PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Personallity Types

Darth Revan
04-01-2011, 12:24 PM
My first thread created and first time typing fictional characters so I'm not very experienced at this but these are the characters that I remembered offhand and their types which I believe they are. I put a "?" behind the names of the characters I was not certain on which type they were but at least put them in the category of the type I believe them to be. (E.g. ESFJ: Ginny?) All comments are welcomed to improve this list and your input on it. Hope you have as much fun reading and commenting on it as I did in creating it. The list is as follows:

ESTJ: Minerva, Percy, Walberga, Petunia
ESFJ: Molly, Draco, Ginny?
ESFP: Ron, Dudley, Nearly Headless Nick
ESTP: Mundungus, Vernon, Rita, Crabbe and Goyle, Lockhart
ISTJ: Hermoine, Lucius, Umbridge, Quirrel
ISFJ: Harry, Griphook, Narcissa?
ENFP: Arthur, Fred and George, Tonks, Dobby, Lily
ISTP: Kreature, Madam Hooch
ISFP: Bellatrix, Bloody Baron
ENTP: Mad-Eye Moody, Sirius, Fleur, Peeves, Nicholas?
ENTJ: Charlie, Oliver
ENFJ: Peter, Regulus, James
INTP: Voldemort, Luna, Sybil
INFP: Lupin, Hagrid, Neville, Luna’s father
INTJ: Snape
INFJ: Albus

Antares
04-01-2011, 12:46 PM
You get such a wild varieties of different types written by different people because they're just poorly written characters. Hermione has been typed as: INFJ, INTJ, ISFJ, ISTJ, and now, in our latest installment, ESTJ.

Darth Revan
04-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah sorry; I didn't really check if this was the first thread on this or not. Too many threads for me to go through and I am surprised that many people considered her an Introvert; she seems rather Extroverted to me because of her outspoken mind to liberating House Elves as well as always arguing with Ron which seems more extroverted as well. I guess that is just my opinion though.

DeathDrive
04-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Here's my set:

Harry - ISFJ
Hermione - ISTJ
Ron - ESFP
Voldemort - INTJ
Hagrid - ISFJ
Sirius Black - ENTP
Draco Malfoy - ESTP
Weasley Twins - ENTP
Dumbledore - INFJ
Snape - INTJ
Remus Lupin - INFP
Madam Hooch - ISTP

Darth Revan
04-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Here's my set:

Harry - ISFJ
Hermione - ISTJ
Ron - ESFP
Voldemort - INTJ
Hagrid - ISFJ
Sirius Black - ENTP
Draco Malfoy - ESTP
Weasley Twins - ENTP
Dumbledore - INFJ
Snape - INTJ
Remus Lupin - INFP
Madam Hooch - ISTP
Our lists are similar and thanks; I forgot about Madam Hooch.

Kisai
04-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Hermione is ISTJ because she is a tool.

Darth Revan
04-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Hermione is ISTJ because she is a tool.
True in the sense that out of the trio of her, Harry, and Ron yes (since the books reference them taking her advice and copying her notes) but I still think her core personality with the reasons I already provided with her idea to liberate House Elves and is more outspoken than Harry (why he is I) and is just as outspoken than Ron is why I think she is more Extroverted. I do feel she is like a "tool" and is why she is more of an "S" rather than "N" because she does not think abstractly and is bound by rules and conformity. TJ is agreed upon so I don't see a reason to explain my thinking on that. Again my very own opinion but if you can truly persuade me that she is an ISTJ rather than ESTJ; I would be interested. So I pose a question to you. What does her being Introverted and not Extroverted have to do with her being a tool?

SouloftheLaurel
04-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Mine:

Harry - ISTP
Hermione - ENFJ (I always found Hermione to be the intuitive one in the trio)
Ron - ESFP
Voldemort - INTJ
Hagrid - ISFJ
Sirius Black - ENTP
Draco Malfoy - ESTP
Weasley Twins - ENTP
Dumbledore - INFJ
Snape - INTJ
Remus Lupin - INFP
Madam Hooch - ISTP

Darth Revan
04-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I really appreciate everyone's input thus far (even the reasons why I may have Hermoine wrong) but can someone please tell me why so far you guys see Voldemort as an INTJ rather than an INTP as well as why the Weasly twins appear to be ENTP rather than ENFP?

True Rune
04-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Hermonie does have some NF tendencies about her, but even SJs can have those when they're forced out of the box. My sister is ISTJ and is also very progressive and has some NF bits about her.

INTPs are cynical and say there is no love or no hope, but people would probably not put Voldemort as INTP because he is the "Dark Lord"..INTPs are not "leaders"

Weasley twins as ENTP is because, well.. they don't act like F types.

