PDA

View Full Version : I am not one of them.....

HankB
06-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Dear Folks, I am not much of a joiner. Never have been and probably never will be. But I ran across this forum, and well, I just had to give it a try. I first took a version of the Myers-Briggs test about many years ago when I joined a major corporation. Since then I've taken it maybe 4 additional times. Life has not been easy but it has been interesting. I would not trade my INTJness for any alternative. I'm a very private person so writing things in a public forum is not easy for me. But I have to say that I am impressed with the seriousness of most of the posts. I am very thankful to whomever set this up.

Is it some kind of anthropology experiment or were your motives merely community minded?

I've always thought the poem below reminded me of my INTJ perspective.

The Aliens................By Charles Bukowski

you may not believe it
but there are people
who go through life with
very little
friction or
distress.
they dress well, eat
well, sleep well.
they are contented with
their family
life.
they have moments of
grief
but all in all
they are undisturbed
and often feel
very good.
and when they die
it is an easy
death, usually in their
sleep.

you may not believe
it
but such people do
exist.

but I am not one of
them.
oh no, I am not one
of them,
I am not even near
to being
one of
them

but they are
there

and I am
here.

Motor Jax
06-01-2008, 04:27 PM
a warm welcome, HankB

nice intro

Elfrun
06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Nice one, love the poem.

So, um, did he say he was impressed with the seriousness of most posts? :suspicious:

Oh, wait, he mustn't have seen the Lounge yet... Riiiight, we’re all serious around here :smug:

PHS Philip
06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Nice one, love the poem.

So, um, did he say he was impressed with the seriousness of most posts? :suspicious:

Oh, wait, he mustn't have seen the Lounge yet... Riiiight, we’re all serious around here :smug:

We don't have a huggles thread or a two eyes thread or anything silly like that!

*coughs*

*surreptitiously tries to hide the NF clubhouse behind a bookshelf*

Welcome to the forum!

mental drift
06-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Pulls rug over a spot of food on the floor from the food fight.

Totally totally serious, right right right guys, sssssserious. Do you um, so you, uh well, enjoying the forum and everything.

Kicks wrong answer game under the couch.

rwyatt365
06-02-2008, 10:42 AM
We are the most serious group/forum that there is. There are none who are more serious. We are so serious that we have to stand on our heads to smile. You won't find any rubber chickens, or flying pigs, or swimming horses (much less anything ever remotely resembling a trampoline) around here. The only thing more serious than this forum is the complete end of life as we know it.

*stands on head and extends hand*
Welcome

Mafiaangel180
06-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Yes, yes this is definitely an experiment. Muahahaha. And we are all guinea pigs. :)

Great poem by the way. Gotta love Bukowski. ;)

curiousjane
06-02-2008, 11:36 AM
You're not one of them?

Good. Neither am I.

*darts off to safety of the NF Club*

Synamon
06-02-2008, 01:23 PM
No worries Hank, march over to the Online Tests thread, you'll find lots of the people on this forum are very, very introverted. Posting is liberating for me actually. And stay out of the silly threads detailed above, they are very addictive. My name in Synamon and I'm addicted to silly threads.

Welcome :)

HankB
06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
There are many stories that I want to write here and yes, I think it would be liberating for some reason. I am very very tired of people telling me that I am grouchy when I am not. It's just that they are interrupting my thoughts while I was enjoying them so much. This indeed, pisses me off. Sometimes I can't get back to -- or even remember -- what I was thinking about because of the interuption. Here's a nugget below that I remember and have copyrighted for pubication elsewhere.

XXXX
It's like in the olden days when the needle skipped in the vinyl record. My plans for world conquest, international peace, or ecological salvation all have to be put on hold because my wife wants to know why "don't you try a new kind of apple; there are so many kinds. What kind do you like?"

"Huh, what are you talking about? I just want the kind without chemicals"

"What about royal gala ones?"

"Ok, great. Whatever."

"But you like oranges better, right?"

"Right! Just get me the f'in oranges. Sunkist, 4012s are the best; from Florida"

"I hate when you swear like that. It's really not called for."

"But I don't care about apples and I was doing something."

"No you weren't you were just sitting there drinking coffee"

" I was thinking about the energy crisis"

"What about it?"

