PDA

View Full Version : INTJ Artists

Jezebel
09-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Do any of you enjoy art as a hobby? How many have pursued it as a profession or would like to? What subject matter do you prefer? Any particular media? What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are as an artist?

Opti
09-17-2007, 03:07 AM
I enjoy web design - I used to do a lot of it as a hobby and was going to look at a career in design , but there are so many talented people out there especially the youngsters whom are much better than me. Plus it used to take me ages to finish a design as I would be constantly trying to improve on it (Yes I am a perfectionist) Plus I couldn't get used to the use of colours - always choosing black/white/grey. I still do a bit of design now and again as I like doing it - recently my employer asked me to make a coaching card ... The instruction was to use an A3 sheet of paper and 'glue' some photos onto it .. They were suprised at what I produced, I had obviously not shown them my creative side before or should I say they failed to see it?

radioactivez0r
09-17-2007, 03:25 AM
I have no talent for creating from scratch, but I enjoy taking existing content and molding it to my purposes, via video editing and machinima. Finding ways to fit within certain boundaries and retain your meaning is a great challenge.

Jon
09-17-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm going to school specifically for studio art right now and I hope to be a professional comic artist/illustrator. I mainly work in various inks and digital coloring. I can see all of the flaws in my drawings (like most artists), so I generally end up hating them a couple days after they're done. It's a strength because it helps me improve, but it's a weakness because I'm never really happy with the results.

Tarrick
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
One of the things that I would suggest is to just start drawing something (anything really) and don't allow yourself to erase anything. Just work with what you have. It doesn't have to be serious, but you begin to understand how to roll with your mistakes a lot better. I try and draw at least once a day even though I primarily work in Photoshop and Illustrator. Though I've been slacking recently >.<

drc
09-19-2007, 03:22 AM
I have had some success (at least in my personal opinion) at creating music. I enjoy playing guitar (wich I do almost daily) and other instruments when I get the chance. I have days where I am feeling extremely creative and able to come up with new riffs or ideas for the music. Then there are days where I just want to play familiar songs or things that I already know. I have no idea what triggers these different mental states for me. However the balance is most likely for the best. It gives me time to reflect on what I have learned and then I can try to improve upon those ideas.

Also just a thought...

Optimisery1973,

If you really want to do something go out and do it. I wouldn't worry so much about what other people do in the same field. There will always be people doing it and you may percieve that they are "better" than you. However determination and perfectionism can go along way. All that matters is that you do what you want to. Life is too short to second guess. Also I would go with the thought that they failed to see it. :)

Opti
09-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Optimisery1973,

If you really want to do something go out and do it. *I wouldn't worry so much about what other people do in the same field. *There will always be people doing it and you may percieve that they are "better" than you. *However determination and perfectionism can go along way. *All that matters is that you do what you want to. *Life is too short to second guess. *Also I would go with the thought that they failed to see it. *:)

Thanks for the words of wisdom DRC :) I had given up on Design for a career and am currently chasing a career in Retail Management (I've got there but it's a long story) but I will be making sure I use my creativity more often in the role :)

drc
09-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Management can be fun. I personally love planning things out to the extreme. Best of luck to you in your new career.

HackerX
09-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Growing up, I used to be really good at drawing/sketching/painting. These days I still have the eye for good design/art, but I lack either the creativity, or at least the inspiration to pick it up again.

I'm going to school specifically for studio art right now and I hope to be a professional comic artist/illustrator. I mainly work in various inks and digital coloring. I can see all of the flaws in my drawings (like most artists), so I generally end up hating them a couple days after they're done. It's a strength because it helps me improve, but it's a weakness because I'm never really happy with the results.

This is also a problem of mine, anything I do start, I tend not to finish, because I'm never happy with the way things turn out as I go along. That goes for design as well.

Tarrick
09-22-2007, 09:00 PM
You know, with the amount of INTJ artists on here, maybe would should have a little art contest or something. Just for kicks.

Jon
09-22-2007, 10:08 PM
You know, with the amount of INTJ artists on here, maybe would should have a little art contest or something. Just for kicks.

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Firelie
09-22-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm currently in school for graphic design...though I"m not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it. From what I've heard, though, most people don't do much with their majors after graduation (though that seems really silly to me...why bother getting a degree if you're not going to use it in a career?)

Anyway, I tend to be better at abstract designs than actual objects, and I looooooove playing around with color.

Strengths...hmm...I tend to understand what people are asking me to do easier than other people, and I think I have a lot of cool ideas.
Weaknesses... I'm not as emotive or exciting as some artists are...and I don't always have the skills to make my cool ideas come to life.

Rei
09-23-2007, 01:10 AM
Always been an artist. Art has always been my best mark on my report card (well up until I was forced to stop taking art so I have room for career marking courses anyway).

One thing that really frustrates me when I do anything artistic is being the darn perfectionist. Nothing ever seems perfect. On the other hand, it's really what makes me good at anything I guess...

I've recently taken to photography, because it's slightly less time consuming than starting a drawing from scratch. Plus, photography doesn't require instruction from another person so much as the other arts do (you could learn most of the from a book, and the rest if your own creative instinct).

One problem I had in art is that I had a hard time getting along with my art teachers. I never seemed to agree with their preferences, and I stopped my lessons fairly early on. That REALLY sucks now that I think about it, because I end up learning how to do things REALLY SLOW because in addition to not having instructions, my stubbourness keeps me from putting my finger on the problem even if i KNOW it's there. And then the perfectionist kicks in and gets really frustrated... and ends up with numerous abandoned pieces of art work...

The Rose
09-23-2007, 02:22 PM
I have wanted to be a famous singer and songwriter ever since I was 4.
I even went to live in Nashville for 2 years to try and make it in the music business,
but I was not successful.
People have always told me I have a pretty voice and I should make records,
and while I enjoyed the compliments,
it might have been better if people would have kept that silly idea to themselves.
While I can sing well and write nice songs,
I no longer believe I have everything it takes to make it big in the music business.
I cringe to think what Simon Cowell might say to me if I sang for him. :scared:

I do have a small audience I get to sing for,
and I have to satisfy myself with that.

What's funny is that even though I am an introvert is that I have no problem singing on stage in front of hundreds of people.
I'm not shy at all.

StJimmy
09-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Growing up, I used to be really good at drawing/sketching/painting. These days I still have the eye for good design/art, but I lack either the creativity, or at least the inspiration to pick it up again.

ditto.

Guido
09-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I completely forgot until now, but I used to love drawing when I was younger o.0 I was pretty decent for my age too if I remember... too bad I stopped :/ I used to draw ninja turtles when I was in grade 1-3. Then I moved onto baseball and hockey logos. Then I moved onto ships (the old kind with masts and sails.) I could never draw anything from scratch though, it always needed a reference.

StJimmy
09-25-2007, 11:05 PM
i started trying to replicate images from ad&d rulebooks at around 8, which led into me taking art classes up until maybe 12 or so. when the old lady stopped giving the classes i pretty much lost interest and moved on to other things.

lollercancer
09-26-2007, 10:37 PM
i use to love to draw, and i still do when i'm bored in a class.
lot's of gnarly political satire, too great to be destined for any newspaper ;-)

i write scripts, too. the problem with art, for me, is that i become so driven and consumed, that i almost kill myself while making it. It becomes scary, but the results are pretty pretty pretty good.

BlackMita
09-28-2007, 12:56 AM
One of the few things I can sometimes be arrogant about is my drawing ability. I plan on training as a concept artist when I get to college in the not so distant future. Lack of ideas or creativity isnt my problem, but not practicing enough is an issue I procrastinate in fear of not meeting my impossible expectations. Luckily, when I manage to force myself to the task of executing what I set out to, it pawns 60% of the time. Its hard though, mostly for the reasons you guys have brought up; especially the hating it and seeing all the flaws after your done thing.

Im currently battling to learn solid perspective and constructing the human form from memory. Its mostly about over-doing things right now to burn the knowledge into my mind. Thank god for Andrew Loomis books: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jbmontag
09-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I can only draw a stick man. It is a cool stick man though, with hair, clothes and everything ;D

I prefer poetry as my artistic medium of choice.

bikerscars
09-30-2007, 07:51 PM
i've never been proficient at art...

no innate talent at drawing or music...

just never interested me

rasoirviolon
10-02-2007, 11:28 PM
As a toddler I had a keen interest in dogs and art. Both of them combined resulted in numerous sketches of animals. I'm not sure if I can truly consider myself as one who has natural artistic ability since my obsession with dogs has waned and I don't pursue sketching anymore. Perhaps if I had developed my drawing skills when I was younger, I would be something closer to a true artist.