PoeticEvil
04-01-2011, 11:24 PM
My first thread created and first time typing fictional characters so I'm not very experienced at this but these are the characters that I remembered offhand and their types which I believe they are. I put a "?" behind the names of the characters I was not certain on which type they were but at least put them in the category of the type I believe them to be. (E.g. INTP: Sybil?) All comments are welcomed to improve this list and your input on it. Hope you have as much fun reading and commenting on it as I did in creating it. The list is as follows:

ESTJ: Hermione?, Minerva, Percy, Walberga, Petunia
ESFJ: Molly, Draco, Ginny?
ESFP: Ron, Tonks, Dudley, Nearly Headless Nick
ISTJ: Lucius, Umbridge, Quirrel
ENFP: Arthur, Fred and George, Dobby, Lily
INTP: Voldemort, Luna, Sybil?

My Best friend (INTJ) and I spent a day figuring this out one day. I think the characters are more like this

ESTJ: Minerva, Percy, Walberga, Petunia, Umbridge
ESFJ: Molly, Draco,
ESFP: Ron, Dudley, Nearly Headless Nick,
ISTJ: Lucius, Quirrel
ENFP: Arthur, Fred and George, Lily, Tonks, Ginny
ENTJ: Charlie, Oliver, Voldemort
ENFJ: Dumblydore, Regulus, James
INTP:
INFP: Lupin, Hagrid, Neville, Luna, Sybil
INFJ: Hermione

(Some of these I didn't move because we concluded that we didn't have enough information to find their type, but maybe you did.)

---------- Post added 04-01-2011 at 07:40 PM ----------

Oh! Hermione is definitely an INFJ with her introverted-know it all-book wormy-ness, fighting for the rights of house elves, and at times very emotional responses.
Tonks is definitely an ENFP.
Luna and Sybil are both Kind, head in the clouds dreamer INFPs
Dumbledore is an extremely influential, charismatic, with care for all people and well connected ENFJ.
Voldemort is an organized, controlled, yet creative and charismatic and persuasive leader with values that are somewhat detached from the norm: ENTJ

Of these things I am sure. O.O

Antares
04-01-2011, 11:48 PM
To date I have never met a bossy INFJ. And Hermione is certainly bossy.

PoeticEvil
04-01-2011, 11:50 PM
My twin sister is an INFJ and insanely bossy, my roommate who is an INFJ and more of a people pleaser is still very bossy whenever he thinks he knows best. The more knowledgable the INFJ the more they believe they know the truth and they need to enlighten silly uninformed you.

Wallaby
04-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Harry: ISFP
Hermione: ISTJ. Maybe ESTJ but definite STJ.
Ron: ESFP
Draco: ESTP
Voldemort: INTJ
Lupin: INFP
James: ESTP
Lily: INFJ
Snape: INTJ
Dumbledore: INTJ
Ginny: ESFJ?
Weasley twins: ENTP
Molly: ESFJ
Sirius: ENFP
Dobby: ISFJ
Luna: INTP
Trelawney: INFJ

K27
04-02-2011, 02:14 AM
I have a hard time imagining Voldemort as INTJ when he demonstrated such a superb skills in leadership (albeit in a bad fashion) and hunger for power. I'll vote for ENTJ.
I would agree the twin being ENTP. So good at inventing.
Seconded that Harry is ISFP. Very typical.
Agree that Hermione is ISTJ. She only speaks out when needed, and probably she speaks too much in classes due to insecurity.
I sometimes think Lupin may be INFJ. But his understanding nature seems to be more closer to INFP. But his life twisted his personality a bit. I don't know. *shrug*

I don't think the big variety of typing means the characters are not well-written. JKR made the characters so real and we all gotta realise that real human won't be that easy to type, with all other stuff making the personality less "pure". I find real people hard to type too.

Darth Revan
04-02-2011, 03:02 AM
My Best friend (INTJ) and I spent a day figuring this out one day. I think the characters are more like this

ESTJ: Minerva, Percy, Walberga, Petunia, Umbridge
ESFJ: Molly, Draco,
ESFP: Ron, Dudley, Nearly Headless Nick,
ISTJ: Lucius, Quirrel
ENFP: Arthur, Fred and George, Lily, Tonks, Ginny
ENTJ: Charlie, Oliver, Voldemort
ENFJ: Dumblydore, Regulus, James
INTP:
INFP: Lupin, Hagrid, Neville, Luna, Sybil
INFJ: Hermione

(Some of these I didn't move because we concluded that we didn't have enough information to find their type, but maybe you did.)

---------- Post added 04-01-2011 at 07:40 PM ----------

Oh! Hermione is definitely an INFJ with her introverted-know it all-book wormy-ness, fighting for the rights of house elves, and at times very emotional responses.
Tonks is definitely an ENFP.
Luna and Sybil are both Kind, head in the clouds dreamer INFPs
Dumbledore is an extremely influential, charismatic, with care for all people and well connected ENFJ.
Voldemort is an organized, controlled, yet creative and charismatic and persuasive leader with values that are somewhat detached from the norm: ENTJ

Of these things I am sure. O.O

First off; you never elaborated on why Umbridge would be an Extrovert instead of Introvert; I typed her as such because the real reason she "seems" like an Extrovert is to really seem nice and gain power in Hogwarts (in book 5); she lacks the real need to connect with others so I feel she is an ISTJ rather than an ESTJ.

