like action and comedy. I like the harem titles (harem is a story setting where one male is surrounded by multiple females who are usually attracted to said male) such as Love Hina because the characters get into situations that I was basically robbed of in high school- so I enjoy watching the outcomes. As something different, I also enjoy completely nonsense and hillarious titles such as Excel Saga and Lucky Star. I enjoy titles with deep thought and storyline, such as Elfen Lied and Ghost In the Shell.

Books
Any engineering oriented person will more than likely tell you that they hate reading, and they hate books. I read enough manuals and technical books, but I actually like reading books- those that are appealing to me, those that are on a subject that interests me, and ones that are technical in nature. I read when I find the time, but rarely I have enough time these days to distribute evenly among what I like to do. I refer to Sun Tzu's the Art of War a lot, I am reading "Endgame, 1945" and I just finished reading "Hamas" (yes, the terrorist organization) and writing a short article on it. I don't read the newspaper often but if it is on the counter I will probably pick it up.

Online Activities
I have been online and doing stuff since about roughly 1998, so about 10 years. I started out playing Mechwarrior3 online through MSN, and I was part of a jadefalcon clan on the servers- hence the username has stayed with me all this time. For those who know Battletech, I preferred piloting the MadCat, Annhiliator and Nova Cats. I usually liked installing large amounts of gauss cannons or large lasers. Later I did play MechWarrior4 online, but not for long since I had other responsibilities at the time.

I have my own blog, which I will post the link to at the bottom of the page. I have been a member of countless forums in the past, so I know what is expected in terms of etiquette and attempts at spelling things correctly for the "ease of read". I played Star Wars Galaxies, an online massive multuplayer online role playing game (MMORPG) from 2003-2007. I left the game because no one was left on my server. That was a large part of my life there that I spent socializing with others through an online game, and having fun to boot. I played EVE online for a few months (starship game), but could not sustain the amount of work necessary to train my character and play the game- it is a huge time investment I don't have time for, sadly. I also played City of Heroes for a few months and enjoyed it- but could not spend time playing enough.

fonmaneal
06-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Dude, when you open up.
YOU OPEN UP!:)
Welcome to the party.

notoppings
06-05-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm surprised that you say you lack friends. With the variety of interest, one would think you would have a large people pool to choose from. Love the carrier choice. Welcome.

rwyatt365
06-05-2008, 07:39 AM
...so, tell us a little bit about yourself jadefalcon. :undecided:

Elfrun
06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Ok... rwyatt, that broke me ;D <---- this smilie doesn't do it justice!

Rob Welcome, glad you've decided to indroduce yourself. You know I hate saying this cause it's not my place but are you sure you're an INTJ? You're intro sounds INTP.

NOT that I don't want you around, please stay... (slap me if I'm overreaching)

When I study and bust my arse, I do it for the men and women who serve and protect the country.
*presents rob with her respect*

szaxazs
06-05-2008, 01:21 PM
I too enjoy harem titles quite a lot. Love Hina rocks.
Try Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gungrave, Air and Death Note. Theese are some that came to mind right now.
Damn me, but Air is one of the best anime.
ElectroMechanical Engineering rocks too. Mechatronics which combines all rocks even more.
Anything with mechanics is fine actually.
I approve of you, welcome.

replicant
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Welcome! :)

No offense but Northrop Grumman = SATAN :yuck:

sriv
06-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Fasionably late intro, and I'm loving the Te. :thumbsup:

jadefalcon
06-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm surprised that you say you lack friends. With the variety of interest, one would think you would have a large people pool to choose from. Love the carrier choice. Welcome.

I am very suprised too- I have a few "unique" interests and unfortunatly not a lot of people to enjoy them with. I also love the career choice. I am also considering BAE Systems.

You know I hate saying this cause it's not my place but are you sure you're an INTJ? You're intro sounds INTP.

30+ times I have registered as an INTJ, but that J is borderline- I registered about a 60% J. It is a lot easier to describe myself on paper or in text rather than in real life. It is very difficult for me to open up in real life until I know a person for a while. My roommate was an exception- He was an ENTJ and things clicked day 1.

Try Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gungrave, Air and Death Note.

I have seen a little bit of NGE, but there are some underlying principles in it I disagree with- IE God wants to destroy humans, angels sent to do it, etc. I have read a bit of Gungrave (manga), and Deathnote is the bomb.

No offense but Northrop Grumman = SATAN

no offense taken ;D if you don't mind me asking, why Northrop Grumman = Satan? business practices? employee treatment? illogical reasons for building war machines?

I'm not doing too much this summer,and it stinks. I am out of work, no money, and I can only sit at home and do nothing. Except for tomorrow- I am going to a WWII Air Show.

jadefalcon added to this post, 1 minutes and 59 seconds later...

Here is some of my work:

instead of posting so much I will just post a link to everything.

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Jadefalcon0

replicant
06-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Quote:
No offense but Northrop Grumman = SATAN
no offense taken if you don't mind me asking, why Northrop Grumman = Satan? business practices? employee treatment? illogical reasons for building war machines?

I don't like their business practices. Since I live in Virginia, they were contracted to take care of state agency information technology. Their service is less than remarkable. They have bilked our agency out of money and we have gotten nothing in return. I fix the majority my own computer issues thankfully because they are honestly too slow.

However, Recently my computer just kept rebooting non-stop. It was an old machine. When a tech was sent, he thought he could solve the problem with a new hard drive. Even though I couldn't resolve the issue myself, I knew a second hard drive was not going to solve my problem. So, I got a semi-new replacement unit running the same tired version of Windows. Everyone in the office has newer machines than me and XP. I am still running Windows 2000. I have been waiting over 2 years for a new machine.

Yeah I got a bit of a personal beef, but my biggest beef is they have bilked our agency out of so much money and this money is Virginia tax payer money. It's not entirely NG's fault but a vast majority of it is.

Motor Jax
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
being in the navy and seeing Newport News... ummm... well, maybe it just wasn't 'me'... you can have that side of the bridge

i'd rather just stay in norfolk

oh, and welcome

replicant
06-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be in Newport News. I live in Richmond. :)

jadefalcon
06-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I think I will check out the area prior to making any comittments- after all that is what internships are for ;)

Monte314
06-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I used to teach in the Computer Science department at Penn State... but that was before you were born, so we probably have no common acquaintances. I also worked at the Raytheon Office there in State College (when it was HRB Singer).

Welcome!