As for my current medium of expression through "art," I engage in poetry and prose (which most are failed attempts). Even with my musical background, I am no virtuoso. Many times I've been told I have potential ...but currently not the means to fully dedicate myself to development of my artistic abilities.

deicruxified
10-04-2007, 07:47 AM
One thing that really frustrates me when I do anything artistic is being the darn perfectionist. *Nothing ever seems perfect. *On the other hand, it's really what makes me good at anything I guess...

likewise... sometimes when i draw, no matter how other people think it as beautiful, i'm still not contented so i actually don't have a collection coz i throw them away afterwards or just give them to those who want it.

i came from a bloodline of musicians and painters (mother side)... we paint on walls and sing on tables!! (err singing... count me out)... i do charcoal painting/sketching and my favorite medium has always been the pencil. i drew einstein in charcoal and is still on display at my alma mater. i also experiment on craypass a bit but being the perfectionist that i am, i think i'm bad with colors except for black and white :( :edit: i have used adobe to draw once and a friend of mine used my work as part of his ad on newspaper but i still prefer working with my hands coz i find digi art a form of cheating hehehehe joke... i just attended a corel painter seminar a while ago and i do hope my budget permits me to get a copy of the software... i find it more complicated yest elegant than adobe.

i love art but i don't want to have it as a career. my sister and her painter friends have always been bugging me to join their art exhibits (they have actually sold their works) and my mom always seconded their remarks. however, i just want art as something i do in times when i need solitude

rwyatt365
10-04-2007, 08:54 AM
A long time ago I sketched and painted (oil), mostly inanimate things. I never had the knack for capturing people or animals. My family is full of artists; my father paints and sketches, my younger sister is a fantastic (struggling) artist, my mother does custom needlepoint, all of us played instruments at one point or another.

I never considered art as a career, guess I didn't consider myself good enough to make any kind of living at it that perfectionist streak in me. I've always kept my artistry to myself.

biased
10-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm not an artist or "creative" in the classical sense. However, I have found that current and younger generation often "imitate" art styles. Japan seems to be quite popular for this. Whatever you do, don't do this. Become creativity, let it express who you are as opposed to some poor imitation.

Jezebel
10-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

Evalind
10-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Management can be fun. I personally love planning things out to the extreme. Best of luck to you in your new career.
Extreme planning goes very well with studio photography.

jeffersonian
10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
I've had some luck with graphic design and music.

I'm much more interested in painting, however. I used to do my own version of famous paintings but with the colors all messed up. Really interesting outcomes.

I'm a big fan of geometric shapes in art. I'm also a HUGE fan of Hopper.

BRENTZ
10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Interesting themes. Black/white/gray/perfectionists. Yeah, me too. I was accepted at Art Center School of Design. I didn't have money. Perfectionist and way too tight. I became an Aerospace Engineer instead.
Anybody else out there INTJ and 99%+ IQ?

phoenix
10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Interesting themes. *Black/white/gray/perfectionists. *Yeah, me too. *I was accepted at Art Center School of Design. *I didn't have money. *Perfectionist and way too tight. *I became an Aerospace Engineer instead. *

Aerospace engineer? Where?

I'm at NASA Goddard...working operations for the soon-to-be-launched GLAST mission.

BRENTZ
10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm at BOEING Satellite Systems, literally across the Blvd. from LAX.

GOD
10-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Interesting themes. Black/white/gray/perfectionists. Yeah, me too. I was accepted at Art Center School of Design. I didn't have money. Perfectionist and way too tight. I became an Aerospace Engineer instead.

Yes, I'm the same. My mother went to art school and my father treats houses he builds as like an expression of artistic intent. (Both INTJ's)

Me, I thought that MONEY was the holy grail and went down that path, only in the last couple of years am I gravitating back towards my artistic abilities. The difference is that us INTJ's can whip those F'ing artists (F in the MBTI sense lol..) because we can apply our scientific approach to creativity.

Iannus Quirinus
10-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Used to be very good at drawing, especcialy at my age, back when I was in elementary school. Then once, I stopped drawing, just shut it out of my mind, and I'm not so good at it now.

Been trying various types of art with some or no luck. Then found something I enjoy: Lately, I really enjoy writing poetry (and some short stories), in english as well as in my mother tongue. I write only for myself though, don't share it with anyone. And I think I'm pretty decent at it too. :)

But then again, I'm not a clear INTJ as far as I know.

Tsuru
10-22-2007, 03:21 AM
I write music. I'm hoping to be a video game composer at some point. Here's some samples if any of y'all are interested:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like to draw silly things that come from the surrealist froth that constantly bubbles in the back of my mind, but my actual technical drawing skills aren't that great compared to most art people. :P I do sculpture/paintings every once in a blue moon too.

I always enjoy writing, and I think I'm pretty good, but it's almost impossible to get myself to do it for some reason.

childofforest
10-22-2007, 11:04 AM

ditto.

ditto again.

I used to love painting and writing poetry when I was young, (I won a poetry award too! :)) but started to lack the initiative to do more.

But one of my wildest dreams is to write a long series of novels like that of Shiono Nanami (a japanese writer who wrote the long epic series The Stories of the Romans). I dream of writing something like she did - a very academic yet fictional and exciting book! Plus, I want to pick up playing instruments again like piano or cello (which I abandoned like six years ago).

BRENTZ
10-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Hmm? So is maturation a killer of our youthful daydreaming?removed unused code tags

Firelie
10-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Hmm? *So is maturation a killer of our youthful daydreaming?

Yes.

BRENTZ
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
So we've become "Wisemen"

Rohsiph
10-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Holding onto the dream of making a living off my art--drawing, writing (fiction and poetry), film making, and hoping to eventually get around to music (haven't really touched the composing side since high school) and game design.

At this point, I am unpublished/unsigned/altogether-ignored with my parents paying for another year and a half of college . . . but am hoping to finish a 40-minute film within the next month, with an idea for a novel planned out that I hope to get started on pretty soon.

Hopefully at least one of my creative talents proves to be marketable . . .

dayguard
10-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Animator in training. Dabbles in poetry and music too.

qwerty
10-30-2007, 08:12 AM
I write music. I'm hoping to be a video game composer at some point. Here's some samples if any of y'all are interested:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like to draw silly things that come from the surrealist froth that constantly bubbles in the back of my mind, but my actual technical drawing skills aren't that great compared to most art people. :P I do sculpture/paintings every once in a blue moon too.

I always enjoy writing, and I think I'm pretty good, but it's almost impossible to get myself to do it for some reason.

Very cool music.. It reminds me of darren hanlon (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.). I'd love to hear your music in a game.

Figmentum
10-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Cray pas and charcoal drawng.

Bossy Mom
11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I like to make quilts; some people call it "fabric art." My specialty is reproduction '30's quilts - so that we never forget our heritage.

Jay
11-20-2007, 02:46 AM
I'm in my third year of design right now. I'm not sure if I want to major in Illustration or Character Design yet though. I just really enjoy writing stories and creating the critters that go in them. Another one of the things I do in my spare time is write/maintain a collaborative story writing site. Write, write, write...

Once all this school stuff is done with, I'm not really sure what I'll end up doing. Maybe game design, web design, illustration... some sort of hybrid. I think ideally I'd like to start up my own sort of design firm. Though I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Alexfree
11-20-2007, 03:09 PM
I enjoy writing, drawing, animation and programming. I would also take up piano at some point. I also design websites, logos and almost everything in between. My strengths are perfectionism, dedication and my relentless search for constant improvement. Sadly, those are also my weaknesses. I am never, never satisfied with the results, despite the kudos I receive.

My dream would be cinema, as a director or editor, and designing videogames.

From the other replies I see that a lot of people share the same interests and at the same time.

I guess INTJ are naturally multitalented due to their focused nature.

supreme_nogi
11-25-2007, 06:47 PM
I love art sooo much! I honstly don't think I could live without it!...I used to want to be an artist professionaly, but due to the lack of money and the fact the u probably have to know people in the art world to BE somebody! I also wanted a more focused career where i'd make great difference to people's lives and at the same time have patient contact! So i choose medicine..

anyways, I still do art in my spare time...I espically enjoy fine art and abstract art!...I think the reason why I enjoy art so much is because it gives me an alternative to express my emotions rather than talking about them to another person which just makes me feel uncomforable!

I like working with a pen/pencils/graphite sticks/watercolours.acrylics...everything really...i like experimenting!

The Many
11-25-2007, 07:17 PM
I love art. I have written music (and lyrics) and poetry - strangely enough I can only write poetry when I am feeling something, which I, being my usual rational self usually am not. Music is easier since I can write it in a more mechanic/rational way... since my band project broke down I haven't had that much inspiration, though.