Secondly; Hermoine may be more ISTJ after re-reading the books and looking it over but I still doubt her being an intuitive type because of her central belief in following the rules.

Thirdly; Luna and Sybil are indeed "dreamers" but I feel that they do not have a true F in their type but rather T because both are not afraid to speak their minds despite what others may think. An example for Luna is on the train in book 5 when Harry, Ginny, Luna, and Neville were together on the Hogwarts Express and they started to talk about Hagrid; Luna did not hesitate to remark that he was not a good teacher in her opinion and still did not seem to care much about the reactions of the others. Sybil offended Hermoine during a lesson in her class and showed almost no sign of caring or more so just because she failed to understand Hermoine's feelings rather than truly being "heartless."

Fourthly; Dumbledore is an extremely mysterious character with few witches and wizards who truly know about him so I feel he is more Introverted than Extroverted despite his caring attitude towards people. His caring attitude to me reflects his F side more than him being an extrovert. The same goes for Voldemort; very few death eaters are really close to him and I would wager that most of them probably are not even aware of his past (he just seems to try and hide his "muggle-born" side of himself too much and go as far as to try and kill muggle borns.) With this I feel he is more Introverted than Extroverted. He does not strike me as J either because all the plans he came up with never seemed like he planned the out before they happened like your typical J type of person would've done. First he goes after the Sorcerer's Stone but when he failed to obtain it I doubt he had a back-up plan since he did not make a formal reappearance until year 4 when Peter sacrificed his own hand to restore his body. His seemingly planning as he goes type of attitude makes him seem more like a P rather than a J.

Lastly (finally) I am actually inclined to think you're right about Tonks being more of an ENFP rather than my initial thought of her being an ESFP. Thanks for the input.

---------- Post added 04-02-2011 at 01:39 AM ----------

Harry: ISFP
Hermione: ISTJ. Maybe ESTJ but definite STJ.
Ron: ESFP
Draco: ESTP
Voldemort: INTJ
Lupin: INFP
James: ESTP
Lily: INFJ
Snape: INTJ
Dumbledore: INTJ
Ginny: ESFJ?
Weasley twins: ENTP
Molly: ESFJ
Sirius: ENFP
Dobby: ISFJ
Luna: INTP
Trelawney: INFJ

Please explain why you believe that James is ESTP, Lily is an INFJ, Dobby is an ISFJ, and Trelawney would be an INFJ, and Weasly twins are ENTP.

sircockburn
04-02-2011, 03:47 AM
An enormous middle finger to those who lumped Draco into my type. :stare:

Where's his Fe?? And especially not ESFJ, are you *high*? lol

He's the unapologetic ESTJ.

But James, YES. Happy to claim him. :devilish:

Darth Revan
04-02-2011, 04:00 AM
An enormous middle finger to those who lumped Draco into my type. :stare:

Where's his Fe?? And especially not ESFJ, are you *high*? lol

He's the unapologetic ESTJ.

But James, YES. Happy to claim him. :devilish:

First off; I do not understand what you mean by "your type." It says on your profile that you're an ESTP. Secondly as to the why I typed him as an ESFJ; there are very few but some moments in the story line of Harry Potter that he shows some amount of emotional thinking such as in the first book that Harry Potter would not accept him as a friend and instead accept Ron Weasly is such a time. He felt hurt I believe that a famous wizard such as Harry Potter would pick one such as Weasly whom he considers beneath him. His rivalry with Harry seems to be an emotional one more than a cold rational one.

SongofSeptember
04-02-2011, 04:33 AM
I really appreciate everyone's input thus far (even the reasons why I may have Hermoine wrong) but can someone please tell me why so far you guys see Voldemort as an INTJ rather than an INTP...?

His Te.

sircockburn
04-02-2011, 05:12 AM
First off; I do not understand what you mean by "your type." It says on your profile that you're an ESTP. Secondly as to the why I typed him as an ESFJ; there are very few but some moments in the story line of Harry Potter that he shows some amount of emotional thinking such as in the first book that Harry Potter would not accept him as a friend and instead accept Ron Weasly is such a time. He felt hurt I believe that a famous wizard such as Harry Potter would pick one such as Weasly whom he considers beneath him. His rivalry with Harry seems to be an emotional one more than a cold rational one.

lol. I was talking to multiple people at once.

He wanted to be Harry's friend to ride his coattails of fame & glory. A perfectly logical motive. Served up, ESTJ style! :D

PoeticEvil
04-02-2011, 06:54 AM
First off; you never elaborated on why Umbridge would be an Extrovert instead of Introvert; I typed her as such because the real reason she "seems" like an Extrovert is to really seem nice and gain power in Hogwarts (in book 5); she lacks the real need to connect with others so I feel she is an ISTJ rather than an ESTJ.

Secondly; Hermoine may be more ISTJ after re-reading the books and looking it over but I still doubt her being an intuitive type because of her central belief in following the rules.

