PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

INTJfemale
09-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Nice to meet you all. I'm a female INTJ who's wondering if she's really an INFJ. A friend tells me there's no way I'm an INFJ but all my career choices have been much more typical of an INFJ. Guess I need to sort it out. Test INTJ 80% of the time, INFJ 20%.

Haven't had time yet to read everyone's posts but wondering if it's true that female INTJ's have a harder time of it? Any tips?

Blse
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I have been wondering whether I'm an ISTJ (see thread in that sub-section). I ended up analyzing the cognative functions (they only way to be at least somewhat certain). The problem with tests is that they rely a lot on lifestyle and behavioral patterns that are deemed common to a certain type (although actual cognative functions may differ). And I don't know about you, but I sure am torn by some of the questions.

This site has some really great descriptions of the cognative functions:http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/introvertedintuiting.html

Welcome (I'm going to outsource the conduction of initiating rights, i.e. being subjected to sarcastic remarks which may or may not be funny, to other INTJf members this time).

Monte314
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Haven't had time yet to read everyone's posts....

There are only 641,873 posts on the Forum, and you haven't read them? What have you been doing since you got here?

*gets on Forum intercom*

"We have a slacker in the newby thread; release the weasels."

daydreamer
09-08-2009, 02:25 PM
hello and welcome :)

i'm intj female, i lead a charmed life. glad i'm intj, makes navigating this life easier i think. anyway, makes sense to me :) just be yourself, enjoy being you.

Solaris
09-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Most of the NT females here would agree it's a bit harder to be an NT female for one reason or another. It's a more stereotypical male type, so it puts us on the fringe a bit. Anyway, welcome and enjoy your exploring!

Necrosis
09-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Yes! +1 female. :-D

now back to my 4542 unread posts.

kkam
09-10-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm an INTJ female and I wouldn't have it any other way. INTJs are pretty much unconventional so if we are in a stereotypcially male role, all the better!

Storm
09-10-2009, 08:37 PM
So what are these jobs you've held?

realJim
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
welcome!

INTJfemale
09-26-2009, 05:21 PM
So what are these jobs you've held?
Coffee bar, book store, street musician, licensed day care provider in order to stay home with children, church secretary, dental office manager, social worker, therapist.

Not a technical or scientific job among them!

But I do tend to approach my work from a rational and logical orientation. This, ended up increasing productivity in the dental office and use evidence-based treatment as a therapist. Yet, not many of those jobs appear on your typical INTJ list!

Majored in Art History and Clinical Psychology.

JohnDoe
09-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice to meet you all. I'm a female INTJ who's wondering if she's really an INFJ. A friend tells me there's no way I'm an INFJ but all my career choices have been much more typical of an INFJ. Guess I need to sort it out. Test INTJ 80% of the time, INFJ 20%.

Haven't had time yet to read everyone's posts but wondering if it's true that female INTJ's have a harder time of it? Any tips?

Why are you wondering if your really an INFJ?

INTJfemale
09-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Thank you, Solaris. My challenges include thinking that a lot of typical female interests, like shopping, dating, Secret Elf stuff at work, is ridiculous and boring, which puts me at odds with a lot of my peers.

What have you seen as special challenges for the female INTJ?

Rudy
09-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Welcome, female!

What job that you go into isn't a very reliable indicator of type, to be honest. There are correlations, to be sure, but not very strong ones. The "typical" INTJ jobs are just ones that they would, on average, gravitate towards, but it's by no means exclusive.

Besides your career choices, do you have any reason to think you might be INFJ?

Check out the forum reference guide here (http://intjforum.com/faq.php?faq=guide). It has a summary of what type of posting is, and is not, allowed/encouraged on the forum. I recommend looking at it to avoid ridicule, post deletion, and possible death.

If you're looking for more info than that, you can read almost everything you need to know about the forum here (http://intjforum.com/faq.php), and a few more miscellaneous questions about forum features are answered by this thread here (http://intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=11698).

If you have questions not covered by these links, or need help with some aspect of the forum, you can create a thread in the Support & Feedback section (http://www.intjforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8), or contact one of the moderators on this list (http://www.intjforum.com/showgroups.php).

Please, enjoy!

INTJfemale
09-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Thank you for this information. I'm really new to this.

And thanks for asking about why I think I might be INFJ rather than INTJ. I guess a tendency towards working with the oppressed, social activism, and the way I can detect people's true negative motives way before anyone else makes me think I'm more INFJ. But I don't shy away from conflict and have been called harsh when giving feedback. So, I'm not sure.

Do you think it's really important? Or is it possible for someone to be on the cusp of T/F?

Storm
09-26-2009, 11:09 PM
INFJs can be harsh, and INTJs can care about the oppressed and social activism. The real question is why you like these things.

I'm a true blue INTJ and I used to teach pre-school. I loved it. Not an F.

vern
09-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Welcome INTJfemale, I read through your thread and because you seem to be struggling with your identity have given you a bit of myself to look at. I hope it helps, however I think you are over thinking it a bit, you should not try to fit yourself into any predetermined molds, we are all unique after all. Okay here goes... Oh I am no where close to F... but...

Like Storm and yourself I once worked in childcare simply because I like children, they have brilliant minds and like us love to absorb and learn and they like me and I am very good at it.