I am also currently writing a play together with an ENFP friend, which is a very interesting experience. Not only writing it, structuring it and getting it done, but also managing to get the ENFP to work is quite the task :p.

Ohh, and I have a couple of ideas for books lying around too, but those are to be dealt with later. They will be quite conceptual and philosophical though, I can say that much.

justintj
01-05-2008, 12:36 AM
My job is as a 3D computer graphic (CG) artist/animator. But I'm a slow learner, while this field requires me to study and create a lot in a very short time.

In addition, according to To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. a computer animator should be an INTP, instead.

So, my questions are: "What's the main difference between INTJ and INTP? How does an INTJ succeed in a CG career?"

I just found the answer to my questions on: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks.

Santana28
01-05-2008, 02:35 AM
<~~~ visual "artist" here. i've actually done dozens of concert posters for national/internationally touring bands... well, i designed them at least. i let my husband sign his name and take all of the credit, and now he has somewhat of a name for himself. even had a gallery showing once...haha... i thought that was terribly ironic :)

growing up, i drew compulsively. i never really tried to perfect anything - i just drew out of frustration. the attention it brought me was always a thorn in my side that i wish i could have made go away.

i really dont see visual art as my particular form of expressing myself - i'm just very good at interpreting things in a visual manner i suppose (i dont know, i dont like most anything i do...everyone else seems to love it though)>

When i was young, all i ever wanted to do was play an instrument. i begged my parents over and over again for a guitar, or a piano, or drums. for whatever reason they never let me have one. i have an ear for things and have often thought about getting into audio engineering... and i wish i had the attention span to write...

i HATE "artists" btw. you either are creative, or you aren't. creativity applies to everything in our lives, not just your skill at illustrating ideas. ugh.

Rohsiph
01-05-2008, 03:25 PM
i HATE "artists" btw. you either are creative, or you aren't. creativity applies to everything in our lives, not just your skill at illustrating ideas. ugh.

I'm not sure I understand what distinction you're trying to make--but it sounds interesting . . . maybe you could expand on your idea a little?

Santana28
01-05-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure I understand what distinction you're trying to make--but it sounds interesting . . . maybe you could expand on your idea a little?

i suppose i should, since i let that slip out. i could go on and on about it. i'll dig up some of my old writings, as soon as i figure out how to post a picture :) FYI i have no option relating to attatchments or files at all...

danalaina
01-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Do any of you enjoy art as a hobby? How many have pursued it as a profession or would like to? What subject matter do you prefer? Any particular media? What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are as an artist?

yes, it's both professional pursuit and hobby for me.

subject matter isn't terribly important. evoking emotion interests me. lately i'm skewing abstract and focusing a lot on color and texture.

my preferred medium is paint, but i'm most skilled with pencil, pen/ink, and digital.

my strength is that i'm not afraid of producing something terrible when i try new things. it certainly happens often enough. >.<

my weakness is that i still tend toward the precious. when i was growing up, there was always a little high associated when i made something that other people praised. disapproval didn't matter much, but who doesn't like being told they're wonderful? now that i'm a little more serious in my intent, i'm having to unlearn the tendency to make pretty things. nothing significant ever comes from dithering.

Medicus
01-22-2008, 05:02 PM
I am an artist in several mediums (pencil, metals, sculpture, dentistry) yet I often end up angry at how my judging mind takes over the process. The illusion of "perfect art" has caused years of frustration and not finishing or following through on projects. I even opened my own pewter-casting company full time. But the impulse to always improve my production process left me burnt out and furious most days. Drawing often requires that I access my right-brain. This normally causes a war to erupt within trying to trust the non-verbal part of my being that can draw, and quite well. I worked through Betty Edwards "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" book back in 1988. Progressed from drawing stick figures to near photo-realism in about two months. Then I quit out of fear and have only just recently begun to draw again after a 20 year hiatus. How does an INTJ make art? I have asked and risked upon that question for over twenty years now. I miss the joy of drawing and creating that I remember as a child. It is a grief that has yet to be healed within my soul. Art typically means emotion. And INTJ's hate emotions, right? Simply keeping the passion going for a project has been very hard for me. The "judge" within me usually takes over, begins dictating and forcing the process, and before long I throw my hands up in disgust and quit. Maybe I have chosen the wrong medium(s)?

Alpha Prime
01-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Doing art, professionally, has many disadvantages. For one, I hate creating something that has to live up to someone else's standards.

DeadSpace
01-26-2008, 02:59 AM
use to draw/sketch and paint, oils and acrylics, nerve damage stopped that they regenerated but my hands shake slightly, not good for precise work. Now it's 3D art, modeling, texturing, rendering. Actually more enjoyable than painting ever was, i can change whatever i want, or view the scene how ever i want, easily :)
Constant tweaking is the one downside...don't think i've ever been completely happy with a render yet...always one more little adjustment...

Solmyr
06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
I was wondering how many INTJs end up as artists in some medium (that is, a medium traditionally defined as an art medium). My interests are in film and theater, and Film is one of my majors at college. I end up analyzing performances closely, watching scenes in a film over and over again to try to understand all the messages and facets in them, and of course, in putting any creation together, asking "does this work?" and "why does this work?"

Any other INTJs here with artistic tendancies?

Double Victory
06-13-2008, 05:23 PM
I've always been artistic, and I have a very good eye for proportioning things. Unfortunately, I was drawn into the anime fad which got me drawing that style for years. I only developed that part of my drawing, and now that I don't watch anime anymore I feel like I've lost my artistic connection. I wouldn't know what to do or where to start if I wanted to get back into regular art again.

Solmyr
06-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I've always been artistic, and I have a very good eye for proportioning things. Unfortunately, I was drawn into the anime fad which got me drawing that style for years. I only developed that part of my drawing, and now that I don't watch anime anymore I feel like I've lost my artistic connection. I wouldn't know what to do or where to start if I wanted to get back into regular art again.

I took a standard drawing class in high school. For various reasons, the class didn't appeal to me at the time, but the structure of the class was around developing first one technique (gesture drawing) then another (line drawing) then applying them to projects. If you found a class like that, maybe starting over again from basics would give you a foundation for experimenting, and not risk having you fall into the cliches of one genre (in this case anime)?

SonOfaWino
06-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Artist Here......My avatar is a photoshop painting of mine. I work in all kinds of mediums. Mostly digital, oil and pencil though. The fun of it is figuring out how to create different effects/textures in the painting, and figuring out light source direction.

Monte314
06-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Here is a computer generated picture that I made. I think it is beautiful. It was generated entirely mathematically... color, light, shadows, shading... all created using mathematics that I formulated fom basic principles, then wrote a computer program to generate. What do you think of it? Is this "art"?

Rhubarb
06-14-2008, 12:30 AM
I have an interest in art. I've been drawing for quite some time, and I enjoy looking at the similarities and differences between figures. I usually use graphite, but I dabble in acrylic and pastels, and I've taken up embroidery. I would never pursue a career in art, but drawing and embroidering, I find, give me something to do while I think.
I plan to take a minor in art history when I attend university, though. Like Solmyr, I love analysing and looking at all the detail and implied meaning in works of art (whether 2-D or 3-D.)

44sunsets
06-14-2008, 12:56 AM
There are lots of INTJ men and women in the professional comics and manga field. That's not surprising, because "art" can cover a huge variety of fields. A lot of art is technical and complex and detailed, and INTJs really excel there.

Double Victory
06-14-2008, 01:28 AM
I took a standard drawing class in high school. For various reasons, the class didn't appeal to me at the time, but the structure of the class was around developing first one technique (gesture drawing) then another (line drawing) then applying them to projects. If you found a class like that, maybe starting over again from basics would give you a foundation for experimenting, and not risk having you fall into the cliches of one genre (in this case anime)?

Well, I took a year of art almost every year of my school. I'm very familiar with the basics, it's just that now there's nothing else that I really want to draw. And since I don't really want to draw anime, it's kind of like I've lost the desire to draw at all. I'm still very drawn towards being artistic, but it's weird for me not wanting to draw, when that used to be such a huge part of my life. I take out my art more often than on myself, now, like as in what I wear, how I do my hair, etc.... It's really satisfying for me since most of it is proportioning, but it's less generally accepted as art.

bricklayer
06-14-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm an artist. I'm into the fine arts, graphic arts, even musical and theatrical arts. It seems to contradict the INTJ personality since it says our minds are like computers.

44sunsets
06-14-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm an artist. I'm into the fine arts, graphic arts, even musical and theatrical arts. It seems to contradict the INTJ personality since it says our minds are like computers.

