PDA

View Full Version : When could you kill another human?

notoppings
05-31-2008, 02:45 AM
Where do you throw away your morales and kill?

Would it be for revenge? or to avenge? or self defense? Maybe to protect a loved one?

Imagine you are a parent who comes home and find a killer plunging a knife into your child would you call 911? or would this be enough of an action to cause you to kill?

Maybe you are captured by a deranged person and thrown into a pit with another captive, the killer throws in a knife a tells you only one will come out the survivor the other captive goes for the knife would you defend yourself? would you kill the other person? or refuse to fight or kill allowing both of you to die?

Maybe you are a soldier, do you kill for your country?

You decide what do you think it would take for you to kill another human.

Malotis
05-31-2008, 03:12 AM
Given extreme, extenuating circumstances, I'm sure I could kill in the name of revenge, self defense, or to protect a loved one.

Speculating myself as a parent, I'd imagine if I saw my child being stabbed I'd do everything I could to stop the attacker, and if I happen to kill the attacker in the process then I'd imagine I wouldn't lose much sleep at night.

If I was thrown in a pit I'd imagine my primal instinct to survive would kick in, and I'd do whatever it takes to stay alive out of nothing but carnal fear.

I would not kill for my country. If there was some invading force then I'd be more obliged to move somewhere else than to help defend.

Other than extreme, unrealistic circumstances, killing simply takes too much initiative to seriously consider.

Elfrun
05-31-2008, 03:26 AM
Good thread, I'm keen to see other peoples thoughts particually from soldiers. This is a question that I really don't know my full answer to and as such I keep coming back and re-analysing my morales.

I believe I have the right to use equil force and aggression against any one trying to hurt me, my loved ones or those unable to defend themselves.

I do not believe I have the right to attack another person unless I have an immediate fear of being harmed and no way out of the situation.

My natural and strong instincts are for self preservation.

Simple so far right? Well the reason I say I don't know is because I'm a reservest in the Australian Army, I had these questions when I joined over ten years ago and I still don't know how I would feel in a combat position.

I'm almost positive my training and self preservation would kick in but I don't know how I would justify the human aspect after the fact. Another thing I keep coming back to is what would I do if I disagreed with the politics behind the military action in the first place.

I don't doubt my loyalty to the Army or my county in any way and have willingly said I would fight to protect them (those of you who object to that statement please know I have no interest discussing it, it's my belief however irrational others may find it). I don't know how I would feel if I took a life and I don't know what would be harder for me to accept, feeling broken after taking a life or feeling nothing at all.

Homini Lupus
05-31-2008, 04:36 AM
I'd kill to protect my country or othe EU countries. I think killing has sense in order to avoid more deaths or in self defense. Another possibility is when your law system doesn't work and you know that, if you don't take extreme measures, you will soon have a criminal chasing for you or going on with his activities.

Vivid
05-31-2008, 04:51 AM

Would it be for revenge? or to avenge? or self defense? Maybe to protect a loved one?

Imagine you are a parent who comes home and find a killer plunging a knife into your child would you call 911? or would this be enough of an action to cause you to kill?

Maybe you are captured by a deranged person and thrown into a pit with another captive, the killer throws in a knife a tells you only one will come out the survivor the other captive goes for the knife would you defend yourself? would you kill the other person? or refuse to fight or kill allowing both of you to die?

I would not consider it throwing away morals to kill in self-defense.
I would not be obligated to kill the person unless that was completely necessary.
I would go for the knife and probably kill the person if I had to.
As for being a soldier, it depends on the war.

Antares
05-31-2008, 08:25 AM
I'd kill in self-defense. If it were me or them, I choose me. I would never kill for revenge. It's simply not rational. It also depends if the person is a direct threat to the said loved one. If it's an indirect or unintentional threat, then I won't. If the person is actively trying to kill my loved one (kill only. If trying to harm, I won't kill), then if it's between my loved one or the potential murderer, the choice is obvious. I'd stop the person if he or she was trying to kill my child, and if I kill them in the process, so be it. I won't die for my country. My country is not worth my sacrifice, nor is any country. I would kill the other captive if it were me or them.

phantasma
05-31-2008, 08:56 AM

Killing is the absolute very last resort.

In defending myself or others, I'd prefer to disable them, just knock them out, and take them to the authorities if that's at all possible. If it were me and a gun against a killer, I'd aim away from all the vital organs. I'd draw the line at revenging and avenging though. The death of the killer won't redeem me or anyone else.

