PDA

View Full Version : More About the T/F Functions

JasonM
04-24-2008, 11:42 PM
According to the MBTI, Ts are more logical than Fs, and they're also more firm. On the other hand, Fs are less logical, but more sensitive. The problem that I see with this is that these are two distinct categories: rational vs. non-rational and firm-minded vs. sensitive. In reality, I think the firm-minded vs. sensitive category is more accurate. The opposite of someone who is logical isn't someone who is sensitive. The opposite of logic is something that is illogical. Being sensitive is neither logical nor illogical. In my mind, the opposite of someone who is logical would be someone who is slow or crazy. Therefore, we're not really talking about personality characteristics when we say that some people are more logical than others.

Vivid
04-25-2008, 01:51 AM
You are entirely right. In multiple things I have read, it is mentioned that the F preference is not to be mistaken as irrational. Both T and F are rational, logical functions. I believe the word 'logical' is thrown about a bit loosely to mean 'objective' sometimes.
However, I believe S types are defined as rational while the N preference is said to be irrational.