It's not contradictory at all. Fine art is very sophisticated. Just look at the link between mathematics and music for example. I think it's quite possible to spot the difference between "T" art and "F" art as well. Art is so versatile and creativity has an infinite number of outlets.

Tyrant Soup
06-14-2008, 02:17 AM
Does a scam artist count?

Just kidding... really! I was good in art in school, but I never pursued it. I ended up in engineering instead. Design can be a good outlet for creativity too.

Danisty
06-14-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm a portrait artist, but I don't do it for a living.

Lucan
06-14-2008, 10:20 AM
I enjoy painting in acrylics, doing pencil sketches and Doodling. I tend to paint semi- realistic pictures like landscapes and the occasional abstract when I am in the mood for it.

intj5784
06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
i would love to be in film. anything from an actor, writer, producer, and to a director.

Lucan
06-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Here is a computer generated picture that I made. I think it is beautiful. It was generated entirely mathematically... color, light, shadows, shading... all created using mathematics that I formulated fom basic principles, then wrote a computer program to generate. What do you think of it? Is this "art"?

Its a form of graphic art, its kind of cute but makes me think of m&m's . Great now I'm hungery.

lambpox
06-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm an artist, but sadly I never draw enough. I posted some of my art in the art thread. :)

xtremegeek
06-15-2008, 03:53 PM

That is really cool! The colors of my living room are lime green/red/black. That picture, blown up quite a bit, would fit right in. You're awesome.

Monte314
06-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Its a form of graphic art, its kind of cute but makes me think of m&m's . Great now I'm hungery.

----

Wow... my art has touched someone... not their heart, mind, or soul, but their stomach!

I am vindicated, and my suffering has been validated!

TheReal
06-17-2008, 03:26 AM
I draw, and paint on photoshop. I prefer photoshop because it is much quicker for me. I would like to start actually painting in real life though. I draw portraits, and animals. I also draw caricatures because I think its fun. Create abstract art because I like using lots of colors and contrast. I analyze every form of art. I will listen to a song over and over, or certain parts of a song and try to figure out why I like it, and why it works. I will look at a picture and try to see why it looks good. Change parts of it and see if the beauty is still there, or how it changed. Think up theories and try to apply them, it's endless.

Nexus
06-17-2008, 10:08 AM
I can't draw, sing, dance, or play many instruments. What I can do, though, is write. I enjoy writing stories and poetry. Ultimately I hope to tell my stories through another medium, specifically interactive entertainment.

Lucan
06-17-2008, 12:08 PM
I can't draw, sing, dance, or play many instruments. What I can do, though, is write. I enjoy writing stories and poetry. Ultimately I hope to tell my stories through another medium, specifically interactive entertainment.

Writing and poetry is art, so don't knock yourself Nexus. If you have a talent use it else why do you have it and why do you waste it, hmmm? Embrace it and enjoy.

Max T
06-17-2008, 01:25 PM

It's certainly good- I'd love to know what created the maths that created the art.

But initially the gaze is drawn to the intersection of the three lines, yet this point is annoyingly blocked by the silver blobs.

So, the gaze focusses on the blobs and to seeking a pattern amongst them, based on the lines being axes to a 3-D graph and the blobs representing data points. But I see no pattern.

I think that if you ommitted say 80% of the blobs, it would be a very appealling picture, as the viewer could revel in the 3 dimensional effect of both the graph axes and of the remaining blobs.

How about positioning the blobs to spell out a word/phrase of ironic meaning, such as "new saviour of the world", so the artwork symbolises science (specifically data and stats) dethroning God in the battle with global warming.

Or use global temperature and CO2 levels over the past few hundred years as the data points (they rise over time) and the text "where art thou?" tailing off from 2008s data entry.

Pirate1650
06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I am a artist and animator. I went to college for 3D animation but I could never find a job so now I'm waiting to to Basic Training. I have always drawn in pencil that has always been my favorite. Now that I know photoshop though I have been drawing there more. 3D modeling is fun if you don't have to do it for someone since it is time consuming. Blender is a free 3D program if you wanted to try it. I downloaded it but haven't gotten to learning it yet, we used 3Dmax in college.

I also do the martial arts, I just got my black belt in November. I've been doing it for five years now and it is my favorite sport. We do a mix of all styles but it is based in Shaolin Kempo.

As far as music the only thing I know how to play is a radio. I do like to take apart and build audio equipment so I guess I'm pretty good at that.

I like to consider cooking an art, since it is the culinary art. I do that all the time too. The funny part is that I probably am less specific in cooking than anything else, I usually just toss things together and see what happens. Usually it comes out great so I'm either lucky or good I don't know yet. So far the only big failure I can remember is trying to melt that Parmasian and Romano cheese that you get in those green canisters and sprinkle on spaghetti, that doesn't work at all and it tasted gross, eahck. :yuck:

All of the performance arts are failures for me though, acting, dancing, ect...

Lucan
06-18-2008, 12:00 PM
So far the only big failure I can remember is trying to melt that Parmasian and Romano cheese that you get in those green canisters and sprinkle on spaghetti, that doesn't work at all and it tasted gross, eahck. :yuck:

All of the performance arts are failures for me though, acting, dancing, ect...

Your cheesey disaster sounds funny. Sorry but it does as for the performing arts that's ok. Thats whats nice about the arts, there is such a variety there is something for everyone.

Pirate1650
06-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, it was because we basically had no ingredients left and I was trying to melt that stuff in the oven.

I love almost running out of food and trying to make a meal out of whatever is left. It is a great challenge. That has been the only catastrophic failure so far, the couple other bad ones were passable, like trying to fry dried pasta in oil without boiling it first, it worked okay but I wouldn't make it again.

Monte314
06-20-2008, 11:18 PM
It's certainly good- I'd love to know what created the maths that created the art.

But initially the gaze is drawn to the intersection of the three lines, yet this point is annoyingly blocked by the silver blobs.

So, the gaze focusses on the blobs and to seeking a pattern amongst them, based on the lines being axes to a 3-D graph and the blobs representing data points. But I see no pattern.

I think that if you ommitted say 80% of the blobs, it would be a very appealling picture, as the viewer could revel in the 3 dimensional effect of both the graph axes and of the remaining blobs.

How about positioning the blobs to spell out a word/phrase of ironic meaning, such as "new saviour of the world", so the artwork symbolises science (specifically data and stats) dethroning God in the battle with global warming.

Or use global temperature and CO2 levels over the past few hundred years as the data points (they rise over time) and the text "where art thou?" tailing off from 2008s data entry.

------------

I'm glad you found it interesting. The selection, sizing, and positioning of the ellipsoids was done by the program itself, not by me.

Math: Mostly linear algebra, a little bit of palin old algebra, with a dash of vector calculus thrown in (computing gradients to determine the shading).

Sorry about the blobs covering up the origin; this is the program positioned them.

God will not be dethroned.

chogyam
07-14-2008, 05:14 AM
I was wondering how many INTJs end up as artists in some medium (that is, a medium traditionally defined as an art medium). My interests are in film and theater, and Film is one of my majors at college. I end up analyzing performances closely, watching scenes in a film over and over again to try to understand all the messages and facets in them, and of course, in putting any creation together, asking "does this work?" and "why does this work?"

Hey there! Nice to know, some of us are artistic types.
...and yup, I am an artistic kinda guy. I have been drawing, painting, (also playing guitar, baking, cooking, etc etc etc...anything creative) since I was very young. I have a BFA in digital imaging (loved video!). Eventually got a Masters (primarily in video) and studied film theory/editing/critical art theory at a great school, Vermont College. My main curiosity, while studying at V.C. was how to use editing and sound as communicative elements. Since there is no "VIDEO THEORY" I studied film theory...books by Trinh T. Minha (film maker) ("cinema interval"), Sergei Eisenstein, ("film sense" and "film form"), "sculpting in time" about Andrey Tarkovsky, and 2 books by Gilles Deleuze (philosopher)("CINEMA 1 the movement-image" and "CINEMA 2 the time-image"). Those effected me the most.

My video work is not like film (movies), they are non-narrative, and have become more abstract, over time. The audio is as important (if not the most important) as the visuals, because they effect the viewer so strongly. I use sound, color (vivid), and editing to shift the viewer from being "stuck in the head" to being more with senses (seeing, hearing, etc) based...(why I do that is way too much to say here.).

I love video, it is so complex and detailed...and you can make anything that you can imagine...or intuit, and I am always learning.

I have taught digital art, as an adjunct prof for 8 years...but I am as poor as a church mouse...and after screwing up 3,000 students minds, its time to move on. OH, I have found it virtually impossible, to sell DVDs of my work...2 abstract for mainstream.
I did it for the JOY, and learning anyhoo...not $$.