"I think I know how to solve it"

"Really, Enstein? Tell me?"

"Well if you think about it...and I am sure nobody will...if all the fat people in the US, Canada and Europe lost all their excess weight we would save enough energy --- probably be self-sufficient actually because we wouldn't have to transport all that fat around on trains, planes, cars etc. We wouldn't have to grow as much food. Or process all the stuff that they probably love to eat. We wouldn't have to deal with all their bodily waste. Plus if they didn't get prematurely sick the societal cost of dealing with each person would be much cheaper energy wise. But basically if we were all lighter it would cost less to haul our sorry asses around."

"That's what you were thinking about?"

"yup"

"Seriously?"

"yup"

"you're really weird honey"

"Beats watching TV".

Monte314
06-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I like the way your poem lays out on the page... visual as well as aural rhyme.

Jane
06-02-2008, 08:42 PM
xD

Hey Hank, you remind me of a friend

Jane added to this post, 0 minutes and 47 seconds later...

who incidentally has the name 'Hank' too, but it should be a HankG instead of a HankB

Welkommme!

Elfrun
06-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Brilliant, genius, bravo *applause* see people, you just need to think outside the square.

Um HankB, I think I understand why they call you grouchy though, remember even when solving complex social issues, there's still time for fruit ;D

rwyatt365
06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Fruit? Did someone say fruit?

Elfrun
06-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Fruit? Did someone say fruit?

Do you even know why you're here anymore? You're supposed to be welcoming Hank. I'm starting to question your sincerity now... His story was entirely about fruit, every second word was a fruit. Harsh dood. I'm an ENFP, if I can take the time read and analyse Hanks musings then you, as the spiritual papa of the forum should to, hang your head in shame :(

rwyatt365
06-03-2008, 12:34 PM
I was distracted by all of the flying pigs, and duct tape mummies wandering around. But in my dissection of Hank's literary exercise, I saw nothing of fruit. What I saw was the agonized cries of a tortured soul awash in a vast expanse of chocolate pudding. The entire depth and breadth of his existential being resonates with the cacao-induced frenzy of a true addict submerged within his addiction. The pathos was excrutiating.

I'm surprised that you Trinity, of all people,would be so taken in by the obvious and transparent fruitile references and not see the deeper picture. Me, ashamed? Yes, of your paucity of insight. I weep chocolate tears for you.

Elfrun
06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Too many big words, you lost me at distracted. Have you met my dog boy? :)

rwyatt365
06-03-2008, 01:07 PM
OK...let's try this slowly...

HankB = INTJ
INTJ = not like other people
no fruit

Um, yes...I have met your dog boy. *stops Trinity before she slaps him on the butt :irked:*

replicant
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
We could all be intelligent zombies (total misnomer) and we are collectively luring more brains for the feeding fest. Hmm...

HankB
06-03-2008, 07:09 PM
I would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome. I can't figure out how to reply to the individual posts by using the quote thing but I will figure it out. I like this forum for several reasons and it is the only forum I go to on the web that really doesn't serve any specific educational purpose. It's like, well...just people talking and stuff. I can't figure out if I am wasting my time or actually helping myself somehow.

I will say that I visited the lounge and it seems a mess to me. I could actually feel the sticky floor beneath my feet. I had to get out of there. Somebody should clean that place up.

I had a good day today. I am job searching in the new country I moved to recently.

Job searching at this juncture in my life consists of a lot of soul searching, procrastination and bike riding. I really want to get a good job or start a new venture that fits with my personality. Actually I just want to do something interesting. Anyway, I am not sure what that is yet. I stopped by the buddhist temple in my neighborhood to see what was happening there and the monk was complaining about how the neighborhood was changing. So I told him,"hey man, if you can't dig change then who can? You're a buddhist for Christ sake!" I guess that's not the politess thing to say but I feel I did say it with a lot of finesse and compassion. Anyway, it strikes me as very funny anyway. And one of the things I've learned in life is that you need to be able to have a good stash of stories to entertain yourself when the need arises.

Maybe someday I will tell you a story about meeting the Dalai Lama at 5 am in NYC. But I am not a Buddhist. I am not one of them either....but I like them.