In a more animalistic situation like the pit, my life over theirs, but I'd want to disarm before I have to kill. As for the soldier scenario, I don't think I'd ever face that situation being a girl, but I'd just keep the killing to a minimum, just kill those that try to kill me, take a defensive approach, and strictly obey orders, not killing more than I need to. I'd also refuse if I were to find my superior's orders unethical (so far as war goes), no matter what the consequence.

Motor Jax
05-31-2008, 10:06 AM
if someone had put me or my family in jeopardy of life or limb, they will go down

i'll make sure of that

as for war, i would hold my position and only use as much force as necessary to subdue the enemy

you know, getting my rifle and pistol quals, they tell us that there is no such thing as warning shots; if the enemy still has a weapon in their hand to use as much force to render them

also, in the little bit of jujitsu i've studied, it is possible to disarm someone without harm. but if they continue to persist, they will get their back or neck broke

how i would feel about it? i'd worry about that afterwards

but i would use anger to give myself that little bit of edge for survival

oh, these emotional threads have really got me going, especially since i am reading Emotional Intelligence Why it can matter more than IQ by Daniel Goleman

sriv
05-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Only out of the defense of something.

Maybe that's why the US department of War was renamed the Department of Defense. Euphemisms are annoying.

ssfanatic
05-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Yes.
I know it sounds slightly evil, but my friend and I have taken the time to plan out the "perfect murder." You could always just kill a homeless guy, but where is the sport in that? We did this out of extreme boredom. And im sure its different when you are about to pull the trigger.

curiousjane
05-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Self-defense (and I'd fight dirty, too. I think survival instincts would kick in.) But only when my life was at stake (or if I was the victim of violent assault/rape).

To defend loved ones.

I could never join the army. But if I did, I would have to be absolutely sure I could accept the consequences and mental anguish I would experience if I had to kill on order. Battle is one thing ... in the fray, so to speak, fighting for your life and to protect your team ... but to draw a weapon and kill, on order? I couldn't do that.

I do have a tremendous respect for the armed forces. But I couldn't willingly join any of them. I would have to be drafted into a war that hit U.S. soil and started to tear apart my country. I think perhaps my perspective would be a little different if I was, say, Israeli, where my country was constantly in danger.

Beery Swine
05-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Probably just self-defense or defense of someone else, or to otherwise extend my life expectancy, although we are all human and capable of doing anything any other human is capable of doing. You really don't know until some crazy situation comes up and you've got that sweet vision of revenge staring you in the face.

PRBori
05-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Good question. Only on self-defense from extreme physical abuse and if someone is hurting love ones.

I would prefer to use an electric gun to shut the person down than a regular gun. If I can disable the person rather than killing him that would certainly be my preference for I don't think I can stand in my mind someone dead.

Although, in reality if my kids or love ones where killed in the process I would prefer the person death... so in that situation I don't think it would bother me at all.

As for non-love ones, I think I would have the same reaction if children, families, and the elderly where abused.

Would I fight for my country? Hmm... it really depends on the reason behind the war. I personally prefer not to follow blindless orders like others do and would only kill for personal defense or if I knew the person would kill innocent people and there was no other way to stop the behavior.

hauteur
05-31-2008, 12:35 PM
if someone had put me or my family in jeopardy of life or limb, they will go down

i'll make sure of that

as for war, i would hold my position and only use as much force as necessary to subdue the enemy

you know, getting my rifle and pistol quals, they tell us that there is no such thing as warning shots; if the enemy still has a weapon in their hand to use as much force to render them

also, in the little bit of jujitsu i've studied, it is possible to disarm someone without harm. but if they continue to persist, they will get their back or neck broke

how i would feel about it? i'd worry about that afterwards

but i would use anger to give myself that little bit of edge for survival

What he said.

I would generally apply only as much force as is necessary, but I wouldn't purposely try not to apply too much force.

I have thought about Saving Private Ryan where that one pesky German soldier keeps popping up every time they let him go. That is kind of the embodiment of the military teaching that "as long as they can shoot back, they are still a threat."

xtremegeek
05-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Killing for self defense or to save a loved one from being killed...I think I could do that. Don't really know until/unless I find myself in that situation.

Killing for revenge seems like a stupid cop out to me. It's like saying, "I'm not intelligent enough and clever enough to outsmart my enemy, so I'll just kill 'em." That's a sign of a very weak mind. Or worse yet, "I'll bully someone else into doing the killing for me." This, to me, is the embodiment of the weakest of minds...bullying someone into killing your enemy for you. Weak...very, very weak.