I would enjoy a reply...about video/art/um, new careers?/life...etc.

chogyam added to this post, 12 minutes and 3 seconds later...

Nice image...(sorry to offer advice...or wishes), I would love to see the silver objects with a background of bluesky/clouds....I would also love to see the blobs move around, in a video. thanks!

Ranie9
07-14-2008, 06:38 AM

I don't really like it, but something about it is soothing. Those round shapes are nice. Have you ever looked into Fractals?

Dex
07-24-2008, 10:29 AM
I love video, it is so complex and detailed...and you can make anything that you can imagine...or intuit, and I am always learning.
I would enjoy a reply...about video/art/um, new careers?/life...etc.

ive considered going media producer (publicity,radio tv) but i guess that environment is more suitable for extraverts since it sometimes forces you to go outdoors while i wish everything could be done intellectually in front of my computer.i am intp though
i also met an intj girl who loved writing and drawing (but then she switched to public health,now she mentors teenagers in abstinence only sex disease prevention.shes only 21yrs old)

Theonymic
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I compose music (mostly what is known as progressive metal) and lyrics. I also like to write poetry and I've come up with a few ideas for films recently, though I haven't had much time to get these developed just yet...stupid school! I also think I would make a good actor, as I am pretty talented at imitating accents and expressions (I am a true INTJ: I rarely express my own emotion, and I analyze that of others to the point where I can replicate it) and applying myself to the situation being portrayed in order to develop the proper reaction.

Darkmist
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I draw, write and love creative experiments with food. (to me a recipe is a base). Years ago, I dabbled in oil and acrylic paintings of landscapes and even sold a few before I grew bored with it. House and landscape design is another artistic interest. It's fun to play with layout and try to get the best possible in the least amount of space, with the most bang visually. (I designed my current house) My color sense has always been good as has my sense of proportion.

I used to make costumes too. Mostly medieval with some other historic periods and a few theatrical. All without actual patterns. I'd buy one long skirt pattern and modify it in various ways to become many different skirts and so on. Funny because I hate sewing. Hmm, maybe that's why it didn't last beyond a couple years.

ScottH
08-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I occasionally draw; portraits, mostly. Others say they're quite good.

However, I'm aware that it isn't any sort of astistic interest that motivates me... it's two very simple things:
1) The quietude that I experience when my right-brain dominates (as is the case while drawing)
2) The act of accurate reproduction is very satisfying for me

brocaknows
08-12-2008, 10:14 PM
hey,

so i studied photo. really enjoyed creating based on concepts. also loved the darkroom. However, Ive found that in terms of work it is not for me. I miss the darkroom and I still play with photoshop a lot, but I havent enjoyed working in art or photo-related fields. After two years of going from job to job like a ping-pong ball, Im considering going back to school for psych.

oh and chogyam, sounds like interesting work. you should send some stuff in to the space-- To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. They show some nice and experimental films.

broca

oldness
08-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Art (specifically music) is my science. I love it enough to have chosen it as a career. However, my mind does not operate in the same way as most musicians I know. I'm often very calculated and coldly logical about my aesthetic, though I know that I'm catering to a consumer base that wants art to make them feel rather than think. My awareness of this has helped a great deal in balancing me out both as an individual and artist.

I believe that music (art in general, really) is most efficient means to communicate raw emotion. Tchaikovsky has a great quote that sums it up very nicely: was not the purpose of the symphony, he asked, "to express everything for which there are no words, but which surges out of the soul and demands expression?" I have always equated musical fluency with emotional fluency. My drive to become a better musician/producer has always been tied into a longing to express that which I cannot express verbally or bring myself to show outwardly.

Of course, I'll also indulge my intellectual side from time to time - I've recorded tracks, for example, that involve the simultaneous recitation of a couple TS Eliot poems over a bed of music. This is the stuff I do myself for laughs, though. I know that it has no broader appeal, and generally only show it to my closest friends.

But art was not meant for vacuums - its impact is greatly heightened with mass exposure (though not necessarily mass appreciation). Hence, I have to force myself to be something of an extrovert every now and then if I want to get anything done. Herein lies a central dilemma of the INTJ artist...

zibber
08-13-2008, 04:40 AM
I'm a hopelessly absurd cartoonist.

Chucklebug
08-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I occasionally draw; portraits, mostly. Others say they're quite good.

However, I'm aware that it isn't any sort of astistic interest that motivates me... it's two very simple things:
1) The quietude that I experience when my right-brain dominates (as is the case while drawing)
2) The act of accurate reproduction is very satisfying for me

I know what you mean by that quiet feeling, when you have a pencil or brush in your hand it's like all those useless thoughts shut up and only what is really important surfaces. But it's not the expression of feeling through art that gives me that; its the control and act of creation. And I do also prefer more mathematical or 'smart' thinking art rather than expressive art - although that can also be intelligent of course.

zibber
08-13-2008, 10:01 AM
it's not the expression of feeling through art that gives me that; its the control and act of creation.

I know exactly what you mean; for me, to draw a head and just to see that thing get a personality and be there independently of me is amazing.

le Duc
08-13-2008, 10:29 AM
I get an absolute thrill out of acting: I have written, directed, and acted in full-scale community and church dramas for the past decade, and I love it. The opportunity to create (and be in charge of) a production like that is part of it... the opportunity to be someone else is the other part.:curtain:

I did a couple oil paintings when younger: was good at it, but didn't enjoy it that much.

Lupin
08-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I enjoy life drawing, sculpting and all things creative from cooking to making clothing. Loathe knitting however, as hate being controlled by instructions and end up with scarves even if I start trying to make socks ;). Actually believe I do this on purpose due to a perverted sub-conscious or other persona.

Have made short films during a directing course and would be keen to start writing on a more serious basis. Love film and would very much like to make documentaries....anything else would be too draining emotionally...but have also thought about writing books....something for a few years' hence I wager.

Had a play around with stage....acting a bit but preferring to sing and dance in musicals for a giggle which ended up me joining a really good opera company with professionals (something a little more serious). Loved the costumes especially for La Traviata....ooooh the ballgowns and such were divine.

Currently helping organise jazz concerts in France and having a go at building up my voice for jazz and blues in the future. This is just for fun I might add.

Yep, I'm a frustrated artist as I know what I love doing but conscious that I can't decide which media works best for me and that deters me. I still have bills to pay so err towards reality rather than fantasy but thoroughly tempted if I could afford to be creative full-time. Only time will tell whether that is my destiny or not.

If it's your thing to be artistic, I give you my wholehearted support. Enjoy!

Wuchak
08-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Hardcode (hand-entry html, css, script) web design, photoshop, literary and musical composition -- but all from a systems builder perspective. I know that my spatial creativity is limited, and I don't ever expect to eclipse the potential of an ISFP artist.

ScottH
08-15-2008, 07:06 PM
I know what you mean by that quiet feeling, when you have a pencil or brush in your hand it's like all those useless thoughts shut up and only what is really important surfaces. But it's not the expression of feeling through art that gives me that; its the control and act of creation. And I do also prefer more mathematical or 'smart' thinking art rather than expressive art - although that can also be intelligent of course.

I understand completely; me too. I don't really express anything by drawing; I do it as a more or less mechanical act of duplication, from what I see to what I've drawn.

I also get a "quiet focus" doing intellectual things, but it's not as complete. Science shows that performing spacial thinking (epitomized by drawing) more or less quiets the left brain chatter.

Cicatrix
08-19-2008, 06:13 AM
I used to be right into the graff when I was younger. Running from cops and defacing buildings seems a world away now. To satisfy the artistic urge these days I do Graphic Design for a hobby, mainly using Illustrator. I did some paid work for a friend starting a new business but it drove me mad when he wanted to make all these changes to my stuff. Guess thats one reason why I'll never do it for a living.

migosnow
08-28-2008, 01:05 AM
i always want to be an artist cause i consider my self to be very creative and so say the others. but i lack of initiative and self control, so it's hard for me to realize my idears

salsipuedes
09-01-2008, 03:25 PM
I I do Graphic Design for a hobby... I did some paid work for a friend ... but it drove me mad when he wanted to make all these changes to my stuff. Guess thats one reason why I'll never do it for a living.

You are so right!

I have an MA in publication design-creative writing and worked as a designer for a while. Loved the work itself, but didn't do it long since I loathed having clients. If they want to change my stuff, let them do their own design.

But I've been more of a fiction writer, really, since I was a kid. Have had some stories published and a play produced.

Love actors, hate producers and directors. Probably for the same reason I can't stand design clients. I don't write plays anymore.

For the last few years I've been learning to write novels. Maybe being an INTJ makes that harder than it needs to be. Acquaintances who started about the same time I did now have two or three books out. Sometimes it feels like I have more interest in the process than in the story.