Thirdly; Luna and Sybil are indeed "dreamers" but I feel that they do not have a true F in their type but rather T because both are not afraid to speak their minds despite what others may think. An example for Luna is on the train in book 5 when Harry, Ginny, Luna, and Neville were together on the Hogwarts Express and they started to talk about Hagrid; Luna did not hesitate to remark that he was not a good teacher in her opinion and still did not seem to care much about the reactions of the others. Sybil offended Hermoine during a lesson in her class and showed almost no sign of caring or more so just because she failed to understand Hermoine's feelings rather than truly being "heartless."

Fourthly; Dumbledore is an extremely mysterious character with few witches and wizards who truly know about him so I feel he is more Introverted than Extroverted despite his caring attitude towards people. His caring attitude to me reflects his F side more than him being an extrovert. The same goes for Voldemort; very few death eaters are really close to him and I would wager that most of them probably are not even aware of his past (he just seems to try and hide his "muggle-born" side of himself too much and go as far as to try and kill muggle borns.) With this I feel he is more Introverted than Extroverted. He does not strike me as J either because all the plans he came up with never seemed like he planned the out before they happened like your typical J type of person would've done. First he goes after the Sorcerer's Stone but when he failed to obtain it I doubt he had a back-up plan since he did not make a formal reappearance until year 4 when Peter sacrificed his own hand to restore his body. His seemingly planning as he goes type of attitude makes him seem more like a P rather than a J.

Lastly (finally) I am actually inclined to think you're right about Tonks being more of an ENFP rather than my initial thought of her being an ESFP. Thanks for the input.

Umbridge: Umbridge is a hard one to type in my opinion but I typed her as an ESTJ for a few reasons. One being that she seemed to be very well connected in the ministry, having many contacts and knowing a lot about many people. Upon further review this could also be due to her being an "investigator" and finding out about who has muggle blood in them. But from what I've known about ISTJs few are as power hungry and drawn to political work as ESTJs. ESTJs however are often on a quest to be normal and have their world be ideally normal, and the controlling way she went about it said ESTJ for me. So honestly, it could go either way. :)

Hermione: I have read the books many times and I truly think Hermione is a very intelligent INFJ. There is also no doubt in my mind that she is a NF. I think her problem with rule breaking is due to an Ideal that she has against rule breaking, you'll note that she always voices her opinion on it but if the rule breaking is for a good reason she will just be annoying about it for a while. You'll notice that in the later books she starts to break rules sometimes when it is "necessary", therefore amending the ideal to "breaking the rules is ok when its for a good reason". Many INFJs are big rule followers (especially as young kids). Like any NF (and especially a passionate INFJ) she fights for the rights of house elves and organizes "S.P.E.W." with the dedication of a judger. I also think it is clear that Hermione is a feeler. I think this is being overlooked because she is often more rational than Harry and Ron (who are obvious Feelers) but her various dramatic emotional responses. INFJs can also be very bossy when they believe they know best. Many times they believe they are simply being assertive and helping everyone by getting everyone on the right track and correct thinking.

Luna and Sybil: Firstly being a Feeler does not mean that someone is therefore less likely to speak there minds. Though I will admit that their lack of consideration does hint toward a thinking preference but the fact that both of them seem to live in their own fantasy world of possibilities and (in the case of luna) unheard of/false mythical creatures I would argue that they both are somewhat unaware of the people around them due to being in their own little world. I would also say that Luna is definitely intuitive due to her constantly being concerned with monsters who are theoretical in nature. Sybil may be another type, but I think we still need more evidence.

Dumbledore: I understand what you mean about his mysterious nature and did consider how that may seem like an introvert. But I would argue that this is not because of a personality preference, but due to a learned trait from the problems his family had when he was younger. At the same time Albus really does show many signs of being an ENFJ. ENFJs are natural leaders who are normally very attracted to shaping society for the greater good. Dumbledore is also vveeerryy well connected, he seems to know everyone which also hints toward extrovert. He even tends to think aloud around Harry which is granted partly strategic but also a sign of an extrovert. But I would like to hear more evidence toward him being an INFJ because I do see why that could be correct.

Voldy: Ok this guy is totally an ENTJ. He I think we can both agree that he is obviously a conceptualizer. ENTJs are the only NT that has proven to be a particularly charismatic (which we know for a fact Voldemort was) and determined leader, (with the exceptional of some exceptional INTJs) INTPs though very inventive and skilled at dealing with both concrete and abstract theories do not have the social prowess that ENTJs. ENTJs are very well put together and therefore their plans for world domination or race extermination seem more believable as well. As for his plans in the books: The man didn't even have a body, his servants, or most of his soul at that point so I wouldn't expect his options to be that great. When Voldemort was after the stone, it was his best option at the time. The ministry and Dumbledore moved it and protected it because it was a viable threat. We should also note that a Perceiver's plans would be much more adaptable, but Voldemort chose to wait for a few years for a more opportune time to strike again. Also; his plans seem to be much more systematic which suggests an NTJ. Furthermore INTPs much like many INTJs, tend to love the idea of ruling the world their way but more often would be the driver brains (and person doing much of the brainy work) behind the scenes. INTPs are often brilliant seekers of knowledge but also tend to be very nonconformist and recluse from society rather than actively try to change it to their liking.

