PDA

View Full Version : Is there another word that can replace Love?

BlackFlames
02-15-2011, 02:39 AM
A while ago I was discussing a similar thought I shared with someone of how we both feel that the word LOVE in regards to our families is not acutally the word we want to use. Its very hard to think about because the word love is soooooo close but thats just not it for me. Personally, with my family, ofcourse I dont want anything to happen to them, I do care about them, and if I must say I do "love" them. Like they say Hate is such a strong word, I feel that Love is such a strong word...when I do say 'I love you' to a family member its all just words because thats what your suppose to say...

Could their be another word to replace this with equal meaning but at the same time not the same meaning? Or is love just the word I'll have to use and get over it?

Anything that comes close other than love is loyalty...I feel a loyalty relationship with my fam rather than I can say I LOVE them...

Shadizar
02-15-2011, 02:43 AM
The word love wouldn't be such a problem, if the word lust wasn't so stigmatized. I would love to be able to say to a new girlfriend "I lust you."

Frog
02-15-2011, 04:49 AM
"Intimacy"

Philanthropist
02-15-2011, 05:59 AM
A while ago I was discussing a similar thought I shared with someone of how we both feel that the word LOVE in regards to our families is not acutally the word we want to use. Its very hard to think about because the word love is soooooo close but thats just not it for me. Personally, with my family, ofcourse I dont want anything to happen to them, I do care about them, and if I must say I do "love" them. Like they say Hate is such a strong word, I feel that Love is such a strong word...when I do say 'I love you' to a family member its all just words because thats what your suppose to say...

Could their be another word to replace this with equal meaning but at the same time not the same meaning? Or is love just the word I'll have to use and get over it?

Anything that comes close other than love is loyalty...I feel a loyalty relationship with my fam rather than I can say I LOVE them...

For my family, the word 'cherish' comes to mind. For my fiance, the word 'adore' is the first thing I think of.

zergonipal
02-15-2011, 10:32 AM
'Love' is a very inadequate word to describe the range of feelings it does.

The ancient greeks had four words for love (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.) but even that doesn't seem like enough. Are there other languages with more?

pyramidheadrock
02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
What do you guys and gals think about "intense bond"? It's the term i use the most.

HAL 9000
02-15-2011, 04:01 PM
What do you guys and gals think about "intense bond"? It's the term i use the most.

There is a reason why they call it chemistry. :P

Moniker9
02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Devotion.

JDFP
02-15-2011, 05:00 PM
'Love' is a very inadequate word to describe the range of feelings it does.

The ancient greeks had four words for love (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.) but even that doesn't seem like enough. Are there other languages with more?

Well said here. I think we've lost quite a bit by losing words in our language. "Love" is entirely too generalized that it loses almost all meaning as it is tossed around entirely too often. The Greeks had it right in itemizing the love between man and God (Agape) as opposed to romantic love (eros) and the other forms of love (brotherly love; familial love).

The way love is thrown around as a word today you could easily replace it with "double-good" as it has about just as much meaning and value as the word as it is used in contemporary times.

The phrase that makes me want to pull a Linda Blair and puke on people is when I hear one of the most annoying and disgusting statements in the English language: "I love <insert name> as a person, but I'm not in love with <insert name>".

freeeekyyy
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Well said here. I think we've lost quite a bit by losing words in our language. "Love" is entirely too generalized that it loses almost all meaning as it is tossed around entirely too often. The Greeks had it right in itemizing the love between man and God (Agape) as opposed to romantic love (eros) and the other forms of love (brotherly love; familial love).

The way love is thrown around as a word today you could easily replace it with "double-good" as it has about just as much meaning and value as the word as it is used in contemporary times.

The phrase that makes me want to pull a Linda Blair and puke on people is when I hear one of the most annoying and disgusting statements in the English language: "I love <insert name> as a person, but I'm not in love with <insert name>".
Yeah, the meaning is much more clear when those words are used rather than just "love."

October SKy
02-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I feel the same way. I only "love" my parents because I have to. If something were to happen to them, I don't know that I would be all that sad. I see it as a part of life.

If it wasn't for them paying for me to go to college, I would sever all communication with them.

Atmey
02-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Devotion.

Gonna say that, but if you are looking for downsizing, how about like?

phoboser
02-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Affinity.

Tactical Panda
02-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Perhaps some sort of warm kindred loyalty?

Shadizar
02-16-2011, 04:13 AM
Bed wrecker comes to mind.

plushbug
02-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Affection or goodwill.

moonmilk
02-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Idk my house mate just convinced his girlfriend on the phone that he didn't like talking to her while she was multitasking, forgetting to mention that he himself was currently multitasking more than she was, just so he could get her to hang up so that he could completely focus on a video game. He ended the conversations with I love you.

Therefore my judgement is that love is whatever the person believes love is. A projection if you will.

For example, INTJ's may strive to make love logical and sometimes miss other types version of love.

I do see the loyalty part. Without that love becomes very strange...

Metaphor
02-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Apparently the word 'like' seems to suffice more often than not.

Unfortunately.

BlackFlames
02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
I feel the same way. I only "love" my parents because I have to. If something were to happen to them, I don't know that I would be all that sad. I see it as a part of life.

If it wasn't for them paying for me to go to college, I would sever all communication with them.

Damn...that sounds...slightly mean...:laugh:

Rishki
02-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Pain

n8ey
02-18-2011, 03:52 AM
I don't think a new word would work, as we seem to (as a society) not see the different types of love.

It would take more than a word to change anything.

Vagrant
02-19-2011, 03:36 AM
Bear in mind, many languages have different words for "love" as they recognize there are different types. In English, qualifiers are necessary, as those words do not exist. Here's a few common qualifiers: Brotherly/Sisterly Love, Parental Love, Sacrificial/Unconditional Love, Romantic Love. Naturally, there's more than that, but these seem to be the most common.

Alderamin
02-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Addiction

Zsych
02-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Good will, caring, loyalty, devotion.

chaostheory
02-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Oxytocin

proveit79
02-19-2011, 06:46 PM
How about being "concerned" for the welfare of your family?

1superkawaii
02-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I understand what you mean. But it's an emotion and there is only so much you can say using letters to describe that. As long as you feel it and others feel it from you, then the words don't matter.

fishphlem
02-19-2011, 07:56 PM
passion?