Motor Jax
05-31-2008, 01:15 PM
i really looked at the title to this thread, and then i noticed how it was worded:

"When could you kill another human?"

well, by that kinda question, i guess anytime you want

of course, doesn't make it right though

poggletwip
05-31-2008, 01:41 PM
i'll make sure of that

Yeah just for putting you in danger? What is jeopardy of limb anyway? is it putting your leg in danger? They'd "go down" for that?
reckon it felt manly as you wrote it, but come on.

notoppings
05-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Good answers, ad I agree with most here I believe that I could kill in self defense or to protect those I love.

As for the Thunder Dome scenario Two men enter One man leaves, or they both die, I think I would defend myself but I don't think that I could start the fight.

As a former soldier I would kill without hesitation, The bonds that occur between the brotherhood of soldiers is strong and as strong or stronger then family ties, you need to feel it before you can understand it. Later after the killing I would probably need a lot of therapy, but until then I would be thinking You don't kill my Brother.

Jgib5328
05-31-2008, 10:06 PM
I'd kill if I needed to, any type of kill (in a lawless nation where I could get away with it). I'd also kill out of revenge, if someone raped or killed my mothers I'd torture them to death. I place very little value on the human life. But, I've never killed anyone or have been in a situation close, so I really don't know, but that's how I feel it would be.

azelismia
05-31-2008, 10:31 PM
I honestly don't know if I am capable of it. I'd have to be in that situation to know I think. I've surprised myself before.

Linza
05-31-2008, 10:46 PM
In a way, it's a value argument. Who's life is more valuable, the person I'm going to kill, or the person(s) they will kill if I don't kill them? Who will do more good?

In another way, it's a cost-benefit evaluation. What is to be gained by killing this person? What is to be lost? Do the benefits outweigh the detriments?

It's very subjective-- just like everything else in this messed up little world. :)

That said, I'm not sure I'd be able to kill in self-defense. I like to think that instincts will take over and leave me to sort out the moral acrobatics later, but I think perhaps I would decide in a moment that saving my life isn't worth taking someone else's. People are, in general, pretty worthless; but then, I'm a person too, and therefore I am, in general, pretty worthless.

Additionally, I like to believe that there will always be an alternative to killing. It's probably not true, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Glad other people think about this kind of thing.

Terian
05-31-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm going to be a geek and quote Star Trek on this one: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

I'd only kill another human being to save more. The example scenario here is of a man who worked with trains/ train tracks. His job was to make sure that the trains were placed on the right route. One day, he brings his son to work. His son is playing inside the large machinery that controls the way the tracks move when an unexpected train shows up and is on the wrong route- if it continues the way it's going, the train will fly off a cliff and all the passengers will die. If the man decides to put the train on it's proper course, the machinery will crush his son, so he's stuck with a very difficult decision: his son's life, or the lives of everyone on the train.
It's my opinion that the right choice to make would be to sacrifice his son's life to save the many.

In self defense- maybe, if I was unable to cripple my assailant first. Although I doubt I'd be thinking in terms of "my life or his".

For my country- maybe, but it depends on the cause. To defend people's rights? Only if death was the only answer.

vkut79
05-31-2008, 11:06 PM
I would kill in self-defense and to protect those I care about, but in the latter case I would also consider how much risk I would be putting my own life at, for I value my life more than that of any loved ones.

darkkodiak
06-01-2008, 12:52 AM
I will repeat what others already have said and that I will kill in self-defense and only as a last resort. If I was a combat soldier, I'd better be ready to take a life because last time I check, that's part of their job description. As for killing for my country, from the vets I've talked to that really doesn't matter once the bullets start flying because they fight for the guy next to them. After taking a life, I'm pretty sure I will need therapy to deal with the fact that I was responsible that someone will not see tomorrow.

Ivyman
06-01-2008, 07:21 AM

I could only kill another human being in exceptional circumstances.
I can only imagine I would kill in the mortal defence of myself or another human being.

Ivyman added to this post, 13 minutes and 12 seconds later...

for I value my life more than that of any loved ones.

Really, do you have children?

That is an alien concept to me, the agony of allowing a loved one to be killed and the empathy I would feel for his/her fear and suffering coupled with the guilt of inaction would destroy my mind and probably kill me anyway.

My life is transitionary, if I did not exist prior to my conception in any form and if I cease to exist in any form when I expire then I have, overall, lost nothing.

I have children, I fear nothing when they are concerned.

vaguely dissatisfied
06-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't be throwing my morals away by killing.

vkut79
06-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Really, do you have children?

