PDA

View Full Version : Your fandoms

darynthe
05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
This is thread to discuss fandoms. You can complain about their good and bad traits and how they explode over the internet. Also please describe to which fandoms you belong to and what is your role in them. Are you an important personality or unknown? Do you write fanfic? Read it?

This is my fandom history:

1999-2002 The Xfiles fandom. I belonged to the Scully/Skinner shippers and reunited the biggest group of these fans under the mailing list "Scuttlebutts". We had in the best of times 1000 posts per day. I wrote a few fanfics too and had a mailing list. Friends with prominent shippers. I guess I still meet some people from there all over the net from time to time. Good old times.

2004-2008 The Harry Potter fandom. Medium known fan belonging to the Harmonians. Mod in different forums, wrote a well known article on it, wanked a couple of times at least, promoted the LT boycott on COSfoums.

The sound of music fandom. 2006 Very small fandom. Wrote the only SOM M rated fanfic on fanfiction.net. Edited a vid. Pretty unknown fan.

Buffy 2007-2008 Very latecomer. Friendly with all known fans sided with Spike. Contributor of photoart galore for Buffy/Spike. Wrote quite a few essays. Belong to many communities. Did at least 5 videos.

Bones 2009 Anonymous fan. I find this fandom pretty dumb. Mostly squeeing girls. They are sweet but yet no nice discussion except at TWoP. One vid.

Twilight 2009. Writing a couple of fanfics. Extremely sad fandom. Not recommended to anyone.

Rudy
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Alright; I'll be the second to expose my geekiness to the world.

Ranma & other animes. This was the first fandom I got into, when I was... maybe 12? Read a lot of fanfic, though looking back at it now, most of it was intolerably bad.

Buffy. This is my long-time favorite. Love that show. Favor Xander/Faith, Buffy/Angel.

Harry Potter for a while. Like darythe, favored Harry/Hermione. Became disgusted with the series from the 6th book onward; abandoned the fandom.

Pretender. Yay, Jarod!

House. Anything but House/Cuddy is good with me.

Baldur's Gate. Series of D&D computer games with compelling characters; like the fanfic.

Final Fantasy X.

P&P fanfic at the Derbyshire Writer's Guild.

Hmm... there's probably more. That's enough geekiness for now, though.

darynthe
05-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Alright; I'll be the second to expose my geekiness to the world.

Ranma & other animes. This was the first fandom I got into, when I was... maybe 12? Read a lot of fanfic, though looking back at it now, most of it was intolerably bad.

Buffy. This is my long-time favorite. Love that show. Favor Xander/Faith, Buffy/Angel.

Harry Potter for a while. Like darythe, favored Harry/Hermione. Became disgusted with the series from the 6th book onward; abandoned the fandom.

Pretender. Yay, Jarod!

Baldur's Gate. Series of D&D computer games with compelling characters; like the fanfic.

Final Fantasy X.

P&P fanfic at the Derbyshire Writer's Guild.

Hmm... there's probably more. That's enough geekiness for now, though.

Yay! Ok, we have in common three fandoms. I also went for a while to the P&P fanfic Derbyshire. But I got a little tired of it very soon, the AUs were pretty boring, don't know why. Therefore I didn't list it.

I am so suprised you liked Harmony too. Did you visit Porkey? They had the most amazing essays over there. I think that the mistake we all H/Hr fans committed was to think the series was better than it was. I made an MBTI poll among the harmonians and came up with a bunch of NFPs. Although the leader of the group, whose name I won't mention, was an ESTJ. Weird.

Yeah, book six was a complete shame. I didn't read book 7. I hate too much Ron and Ginny Weasley. What do you think about them?

Storm
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah, book six was a complete shame. I didn't read book 7. I hate too much Ron and Ginny Weasley. What do you think about them?

Even though the question was not directed at me. I have no real opinion of Ron. If he was a real person I'd probably respond if asked my opinion "Cute kid."

Ginny was not developed at all. I hated that Harry got together with her. He barely knew her, they never talked, they just made out a few times as teenagers. It's like Rowling wanted Harry to get with someone so she created a fluff character for him. Annoying.

I also have a whole Snape rant, but I won't go into that here.

