PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been accused of over-analyzing?

TheStranger
11-28-2010, 08:54 PM
I've been accused of over-analyzing multiple times, although I find it a tad agitating, I don't mind that much, considering that there are worse traits in the world to possess.

So, the title states the question, answer away...

Booko
11-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Welcome to My World.

Falhalterra
11-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Every time there is a status update on Facebook where someone doesn't understand something, I feel like I really have to correct them and over-analyze their question.

No one really seems to mind. It's a quirk I have.

TooMuch
11-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Only by people that don't understand or value it.

Lady B
11-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Oh yes. In fact, I've accused myself of it as well. Most of the time, it's not a problem.

Lordship
11-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Yes, I sometimes wonder if it's like an INTJ staple to over-analyze? I've been working at it less, because I feel over-analyzing, especially against my will, is detrimental to my making forward strides in life.

TheStranger
11-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Every day of my life. My father, an INTJ, even accused me of thinking too much, and he was an astrophysicist, no joke. It's a blessing and a curse.

That means then that your father had this trait to some extent as well, which you probably already know. Myself, I realized a long time ago that my father has some of my "undesirable" traits.

DarkPassenger
11-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I believe it's some sort of INTJ right of passage. :laugh:

danielvutran
11-28-2010, 10:10 PM
That means then that your father had this trait to some extent as well, which you probably already know. Myself, I realized a long time ago that my father has some of my "undesirable" traits.

You ever think that you are the one that actually has his traits? You know, since you're his kid and all, lol.

And yes, I get told that a lot. But not as an insult.

TheStranger
11-28-2010, 10:30 PM
You ever think that you are the one that actually has his traits? You know, since you're his kid and all, lol.

And yes, I get told that a lot. But not as an insult.

Obviously. I didn't word that post in such a way that it would exclude your statement.

Elfrun
11-28-2010, 10:36 PM
What is it that you're really asking when you state have you ever been accused of over-analyzing? :nerd:

TheStranger
11-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Maybe it's a riddle. :P j/k

Dru
11-28-2010, 10:51 PM
yes, my ex would have me believe that although he didn't act like it and didn't say it that he loved me, and accused me of being too analytical because i would point out the inconsistency between his words and his behavior and ask him questions about it.

i've also been told that i ask too many questions.

Thinker
11-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Only by myself.

I realised that making a decision or taking action are solutions to moving forward.
Now, when I need to make a decision, I usually provide myself with a time limit.
I have become much more comfortable in understanding how much effort/time/research to put into making a decision.

weezerbob
11-28-2010, 10:56 PM
I think I analyze things the right amount. No over-analyzing or under-analyzing. I think things through, look at them from all perspectives, draw a conclusion, and move on.

Mohammad
11-28-2010, 10:57 PM
all the time.
but as of late, i've begun to appreciate things for what they are without over-analyzing them. and they tend to be the most important ones. :)

Booko
11-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes, I sometimes wonder if it's like an INTJ staple to over-analyze? I've been working at it less, because I feel over-analyzing, especially against my will, is detrimental to my making forward strides in life.

My bf (ESTJ) sometimes tells me to get out of my head, 'cause it's a bad neighborhood. Sometimes she's right about that.

My poor INTP husband, he's even worse than I am.

Books
11-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Oh boy! Yes! 100 times yes! I've gotten better though. Doing it all in my head and telling them all the important stuff (and/or the things I think they will care about).

Shagrath
11-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Yes. I've over-analyzed everything from kissing to walking to jokes. I do it naturally so when other people point it out, I usually get surprised.

Merak
11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Perhaps all N's do? The simple act of trying to see the big picture as opposed to what is immediately before you tends to lead to more analysis (and over analysis).

At least that is the trend I have noticed from personal experience; those that accuse me of over analysing tend to be more of sensers, in-the-now folk.

AltoidaMintera
11-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I've been accused of over-analyzing multiple times, although I find it a tad agitating, I don't mind that much, considering that there are worse traits in the world to possess.

Ahahahahaha!

Sorry, I couldn't contain myself. Its just that...well... that statement pretty much sums up my life and how people interact with me.

Its my experience that overanalyzing has been a blessing to my professional career, its been a trial in my interpersonal relationships. Unfortunately, one can't just flip a switch, as much as I would love for such a button to exist.

taciturn
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
You might have considered the forum in which you started such a thread.

Analyzing is what we thrive off of.
(Over-analyzing is what those without the gift of acute observation choose to call it.)

AltoidaMintera
11-29-2010, 03:00 PM
yes, my ex would have me believe that although he didn't act like it and didn't say it that he loved me, and accused me of being too analytical because i would point out the inconsistency between his words and his behavior and ask him questions about it.