Tonks: Yeah she is totally an ENFP. The funny part is that I was in denial about it because she annoys the crap out of me but alas my best friend always have to rub it in that She and I are very very alike.

Sorry if this is confusing or written poorly, I had to type it up twice because I accidentally deleted it once D;

Also; I forgot to move Harry to a ISFP instead of an ISFJ.

Darth Revan
04-02-2011, 10:21 AM
lol. I was talking to multiple people at once.

He wanted to be Harry's friend to ride his coattails of fame & glory. A perfectly logical motive. Served up, ESTJ style! :D

You're right but that is the reason he wanted to be Harry's friend seems ESTJ like but the outcome of Harry's rejection showed his more F side. I don't think someone with a T type would solve their issue by continuing harassing and bullying the one who rejected him. (Or at least not much) The way Draco handles the situation seems to be more of a F because he took that very personally despite his ESTJ reason of attempting to become his friend in the first place.

---------- Post added 04-02-2011 at 11:03 AM ----------

Umbridge: Umbridge is a hard one to type in my opinion but I typed her as an ESTJ for a few reasons. One being that she seemed to be very well connected in the ministry, having many contacts and knowing a lot about many people. Upon further review this could also be due to her being an "investigator" and finding out about who has muggle blood in them. But from what I've known about ISTJs few are as power hungry and drawn to political work as ESTJs. ESTJs however are often on a quest to be normal and have their world be ideally normal, and the controlling way she went about it said ESTJ for me. So honestly, it could go either way. :)

Hermione: I have read the books many times and I truly think Hermione is a very intelligent INFJ. There is also no doubt in my mind that she is a NF. I think her problem with rule breaking is due to an Ideal that she has against rule breaking, you'll note that she always voices her opinion on it but if the rule breaking is for a good reason she will just be annoying about it for a while. You'll notice that in the later books she starts to break rules sometimes when it is "necessary", therefore amending the ideal to "breaking the rules is ok when its for a good reason". Many INFJs are big rule followers (especially as young kids). Like any NF (and especially a passionate INFJ) she fights for the rights of house elves and organizes "S.P.E.W." with the dedication of a judger. I also think it is clear that Hermione is a feeler. I think this is being overlooked because she is often more rational than Harry and Ron (who are obvious Feelers) but her various dramatic emotional responses. INFJs can also be very bossy when they believe they know best. Many times they believe they are simply being assertive and helping everyone by getting everyone on the right track and correct thinking.

Luna and Sybil: Firstly being a Feeler does not mean that someone is therefore less likely to speak there minds. Though I will admit that their lack of consideration does hint toward a thinking preference but the fact that both of them seem to live in their own fantasy world of possibilities and (in the case of luna) unheard of/false mythical creatures I would argue that they both are somewhat unaware of the people around them due to being in their own little world. I would also say that Luna is definitely intuitive due to her constantly being concerned with monsters who are theoretical in nature. Sybil may be another type, but I think we still need more evidence.

Dumbledore: I understand what you mean about his mysterious nature and did consider how that may seem like an introvert. But I would argue that this is not because of a personality preference, but due to a learned trait from the problems his family had when he was younger. At the same time Albus really does show many signs of being an ENFJ. ENFJs are natural leaders who are normally very attracted to shaping society for the greater good. Dumbledore is also vveeerryy well connected, he seems to know everyone which also hints toward extrovert. He even tends to think aloud around Harry which is granted partly strategic but also a sign of an extrovert. But I would like to hear more evidence toward him being an INFJ because I do see why that could be correct.

Voldy: Ok this guy is totally an ENTJ. He I think we can both agree that he is obviously a conceptualizer. ENTJs are the only NT that has proven to be a particularly charismatic (which we know for a fact Voldemort was) and determined leader, (with the exceptional of some exceptional INTJs) INTPs though very inventive and skilled at dealing with both concrete and abstract theories do not have the social prowess that ENTJs. ENTJs are very well put together and therefore their plans for world domination or race extermination seem more believable as well. As for his plans in the books: The man didn't even have a body, his servants, or most of his soul at that point so I wouldn't expect his options to be that great. When Voldemort was after the stone, it was his best option at the time. The ministry and Dumbledore moved it and protected it because it was a viable threat. We should also note that a Perceiver's plans would be much more adaptable, but Voldemort chose to wait for a few years for a more opportune time to strike again. Also; his plans seem to be much more systematic which suggests an NTJ. Furthermore INTPs much like many INTJs, tend to love the idea of ruling the world their way but more often would be the driver brains (and person doing much of the brainy work) behind the scenes. INTPs are often brilliant seekers of knowledge but also tend to be very nonconformist and recluse from society rather than actively try to change it to their liking.

Tonks: Yeah she is totally an ENFP. The funny part is that I was in denial about it because she annoys the crap out of me but alas my best friend always have to rub it in that She and I are very very alike.

Sorry if this is confusing or written poorly, I had to type it up twice because I accidentally deleted it once D;

Also; I forgot to move Harry to a ISFP instead of an ISFJ.