I resent the use of the word "fandom," but I will say that I am a huge fan of all things Doctor Who and Terry Pratchett.

BlackMita
05-13-2009, 01:47 PM
The only 'fandoms' I was involved in were Pokemon (during elementary school I liked the games, bought the cards, and had those small figurines) and Metroid (still like the games, joined a forum specifically to discuss the franchise/story/theories, and tried making a Metroid fangame about 6 times over a period of 3 years).

darynthe
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Even though the question was not directed at me. I have no real opinion of Ron. If he was a real person I'd probably respond if asked my opinion "Cute kid."

Ginny was not developed at all. I hated that Harry got together with her. He barely knew her, they never talked, they just made out a few times as teenagers. It's like Rowling wanted Harry to get with someone so she created a fluff character for him. Annoying.

I also have a whole Snape rant, but I won't go into that here.

I resent the use of the word "fandom," but I will say that I am a huge fan of all things Doctor Who and Terry Pratchett.
Please do the Snape rant. I thought he was the only character that never got negative critics.

Why do you resent the word fandom? Fandom is not the same as fan. The fandoms are groups on the internet who discuss and do activities related to a work of fiction. You can be a fan without belonging to a fandom.

I agree 200% with your opinion of Ginny. It made Harry seem less than what he was. She was just a pretty face. He had so much interaction in a positive way with Hermione and they were equals (not that that makes a relationship in real life, but it does in books). She was pretty much a Mary Sue too. I remember many Ginny lovers accused those who didn't like her of being jealous because we are ugly and were unpopular in highschool.

But my, her retcon was rather disgusting. From stupid and timid to extroverted Barbi, bitch-slapping, sporty, spunky two dimensional character. And I heard about the epilogue to the seventh book. Albus Severus Potter! Hermione washing the underwear of Ron. :cry: She should have been a Minister of Magic at least!

darynthe added to this post, 0 minutes and 51 seconds later...

The only 'fandoms' I was involved in were Pokemon (during elementary school I liked the games, bought the cards, and had those small figurines) and Metroid (still like the games, joined a forum specifically to discuss the franchise/story/theories, and tried making a Metroid fangame about 6 times over a period of 3 years).

Not familiar with them, but I hear that the Pokemon fandom is huge. Maybe third to Star Wards and Harry Potter.

Valiyn
05-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Mostly Firefly/Serenity. I'll do a few comics and illustrations here and there. I believe the 'verse deserves more life poured into it despite the evil that is FOX and the fans are the best to accomplish this. There are even fan-based scripts of what the end of season one and a theorize season two would have been (based off serenity) that are very well done.

Doppelbock
05-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Rush fandom, 1980 to present. A regular poster on alt.music.rush since about 2002. Author of numerous excellent Rush song parodies.

Lost fandom, ~2007 to present. Was a latecomer to the lost-theories.com website a few months before it shut down.

Storm
05-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Please do the Snape rant. I thought he was the only character that never got negative critics.

My Snape Rant: (spoilers ahead for those who haven't read the last book)

Snape was by and far my favorite character throughout the series, until the 7th book that is. I couldn't wait to see what dark secrets would be revealed about him. He was the only character with any complexity. He's working for the good guys, but obviously use to or still does favor the bad guy's cause. Throughout the series, the reader was invited to figure him out. He was extremely intelligent and creative; despite his dark mannerisms, seemed to really believe in the good cause. Misunderstood, perhaps, is the right word. I was hoping it would be revealed that he came over to the good side for some moral reason. But alas, it was not to be. We learn that Snape is just as shallow as Rowling's other characters. His entire reason for helping out the good side was because of some sick childhood crush on a girl who didn't love him back. It also made no sense that he would have a crush on this mudblood girl and, yet, still stand by the hateful values he had been taught. It would have been more believable if his love for a mudblood woman had caused him to denounce the his values. Remember, we learn at one point that he was a somewhat rebellious child, so strict adherence to a value system which clashes with his personal observations makes no sense.

Real love, and not a sick infatuation, would also have been better. Actually, there are countless ways he could have been written that would have made more sense and truer to his character. That's all for now.

Why do you resent the word fandom? Fandom is not the same as fan. The fandoms are groups on the internet who discuss and do activities related to a work of fiction. You can be a fan without belonging to a fandom.