YES. Exactly that. This last year I was in a relationship where the guy actually quit talking to me on a deeper level because I pointed out inconsistencies with a story he told me in January, and then it changed in March. After that, it was let's talk about the weather stuff, nothing to get "caught" about crap.

Makes you wonder if ignorance is truly bliss... Being able to catch just about everyone in a lie has led to a semi-jaded view for me....

rara avis
11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
It depends on what you mean by over-analyzing. Are we talking about analyzing past the point of practical usefulness? Is there really such a thing as over-analysis? Can you really have too much data, too much thought on a given subject? I suppose there are situations where that might be inhibitive. But maybe we are talking about the simple accusation itself- which implies analysis beyond the point of someone else's understanding or use for such things? How much value does their personal estimation of what is too much hold for you? Such an accusation could mean that the accuser is hiding something, or wants you to treat a situation simply so that they can get away with something. Maybe they just want to go the easy route. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's irresponsible. Or maybe the accuser is just intellectually lazy, or they just have no respect of knowlege for its own sake, or they don't understand the art of planning and introspection. Or maybe you are the lazy one, who will sit around thinking and thinking while others act. Wouldn't that be convenient. Of course, it's possible that your accuser may have your best interest at heart, but in what sense?

Hmmm.

Fubudis
11-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I analyze everything but I keep it to myself. People will recoil if they think you're interrogating them.

On one hand, I like being able to read people like books. On the other hand, I hate knowing that almost everybody lies.

Bledwings
11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Its horrible isn't it... Specially in relationships if one word comes out wrong my mind will never let it go until I break it down and Analyze every possible situation that could have caused it until it takes me to a place I wish I never had to go.

Imagineering
11-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Yes. But then I learned to keep my mouth shut.

titi monkey
11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct answer (crazy, right?). Sometimes there is no elaborate structure behind the activity -- it's nothing more than what you see (I'm sensing skeptical looks).

I get accused of this by my poker playing friends. I look for the most intricate strategies when often there are none to be found. I guess I'm more concerned with avoiding a possibly devastating trap, however remote the possibility, than simply acting on the evidence right in front of me.

Merak
11-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct answer (crazy, right?). Sometimes there is no elaborate structure behind the activity -- it's nothing more than what you see (I'm sensing skeptical looks).

I get accused of this by my poker playing friends. I look for the most intricate strategies when often there are none to be found. I guess I'm more concerned with avoiding a possibly devastating trap, however remote the possibility, than simply acting on the evidence right in front of me.

This is the reason I'd think INTP folk have a tendency to have issues with this more so than INTJ. From what I understand, INTJs are actually looking for an answer, where INTPs seek out all possible answers, even the wrong ones.

TheStranger
11-29-2010, 04:28 PM
You might have considered the forum in which you started such a thread.

Analyzing is what we thrive off of.
(Over-analyzing is what those without the gift of acute observation choose to call it.)

I already considered that notion. Asking that question here provides some interesting discussion though.

maru
11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Every day. Not everything needs to be analyzed.

plushbug
11-29-2010, 06:09 PM
No, but I've certainly made myself miserable doing it.

panzom
11-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes I have been accused of it a lot. I have one friend that I have told to nudge me if she thinks I have started to over analyze things when we are around others that might think I'm trying to argue with them. It has helped a little.

Asocialkat
11-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Yep, all the time. The worst is when people think it's "cute" or "adorable."

Nate Randall
11-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Many times, actually.

On a tangent here: There is no such thing as over-analysis, just like there is no such thing as "deceleration" (a pet peeve of mine). You may come to a wrong conclusion because the amount of data may have scewed you, but ultimately that's your fault. Whens the last time you heard a scientists / study say that they had too much data and that screwed up the results?

paperclip
11-29-2010, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't call it over-analyzing!

Tangent
11-29-2010, 09:38 PM
All. The. Time.

Over analyzing, over thinking things...all that. I like to think I'm just planning ahead for all the possibilities...or at least trying to. Doesn't always work out how I've imagined it, but when it does, its pretty sweet.

Only problem is I can't stop sometimes, even when I want to...Sometimes I don't want to "over think" something....often ruins it for me :/ I am getting better at trying to find a balance...

Mazzy
11-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Yes, I have always had people tell me that I over-analyze. I have come to accept and appreciate that quirk!

stiletto
11-30-2010, 12:45 AM
When I was briefly seeing a counselor, she would cry "over-intellectualization" at least six times a session. From my perspective it pretty much became my own personal code-word. Though all it really did was make me more aware of that tendency, it did absolutely nothing to address it, as I'm still just as inclined to using overly rigorous and dispassionate thought as a kind of coping mechanism.

ya lyublyu tebya
11-30-2010, 03:17 AM
Yes, quite a few times. Hmph. It seems that a lot of people think that any analyzing is over-analyzing.

