PDA

View Full Version : Ender's Game and the MBTI

Hobbesrevenge
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Currently just finished rereading an old favorite book of mine (Ender's Shadow) while my SO read Ender's Game for the first time (I've read this book many times before).

So after reading Ender's Shadow in conjunction with all the knowledge I have on MBTI (especially INTJ's since I am dating one :thumbsup:) I was surprised what a hardcore INTJ Bean was, actually in retrospect I should not have been surprised but still it was just so obvious.

Now in terms of Ender, that is another story...

Totally not sure what MBTI Ender would fit into. My guess would be that he is INFJ (more so if you ever read any of the sequels to Ender's Game, he's very logical but also has a pretty stong feeling side that you can't deny).

My SO feels he probably is a pretty feeling INTJ (as with most of the characters who went to battle school and were portrayed in the book) but I disagree.

Now granted I doubt there were many INFP's there :cry:, but an INFJ seems to make a good deal of sense to me.

What do all you Ender's Game fans out there think?

Kisai
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
It's hard to say. Ender's family, school life, and the military all f-ed him up so that his true personality couldn't blossom properly. I only read Ender's Game, but INFJ or even ENFJ or even ENFP for his true self might not be so far off.

Syntax
02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide make me agree with the INFJ, but Ender's Game makes me think INTJ. Remember when he crushed the wasp? That had INTJ written all over it...

rain
02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I read the entire series when I was a kid. I think Ender is ENTJ.

Syntax
02-12-2010, 05:13 PM
I read the entire series when I was a kid. I think Ender is ENTJ.

I imagine from a Bugger's perspective, everyone is Extroverted...

rain
02-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I imagine from a Bugger's perspective, everyone is Extroverted...

Ender is a strategist, not someone who is overly involved in his own feelings.

Don't you recall that chapter in which he had to beat up a kid in front of all the other kids to win their respect?

His strategy in doing so was not because he enjoyed beating the kid up- in fact, he hated violence, but he had to do it quickly and only once in the beginning in order to gain position within the group. Don't you think that's an NTJ way of thinking?

JohnDoe
02-12-2010, 05:22 PM
It was always my opinion that at the beginning of Ender's game, he was an INTJ, and by the end, he was an INFJ. Speaker/Xenocide/Children he is most *definitely* INFJ.

Rain: I can kick most peoples ass at strategy. Always have been able to and probably always will. Do not presume that INTJ's have a monopoly on strategic thinking. Yes, Ender is strategic. But that stuff about having to love your enemy to destroy them is not the thinking of an INTJ. It is, however, how an INFJ thinks, hell I could have written those lines. Also there is no way Ender is ENTJ. He takes command by being good at what he does, not by natural leadership ability.

Hobbesrevenge
02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
It was always my opinion that at the beginning of Ender's game, he was an INTJ, and by the end, he was an INFJ. Speaker/Xenocide/Children he is most *definitely* INFJ.

Rain: I can kick most peoples ass at strategy. Always have been able to and probably always will. Do not presume that INTJ's have a monopoly on strategic thinking. Yes, Ender is strategic. But that stuff about having to love your enemy to destroy them is not the thinking of an INTJ. It is, however, how an INFJ thinks, hell I could have written those lines. Also there is no way Ender is ENTJ. He takes command by being good at what he does, not by natural leadership ability.

wow, JohnDoe totally hit the nail on the head here! INTJ to an INFJ, makes total sense!

Alrighty, so what about Bean, I mean since I'm not an INTJ I'll never really know but how INTJ is Bean, right! It's pretty crazy!

What about everyone else?

Petra, Valentine, Peter, Achilles (who am I missing?)

My guess:

Petra: INFJ
Valentine: INFP
Peter: ESTJ (Although he could be an N too)
Achilles: ESTJ (In an evil way)

Let me know your insights!

Syntax
02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
The fact that Bean became the leader of the street urchins and provided food for them makes me lean toward INFJ. But it's been a while since I read Ender's Shadow...

Hobbesrevenge
02-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Bean didn't really provide anything to the street urchins apart from strategy to stay alive. I just finished rereading it, and after visiting this forum and meeting my own INTJ, it was wierd how INTJ he was.

Card portrayed him as having emotions, but he made it into something that the character was constantly questioning and analyzing. Something I think(?) INTJ's do often.

JohnDoe
02-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Valentine: INFP
Peter: ENTJ
Bean: INTJ (sorry, not an F, but does care about people, at least from non Ender's Shadow. It has been a long time since I have read Ender's shadow, so his personality could have gotten redone in that book).
I don't remember Petra or Achilles too well.
Bruno: ESTJ

Scatterbrane
02-13-2010, 05:37 AM
The fact that Bean became the leader of the street urchins and provided food for them makes me lean toward INFJ. But it's been a while since I read Ender's Shadow...

His TP-ish sarcastic proclivities strike me as consistent with the way INFJs can often appear akin to INTPs.

There's a variety of reasons someone might become a leader and provide for his group, what personality type this behaviour describes lies more in the how than the what.

Card portrayed him as having emotions, but he made it into something that the character was constantly questioning and analyzing. Something I think(?) INTJ's do often.

Was he questioning them for practical purposes, or was it more along the lines of being critical of them? From what I can tell immature INTJs tend more to deal with emotions solely for purposes of achieving goals, and INTPs in order to fit an ideal. There's a direction of personal growth for these two that lies in crossing this boundary, opening up the processes used by INFPs for INTJs, and the ones used by INFJs for INTPs.

Smile
02-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Valentine: INFJ(the in the backround type leader. Takes a lot of responsibility on her shoulders and looks out for others. Definitely speaks of Fe. She is not a dreamer type optimist, but more of a realist that accepts her position.)

I believe Ender started as an INFP but then became INTP. He kind of reminded me of "L" from Death Note.

Eleven
02-17-2010, 05:38 AM
I think Ender is INFJ. A combination of Ti analysis and Fe relating seems to fit better than a mix of Fi valuing and Te structuring.

Episteme
02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
wow, JohnDoe totally hit the nail on the head here! INTJ to an INFJ, makes total sense!

Alrighty, so what about Bean, I mean since I'm not an INTJ I'll never really know but how INTJ is Bean, right! It's pretty crazy!

I agree w/JohnDoe also. I've read the series too many times to remember, and related pretty well to the books. I'm a pretty solid INTJ, and he seems a lot like me, except the incredible genius part. Oh, and I don't grow out of my pants fast.

Ender, not so much. I'm not too good at guessing yet so I'll just say he doesn't seem too INTJ.