I thought that's what fandom meant, but then some of the responses made me think the definition meant simply fans who gather in other respects. It's also a bit unclear because someone may lurk at such sites or use such sites to get ideas (there are several sites, for instance, with knitting patterns for the 4th Doctor's scarf), but not actively participate. Are they a member of the fandom? What about someone who obsesses over something, but doesn't join an internet community about it? Or what about the person who has a group of real life friends who accomplish the same thing as an internet community? Why should they be excluded from the conversation here? I guess I'd just prefer the plain old word "fanatic." Otherwise I couldn't technically be posting in this thread. ;)

Rohsiph
05-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I've tended to avoid fandoms . . . have pretty much always looked down on fanfics. Yet, I think I've finally been drawn into LOST fandom since last year. I don't really contribute outside of the topic here, but I always find myself asking anyone new I meet if they watch the show, hoping they're as obsessive as I am. No luck yet.

Suppose I could also say I'm within the fandom of The Protomen. They're a band that perform a rock opera based loosely on the Mega Man games. I went on a weekend roadtrip to see them live two weeks before finals in April, 2007 and the show was as close to a 'spiritual experience' as I can recall. Have seen them two more times since then, eagerly anticipating their second album due before year's end.

dalidaisy
05-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Ok, I had to look fandom up. I'm so out of the loop.
Fandom (from the noun fan and the affix -dom, as in kingdom, freedom, etc.) is a term used to refer to a subculture composed of fans characterized by a feeling of sympathy and camaraderie with others who share a common interest. A fandom can grow up centered around any area of human interest or activity. The subject of fan interest can be narrowly defined, focused on something like an individual celebrity; or wide, encompassing entire hobbies, genres or fashions. Fandom as a term can also be used in a broad sense to refer to an interconnected social network of individual fandoms, many of which overlap. While it is now used to apply to groups of people fascinated with any subject, the term has its roots in those with an enthusiastic appreciation for sports. The Webster's Dictionary traces the usage of the term back as far as 1903.
I guess mine is the Dave Matthews Band.

Oh, and Arrested Development.

Valielen
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I had to google "fandom" as I had no idea what it meant.

Mine were:
- DragonBall, DragonBall Z, DragonBall GT. In our group we assigned each other characters. I was Videl. Also I drew all the characters and sold them at school. Made enough money to buy lots of cakes. Collected the character cards and sticker books. Not much internet usage back then.

- Rurouni Kenshin. Didn't do as much drawing as with the above, but I was fully connected to the internet by then and was monitoring the Kenshin ring.

- Tolkien. It was a local group. We would lend each other the rarer books. We would also write some fanfic. That's where my nickname came from. From actual characters, I would write stories featuring Melian mostly. I was rubbish at the poetry though.

Stratego
05-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't have a precise chronological record for my fandoms (and I've had many), but I'll try to go from earliest to lastest.

Star Trek (Original Series)
Star Wars (The Sequels)
Dune
Star Trek: TNG
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
X-Files
Xena : Warrior Princess
Harry Potter
Dungeons and Dragons
Tons of Anime (which calls for a seperate list)

As for anime:

Ranma 1/2
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Inuyasha
Cowboy Bebop
Gensoumaden Saiyuki
Chrno Crusade
Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
Chevalier D'eon
Gilgamesh
Elfen Lied
D.N. Angel
Bleach
Trigun
Wolf's Rain

I'll stop there before I make a larger, and more glorious fool my myself--large and glorious enough to see from space. Yep, I'm a Geek. Born and Bred, Deep in the Bone.

playthestatic
05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
My fandoms!

I'm a huge slasher. I'm probably the most active in the Harry Potter fandom - Harry/Draco all the way. And by active I mean no one knows of my existence, but I know of everyone else's. The de-lurking line is somewhat hard to cross.

I dabbled a little bit in Final Fantasy VII after watching Advent Children and playing the old PS game, but I strayed away and have yet to return.