I'm still just as inclined to using overly rigorous and dispassionate thought as a kind of coping mechanism.

That's a bad thing? :suspicious:

TheStranger
11-30-2010, 04:13 AM
Many times, actually.

On a tangent here: There is no such thing as over-analysis, just like there is no such thing as "deceleration" (a pet peeve of mine). You may come to a wrong conclusion because the amount of data may have scewed you, but ultimately that's your fault. Whens the last time you heard a scientists / study say that they had too much data and that screwed up the results?

Just for the record, I'm not saying I agree with the usage of the term, but merely that I have been seen as someone who "over-analyzes" (their words, not mine).

Muumeh
11-30-2010, 06:43 AM
I've been accused to "think too much", which is somewhat similar of over-analyzing. Most of the time I've noticed this happening is when the person whom I am interacting with has already made their mind about the subject, desirable action or approach and want me to just shut up and agree/do it like they want it.

shakazulu
11-30-2010, 07:01 AM
If people accuse me of that i just dont say it out loud

Rachel45
11-30-2010, 07:02 AM
I have been told-in the past- to get out of my head... silly people, I LIVE there!

Corleone
11-30-2010, 07:02 AM
I double-major in Film and Media. That means I get marks for over-analysing. :laugh:

People generally seem more intrigued by my interpretations of things than dismissive or annoyed. Then again, I'm selective of who I say nothing to, who I make an alluding statement to (where elaboration relies on their willingness), and who I choose to just absolutely bombard with my far-fetched theories.

shakazulu
11-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Many times, actually.

But scientests are trying to analyze something to understand. So we to are like scientests in our head trying to analyze and understand everything. But not every one is a mastermind not everyone is a scientest. others just intuetively and unconsiously analyze everything. We do it consiously and they dont understand why we do it

Iota Null
11-30-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm having a hard time recalling the last extended social interaction where I wasn't accused of this! :D

gecko
11-30-2010, 08:13 AM

Bah. "Answers" in this context are dependent on goals. There is always more than meets the eye, and it is certainly elaborate, and that doesn't conflict with using Occam's razor in certain situations.

Shit, I'm doing it again.....:)

stiletto
11-30-2010, 09:27 PM
That's a bad thing? :suspicious:

When it acts as a kind of defensive barrier, or comes up when entirely unnecessary (which it would be in many situations), I would say yes.

I didn't use 'overly' for no reason, it implies excess.

It seems to be a common complaint among INT's (or perhaps introverted thinkers, period) that we'd like to be able to shut off our brains when it would be beneficial to do so. Discursive thought creates a kind of separation from reality which prevents us from living in the moment.

SirJamesIII
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I often accuse others of over-analyzing. As for myself, I think I do it sometimes, but I no one calls me out on it. I have a fondness for simple answers. They're sometimes harder to get to than the more complex ones. Sometimes I can only come up with complex ones. I don't really like those situations.

NoGrayArea01
12-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Does it count if we have accused ourselves of over-analyzing?

If so, then yes.

sunlover
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM

This only happens to me on days that end in "y".

Ranie9
12-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Yessssss. It never stops. I usually keep it to myself though, it's not real popular with most people. Especially my last boss...

jasper077
12-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Guilty. Not usually by others, though... I usually keep analysis to myself. But it can be truly maddening trying to figure out when you're over analyzing and when you're not... Anyone have any good advice on that? haha

Zsych
12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
By how long its taking to come to conclusions, how complex the issue is, and how much emotion is involved with you wanting or fearing a result.

rbc
12-08-2010, 12:07 AM
I was once asked by an interviewer whether the company needed to be worried about my tendency to overanalyze. My response was, "The title of the job for which I am applying is Analyst! I'm supposed to analyze everything, that's why you offered to hire me!"

As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as overanalysis. There is sufficient analysis to arrive at a decision, and then there is analysis for recreational purposes. Both are necessary to keep my brain functioning.

HAL 9000
12-08-2010, 02:37 AM
This is the INTJf. I'm a little more interested in who's been accused of over-empathizing.

That said, yes...oh yes...every day. Not that I care, most people who have accused me of this do not analyze enough.

Hana78
12-08-2010, 02:56 AM

Same here, sometimes I feel people tell me that I over analyse just to shut me up because I lost them :-)
I also ask too many questions, but that is how I learn, how I get to understand things, not giving that up.

Lord Shadowbane
12-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I get accused of it a lot, but I don't see it as a bad thing. It doesn't bother me when I do it, and I don't understand why (or much care) that it bothers others.

Ilara
12-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Frequently. Ironically, I am most often accused of such by professors and teaching assistants when I start exceeding the material they're giving me.

... In the long run, I don't see the propensity as a problem.