Publishers are sending me "nice" rejections, though--notes saying "send us something else"--so eventually when I get the process down, I'll segue into that career.

GuerrillaVoyage
09-01-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm a film-maker and currently making television pilots. Film making in my opinion is just like a huge puzzle with so many different real world and creative elements that I really get off on the challenge and complexity of putting all the pieces together.

I'm also a writer having had my own column on a website and magazine. I've also written an unpublished book (that's not really much of an accomplishment but I'm just amazed that I was able to stay focused long enough to compile enough material for a book)

My mind tends to be more creatively artistically focused but in a really strange pattern kind of way. I seriously could not relate to other students when I went to film and drama schools because they were acting off of raw emotions and trying to play their image of stereotypes or unconsciously doing Jungian archtypes. While I was very psychological conscious and acting more off patterns or calculations or theories than raw emotions. For instance, I know this is going to sound completely like bullshit or make me sound really egotistical but I always felt like I understood Kubrick's movies. I felt like I got the unconscious language going on in his films. And when I was in film theory classes and I'd listen to my classmates trying to dissect his films or discuss them, I would become legit upset because I thought they were thinking on such basic levels and didn't see what I was seeing.

People also say I'm one of the most genuinely funny, abstract, and poetic people they've ever met when I finally open up and become comfortable around them. However, I attribute a lot of that more to being an Aquarius, doing a lot of psychedelic drugs, and having a lot of life experience more than being an INTJ.

Of course this is the internet and none of you people know me so I'll also take the opportunity to say I'm the lord Jesus Christ. Please PM me for a P.O. Box address to send your donations.

Beckatron
09-19-2008, 04:55 PM
I draw portraits. E.g -

I'm also an animation student, my degree consists of a lot of drawing, but I'm specialising in CGI software this year. I prefer the technical side of things.

Fej
09-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Very nice Monte. Of course that's art. Your piece is abstract and non-representational.

Kodn
09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm an amateur artist. I hope to someday make it more than a hobby, but I sorta think that will happen in my twilight years now.

I get frustrated easily with drawing. I need to collect a massive amount of information in my head to really be able to draw the human form from all angles and positions (I'm very systematic). But finding the time and motivation while working (more than) full time as a business analyst is not always easy. :)

Kodn added to this post, 0 minutes and 50 seconds later...

oh and here's a link to my drawings (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.) if anyone was interested.

Onotheo
09-27-2008, 06:16 AM
I only started drawing at age 16, and still have in my position a few of those works when I was just starting. For some reason I all of the sudden became very inspired to make artworks. I was told my style is somewhat unique.

sample:

Elsien
10-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I really enjoy art, trying to figure out the different possible meanings of why certain forms of art are the way they are. My favorite kind of art is abstract, anything that makes you look at something in a different way than what one would normally look at said something. The form of art I do, I feel is very unique and I have a hard time finding a lot of art similar to mine, then again I do not know if there is a specific name for the art, therefore making my searches null and weak >.< My art literally starts out with a random line on a blank sheet, I use pencil and in my most recent piece, some colored pencil. I will then take the line and make something abstract with it, something that can be looked at in a way that someone would say, "Hey that looks like the outline of a gorilla," etc. Then I build off of a part of that object that I felt looked like it could be turned into something else. So it is a giant collage of random lines turned into something that shapes something else from a different perspective on the paper. There is no up, down left or right to my drawings, only the way YOU look at it and what YOU depict. Sometimes people see things in my drawing that even I did not.

I will try to find a camera so I can take a picture of one of my pieces of art and post.

Firebrand
10-21-2008, 09:58 PM

I've drawn since I saw "Night on Bald Mountain" from Fantasia at 9 and the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon when I was 7. So basically, my whole life. When I was in high school my math teacher told me I should take art so I could do my math homework since I basically drew the entire class, every class! Now I do some airbrushing now and then which is truly enjoyable once you get a handle on controlling the flow of the paint. I'm pm you a link for my art.

Firebrand9 added to this post, 7 minutes and 42 seconds later...

Nice! I think so. I like it. What language was this written in? Is the rasterizer software (home-grown) or hardware (OpenGL/Direct3D)?

Firebrand9 added to this post, 1 minutes and 14 seconds later...

BTW - I see the Chernabog influence in your icon.

Pyrochan
10-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm currently at university studying illustration.

I love practical and personal research but I hate theory lectures, because the lecturer makes his point in the first 10 minutes and then spends the rest of the 3 hour lecture explaining it after I've picked it up the first time.

Illustration is much more open to me than any other field because it is connected to Graphic Design and there are a lot of tricks to makeing a good piece of illustration such as composition etc that quite a number of artistic people actuall miss. I'm surprised at the number of people in my class who can only copy illustration styles that exist instead of drawing on them for their own personal way of working. Or people who are so stuck in one medium they are not willing to experiment. I will work with anything you give me, paint, chalks, inks, digital. I can adapt very well which I guess is the INTJ in me XD

I'm also very good at colour mixing but I guess that's all logic so very easy for me to 'break down' a colour I can see and remix it with basic paint colours. I find it very strange that the majority of art students cannot do this as colour is a very defining part of working in art and design but so many people have to buy the paint in the tube instead of mix it... strange people. XD

bethanygm
10-26-2008, 07:56 PM
I was a singer. I guess I still am. It was my primary career goal until I decided it wasn't ,anymore. ;)
I became very good by utilizing my INTJ skills.. I analyzed the songs and I could hear the patterns and hmm I don't know... I just know that I taught myself how to sing (R&B- anything..) and I was able to do it really well. I beat out 3000 girls for a girl group and I couldn't handle the people in L.A. or the culture associated with all of it, so now I am in school again for a science degree.

bethanygm added to this post, 6 minutes and 0 seconds later...

I understand completely; me too. I don't really express anything by drawing; I do it as a more or less mechanical act of duplication, from what I see to what I've drawn.

I also get a "quiet focus" doing intellectual things, but it's not as complete. Science shows that performing spacial thinking (epitomized by drawing) more or less quiets the left brain chatter.

I recently discovered listening to certain music shuts my brain up, too. That is, most likely, what led me to it.
Singing is actually a mechanical thing for me.. This makes me a really bad performer. Everyone can see it on my face when I am not happy with how something sounds.. When it isn't perfect. (Except when I had to perform for real in the girl group- then I faked it!)
I recently had a diva-experience in a local band. I was used to being with other girls who could actually sing... and in this local band I was with this girl who sounded like a dying cat. I'm not in the band, anymore. It was my husband who accused me of being a diva... but... how was I supposed to put up with that?? I'm not "stuck-up" about it. It is like anything else. If I feel someone is incompetent and I have to work with them, I feel very very frustrated. That said, when I really suck at something, I either stay away from it, or work on it on my own until I can do it right and well. so... I am not being hypocritical about it.

Maja
01-23-2009, 09:17 PM
I take out my art more often than on myself, now, like as in what I wear, how I do my hair, etc.... It's really satisfying for me since most of it is proportioning, but it's less generally accepted as art.

It's design, and design, while it may or may not involve drawing, is an art.

lambpox
01-23-2009, 10:14 PM
I've always wanted to be an artist professionally, and then the reality of it all settled in and I lost my passion for it. People say I'm gifted at art, that I'm skilled; but if I become depressed when I do it and find no love for it no more, what's the point? I realize valuable time was wasted, but alas, destiny is a fickle bitch. :( Sometimes I don't understand; I loved it and was so obsessed with it and then one day I awoke from bed and my entire perspective on it changed completely. I think it was because I was never content with my work, and due to my INTJness, nothing was ever "perfect" enough. I toyed with a particular piece of artwork for what seemed like years, and I never had a piece that was considered "finished".

So that's why I'm going to major in Political Science/International Relations. Oh lordy.

Littlelambofgod
02-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Doing art, professionally, has many disadvantages. For one, I hate creating something that has to live up to someone else's standards.

Then you should understand the rambuctious nature of our most historically noted artists.

I'm a bricolage artist with some professional education. For those of you unfamiliar with the term (as there are a rediculous number of intellectual fields in contemporary art), it means I assemble objects I find readily around me. Scavenging and reconfiguring. It's a form of assemblage/collage. While I consider myself a professional artist, I am as yet unrecognized (no real advertisement of myself yet.)

And as a matter of personal philosophy, I believe everyone could be creative if the proper manner of impression is used. People just get stuck on ideas about what they "should" be doing as an artist and fail to meet standards they set for themselves. But part of the creative process is finding out what you are good at. I am mediocre in the 2D field, and (in my opinion), greatly proficient in 3D fine arts. However, like most, I began in 2D with drawing and the like. And I continued to experiment to find out where I really stand out. And I focus on textures and shape while maintaining a simplified color scale. I use my strengths and subdue my weaknesses. That's all an artist's creativity really is; the energy to put yourself completely into a project and know and utilize yourself to maximize your potential.