And of course, Pokemon's another of my fandoms. The quality of fanfic there is extremely limited, though, so I mostly rely on the Harry Potter fandom to bring the good fic. I still watch Pokemon, though, and play the games like a mad thing. Competitive battling is so very addicting, and watching the anime makes me feel temporarily more optimistic about the world. Aww, Pokemon. Such nostalgia. I'm chuffed that they're remaking the Gold and Silver generation games for the DS as well. As for ships - Ash/Gary, because I cannot resist rival pairings. And come on, Gary became a researcher. In a white lab coat. Sadly, how that is totally relevant escapes me at the moment.

darynthe
05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
My Snape Rant: (spoilers ahead for those who haven't read the last book)

Snape was by and far my favorite character throughout the series, until the 7th book that is. I couldn't wait to see what dark secrets would be revealed about him. He was the only character with any complexity. He's working for the good guys, but obviously use to or still does favor the bad guy's cause. Throughout the series, the reader was invited to figure him out. He was extremely intelligent and creative; despite his dark mannerisms, seemed to really believe in the good cause. Misunderstood, perhaps, is the right word. I was hoping it would be revealed that he came over to the good side for some moral reason. But alas, it was not to be. We learn that Snape is just as shallow as Rowling's other characters. His entire reason for helping out the good side was because of some sick childhood crush on a girl who didn't love him back. It also made no sense that he would have a crush on this mudblood girl and, yet, still stand by the hateful values he had been taught. It would have been more believable if his love for a mudblood woman had caused him to denounce the his values. Remember, we learn at one point that he was a somewhat rebellious child, so strict adherence to a value system which clashes with his personal observations makes no sense.

Honestly I never saw any redeeming quality in him. Maybe I am less subtle than I thought. I just don't see how someone who gets off on putting down a child can be that interesting. It rather made him pathetic. Of course as a bad guy was one thousand times better than Voldemort. That bad guy was made of paper.

So, it was basically a Limerance. And he didn't like it, he treated her badly, I bet she didn't even know that he liked her. Maybe it was just sexual attraction. (Here again, I didn't read the last book).

I thought that's what fandom meant, but then some of the responses made me think the definition meant simply fans who gather in other respects. It's also a bit unclear because someone may lurk at such sites or use such sites to get ideas (there are several sites, for instance, with knitting patterns for the 4th Doctor's scarf), but not actively participate. Are they a member of the fandom? What about someone who obsesses over something, but doesn't join an internet community about it? Or what about the person who has a group of real life friends who accomplish the same thing as an internet community? Why should they be excluded from the conversation here? I guess I'd just prefer the plain old word "fanatic." Otherwise I couldn't technically be posting in this thread. ;)

I think it is necesary to have a feeling of belonging to be in a fandom, just as you need that to belong to any other culture or sub-culture. The usual usege of fandom is mostly now for Sci-fi and TV shows. Before the internet it was by snail mail and fanzines. Now those are almost dead.

However in real life there are conventions. I may go to one of this in June and I will become a total nerd then I guess. I want to see James Marsters play. The usual fandom people in conventions are Trekkies or guys dressed up like Star Wars characters.

Nobody is excluded on the conversation here. We will discuss in general terms. However it will be good for everyone to know that there is slang for fandoms, so if you don't understand some words just ask.

Anyway, the study of what is a fandom, how it behaves, etc is quite sociologic. There are metafandomers that devote themselves quite philosophically to it.

Note also that fandoms are groups that hold a certain degree of power and a voice. For instance a lot of the fandoms supported the writers strike in Hollywood. Some have gotten some cancelled shows back. I think this is a great trend, otherwise watching TV is too pasive an activity.

darynthe added to this post, 3 minutes and 19 seconds later...

I'll stop there before I make a larger, and more glorious fool my myself--large and glorious enough to see from space. Yep, I'm a Geek. Born and Bred, Deep in the Bone.

You are not alone sister. ;) But I notice that INTJs are not the typical trekkie. Something is wrong wtih that stereotype.

BTW, do you actually post to all those fandoms? I would be very impressed.

Stratego
05-13-2009, 06:45 PM
You are not alone sister. ;) But I notice that INTJs are not the typical trekkie. Something is wrong wtih that stereotype.

BTW, do you actually post to all those fandoms? I would be very impressed.

No, certainly not (thank goodness)...I have something (a very little something) of a life. My fandom comes and goes in phases, and for while I'm all into this one and then later on I get involved in that one, etc.

