PDA

View Full Version : A mind is a terrible thing to lose

qwerty
09-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Egads, I think I've come down with stupidia, my brain is not working. I can think maybe 2 or 3 steps ahead and that's it.
Whether it's the flu or something, all I know is I've been waking up in a fever for the last 2 nights every 3-4 hours and my head is on fire. The flu doesn't concern me as much as the brain malfunction though.

Probably why I'm asking this retarded question: Has anyone else suffered from brain shut down and seen the world through the eyes of everyone else? It scares me that regular people think without processing more than the single path they're aiming for without looking at everything in detail.

Doppelbock
09-25-2007, 07:21 AM
When I am very tired and short on sleep, by 8pm or 9pm or so my brain will start to shut down. My wife talks very fast to begin with, and I have to repeatedly tell her to slow down because my brain just can't keep up any more. Then I can't understand what she's saying anyway. Then I realize I've read the same paragraph of my book about six times without absorbing it and I know it's time to call it a night. Please tell me this is not what normal people experience all day long.

DB

Guido
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Happens to me all the time at parties. Although I'm pretty sure it's because of alcohol. But yeah... when this happens, I really do feel more 'normal'. Like after I'm tipsy, it seems I'm on other people's wave lengths. Funny when you think about it.

Firelie
09-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I feel like this right now because I am lacking the caffeine that is normally coursing through my brain by this point.

Damn addictions.

*sips tea*

Tarrick
09-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Affirmative. You also have to be careful to maintain a normal routine with caffeine. Too much one day and too little the next and you'll have yourself a nasty headache.

Hmm....

By the way Firelie, what kind of tea? I prefer Green.

Firelie
09-25-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm experimenting with tea right now. I'm trying to stop drinking coffee, so I'm trying out green and black teas... Any suggestions?

Tarrick
09-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Green tea with either some sugar or some honey is really good in my opinion. I also like Chai every so often.

Firelie
09-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Nah, I'm trying to get away from having to put crap in my caffeinated drinks...one of the many reasons I don't want to do coffee anymore -- I have to dump a whole lot of junk in it before I consider it good.

I was thinking more like... tea brands that are good, not tea preparations.

Tarrick
09-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Ah okay.

The usual "brand" that I drink is the Costco stuff, Japanese Green tea.

Jack
09-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Firelie- Is it the caffeine you're avoiding, or the coffee itself...I like Earl Grey, for the caffeine part in tea. If I miss out on coffee I'll have an Earl Grey.

Tarrick
09-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Either or, coffee has a lot more caffeine and it tastes nasty and it's addictive more so the tea.

/end Coffee rant

lollercancer
09-27-2007, 11:03 AM
I get something i call my "learning headache." after a few hours of actively thinking and doing stuff, i'll become extremely physically worn down. I'll want to sleep at 8 o clock, or even around 5 or 6 when i get home. It only happens when i'm really learning new things, though.

If i'm sick, or tired, I will function sooo retardedly.

TeleportThis
09-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Darjeeling for tea.

I need a lot of sleep when I'm learning new things. I have to sleep about 9 hours a night during school, which is really annoying because that doesn't leave a lot of time for other things, but I'd probably be failing without sleep. I'm really jealous of those folks that can function on like four.

But I've always needed more sleep than the average person. When working I still need at least six or I'll fall apart.

The Rose
09-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Egads, I think I've come down with stupidia, my brain is not working. I can think maybe 2 or 3 steps ahead and that's it.
Whether it's the flu or something, all I know is I've been waking up in a fever for the last 2 nights every 3-4 hours and my head is on fire. The flu doesn't concern me as much as the brain malfunction though.

Probably why I'm asking this retarded question: Has anyone else suffered from brain shut down and seen the world through the eyes of everyone else? It scares me that regular people think without processing more than the single path they're aiming for without looking at everything in detail.In the circles I frequent (women with children)
it is an accepted fact that we lose 25% of our brain capacity with each child.
By the time you have a 3rd child, you are definitely drain-bamaged.
So yeah, I feel worse than ordinary.
Sometimes I can't remember anything!
I don't have TIME to analyze everything anymore either-
which makes me uncomfortable.

mikey
10-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Please tell me this is not what normal people experience all day long.

DB

gahahaha Now that is brilliantly funny.

hopscotch
10-06-2007, 12:42 PM
I had a bout of this a couple weeks ago. I detached so much I couldn't process anything and walked around in a daze. It's disconcerting because I am normally quite sharp and tuned into my thoughts. I haven't yet pinpointed what causes this problem, but the normal things - fatigue, illness, booze - have minimal or no effect on my cognitive function. I'm leaning toward stress; perhaps severe detachment is my way of coping.

phoenix
10-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I had a bout of this a couple weeks ago. *I detached so much I couldn't process anything and walked around in a daze. *It's disconcerting because I am normally quite sharp and tuned into my thoughts. *I haven't yet pinpointed what causes this problem, but the normal things - fatigue, illness, booze - have minimal or no effect on my cognitive function. *I'm leaning toward stress; perhaps severe detachment is my way of coping.

