PDA

View Full Version : best jobs for introverts

Mendi the ISFJ
11-22-2010, 12:36 AM
any suggestions for jobs where you dont have to deal with people or rarely so (besides computer programming)

titi monkey
11-22-2010, 04:16 AM
Work with children or animals. Do you have a zoo nearby?

XFire35
11-22-2010, 02:21 PM
any suggestions for jobs where you dont have to deal with people or rarely so (besides computer programming)

Antarctic/Arctic survey?

Still Standing
11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Depends. What type of introvert are you? There are at least 6 subgroups of introverts that would each seek out different types of jobs:

- The realistic introvert seeks work that involves working with plants, animals, wood, tools, and machinery.
- The investigative introvert seeks work that requires extensive thinking, searching for facts, and figuring out problems mentally.
- The artistic introvert likes working with forms, designs, and patterns. The work can be done without following a clear set of rules.
- The social introvert (yes, this is quite possible even if it isn't your case) seeks work that involves working with, communicating with, and teaching people.
- The enterprising introvert seeks work that involves starting up and carrying out projects. May require leading people and making decisions. May require risk taking and often deal with business.
- And finally, the conventional introvert seeks work that involves following set procedures and routines. May include working with data and details more than with ideas.

ShadowID
11-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Just a thought: A "best" job for an INTJ may be one that requires you to deal with other people to ensure that the introversion doesn't develop into something that is out of touch with the outside world.

I did a few MBTI tests and they often listed "Judge" as one of the possible careers. I believe CEO was in a few of them as well.

eagleseven
11-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Wizard. Lots of time for quiet introspection, occasional meetings with various councils, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to test your incantations against rivals.

Traverser
11-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Wizard. Lots of time for quiet introspection, occasional meetings with various councils, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to test your incantations against rivals.

LOL! This is why my preferred class in D&D is "Psion", except our "councils" are mind-melds.

Artio
11-22-2010, 03:24 PM
It was just couple of years ago when I dreamed about being a morning paper boy. They work when others sleep, so I could not only work alone, but also do the shopping when others are at work or sleeping. That'd take care of my daily need of exercise, too.

Mendi the ISFJ
11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Depends. What type of introvert are you? There are at least 6 subgroups of introverts that would each seek out different types of jobs:

- The realistic introvert seeks work that involves working with plants, animals, wood, tools, and machinery.
- The investigative introvert seeks work that requires extensive thinking, searching for facts, and figuring out problems mentally.
- The artistic introvert likes working with forms, designs, and patterns. The work can be done without following a clear set of rules.
- The social introvert (yes, this is quite possible even if it isn't your case) seeks work that involves working with, communicating with, and teaching people.
- The enterprising introvert seeks work that involves starting up and carrying out projects. May require leading people and making decisions. May require risk taking and often deal with business.
- And finally, the conventional introvert seeks work that involves following set procedures and routines. May include working with data and details more than with ideas.

thats interesting and helpful. Im most likely an artistic introvert. I wasnt aware that there were so many types

Still Standing
11-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Actually, it's John L. Holland's 6 personality types. This can apply equally to extroverts and introverts, but my point was that there are no typically extrovert jobs and no typically introvert jobs. Depends on your other character traits.

Edit: After googling a bit, I see that Laurence Shatkin used this system to write the book 200 Best Jobs for Introverts. Might be worth looking into.

Toad
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Actually, it's John L. Holland's 6 personality types. This can apply equally to extroverts and introverts, but my point was that there are no typically extrovert jobs and no typically introvert jobs. Depends on your other character traits.

Edit: After googling a bit, I see that Laurence Shatkin used this system to write the book 200 Best Jobs for Introverts. Might be worth looking into.

I looked into that book a bit while waiting for a ride. It gave me some good ideas, and I'm now considering the actuarial sciences more seriously. It gives a lot of detail, ranging from the starting salaries and opening positions to how much interaction is involved with other people. As stated earlier though, I would pick a job with at least a little interaction to prevent yourself from becoming completely isolated.

Still Standing
11-22-2010, 11:33 PM
^I'm not sure I should be saying this but I accidentally (and quite easily) found it somewhere in PDF format while googling for it. 433 pages but lots of it is unnecessary/repeated info. You need to skim a bit to find the good stuff.

Damien Black
11-24-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm a Private Investigator, even I think its boring and lonely sometimes, but if your more of people watcher its a pretty sweet gig. make sure you pull a shift or two a week at a more social job just so you don't go nuts though.

jerkface
11-24-2010, 02:15 PM
going to school for accounting. the more i learn about it, the more convinced i am i made the right choice.

paintyourwagon
11-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I'd be a pilot for one of those small freight hauling outfits. You work alone most of the time and do a lot of night flying. Just you and the airplane humming along....

Imagineering
11-25-2010, 05:24 AM
I really want to get into some type of trade.

bwort
11-25-2010, 09:16 AM
I have been a film reviewer for the last three years. Since the press screenings are private and I can do most of my writing from home, I find it ideal for my generalized disdain of people.

darynthe
11-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Accountant, financial analyst, actuary, writer, medical transcription worker.

All these showed up in yahoo articles this week as best jobs for intros that pay over 50 grand. :)

Uriel
11-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Professional Organizer (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.)

Asocialkat
11-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Work with children...

Not a good idea. Children are loud.

titi monkey
11-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Not a good idea. Children are loud.
Yes, and animals are smelly. How about landscaping? I'm not sure what all's the difference between INTJ and ISFJ (career-wise), but landscaping is earthy, material, and artistic. I like the ones that work with native elements to reduce water usage.