On Hermoine: I don't believe her to be intuitive though you provide good answers for her being so but she only does it as you say and I agree with you when its "necessary." Under such circumstances seem quite often since one of her best friends (Harry) is always in danger ever since book 1. Another point is Hermoine does show some degree of being impulsive when teased and would go as far as saying she "hates" Pansy. This does show more of a F side as well but on the other hand it shows a really low chance of N because she does seem to care about being approved (which most people do of course; even N types) but to the point where she is more of a conformist and not having the unconventionality of an intuitive type. All in all I think I can find a middle ground with you where Hermoine is a possible ISFJ rather ISTJ but still am doubtful on her being an intuitive type.

On Luna and Sybil; first off I did not mean to make it seem that I think that F don't speak their minds (in some ways they speak their minds more than T.) What I really meant is that F don't speak their minds if they know it will hurt another person or affect them negatively. Both Luna and Sybil spoke their minds but seem quite oblivious to the other character's feelings that they were interacting with thus is why I believe them to be T more than F. Another point on them being "dreamers" is in my opinion; that is why they're both N rather then that being a reason for them being F (F for Luna at least). They both do believe in things that are rather "out of the ordinary" even for wizards as well as you said being unaware of others but that is more of an N personality; so they are N for that not F. Sybil is harder to type but I really don't see any other personality she can be other than INTP.

On Dumbledore; he is not Extroverted to me because he is not very outspoken. Sure he is in some ways a "leader" but not quite. To me he seems more like a very trustworthy "advice giver" rather than a "leader." He is headmaster but he does not seem willing to lead or act the Order of the Phoenix even against Voldemort but rather wait and be patient. He also leaves it up to Harry to create his "army" in year 5. If him being "mysterious" because of his family than I am willing to argue that he is Introverted because of that rather than being Extroverted and just "acting" Introverted. All in all; I still believe him to be more Introverted than Extroverted.

On Voldemort; he can indeed conceptualize but I feel he is still an INTP more. As for being extroverted; I would not consider him a good "leader." He keeps the death eaters loyal to him by intimidation, blackmail, threats etc. He doesn't appear to have the people skills to actually persuade those to his cause but rather subtly know how to manipulate them as pawns not true followers. As for your response to him being more J than P; he didn't "choose to wait" as you said but rather he could not act or reappear. Voldemort had to come up with another plan altogether with him planning as he goes rather than have back up plans that most J seem to have.

---------- Post added 04-02-2011 at 11:11 AM ----------

Since I cannot edit my original list here is the updated version:

ESFJ: Molly, Draco
ISFJ: Harry, Hermoine, Griphook, Narcissa?
ENFP: Arthur, Fred and George, Ginny, Tonks, Dobby, Lily

Muse
04-02-2011, 03:36 PM
To date I have never met a bossy INFJ. And Hermione is certainly bossy.You haven't met my sister. Definitely bossy, definitely INFJ.

PoeticEvil
04-03-2011, 05:10 AM
You're right but that is the reason he wanted to be Harry's friend seems ESTJ like but the outcome of Harry's rejection showed his more F side. I don't think someone with a T type would solve their issue by continuing harassing and bullying the one who rejected him. (Or at least not much) The way Draco handles the situation seems to be more of a F because he took that very personally despite his ESTJ reason of attempting to become his friend in the first place.

---------- Post added 04-02-2011 at 11:03 AM ----------

On Hermoine: I don't believe her to be intuitive though you provide good answers for her being so but she only does it as you say and I agree with you when its "necessary." Under such circumstances seem quite often since one of her best friends (Harry) is always in danger ever since book 1. Another point is Hermoine does show some degree of being impulsive when teased and would go as far as saying she "hates" Pansy. This does show more of a F side as well but on the other hand it shows a really low chance of N because she does seem to care about being approved (which most people do of course; even N types) but to the point where she is more of a conformist and not having the unconventionality of an intuitive type. All in all I think I can find a middle ground with you where Hermoine is a possible ISFJ rather ISTJ but still am doubtful on her being an intuitive type.

On Luna and Sybil; first off I did not mean to make it seem that I think that F don't speak their minds (in some ways they speak their minds more than T.) What I really meant is that F don't speak their minds if they know it will hurt another person or affect them negatively. Both Luna and Sybil spoke their minds but seem quite oblivious to the other character's feelings that they were interacting with thus is why I believe them to be T more than F. Another point on them being "dreamers" is in my opinion; that is why they're both N rather then that being a reason for them being F (F for Luna at least). They both do believe in things that are rather "out of the ordinary" even for wizards as well as you said being unaware of others but that is more of an N personality; so they are N for that not F. Sybil is harder to type but I really don't see any other personality she can be other than INTP.