No, and I'm not planning on ever having any (but I'm also only 18). That is a good point to bring up though.

That is an alien concept to me, the agony of allowing a loved one to be killed and the empathy I would feel for his/her fear and suffering coupled with the guilt of inaction would destroy my mind and probably kill me anyway.

I'm sure that I would get over losing a loved one (perhaps a parent) after some time. Losing my own life - well, that's the end of everything. Can't get over that, can't move on beyond that.

My life is transitionary, if I did not exist prior to my conception in any form and if I cease to exist in any form when I expire then I have, overall, lost nothing.

The same is true for your loves ones. Why would you value their lives more than your own?

I have children, I fear nothing when they are concerned.

That's your parental instinct for you. I have to say that I don't envy you in the least. Although I lack the experience to really justify my opinion.

Karamazov
06-02-2008, 12:39 AM
I honestly can't say for sure what I would do, unless I was in any one of those harrowing situations. I wouldn't join the military in the first place (so that solves that conundrum for me) and concerning parents/loved ones/children, those are probably (depending are your relationship with them) the only individuals that many INTJs will ever get so close to. To lose them and say you'd simply shrug it off (even If you value your own life more) seems hasty in judgment.

The whole 'sacrificing one for the many' narrative is subjective, in the sense that many wouldn't venture to volunteer their loved one to be sacrificed. It has also been manufactured to justify a Malthus conception of utilitarianism that helped employ impoverished children to work in factories. So it's a bit ill-contrived.

rwyatt365
06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I would have to say an unequivocal "it depends". I won't be so bold as to say, "I would never...", because I can't predict what circumstances might arise, or how I would necessarily react to them. I can say that I think that I might be a bit more cold-blooded than some that have posted here so far.

Would I kill to protect myself? I am pretty sure that I would. When faced with a "me or them" situation, I'm pretty sure that I'd pick me.

Would I kill out of revenge? Maybe. I'm reminded of an episode of 'Jerico' where the sister of one of the main characters was killed by a rather rabid government operative. When that operative was cornered by the Jerico forces, the character who's sister was killed comes up to the operative with a pistol. Before I could think I said, "Shoot him", after several seconds he did. Were that real-life, I'm pretty sure I would have done exactly the same thing...but quicker.

If I was in that pit and thrown a knife I would seek to find another way out - that other person has done me no harm. But were that person to attack me, I would fight to defend myself, killing if necessary.

Would I take up arms to defend my country? Yes, but not out of patriotism, but because I want to retain the cushy lifestyle (compared to much of the world) that I have grown accustomed to. Yes, I'm that selfish.

replicant
06-03-2008, 01:33 AM

I would probably do whatever I could to disable the attacker. If I had no other choices, I would kill in self defense. I would not kill to avenge or seek revenge.

To the question about being a parent, coming home and finding someone stabbing my child. I would do whatever I could to disable the person. If I intentionally kill then I am no better than the attacker.

In the case of the pit, I would defend myself if I were attacked.

I am not a soldier. I would feel like a tool. I would lose my independence. I would not enlist for my country. I would defend the people if there was a legitmate cause but really I don't think the military actions we wage are effective. Too many dying and results don't seem to be coming out of the war we are involved in now.

cRyPT
06-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I would kill for self-defense or possibly a loved one, but I don't have anyone right now I would kill/die for.

I would not defend my county. If we were invaded, the US would be at fault for failing to come to the aid of our pathetic armed forces. I would likely hide/run.

At any rate, the situation would have extremely dire, I doubt my own ability to kill...

Radamisto
06-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I would not hesitate to kill in self defence - whether that means defense of my own person, family or property. I would also kill to save my life. As for killing in the so called "defense of my own country": first of all I am a cosmopolite, secondly an anarchocapitalist, so the answer has to be no.

One more thing: all of the above are perfectly moral from the point of view of my ethics, so no need to "throw away my morals".

SeanS
06-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Hello, I'm new- this question struck me so hard that I felt compelled to register and throw my opinion/experience in.

I have seen combat - but not in the traditional sense. I have one particular hard time I can't seem to shake. I was in the 'war on drugs' and commonly, almost daily, boarded ships to do search and seizure. I was brought for my intimidation factor which happens to have quite an influence on the process (which I despised being used in that way).

To make a long story short, I had someone in my sights and actively squeezing off when I just couldn't follow through. It was PURE LUCK that things resolved themselves by the 'bad guy' 'giving up' ... we didn't find anything that day. My typical position on the team was to take a sniper role and be the watchdog and be present for questioning (more intimidation stupidness). After the fact, my target had no idea I was around - he just felt the overwhelming urge to not fight.