Right now this forum is like my fandom...(and I may be getting a little obsessed, I tell you.)

spiritdetectivegirl
05-13-2009, 07:12 PM
It's like this post was made for me, haha. These are in no particualar order.

-When I was young my first biggest fandom were Dinosaurs. I wanted everything to do with them, movies, books, TV specials-you name it. I also had a huge Shark, Reptile, Canine, and Big Cat fixation.

-Vampires and most anything to do with the supernatural are of interest, mine and my friend's. We had a RPG about them. And this fandom melded with my next fandom..

-Anime/manga was my second biggest fandom. Starting with Sailor Moon when I was a wee lass of five. Then it was Dragonball Z, Inu Yasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Ranma 1/2, Helsing, Wolf's Rain, Blue Seed, Full Metal Alchemist, and many more. My best friend and I had another RPG we'd play with just ourselves revolving around every anime we'd just about come across. It went on untill we were seventeen.

-Mythology got big with me during my otaku years as well. First Greek and Roman pantheons. Then my father introduced me to Norse mythology--and it exploded from there. I love to read the old stories of ancient times. Athena was my first real role model. I wanted to be wise, strong, and virginal just like her. I still love my myths, and still want more.

-Also the independent Comic ElfQuest by Windi And Richard Pini. My father bought me the back issues so I could read the whole story. Reading this also helped me want to draw and create my own stories--due to Windi being the artist behind the whole thing.

-Stargate Atlantis was/is my third biggest fandom and it soon fallowed close in suit with Star Trek TGN, Enterprise, and the Origianl series. I had many crushes when it came to Star Trek. I remember my first one was Com. Riker, then Data, Malcome, Spock, Bones, Sulu and Mr. Checkov. They all still have a soft spot with me.

-Also I have gotten into classic literature and poetry a great deal. I'm currently trying to get my hands on all that I can. So far H.P. Lovecraft and The Time Machine are my favorites. Needless to say, I also like writing and languages...and accents.

-Video games are a passion for me too. Mostly RPG's but if I like it and it's decent, than I'll play it.

-Zombies have gotten big with me as of late. I used to be terrified of them, but now I can't get enough of them. Books, comics, movies. The undead rock.

-Also the goth scene interests me. I like the style--but then again I like most anything old when it comes to clothes. Everything from corsets to steam punk. Ugh, I'm a history whore.

Uh, the end? Or to be continured. Hah.

spiritdetectivegirl added to this post, 1 minutes and 13 seconds later...

No, certainly not (thank goodness)...I have something (a very little something) of a life. My fandom comes and goes in phases, and for while I'm all into this one and then later on I get involved in that one, etc.

I second this notion!

jikin
05-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't get too crazy with them, but I admit to Star Trek, Fruits Basket, Death Note, Lost, X-Men, comic books in general, Muppets, and Pern.

Pretender. Yay, Jarod!

I love the Pretender! I rarely find anyone who knows what it is. I've been meaning to re-watch the series......

Arminius
05-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Stargate(SG-1 and Atlantis) is the one I mainly belonged to. For a while I even played a browser game based on Stargate, as well as did role playing on the game forums. Had to stop with the game and all about a year back due to real life requiring more of my attention.

I really like the Goauld, they are my favorite bad guys, closely followed by the Wraith. I detest the Ori, they have very little character, and you could just set a recording saying "hallowed are the Ori" to a loop and get the same effect. I also don't much like the whole ascension angle. One of the things I liked the most about the series early on was that it didn't really get into mystical stuff. Sure, the Goauld posed as gods, but they just had advanced technology and were scaring the crap out of bronze age people. Ascension wasn't too bad early on, but the Ori are just blown out of proportion. The ancients also annoy me. They are a bunch of arrogant pussies. They deserved being eaten by the Wraith.

I didn't really get too involved with Star Trek. I just watched the series on tv, mostly TNG and DS9. TOS is a bit corny, but still pretty decent. I also read any and all Star trek novels I could find at the library.

For Star Wars, all I really do is read about it in Barnes and Noble. I read the books describing weapons, technology, planets, alien species, and also a little of the expanded universe.

I also like Tolkein. The Hobbit was the first real book I ever read(ie not a 10 page long childrens book). Then I read LOTR. Most books I just read once and I'm done with them. These two are among the few books I reread about once a year, they are just that good.