On Dumbledore; he is not Extroverted to me because he is not very outspoken. Sure he is in some ways a "leader" but not quite. To me he seems more like a very trustworthy "advice giver" rather than a "leader." He is headmaster but he does not seem willing to lead or act the Order of the Phoenix even against Voldemort but rather wait and be patient. He also leaves it up to Harry to create his "army" in year 5. If him being "mysterious" because of his family than I am willing to argue that he is Introverted because of that rather than being Extroverted and just "acting" Introverted. All in all; I still believe him to be more Introverted than Extroverted.

On Voldemort; he can indeed conceptualize but I feel he is still an INTP more. As for being extroverted; I would not consider him a good "leader." He keeps the death eaters loyal to him by intimidation, blackmail, threats etc. He doesn't appear to have the people skills to actually persuade those to his cause but rather subtly know how to manipulate them as pawns not true followers. As for your response to him being more J than P; he didn't "choose to wait" as you said but rather he could not act or reappear. Voldemort had to come up with another plan altogether with him planning as he goes rather than have back up plans that most J seem to have.

---------- Post added 04-02-2011 at 11:11 AM ----------

Since I cannot edit my original list here is the updated version:

ESFJ: Molly, Draco
ISFJ: Harry, Hermoine, Griphook, Narcissa?
ENFP: Arthur, Fred and George, Ginny, Tonks, Dobby, Lily

(I’m sorry for any typos or lack of organization, I have to Flu and don’t care too much about that stuff right now)

Hermione: Although I think much of your reasoning is valid, I’m sorry but I truly disagree with Hermione being a sensor because I really don’t think she fits as a traditionalist or as either a ISFJ or an ISTJ. I think you may want to look more into the types themselves instead of focusing too much on each letter individually. How the letters come together make a very big difference. Hermione is a seeker of knowledge, she trys to be proficient in many areas but is also very focused on the care and emotions and social interactions between her close friends.
I’m going to show some info from a very creditable site to support my argument.
“INFJs are future oriented, and direct their insight and inspiration toward the understanding of themselves and thereby human nature. Their work mirrors their integrity, and it needs to reflect their inner ideals. Solitude and an opportunity to concentrate thoroughly on what counts most is important to them. INFJs prefer to quietly exert their influence. They have deeply felt compassion, and they desire harmony with others. INFJs understand the complexities existing within people and among them. They are at their best concentrating on their ideas, ideals, and inspirations.

It is also important to look at how INFJs are at at school and with learning:
Many INFJs who have the opportunity to gravitate toward higher education where they often find their niche. With their intellectual bent, they are led to endeavors that allow them to deal with theory and complexity. Professors often spot their intellectual inclination and encourage it.
Learning
INFJs have a strong love of learning, and they tend to do well academically. Through persistence, diligence, and conscientiousness, they complete their assignments on time. They are likely to enjoy research and will go great lengths to find answers.
INFJs enjoy investigating the possibilities and meanings beyond the actual facts and realities. Reading holds a particular fascination for them because it allows them to have quiet reflection time and engages their imagination. They also like the written word (and rely on it more than the spoken word) since it is usually better structured and more coherent with a ready-made framework.
INFJs write and communicate well because they want to formulate their ideas clearly. They place high regard on their reader and audience. They seek to communicate their ideals to others. When their ideals need to be championed, they speak up in an enthusiastic and impassioned way.
As students, INFJs prefer learning from teachers whom they both like and admire, and who give them personal attention. INFJs are often 'model' students. They are quiet and orderly, reflective and thoughtful, and sincerely want to please their teachers and learn the right thing. They learn best from others but want time to assimilate material by themselves.
INFJs will go beyond what has been presented and often mull material over in their minds. Occasionally they will discuss ruminations with others in order to learn even more. They particularly like the more conceptual and theoretical classes, therefore, higher education is comfortable to them.”

Furthermore I would have to say that Hermione definitely has leadership qualities and the certainly runs SPEW with the determination of a valiant Idealist (NF). ISFJ’s and ISTJs are not known to normally process leadership qualities and do not usually have such an extreme love for learning in general. ISFJs and ISTJs will usually become very learned in one or a few specific areas that interest them and often have a hands on aspect because of the sensor preference. Also: ISFJ and ISTJ women are usually much more put together looks wise even when they are younger, INFJs are one of the only Judging types who will look very un-kept like a perceiver.

Luna and Sybil: It is more likely that a T will speak their minds even if it will hurt someone’s feelings but INFJs and ENFJs (and a very confident ENFP) will say things that will hurt peoples feelings even if they believe the that whatever information they are giving or ideal they are defending is more important than the other person’s feelings- though I don’t think that would apply to Luna I think it does for Hermione (for sure) and could to Sybil. I honestly still see Luna as an INFP but will look into that further. But interestingly I think there is a high possibility that Sybil may be an ISFP. I truly think that Sybil’s lack of understanding other’s feeling isn’t because she is a thinker but because she is either to preoccupied and too EXTREMELY introverted to notice because she seems to be quite nurturing otherwise.

Dumblydore: I really do agree with you that Dumbledore may be an INFJ. Thinking on it now it makes sense, Dumbledore is very influential but he has never actually truly wanted to be in total power. It makes sense that he would be an especially gifted (which we know he is) and talented (also given) INFJ who is now very wise and even less power hungry. He really does like going off and doing his own thing at times too.