We're building a house and the stress of that on top of the normal life stresses caused the exact effect you're describing, hopscotch. It was like I couldn't function at all last week. I spent the days surfing the internet rather than working, was tired all the time. Of course, it did lead me to this forum...which might not have been the best thing for my productivity...

Firebert
10-09-2007, 03:06 AM
My brain blew a fuse about a week ago. It was one of the worst experiences of my life...although not the first time it's happened. I start to realize it when I have to have people start repeating what they just told me. I get confused really easily and find myself wandering around with no real point. When it gets really bad, I'll start a sentence only to pause half way in and go..."Dear God, I have no clue where I was going with this."

Ijz
10-19-2007, 05:53 PM

Probably why I'm asking this retarded question: Has anyone else suffered from brain shut down and seen the world through the eyes of everyone else? It scares me that regular people think without processing more than the single path they're aiming for without looking at everything in detail.

Illness can definitely affect your cognitive functions. When you're body is recovering, it may reduce energy supply to less vital parts. Sleep deprivation is also a major cause of "stupidia".

On some days, when I have been doing a lot of (job-related) thinking, my mind becomes really clouded. Usually it clears up after a good night sleep, but sometimes it doesn't and it seems that my minds needs some additional time to process the information. During this time everything appears to be in a "daze" and I can't think clearly about anything.

Edit: Fixed typo.

qwerty
10-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah it turned out to be the flu, but it was a chilling insight into shoes of the others.

Chainsaw Dundee
10-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Happens to me all the time at parties. Although I'm pretty sure it's because of alcohol. But yeah... when this happens, I really do feel more 'normal'. Like after I'm tipsy, it seems I'm on other people's wave lengths. Funny when you think about it.

Heh, I notice the same thing when Im sleep deprived and drunk, and sometimes the opposite in a hypomanic/psychedelic state. You might find this to be an interesting read, along with some related reading.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:thumbsup:

chocky
10-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Like The Rose implies, anyone that wants a taste of losing one's mind should just try being a mother.

I can't remember the last time my mind really soared, the way it used to (especially when I was a teenager).

If I had never had children I could have been a formidable human being and really achieved something great. As it is I can't even hold a thought till the end of the sentence that started it. I spend my days in catatonia, staring at the screen hoping some spark will reignite the fires of my mind. (And that some damn kid won't wander up and piss on it the second it leaps to life.)

TruorTupnm
10-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Yikes. Got it. Don't produce spawn. But let me see here. Yes, I have gone brain dead. Not fun. I hear and understand everything around me, but it just doesn't stick. When I am reminded, I know that I totally should have known that stuff, but oh well. I can do all kinds of tasks, but I'm staring straight ahead, looking all zombish. Caffeine helps, of course, but I usually just require lots of sleep. It is annoying when other people recognize my state and poke all kinds of fun. ::)

Figmentum
10-31-2007, 04:01 AM
You've no idea how much of a relief it is, to talk to people like like myself.

But yes, I live an irregular schedule, so with the occasional lack of sleep, I feel as though my IQ plummets. When I'm in such a mood, the only thing that really cures it, is the appearance of a stimulating subject; a hot topic where somebody, "steps on my toes," if you will. The most subliminal of contradictions against my principles will arouse my debating side. A side which I hone daily. It's fun going to a school where almost no one has the slightest idea what they're talking about.

Wolfie
11-05-2007, 05:57 PM
When I am very tired and short on sleep, by 8pm or 9pm or so my brain will start to shut down. *My wife talks very fast to begin with, and I have to repeatedly tell her to slow down because my brain just can't keep up any more. *Then I can't understand what she's saying anyway. *Then I realize I've read the same paragraph of my book about six times without absorbing it and I know it's time to call it a night. *Please tell me this is not what normal people experience all day long.

DB

I hope not. Unless I pity them. Haha. I do the paragraph reading a lot too. Especially when I'm trying to understand philosophy late at night. Stupid people just can't say what they think in straight words? It doesn't bother me in the day, but late at night none of it registers. It goes in and flies out without teaching me one little thing about the mind of the author.
Oh, and don't make me feel like a retard, but what is you iq figmentum(or anyone else)? or maybe you can't tell the truth and not make me feel retarded. Well, tell the truth. Truth over Tact!

thegnat
11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Oy. I know how you all feel.

When I'm low on sleep my brain activity is like a bell curve during the day but it drops much faster than normal. I tend to get easier amused. Like with shiny objects. I'm like oooh shiiinyyyy.....oooooh aaaaah....My brain capacity for understanding subjects plummets. Though sometimes it's good for me to dumb myself down for some subjects. Like apparently I think better at 1am for econ. It doesn't mean I set my alarm for 1. I'm up usually doing work until then anyway. Unfortunately I run on an average of 5-6 hours/night. It's not good. Yet I've adapted well enough. And I nap. Sometimes I think under serious sleep deprivation I act what I might act like if I ever got drunk.