D&D is kind of new for me, largely because growing up my parents were convinced it was some sort of gateway to the occult. I've only recently been able to play it, just found a group this semester. Still I enjoy it quite a bit.

This isn't really a coherent fandom, but I also really like Girl Genius (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.). It's a steampunk themed webcomic. I wasn't really expecting to like it when I started reading, since I don't traditionally go in for steampunk. I read the archive in one sitting, and was hooked. Give it a try, and remember, any plan where you lose your hat, is a bad plan.

Zirka
05-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not really active in any of the fandoms I've associated with over the years, aside from reading fanfiction, I don't really do much.

It started with CSI for me, but after awhile I got bored with it and haven't watched past the 6th or 7th season.

Then came NCIS, which I'm still a big fan of. They have humor, some science, and consistently good writing.

I've watched Bones from the very beginning, although this season has really tested my patience when it comes to the quality of the episodes.

Bones 2009 Anonymous fan. I find this fandom pretty dumb. Mostly squeeing girls. They are sweet but yet no nice discussion except at TWoP. One vid.

Totally agree with you on that. The fanfiction is generally OOC fluff (which caters to the sqeeing girls), but there are a few awesome writers, like labsquint. She mainly writes case-based chapter fics with a Booth/Brennan relationship, and lots of angst. It makes for very good reading.

Because I liked DB from Bones, I ended up watching all of Angel last year, during exams. And this year, during exams I started watching Buffy. About halfway through the 5th season now, and I've got to say, Spike is growing on me.

I'm also a big fan of The Big Bang Theory, and Castle.

Rudy
05-14-2009, 11:39 AM
And this year, during exams I started watching Buffy. About halfway through the 5th season now, and I've got to say, Spike is growing on me.

Personally, I thought Buffy peaked with the 3rd season, with the 6th and seventh seasons very mediocre.

uncon
05-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Ok, I had to look fandom up. I'm so out of the loop.

I guess mine is the Dave Matthews Band.

Oh, and Arrested Development.

Oh no, you have confirmed my fear that I am old. I had to look it up just to be sure also. I think this is the result of having grow up partially during the 70's. It seems like we were in dirt shacks with short wave radios and grainy b&w tv's for entertainment. Yes, the era before corn syrup was in all foods with traveling salemen knocking at your door and milk men.

Maybe that's why I can't get into fandom although I definitely loved the X-files and I now love Chuck. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy though. I like Big Brother (or liked) - the reality show. Oh, and Wonderfalls (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.).

darynthe
05-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I've watched Bones from the very beginning, although this season has really tested my patience when it comes to the quality of the episodes.

Totally agree with you on that. The fanfiction is generally OOC fluff (which caters to the sqeeing girls), but there are a few awesome writers, like labsquint. She mainly writes case-based chapter fics with a Booth/Brennan relationship, and lots of angst. It makes for very good reading.

Did you see the final ep yesterday? Maybe you are in the States so you will tonight. So let me tell you that some fans are planning to boycott today's airing because the episode was extremely bad and they downright lied to the fans. They sorta retconned everything.

Because I liked DB from Bones, I ended up watching all of Angel last year, during exams. And this year, during exams I started watching Buffy. About halfway through the 5th season now, and I've got to say, Spike is growing on me.

Angel is not very interesting, although I watched season 5 and the humor was nice. DB really looks much better in Bones, his true sense of humor and strenght flow then. I am a big fan of his in Bones.

Oh, let me know how you like Buffy. My least favorite seasons are 1, 3 and 7. My favorite season is 6. The darkest season in any series. I totally LOVE it.

I miss Buffy so much, there is not such good quality TV anymore.

Spike is my humble opinion, the best character on TV ever.

darynthe added to this post, 2 minutes and 58 seconds later...

Right now this forum is like my fandom...(and I may be getting a little obsessed, I tell you.)

Well being in this forum makes me regret wasting so much of my time and energy in those fandoms. Real life discussion, science is so much better. You get your kicks off in a fandom getting into silly wars and theorizing possibilities. It is very narrow.

darynthe added to this post, 1 minutes and 36 seconds later...