1) Was it my intuition ? Could I read him and not know it ?
2) it's haunting me more everyday because I realize that someone could have died if luck wasn't on my side that day. This was more than 10 years ago.
3) combat is not for me - I've also realized that I'm very good at it, it scares me excessively to even ponder that since I'll never accept it.
4) I'm so happy that I didn't have to kill, I don't care how bad someone 'appears' to be. I feel that I had very good understanding of the 'context' in which I was in that day.
5) I was never trusted again - and I can't blame anyone. If they only knew the deep inside truth I'm confident that I was most likely the most level headed trustworthy person they ever had.
6) I will never actively lead anyone into combat - I will be the lone wolf, the responsibility of someone possibly dying under my control is too much to shoulder. Knowing that I would surround myself with 'greatness' if forced to do so makes the situation even worse. I'd rather die as a lone wolf than living because someone else saved my ass.
7) I think I make my mental situation worse (#2) by constantly rehearsing 'what if' scenarios in about every place I walk in to. I can't speak to the family about it, they'd think I was crazy :p - they wouldn't understand that it's about being prepared for me. Even home is not 'off limits' for mental rehearsals.
8) I blame the service a lot - but for reasons I can't put my finger on which makes me think even more about it.
9) Talking to others with same/similar experiences is not as nearly comforting as I thought it would be. It's not the 'magic fix-all' maybe I need more time.

If it came down to a 'red dawn' scenario most likely I'd go lay low and hide deep (deep to an extreme). And at that point I still would not follow through on clean shots unless it came down to 'kill or be killed' - you would never find me in the frontlines. I prefer 'turning screws' indirectly through my position. To be clear, I would NOT be fighting for my country. At that point there is no coutry if it went that far. That is why I would not be on the offensive.

I have no fear of guns - just the guy at the other end. I own quite a few and my family is also quite familiar and capable to use them should the need arise. I am prepared mentally for the fact that I may not hesitate the next time if someone were to enter my house. I know 'the experts' teach go for the kill - but I would most likely go for a hip or knee shot and re-evaluate. I want the other guy alive to face his destiny and possibly get a 2nd chance at life. Knowing tactics to the depth that I know (and have rehearsed many times) the other person will have no idea what he's walked in to. Once disabled (to a degree) the situation is well under control - I've experienced it multiple times indirectly.

The most disturbing thing to me is that I'm not sure I give greater 'weight' to a loved one or the bad guy. My propensity to follow through (in the moment) is not influenced by the action if I don't completely understand the circumstance. I think everyone in their lowest moment deserves to be heard. I can't let things like that be known in my family since they wouldn't understand anyways. In fact, I think I lack any kind of parental/spouse instinct that would override anything above. I could never be in a position of power since I'd be hung up to dry for sticking to it. I commonly can't expose the truth since most people can't handle it - they'd rather hear the warm fuzzy stuff.

I've left a lot of details out, my goal in posting was to get shed light on the question at hand by presenting my own personal experience. If anything needs to be clarified, let me know. I'm making the assumption that like minded INTJ's may be able to recognize and understand a bit - thats actually very comforting to me if that makes any sense. I suspect it might.

here are my thoughts on some previous snippets:

the guilt of inaction would destroy my mind and probably kill me anyway

currently this is my problem

Battle is one thing ... in the fray, so to speak, fighting for your life and to protect your team ... but to draw a weapon and kill, on order? I couldn't do that.

to me, this is one in the same - I agree and felt the same 'in the heat of the moment'. under no circumstance would I follow through, in fact I would most likely get shot myself for drawing on the requestor (if push got to shove) and I would be happier with that result

The bonds that occur between the brotherhood of soldiers is strong and as strong or stronger then family ties, you need to feel it before you can understand it. Later after the killing I would probably need a lot of therapy, but until then I would be thinking You don't kill my Brother

I can't say this was my experience because I couldn't trust anyone - but I do feel exceeding compelled to protect them anyways.