I like to help the underdog, I do not like it when people get bullied, I like it when I can effect some change for the positive for someone.

Most science's, pah, too ploddy and tedious for me, technology is fine, lots of things are fine, I like to work fast and effectively...I can manage large projects, can handle a lot of detail and must, must learn continually no matter what or where I end up exerting my efforts or become employed. I disassemble and reassemble, everything I come across whether it be my rubix cube or a business I am employed with, or an agency I volunteer with...usually I end up taking over, that sucks a bit, I end up doing too much and with clingy needy situation's where I cannot easily walk away from. (I actually shut down a not for profit because I could not find anyone to replace me as president and three years was enough, besides I had accomplished what the society had been established for.)

Now back to paid employment, I change paths more often than other people do, simply because I get bored. When I speak to people who have been working at the same job or in the same industry for years I see what I refer to as a 'death glaze' in their eyes. This is not always financially the best but money is not the most important thing in my life.

I irritate the hell out of insecure people simply because I just do what ever needs to be done, and I cannot always understand why other people cannot. My standards are perhaps too high, or not, not to me, and I disregard people's feelings when it comes to bringing work up to standard. If you cannot reach the plateau someone else will clamber over you and get there first so why coddle feelings? I interacted better and was more fulfilled when I worked in post secondary education, the students were eager and hungry to succeed, they liked my standards and they appreciated whatever I could give them and I would do whatever I could to help them, I am very proud of them. With the other staff however, I thought they sucked and could care less about them.

Family life, I am a good mother, and father too. As far as 'relationships' no good at it, and the reason is I am not only 'male' I am an 'alpha male', just because that is how it has to be, and oddly enough attracted alpha males, that is no good. Not that I pay much attention. Although I know and have interacted with many people I am often rather hard get to know, I treasure and protect my few and trusted friends.

So would I alter anything or am I displeased? No not really. Sure it would be easier to get along with people but that would mean not being myself, and that would cause me to dislike myself, so the rest can just sod off...

Enjoy the forum, you should learn lots!

INTJfemale
09-27-2009, 12:54 AM
That's a great question...why. And thank you also for sharing your life experiences. I will have a lot to sleep on tonight.

I'm still wondering, though, about being on the cusp of T/F? Do other people experience this dilemma too or is it just me? Must I pick one or the other?

JohnDoe
09-27-2009, 01:00 AM

And thanks for asking about why I think I might be INFJ rather than INTJ. I guess a tendency towards working with the oppressed, social activism, and the way I can detect people's true negative motives way before anyone else makes me think I'm more INFJ. But I don't shy away from conflict and have been called harsh when giving feedback. So, I'm not sure.

Do you think it's really important? Or is it possible for someone to be on the cusp of T/F?

Do you detect motives by observation or by feelings that just pop into your head?

Edit: I don't think you are an INFJ from what you have posted unless you are being very selective with what you tell us about yourself.

Rudy
09-27-2009, 01:04 AM

You could certainly be an INTJ with a strong F; there's certainly plenty of those. And there's nothing about being an INTJ that says you can't be emotional, or an activist, or caring.

I'm pretty confident in saying you're not an INFJ, mainly because of the fact that the first and only thing you appear to be looking for in evaluating your type is your career, and how you deal with it. You haven't spoken at all about how you interact with people, or their emotions. An INFJ would likely have thought of those things more in evaluating their type.

torotech
09-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Welcome fellow Noob.

I get what your saying about not being completely sure of your type. For me, my mood swings and other circumstances affect my least dominant type (Sometimes a J, sometimes a P). Especially if I get frustrated or inpatient. Naturally, in normal circumstances, I fall back to an INTJ - A long time ago I was even pegged as an INTJ by several friends before I took the test.

INTJfemale
09-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Maybe I have a hard time accepting myself as an INTJ, in part because I once signed up for an INTJ list-serve and had to quit, because all the comments were just so sarcastic and critical. Maybe it's hard to admit that I'm the same way!

I like what Rudy said about being an INTJ with a strong F, it's only recently that I began testing F every now and then, so maybe I'm just getting more in touch with feelings.

I guess, to be honest, it kind of hurt my feelings to be seen as such a strong INTJ, since I want to be kinder, nicer, and more socially adept than INTJ's are supposed to be!

Johndoe, I'd have to say it's intuition guided by observation and feelings that help me learn about people's character and intentions. Gut feelings, I think they're called.

Toro, thanks for the validation. I wish I were more P, that J part I've never doubted!

I really appreciate all of your comments.

Rudy
09-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I guess, to be honest, it kind of hurt my feelings to be seen as such a strong INTJ, since I want to be kinder, nicer, and more socially adept than INTJ's are supposed to be!

Well, don't make the mistake of thinking that such stereotypes are universally applicable, but it is a worthy goal to try to rise above them. One of the best uses of MBTI, I think, is in recognizing what may be your own weaknesses, and working to improve them. For example, INTJs do have a tendency to not take the feelings of others into account (emphasis on tendency, not universally applicable.) If you use this knowledge to consciously work on that aspect of your personality, I think that a very good thing.

rwyatt365
09-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Think of MBTI as being a set of guideposts along your path of discovery. You are not restricted to tread one path, or another - you may change your direction because of your experiences, situations, or fancy. The only thing certain is that you are who you are.

Welcome.