Personally, I thought Buffy peaked with the 3rd season, with the 6th and seventh seasons very mediocre.

I agree with the 7th being quite bad, except for the episode of conversations with dead people. What is good about Season 3?

Rudy
05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree with the 7th being quite bad, except for the episode of conversations with dead people. What is good about Season 3?

The Mayor, for one. Pure awesome.

Faith, for another.

Plus, I thought the season had the wittiest dialogue.

darynthe
05-14-2009, 02:20 PM
The Mayor, for one. Pure awesome.

Faith, for another.

Plus, I thought the season had the wittiest dialogue.

The major was total gold. The best thing about Buffy were the bad guys, they had such a amazing sense of humor, so self-deprecating, they're intelligent, self-aware and even had a good side that made you not sure if you love them or hate them.

I never got much into Faith. Don't know why.

Rudy
05-14-2009, 02:23 PM
The major was total gold. The best thing about Buffy were the bad guys, they had such a amazing sense of humor, so self-deprecating, they're intelligent, self-aware and even had a good side that made you not sure if you love them or hate them.Well, I'm not sure the mayor could be said to have a "good" side, but otherwise I agree. :)

I never got much into Faith. Don't know why.
It probably has a lot to do with the fact that you don't have a penis. Similarly, the vast majority of Spike fans are female. Gee; I wonder why. :laugh:

Zirka
05-14-2009, 04:11 PM

I really liked season 3, what with the mayor and Faith storylines. Season 4 was ok, and so far season 5 is nothing really special. Glory is a really annoying villain in my opinion. However, I have a tendency to finish what I start, so I'll most likely end up watching Buffy to the end, especially seeing as its summer vacation right now.

Did you see the final ep yesterday? Maybe you are in the States so you will tonight. So let me tell you that some fans are planning to boycott today's airing because the episode was extremely bad and they downright lied to the fans. They sorta retconned everything.

I'm in Canada, so I saw it yesterday night. It was horrible. 40 minutes of a crappy AU, and then 2 minutes of real life, with a really crappy plot twist. What did they lie about? I don't follow spoilers or rumors so I'm rather out of the loop.

Angel is not very interesting, although I watched season 5 and the humor was nice. DB really looks much better in Bones, his true sense of humor and strenght flow then. I am a big fan of his in Bones.

I agree with you, he is really best in Bones, especially when they let him play a smart FBI agent, and not just cheap comedic relief. I think season 5 was Angel's best season, but the other seasons were quite good, with the exception of season 4 because of the Jasmine storyline.

Oh, let me know how you like Buffy. My least favorite seasons are 1, 3 and 7. My favorite season is 6. The darkest season in any series. I totally LOVE it.

I miss Buffy so much, there is not such good quality TV anymore.

Spike is my humble opinion, the best character on TV ever.

See above for what I've watched so far. Why do you like Spike so much? From what I've seen of him, he's ok.

darynthe
05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Well, I'm not sure the mayor could be said to have a "good" side, but otherwise I agree. :)

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that you don't have a penis. Similarly, the vast majority of Spike fans are female. Gee; I wonder why. :laugh:

The major tried to counsel Angel about the age differences and problems that would arise from being with a human. I thought that was generous.

About the above remark, it is funny considering my freudian slip in my blog yesterday. LOL
I don't think that being a female affects my love of a character. I really love Buffy. Plus I'd thought you would be able to appreciate male beauty too given what I know about you.

Rudy
05-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't think that being a female affects my love of a character. I really love Buffy. Plus I'd thought you would be able to appreciate male beauty too given what I know about you.

If you think a character is sexy, it is going to affect your love of that character, whether you want it to or not.

As to my bisexuality, which you are alluding to, Spike isn't "my type," as they say. I lean towards women more than men, and the number of men I am attracted to is much more restricted; "bad boys" are not among them.

darynthe
05-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm in Canada, so I saw it yesterday night. It was horrible. 40 minutes of a crappy AU, and then 2 minutes of real life, with a really crappy plot twist. What did they lie about? I don't follow spoilers or rumors so I'm rather out of the loop.

They all said that the sex scene would take place in reality. All shippers got their underware in a twist. I saw people cry. Seriously, not because of the fake sex, which apparently is often used in TV these days (I don't watch much TV aside from Bones). But they were very sick of the bad writting and the use of interviews with false bits to bait in ratings.

