PDA

View Full Version : The Other New Guy

tehinternetsgam
05-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Hello from New Zealand. Short time listener, first time caller.

I'm a 28yo INTx who, until the last couple of years, didn't really have a clue why I was such an (apparently) screwed up individual. I'm currently at the tail-end (due to expending my cash reserves :embarassed:) of a 6 month hibernation in New Zealand after having worked an unfulfilling and meaningless job for the last 2 1/2 years over in Australia. Prior to that my life is a fairly colourful patchwork of misery and disappointment.

Then I took one of those stupid internet tests that couldn't possibly be anything more than a trivial waste of my time and suddenly it all made sense. And what's more, there's more people like me. HOLY CRAP!

The first time I took the myers-briggs test a year or so ago I came up INTJ. I took it again a few months later and came up INTP. I took it again tonight and came up INTJ again.

I've read many different INTJ and INTP profile descriptions and I found myself identifying with many traits from both... Although I do concede that I am definitely tilted towards the J side (The Reluctant Leader sounds like a book title and is kinda the story of my life :undecided:).

While making my voice heard on the internet is definitely nothing new to me, doing it in this sort of environment (as opposed to my heavy gaming background) isn't something that comes naturally to me. I figure getting involved (or at least continuing to lurk) on this forum might give me a bit more insight into my 'disability' (because having a barely containable contempt for every stupid person around me is very disabling). ;) And may perhaps give me a push in the right direction as I once again return to the world of the extraverts to have another attempt at this thing called life.

Anyway... Yeah.

PS: My user name is supposed to be tehinternetsgamer but I guess this forum doesn't support long user names.

Ratherdashin
05-30-2008, 07:55 AM
this forum might give me a bit more insight into my 'disability' (because having a barely containable contempt for every stupid person around me is very disabling).

It's not all that disabling, knowing that your always right is quite an insuring feeling

tehinternetsgam
05-30-2008, 07:57 AM
It's not all that disabling, knowing that your always right is quite an insuring feeling

You are so right. Fancy that. :p

Elfrun
05-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Hello from the mainland *pushes tehin into the centre of the forum and passes the keyboard* I shown you in the right direction like you wanted, it's up to you now mate. ;)

rwyatt365
05-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Our preference is to keep usernames to 3-5 characters, but no one listens to us anyway.

Welcome.

PHS Philip
05-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Our preference is to keep usernames to 3-5 characters, but no one listens to us anyway.

Welcome.

Serial numbers instead of user names....

Welcome!

mental drift
05-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Long-winded is a viable option that fits into the character length quite nicely. Welcome to the forum.

Bioplasmoid
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi there, good to see you found your homeplanet. Or at least a star nearby. Unlike you im very new to actually contributing to a forum. Ive spent about the past 11-12 years reading websites with other peoples opinions,theories and FUD. There is a nice lack of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt here, which makes it highly addictive. In this country (New Zealand) the 'tall poppy syndrome' is quite prevalent, causing alienation all over the place for anyone with an opinion of their own. Fortunately we have the power of the internet to re-unite our lost tribe, and enrich each others lives. As for finding work with meaning, I can sympathise with your sentiments on this also. In my case the ideal career has to involve somehow contributing to,safeguarding, or improving society in some manner. Ive never had a university education, but am about to start one next year, if all goes to plan. Im hoping this will expand my options considerably, in terms of finding a truly fulfilling career . I think "know thyself" is an incredibly important process which once started, gradually draws one towards the right focus in the external world. Sites and communities like this expedite the process considerably!

Nice to have you here. :)

Elfrun
05-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Serious moment *gasp from the back of the room* God I hate that 'tall poppy syndrome' why the hell do NZers and Aussies do that, I don't understand the mentality of pulling everyone down but it's so prevalant that people seem to accept it. Makes me wanna scream.

Bioplasmoid
05-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Well it may be part of the reason (other than money) that so many Kiwis leave NZ, for new lives in other countries. There has been much consternation here of late in our media about this trend. But virtually no consideration of peoples identity (perceived or reinforced) in day to day society here. I guess it hits a little too close to home. :laugh: I would imagine the 'tall poppy syndrome' functions as a 'breeding vat' for future IxxJs, unparalleled in efficiency by other suppressive aspects of society here. Is there a mass exodus of "young" Australians relocating also?

Incidentally a great deal of our science/physics grads, engineers and inventors also leave, due to the lack of funding (state and private) or venture capital on offer here, for new ideas/research/products, which is really quite a shame.

Monte314
05-30-2008, 10:09 PM
If you are an INTx, this forum is a good place to see yourself in others... to hear someone else ask the questions you've silently asked yourself a thousand times... and to learn how others with your "perspective" have handled the challenge of being an INTJ.

Greetings!

Bioplasmoid
05-30-2008, 10:22 PM
*Nods and Smiles briefly in Monte314s direction* :thumbsup:

tehinternetsgam
05-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Well it may be part of the reason (other than money) that so many Kiwis leave NZ, for new lives in other countries. There has been much consternation here of late in our media about this trend. But virtually no consideration of peoples identity (perceived or reinforced) in day to day society here. I guess it hits a little too close to home. :laugh: I would imagine the 'tall poppy syndrome' functions as a 'breeding vat' for future IxxJs, unparalleled in efficiency by other suppressive aspects of society here. Is there a mass exodus of "young" Australians relocating also?

I was born in NZ and moved to Australia when I was 6 years old. So for all intents and purposes I view myself more as Australian than anything else. I've come and gone from NZ several times in the last 7 odd years as part of my attempts to 'find myself'.

I haven't really identified with any other reason other than financial for my preferring Australia. From an employment perspective it's simply far better to live in Australia than NZ. More opportunities and more income for your effort. It's almost always inevitable that I end up heading back to Aus when it's time to fill the bank account once more.

As to Australians jumping ship and heading overseas... I don't really think it's very prevalent. Not like it is here in NZ where a huge portion of the population usually can't wait to get out of the place. NZ is a great country to live in... If you have a nice comfortable job or are already stinking rich... But for us plebs at the bottom, there's simply no real reason to stick around.

The fact that NZ citizens can come and go as they please in Australia also helps. ;)

replicant
05-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah for Kiwis! :) Welcome.