PDA

View Full Version : sharing ideas

chocky
03-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Do INTJs consider it some kind of personal threat to actually listen to another person's ideas?

From considered observation of the INTJ I know, he has proven incapable of actually sharing ideas - that is, he can't receive from others nor reciprocate the listening and intellectual consideration given to him. He is only comfortable when it is him doing the talking. Has even said that it is disrespectful of another person to communicate their ideas to him without first letting him communicate his (overlooking the fact that he has full time permission to speak his mind and that his ideas constantly receive consideration).

INTJs are classified as rationals, but to me this behaviour is exceedingly irrational. Why would anyone get angry with someone merely because they have the temerity to express themselves in hope of discussing ideas?

Antares
03-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Because the INTJ you know probably has a humongous ego. He might not want to hear your ideas because he thinks he is either afraid of your idea proving his illogical or that he thinks your idea isn't worth his time all together. On the contrary, he feels quite compelled to share his unsurpassed wisdom with the world ;) Frogive me, I can't get along with people like that. I might endure them, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

Nausved
03-06-2008, 09:38 AM
He definitely sounds F-ish to me—and not in the sensible, compassionate way. Just in the irrational, close-minded way.

Victor Tango
03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Do INTJs consider it some kind of personal threat to actually listen to another person's ideas?

From considered observation of the INTJ I know, he has proven incapable of actually sharing ideas - that is, he can't receive from others nor reciprocate the listening and intellectual consideration given to him. He is only comfortable when it is him doing the talking. Has even said that it is disrespectful of another person to communicate their ideas to him without first letting him communicate his (overlooking the fact that he has full time permission to speak his mind and that his ideas constantly receive consideration).

INTJs are classified as rationals, but to me this behaviour is exceedingly irrational. Why would anyone get angry with someone merely because they have the temerity to express themselves in hope of discussing ideas?

You are advancing an idea or position. Since I am an INTJ, I will now commence to blatantly disregard your obviously unimportant statements and advance my infinitely more interesting position:

You're an INTP, you should know better than to advance an hypothesis about a set based on one member of the set.

Bask in the glory of my unfettered ego!

Vic

Doppelbock
03-06-2008, 10:39 AM

From considered observation of the INTJ I know, he has proven incapable of actually sharing ideas - that is, he can't receive from others nor reciprocate the listening and intellectual consideration given to him. <snip>

Well, that's just one INTJ. Most INTJ's love the give and take of idea exchange with other smart people.

Lagawrd
03-06-2008, 02:56 PM
You have to remember not every person in a one type are the same. All INTJs are not the same, just like all INTPs are not the same. We might have the same way of thinking, but not the same interests and not the same behavior. This changes according to the setting of the environment (the amount of people, the kinds of people, the lifestyle.)

People need to stop thinking types are clans or guilds in a stinkin' RPG (No I do not think RPGs stink).

chocky
03-06-2008, 05:59 PM
You are advancing an idea or position. Since I am an INTJ, I will now commence to blatantly disregard your obviously unimportant statements and advance my infinitely more interesting position:

You're an INTP, you should know better than to advance an hypothesis about a set based on one member of the set.

Bask in the glory of my unfettered ego!

Vic

lol :laugh:

*And the two dimensional shadow-puppet INTJ beats the two dimensional shadow-puppet INTP over the head with the club of two dimensional argument in an exquisite parody of type behaviour.

Well structured Vic, but for the oversight that I wasn't forwarding an hypothesis. I wasn't attempting to extrapolate one individual's behaviour into a generalisation about the type as a whole. But maybe that wasn't clear in my wording, if so I apologise. And to you too Lagawrd, I seem to have given you a misrepresentation of what I was asking.

What I was looking for was insight from other INTJs that may help me understand this atypical behaviour. (Looking for the boundary between type profile and expression of personal trait.) I understand we are all more complex than four little letters. I may be taking a reductionist approach to understanding this particular behaviour, but when it comes to putting the picture back together, I am respectful and aware we are each more humanly mysterious than can be completely analysed.

The individual I mention is under extraordinary stress, as are we both, and strange things happen to people under stress. He is very definitely T dominant, but the shadow function of F is emerging. I am hoping some other INTJs may have experience or theories regarding their moments of irrationality when it comes to sharing ideas with others.

Thanks to all who have commented - more insight please!

Lagawrd
03-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Mmm, Who is this person? Is he a friend? Good friends? This might be why he is not speaking to anyone about his insights.

As for him getting upset when someone speaks their ideas before his, this depends on the situation.

Tenacious B
03-07-2008, 02:14 AM
From my limited knowledge of the subject, I would think an INTJ would have no problem hearing someone else's ideas. However, those ideas would likely be discarded by the INTJ seconds after being aired.

If he outright refuses to listen he may have some other issues.