Voldy: I understand why you do not think Voldemort is a “good leader” but maybe think of the word “terrible” and “terrible leader” in its original meaning. His methods may not be the best (but we must remember that he is evil and literally a broken souled, racist psychopath) but they are effective and systematic. It is also obvious to me that he does have sincere people skills and charisma (which is talked about by death eaters and non death eaters many times in the books) in his early years. There is no way he could have collected so many followers and been such a charismatic leader as an INTP. In the entire time Voldemort is back in the stories he is NEVER alone. He always has minions with and around him, I would argue that his mysterious solidarity would be either due to A- His childhood as an orphan where he was very segregated socially from the other children and without family/nurturing B- His choice, ENTPs may be extrovert but they are also much more controlled individuals. I personally have always thought his secretiveness within his ranks was all part of strategic control of his minions. He literally controls these people like a controlling spouse would. I think the way none of the other followers ever know who is most important and how they are always trying to find out who is- is a tactic for Voldemort to have more dedicated and ever willing death eaters.

CaesAug
04-05-2011, 01:56 AM
@Darth Revan

How is Voldemort an INTP?

Darth Revan
04-05-2011, 02:12 AM
@Darth Revan

How is Voldemort an INTP?

I don't think I need to go into why he is introverted much (unless you think he is extroverted I really would like to know why but him being an I seems to be universally accepted.)

N because he deviates from the norm completely. He has his own future oriented goals as well to become immortal and visions a world with "pure-blooded" wizards.

T because he is a rational thinker (though I admit there were times when reading through the books and watching the movies I was convinced that he could have been a possible F but at best he is T with a few F personality quirks.) He also doesn't seem to have much feeling in himself (though this may be from him splitting his soul up into pieces but even as an orphan he was rather apathetic so I doubt that is the reason.)

P which is usually where I am at crossroads with people. I am guessing at least you believe him to be an INTJ. P though because even though I will not deny the fact that Voldemort can come up with schemes and plans quite easily and efficiently like one with a J type would; it is the way he does so that make me feel he is more of a P than a J. Even though he created the harcruxes beforehand and before his fall against Harry when he killed his parents; ever since then he tried to restore his body and return to full power. My main argument with his type is during year 1; he first targeted the Sorcerer's Stone though his plan was foiled which I believe is something he did not foresee and so did not have a "plan B" or a "back-up" plan that your typical "evil INTJ" would have. Another reason for this is because he did not make a formal reappearance until year 4 when Peter Pettigrew sacrificed his hand to revive his body in the graveyard. It was not something planned either since Peter being exposed in year 3 after Sirius' escape from Azkaban was not something Voldemort foresaw. (I don't believe so at least) though Voldemort knew that if Peter was exposed; he would return to his side out of cowardice. Because he did not foresee this though Voldemort demonstrates his preference to plan as he goes rather than have secured plans to begin with. This is why I believe him to have the P type rather than the J and so he would be an INTP.

CaesAug
04-05-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't think I need to go into why he is introverted much (unless you think he is extroverted I really would like to know why but him being an I seems to be universally accepted.)

N because he deviates from the norm completely. He has his own future oriented goals as well to become immortal and visions a world with "pure-blooded" wizards.

T because he is a rational thinker (though I admit there were times when reading through the books and watching the movies I was convinced that he could have been a possible F but at best he is T with a few F personality quirks.) He also doesn't seem to have much feeling in himself (though this may be from him splitting his soul up into pieces but even as an orphan he was rather apathetic so I doubt that is the reason.)

P which is usually where I am at crossroads with people. I am guessing at least you believe him to be an INTJ. P though because even though I will not deny the fact that Voldemort can come up with schemes and plans quite easily and efficiently like one with a J type would; it is the way he does so that make me feel he is more of a P than a J. Even though he created the horcruxes beforehand and before his fall against Harry when he killed his parents; ever since then he tried to restore his body and return to full power. My main argument with his type is during year 1; he first targeted the Sorcerer's Stone though his plan was foiled which I believe is something he did not foresee and so did not have a "plan B" or a "back-up" plan that your typical "evil INTJ" would have. Another reason for this is because he did not make a formal reappearance until year 4 when Peter Pettigrew sacrificed his hand to revive his body in the graveyard. It was not something planned either since Peter being exposed in year 3 after Sirius' escape from Azkaban was not something Voldemort foresaw. (I don't believe so at least) though Voldemort knew that if Peter was exposed; he would return to his side out of cowardice. Because he did not foresee this though Voldemort demonstrates his preference to plan as he goes rather than have secured plans to begin with. This is why I believe him to have the P type rather than the J and so he would be an INTP.

I don't think going by the dichotomies is the best way to type someone. Have you read about the cognitive functions?

Darth Revan
04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't think going by the dichotomies is the best way to type someone. Have you read about the cognitive functions?

No I haven't yet but I am aware of it since another person notified me about it before. I will change my opinion after I read it myself (if I feel there needs to be a change that is) but thanks for the advice.