What a perfectly stereotypical INTJ definition for creativity.

BlackOp
02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I make stuff......

Santana28
02-12-2009, 02:48 PM
wow...

wittykitty
02-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I've always wanted to be an artist professionally, and then the reality of it all settled in and I lost my passion for it. People say I'm gifted at art, that I'm skilled; but if I become depressed when I do it and find no love for it no more, what's the point? I realize valuable time was wasted, but alas, destiny is a fickle bitch. :( Sometimes I don't understand; I loved it and was so obsessed with it and then one day I awoke from bed and my entire perspective on it changed completely. I think it was because I was never content with my work, and due to my INTJness, nothing was ever "perfect" enough. I toyed with a particular piece of artwork for what seemed like years, and I never had a piece that was considered "finished".

So that's why I'm going to major in Political Science/International Relations. Oh lordy.

You sound like my twin. I've settled for art and design as a hobby and switched to a major in History and Political Science/ International Studies as well.

naberus
02-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Art is one of the very few things I have a passion for, in fact the week after next I'll be starting my first year at a visual arts college and will be working towards a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.
I typically like to draw/doodle and create digital paintings in photoshop, but I also occasionally work with traditional mediums such as watercolours and just recently copic markers.
This contains a lot of my more finished pieces:

BlackMita
02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Although I draw a lot, calling myself an artist (in the NF sense of the word) is just wrong. The only certain thing is that I'm an extremely versatile draftsman, but it doesn't follow that I have a passion for any particular medium or style.

I like the invention, ideation, and problem solving aspects of what you'd call illustration. But on the other hand, I also like doodling cartoons. The former interests me as a line of work, the latter is strictly masterbatory catharsis. The point is I prevent overlap on purpose, so I'm at a loss when asked what I'm passionate about. I don't make art for the same reason an artist would.

I also study art, but no more uniquely than I study anything else.

Typically: I'm most familiar with pencil, ink, watercolor and Photoshop. The subject and purpose varies. I don't showcase my art often - only deadlines motivate me to bring something worth framing/sharing to completion (so no deviantart or anything), and my doodles are basically id dumps I'd be stupid not to keep private. I'm not as insane as Crumb.

pocohauntus
05-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Me too, but maybe you and others here can help. I'm thinking of trying my hand at drawing again but can't decide where to begin. Looking around my neighborhood, I've seen a few interesting possibilities but I have to start with one. Here are some of my ideas - which of these do you think would work the best as a first attempt:
1. chickens and roosters
2. primrose flowers and cypress tree
3. holly bushes
4. house painting brushes
5. dumpster
Thanks in advance.

Delphi
08-15-2009, 03:10 AM
I am an artist. I received my education at Kendall CAD in GR MI.

I do graphic design, commissions, and web design. However, I am trying to push all that aside and focus on my passion and genre.

I do meticulous watercolor, most people can not tell it is watercolor. My subjects are mythology and nature with a focus on insular celtic mythology and arts from the bell beakers to the celts culturally.

Currently I am studying old world techniques and pigments for egg tempra and have found a maker of authentic parchment. I intend to create illuminations of images and texts that reflect/record the pre christian spiritual beliefs.

I especially am soothed by creating knotwork patterns and triskellion. They give me a place to put my geometry to work and acts as therapy. :P

BlizzarD
08-15-2009, 04:06 AM
i enjoy working with photoshop software (web designing, userbars ,signatures creating)
probably thats the only thing in my life that i enjoy

here is some works i made if you are interested :)

Hamsta
08-15-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm an illustration major at Columbus College of Art and Design.
Hoping for a career in concept art in the game development industry, but we shall see how the wind blows once I'm nearer to graduation.

As such, I have a pretty clear idea of where my strengths should lie (namely sci-fi/fantasy in digita.l)
I'd say I'm half way there.

t3hrubikscube
08-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I used to be an avid writer, but I stopped writing sometime in my sophomore year in high school. I don't really know why...but I suspect it's because I became too critical of my writing to want to continue.

I've been a bit of a musician for about seven years now.

I've always been interested in film, but I could never see myself doing anything more than studying it.

To be honest, I have absolutely NO interest in visual art. Sometimes I like going to art museums, but I absolutely have to be in the right mood to appreciate visual art.

Alext
12-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi fellow intj artists! I added some of you on deviantart..

I'm working hard to become a freelance illustrator during 2010. I'm interested in fantasy and cyberpunk genres. I use Photoshop and Painter. Though I sketch and draw traditionally everyday to study anatomy mainly.

I have entered this game quite late, almost 29 now! I used to make Music for various independent labels in my early 20s, and DJ in clubs... then I got tinnitus and had to give it all up at 25. Now I am rediscovering my love of drawing, it was the only subject I passed when I finished school - and I think it's the only career that will make me happy!

Really nice to see all your work :)

Edit : forgot to link my site! To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waffle
12-31-2009, 03:10 PM
I play cello and piano and I compose music ("Classical").

My biggest "weakness" as a composer is that, although I'm capable of writing complex music that sounds good, I prefer simple music. It's a "weakness" because whenever someone that I know listens to one of my pieces, they often say at some point, "I was expecting it to be a lot more complex." >.< I hate it when that happens... I'm just thinking, "Shut up and listen to the music already..."

EricJ
12-31-2009, 05:17 PM
I have an "art journal" that I update sometimes. It's sort of collage-y, and I enjoy this medium because I can put anything I want in the journal, expressing any idea I want to express with whatever materials I feel like expressing those ideas with. Sometimes, I do things in the journal for the mere satisfaction of creating something that I think looks cool.

I have to be in the "mood" to create. I can't just sit down and do it. Often, I will start drawing or something and get bored with it, with the tedium of details. This is my Achilles' hill with regard to artistic endeavours.

I would like to learn how to make pottery.

Aside from that, I have been playing trumpet for six or seven years. I am rather tired of the sound of it. I wish I had chosen clarinet instead of trumpet. I am also teaching myself guitar. I really want to learn how to a traditional Chinese instrument, especially the guzheng or possibly a Chinese lute. Other instruments that spark my interest include cello, piano, and accordion. I will probably take up one of these whenever I go to college in August.

eyeonyou
12-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I teach group and private art lessons in a local gallery and I run a small tattoo parlor. I take a few contract jobs for murals, portraits, stained glass repair, water feature designs and construction, landscape design, and so on. When i was in college I worked for a graphic design firm. I graduated and went to work for a developer as a land-use engineer. (I'm also a licensed surveyor) There are very few artistic mediums that I have not explored.

If I could choose one expression of art to be successful at and to work in exclusively, it would be designing and building water features. It's art that moves, flows and grows, and It allows me to be in an environment that I love. (out of doors)

I would like to learn more about sculpting, particularly working with marble and metals. I wish I had time to take classes in either or both.

There was a period in my life when I resented my talent and anyone who suggested that I "do something with it". I was behaving like a child I suppose. I still feel that being a professional artist, (livelihood) having dead-lines and the expectations of others to deal with, takes something away from me on the creative side.

madep
01-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Hello. Just joined. Wanted to comment on the artistic INTJ thread. I am a life-long singer/songwriter living and working in Nashville, TN. Although I am very creative and artistic, I tend to not feel "worthy" of artistic success because I have not devoted my entire life to it--too many other fascinating thing in the world. I love to write and record music, but the singing is problematic because that artistic side doesn't always win out when I need it to. I know it is possible because I have done it--but past successes are not to be rested upon. "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

dead
01-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Well, I'm very good at drawing, and I'm also into photography. I don't consider myself to be very creative though, and I don't have that "drive" to create art like many artists do. I just happen to appreciate art, and I'm good at it when I do decide to do it. I'm just weird.

Anyways say hi to me on dA: toldoflove (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.)

I use my account a lot, but not to submit, so you'll have to take my word for it that I'm good at art. Everything I make is unfinished.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taylored
01-04-2010, 01:25 AM
I have several artistic outlets; sewing, crocheting, painting, sculpting, and music composition.
I like to think I am good at sculpting and music composition.

I have never really attempted to make money via my art. I have sold a few paintings and a few sculptures, but generally speaking I work on it for myself. I have way too many sculptures and paintings in my home, and I almost exclusively listen to my own compositions instead of other musicians. It is not out of vanity, I just enjoy my own work.