I like to believe that there will always be an alternative to killing.
I hold this close to my heart - I believe 110% in this

I place very little value on the human life
I believed the same until I was placed in some bad 3rd world conditions and my life completely flip-flopped. I was in Panama once and remember paying kids 5$ a mag for burning off rounds in their ak's - they're were probably set for the next year at the end of that day. The gun was only 30USD$ if I remember right but there was no way I could have sneaked it on the ship. :cry: j/k ..... kinda

what was really cool is that I had a big traditional dinner w/the family to celebrate the new cash flow and they didn't care who I was and I really didn't care who they were. At that point in my life I didn't care about the future or what happened good or bad. Something in that experience made my mental picture of the world do a 180* - No matter how bad I think I may have it, there is ALWAYS someone worse off and it's more common than I may think.

for some reason I'd suffer through it all again - but wouldn't wish it on anyone else. most of my internal struggles all revolve around suffering.

sriv
06-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I have no fear of guns - just the guy at the other end.

You do not fear their potential?

zief
06-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Well to be honest i am unsure of my killing ability.
I think i could kill if it was to protect myself, close friends, or if it would protect a lot of people.

JasonM
06-05-2008, 05:46 AM
If the opportunity was clear, I might kill someone like Jeffrey Dahmer. However, I can't say that I would, because the possibility of him being sexually abused everyday in prison would probably be satisfying enough. Also, I wouldn't want to go to jail because of it.

If someone raped and tortured me or a family member, I'd definitely consider it.

I could get angry enough that I don't doubt my ability to kill someone, but only if the circumstances are right.

On the other hand, there'd be the issue of feeling guilt over what I've done when the anger has cooled off. Realistically, I think I'd realize this and back out. Definitely in self-defence when there are no other options, though - I'd probably still feel bad in this scenario, but I'd realize that there's not much else that I could have done.

SeanS
06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
You do not fear their potential?

potential is nothing to fear - its just a tool to me. I believe it should be reserved for the most extreme of cases.

I would rather use a gun for a quick clean kill of an elk then to take something like a slingshot and try to bludgeon it to death. The act of making that animal suffer any longer than it needs to is very wrong. This is a good example of how its potential is an asset.

for me, pointing a gun at an animal is almost as hard as a person. i'd rather walk away with nothing than be unsure of the reason I'm taking its life. I don't need to hunt to live in this age, but I think it's a good skill to have in the 'toolbox'.

Danisty
06-05-2008, 10:54 AM
The idea of killing doesn't really bother me that much. I have no doubt I could do it if I needed to.

muguly
06-05-2008, 10:58 AM

I would for revenge, to avenge, to protect, and survive. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Latte
06-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm not restrained by morals. However, I'm abnormally emotionally stable and would probably not kill anyone over feelings. I'm also highly logical, so I'd think about possible consequences. I'm also empathic, so I'd think about consequences for others too. And finally, I can't see much incentive to kill, really, as I don't have any objectives I care deeply about.

I'd probably kill someone if I thought that it would turn out best for people in the long run. This may include assassination x). And... if someone was attacking someone else, I'd maybe kill that one person in order to protect the others(s), or protect myself at the expense of the attackers life.

Regarding the act itself though, I doubt had problems with doing or living with afterwards.

Nightelf
06-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I would kill in self-defense (or to defend others' life) or in order to defend my country (and the EU). I reject killing for revenge, as it can't reverse harm done.
And I don't think with acts like these I would violate my morals, I would violate them if I sat still.

quest ion
06-08-2008, 08:29 AM
I'd kill to take revenge and for self- defence.
I wouldn't question reason at all. As long as somebody is trying to take away a life, he deserves to die.
That's why the death sentence is a slippery concept and I don't want to think about it cos it'll be a dilemma forever.

tp6626
06-08-2008, 08:59 AM
I would only kill idiotic people in a kind of 'population culling' project of some sort. My plans have been thwarted at every hurdle, however. Damn red-tape!

jadefalcon
06-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I thought about this, and the one word that comes to my mind is: defense.

Under the most excruciating circumstances would I have to take the life of another person. Not out of revenge, hate or ignorance, but to stop someone on a rampage, someone who is hell bent on killing, either myself or others. A soldier kills because it is kill or be killed on the battlefield- there are stories of glorious battles but the truth is that most, if not all morals are off limits on the field of battle. I would kill to defend my country. If I am robbed, say at home and my life is in danger, I will kill to defend. If someone has a gun and I am in a position to prevent something, it is prevention first, and always.

"Thou shall not kill"

applies to killing out of spite, revenge, hatred, and unnecessary emotion. The statement also applies to hating people with a passion for rascist or other intolerant reasons.

sam988
06-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I would kill and not feel any remorse if it were for self defense or revenge for something really bad that the person did to me. Of course i would only kill in the later case if i could find a way to get away with it... since justice doesn't recognize vengence as a fair reason to kill (bullshit, in my point of view).