PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

OutlawSteph
05-29-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm Stephanie. I'm INTJ, with the I_TJ being very prominant, and the N part more moderate.

My main interest is music. I play guitar and banjo and pretty much focus on bluegrass. The systemizing aspects of my personality make learning music theory very simple, and I can site read and my improvising skills are getting there. I did have some experience in audio engineering before the digital era of today. Yet, my degree is in social science, goverment specifically. My favorite President, Woodrow Wilson, is INTJ. :thumbsup:

curiousjane
05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Hello, I'm CJ. I'm INFP, with the _N__ being very prominent, and everything else fluctuating per my mood and surroundings.

*offers hand*

My main interest is being creative. I used to play violin. I sometimes play piano. I love to listen to bluegrass, but I prefer indie rock. I can sight read, but stink at memorization. I have absolutely squat experience in audio engineering, either pre or post digital era. My degree is in Mass Communication. My favorite president, ummm .... John Adams, was ... ummm ... I don't know.

mental drift
05-29-2008, 10:43 PM
You mean your favorite president isn't George Bush Jr. *gasps* Well it looks like you have passed the common sense test. The rest of the test will be administered down the hall and to the right. Look for the person with the rubber gloves on, he's a big fan of pickin' and grinnin'. Welcome.

Bioplasmoid
05-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi Stephanie, pull up a chair and make yourself at home. :)

Elfrun
05-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Hi Outlaw, Iím glad youíre here, I have a question for you!

Ok, when people ask what type of music I like I generally say anything but bluegrass and crap pop. Now I donít think I have anything against bluegrass itís just an obscure reference for people around here. In case Iím tarnishing your genre irresponsibly can you please explain what is great about it?

I must say you Ďmericans and your patriotism amaze me, ask an Aussie who their favourite Prime Minister is and youíll get a strange look followed by a crack about politicians and generally a bad impersonation.

curiousjane
05-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Right. 'Cause I obviously knew so much about John Adams. He was just the only one I could think of off the top of my mind who didn't embarrass me. Of course, good ol' honest Abe would have been a decent choice. But who wants to choose the obvious?

*goofy smirk*

OutlawSteph
05-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Outlaw, Iím glad youíre here, I have a question for you!

Ok, when people ask what type of music I like I generally say anything but bluegrass and crap pop. Now I donít think I have anything against bluegrass itís just an obscure reference for people around here. In case Iím tarnishing your genre irresponsibly can you please explain what is great about it?

Thanks! I think it's neat you asked what I like about bluegrass rather than just saying "I don't like it". Ironically, I discovered bluegrass through my favorite rock band: the Byrds. A few of the guys from the Byrds (Clarence White and Chris Hillman specifically) were bluegrass musicians before and after they were in the Byrds. So I bought some of their bluegrass albums and loved them and wanted to play it. I then discoverd the "founding fathers" of bluegrass such as Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs, the Stanley Brothers, etc.. and their music is studied by all who play it.

Acoustic instruments require a lot of technical skills and the solos you hear in bluegrass can be even harder play than rock or electric country music. There's a lot of room to improvise once you've played the basic melody of the tune. So I really like the challenge of it, as well as the tone of acoustic guitars and banjo in particular.

Culturally, there's a small community of people who play bluegrass and get together for informal jam sessions. If you meet a stranger who plays bluegrass, chances are you'll know some of the same songs and can play together automatically.

ask an Aussie who their favourite Prime Minister is and youíll get a strange look followed by a crack about politicians and generally a bad impersonation.

LOL! ;D

rwyatt365
05-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi Steph (it's ok to call you Steph, isn't it?). Welcome to the forum.

I'm an INTJ with the INTJ being most prominent. I like all kinds of music (including bluegrass), and I think the Byrds were a cool group. I used to play the violin and I plunk and plonk at a guitar, but that's about it. I don't have a favorite president.

Monte314
05-31-2008, 09:30 PM
I've always felt that the highest level of popular musicianship is in your genre.