This is my first sculpture: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

gwendolyn
01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I took up web design and graphic design as a hobby (I am trained as a computer programmer) and now work as a web programmer and graphic designer. I used to oil paint and draw before shifting to the digital arts, but now I love digital art so much its impossible for me to go back....

LoquaciousNinja
01-10-2010, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't call myself an artist, frankly. I doodle. It's fun. Improvement is something I constantly work towards, but I'm nowhere near artist caliber and never will be. Drawing is a fun outlet, and the challenge is enjoyable. That's about it.

graktensai
01-12-2010, 07:26 AM
i LOVE manga. I can draw for hours and hours not moving my butt off the chair. I'm so crazy passionate when it comes to drawing.

Lucky
01-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Until the age of about 25 I used to draw horses. I became rather good at it but have hardly been doing any drawing the 15 years since.
And I have an eye for making nice photographs.

Seducer
01-13-2010, 07:46 AM
I make money by using my art skills combined with my genius INTJ strategic, analytical, and technical abilities and my general intelligence. Thousands of people have paid for my art.

Mariposa
01-13-2010, 01:26 PM
I have discovered a love of photography. You can't really change what the world give you to take a photograph of (without computer help of course), but you can pick the angle, etc. to try to capture the feeling that you want others to experience when they see it.

I think since I have started this new hobby it has made me even more aware of the little nuances in the world around me.

ikeaunes
01-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I consider myself an artist and a burgeoning scientists. In fact, I sang and wrote so much my freshman/sophomore year that most thought I was a music major LOL. I find that I am the best at music. My monotonic logical disposition gives way to a heartfelt performer with good dynamic (although I can be a bit stage shy).

I also have a great appreciation for surrealist art and anything where I can "feel" the message or moral. I would say this developed early on in my life. In fact, with some questions "Are you more artistic or more logical"...I can never answer.

Hope this helps.

Lumbering Jack
01-18-2010, 09:57 AM
First off, my artistic expressions are almost entirely born from my love of creating things. By far, my biggest love of life if making something new.

... Thinking about it and molding it. ... Picking colors ... Creating its story. All of that just charges me up moreso than anything that comes to mind.

My love of creating has allowed me to be a pretty good artist, in particularly cartooning. I've also grown to love painting, writing and sculpting.

All through high school, I planned on going to art college, but ~dang~ art school costs a shitload of money, so I went with journalism. That actually worked out pretty well since I've had quite a lot of art published as an illustration for an article.

While I don't even compare to some of the folks who posted here earlier, here's my deviant art page: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

funpig
05-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Just joined myself and was surprised to find something that so accurately described so many of my personality traits. I am an artist. Painter and Professor of Painting. I use the act of building an image as a filter to help construct sense out of an existence that makes no sense. Its really a futile pursuit but I couldn't think of anything more satisfying to do in life while I wait for the inevitable.

I also have really been getting into building images in photography with camera phones and I love tearing apart and rebuilding old vw's. It all seems like the same mental process for me applied to different things.

Leg
05-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm a bass in a choir but that's only an hobby.

Jarem Asyder
05-26-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm a practicing video and performance artist, I used to do sculptures but I haven't had the space or materials.

I intend on making a career out of it.

rturius
05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Art and design is my life! I love all fields of art, and wouldn't be able to see myself living without having a career in it!

Niaurus
07-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I play guitar and drums, pretty much enjoy creating music. Same goes for any sort of video-making. As artistic as it gets. I also like photography. And drawing, but I'm not that good at it. Some people consider me very creative. I won't argue. Does that make me not INTJ?

Darren
07-07-2010, 02:06 AM
I did web design for a while but got bored with it. I've always been intrigued by art, but as I get older, I find myself more appreciative of other peoples talents then doing it myself. I'm really intrigued by dark art and comic book art.

Commissar
07-07-2010, 05:45 AM
I've been obsessed with drawing since I was very young. I'm hoping to go to a 4-year to major in digital art, specifically in video game art.

alexdc
07-07-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm a musician. I (used to) play electric guitar, acoustic guitar, classical guitar, piano, violin, most percussion instruments, and I sing. I was persuing a career in thd music field as a studio musician/teacher. However, overpractice led to hand injuries, and I can't really play anymore.

As far as the arts and INTJs go, I have found from observation and personal experience that we tend to develop according to the exponetially model. It takes a LONG time to grasp the basics and develop the sensate abilities necessary to the art, but once past this stage, the INTJ is rivaled in skill only by the XSTP, though he/she tends to be a great deal more innovative in the art.

Kricket
07-08-2010, 12:53 PM
I would consider myself artistic, if not officially an artist. When I was a child I was always drawing, I took private lessons, I got the 'most artistic' award in high school (!?) and for a while considered majoring in fine art or graphic design. Eventually I decided information systems was a more practical degree. Music-wise I played flute for a few years and became a decent musician, but it was never something I would have pursued beyond the hobby phase.

Nowadays I don't sit in lecture for hours, so I do less sketching. About once a year I get the bug and go at a sketchbook for four hours. I like illustration/the idea of telling a story/character drawing. I'm terrible, terrible at backgrounds, straight lines, and anything that can't be... manipulated in a somewhat organic way, if that makes sense.

Here's a link to a few of my most recent sketches (<5 years): To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And here's my current favorite from that album. It was an apology picture, given to my Chinese professor when I didn't do some homework on time.

HereticForLife
07-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Ive written short stories since I was 11 or 12. I started with simple fanfictions by then, started working on a few (never truly finished any) and then branched off into my own independent work a few years later. I made an attempt at a novel awhile back, but that fell through the roof, partially because the story concept was too ambitious for any fledgling writer, let alone an amateur writer of my caliber, to complete. The process of it thrills me, and Im hoping I can use the stories Ive completed for something, perhaps scholarships or an extra source of revenue.

I used to enjoy drawing, until I discovered how truly awful I am at it. Ive been reluctant to try painting of any sort, or any of the other fine arts for that matter. Ive never been exposed to music enough to gain any interest in it.

Booko
07-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Our entire family, mostly INTJs, are involved in performing arts.

The daughter especially will do anything on a stage...dance, theatre, music. She seems to be born to that sort of thing, and it was quite noticeable even at 3 yrs of age. (Before anyone makes a stupid stereotypical comment about "doing it for the attention" -- don't bother. It's just who she is and she will do the same whether anyone's watching or not.)

She's branched out into more of the fine arts of late and has been doing jewelry making (or the silversmithing sort and not the just stringing beads variety. She's also been working a great deal on drawing of late.

I don't do fine arts, unless you consider garden design a fine art. It does involve the same sorts of design principles as fine arts (color, form, texture, etc.) but it also has the scientific side (soil chemistry, horticulture, etc.) that makes it particularly satisfying for me.

Most of us do music composition in some form or other. Our son glommed onto our old music theory books a few years back and with occasional coaching from us (dh and I both have music degrees, among other things), he's now running off on his own. I can't say I'm surprised -- music theory is a very mathematical sort of activity.

BuShinJu
07-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Studying Fine Arts

Here is my blog showing some work in progress and sketchbook pages.

Espiral00
07-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm studying photography.
I also love to write, draw and paint.

There's my flickr page:

Elena
07-09-2010, 12:02 PM
-Taxidermy
-drawing
- card making
-painting
- dressage
-music

Chshrkat09
07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I work with digital programs, usually photoshop, painter, Illustrator, flash. The usual painting, drawing, and jewelry making. I am going back to school for videogame design, so I use 3d Studio max. I live and breath art. I like various styles, and I'm a middle school art teacher.

paintyourwagon
10-26-2010, 07:22 AM
I took up painting with acrylics just about 1 year ago via a class. It is a very hard skill to learn, but I am starting to produce paintings that I like and am actually proud to hang on the wall. Fortunately my art teacher is very open-minded and encouraging. He's helpful and gives useful feedback, but is not controlling or demanding with respect to subject, technique, etc. It's the perfect class format for an INTJ like me. That being said, I have 2 toddlers at home with a busy work schedule and no studio space available in my house. I only get to paint 3 hours per week at my class, and that is frustrating. I could easily paint as a full-time job and wonder where all the time went. If I could be a professional artist, I would, but with a "normal" job providing a six-figure income, I can hardly imagine taking my family down the road of poverty! It'll just have to stay a hobby...for now.

BellaBianca
10-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Comic books.

I got lost in Academia and need to get back on track.

Cuddlefish
10-26-2010, 07:57 AM

Yes, art is a hobby for me. I don't think I could do it for money though as it is very sentimental for me. I prefer people and the human form as subject matter. My media ranges from tradition (paint and graphite) to digital (photoshop). My strength is color and my weakness is proportion.

miche001
10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
What ever the medium, I admire anyone who can get the thoughts out of their head and express it into form.