See above for what I've watched so far. Why do you like Spike so much? From what I've seen of him, he's ok.

He is very complex. I like the way he changes, defying his nature, just for love for his enemy. Fantastic. I love especially the episode Fool For Love, which is as good or better than many movies outthere. To see him as the shy poet, then a killer, then seeing him after all those years, so suave and yet, he is the same man, broken by a woman. You saw him taking that rifle and going to kill Buffy, and finds her sobbing and instead sits and hugs her. I love men of strong passions. *squee*

I really like the way he is so camp. Outsider. I guess I relate to that. His fast wit, the way he sacrificed himself for Buffy in Season 5 with Glory, the way in Season 6 he waited and counted the days Buffy was dead. I love his unchecked sensuality. I like his corruption too.
And the way he finds redemption.

For some of his complexity read this:
Spike and the Aesthetics of Camp (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.)

Zirka
05-15-2009, 12:06 PM
They all said that the sex scene would take place in reality. All shippers got their underware in a twist. I saw people cry. Seriously, not because of the fake sex, which apparently is often used in TV these days (I don't watch much TV aside from Bones). But they were very sick of the bad writting and the use of interviews with false bits to bait in ratings.
Well, then I'm all the more happy I don't read spoliers, or follow what the writers are saying much at all. I'm also very sick of the bad writing, but since I'd gone in with no previous expectations, I wasn't so severely disappointed. Other than the fact that we got a shit episode once again, which given the writers track record as of late, wasn't much of a surprise at all.

He is very complex. I like the way he changes, defying his nature, just for love for his enemy. Fantastic. I love especially the episode Fool For Love, which is as good or better than many movies out there. To see him as the shy poet, then a killer, then seeing him after all those years, so suave and yet, he is the same man, broken by a woman. You saw him taking that rifle and going to kill Buffy, and finds her sobbing and instead sits and hugs her. I love men of strong passions. *squee*

I really like the way he is so camp. Outsider. I guess I relate to that. His fast wit, the way he sacrificed himself for Buffy in Season 5 with Glory, the way in Season 6 he waited and counted the days Buffy was dead. I love his unchecked sensuality. I like his corruption too.
And the way he finds redemption.

For some of his complexity read this:
Spike and the Aesthetics of Camp (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.)

I really liked him in Fool For Love, especially the background as to how he was sired. Now, I haven't seen all of season 5 yet, nor have I seen any of season 6, so I'm going to hold off on reading that link until I don't have to worry about spoilers (I've partially spoiled myself by watching Angel first, but I'm trying not to spoil myself beyond that.)

jikin
05-15-2009, 02:01 PM

While I don't consider myself a true fan, I do enjoy the show. I've noticed it's been going a bit down hill. There's been too much of *gasp!* another twist!!! stuff going on with all of the characters. There's also been a bit too much angst this last season, and, is it just me, or has Brennon been getting dumber and dumber regarding social skills and relationships? I remember her realizing a lot more when the series started out.
The season finale made me want to cringe. It was just way too obvious, and the soap opera-like cliff hanger was angering.

-That's the end of my rant.

darynthe
05-15-2009, 02:05 PM
While I don't consider myself a true fan, I do enjoy the show. I've noticed it's been going a bit down hill. There's been too much of *gasp!* another twist!!! stuff going on with all of the characters. There's also been a bit too much angst this last season, and, is it just me, or has Brennon been getting dumber and dumber regarding social skills and relationships? I remember her realizing a lot more when the series started out.
The season finale made me want to cringe. It was just way too obvious, and the soap opera-like cliff hanger was angering.

-That's the end of my rant.

Yes, they just tanked. I think this series is over. I swear if Booth had been blind instead of amnesic, it would have worked, I wonder why the AU episode sucked so much. All the interaction seemed fake, they lost all chemestry! Which was unbelievable, as David and Emily exude it so naturally.

skycloud86
06-20-2009, 01:51 PM
1997 - 2003 = Buffy fandom. A very popular programme amongst my friends at high school, but I wouldn't watch it nowadays if it was on now.

1998 - now = X Files fandom. I loved the programme and have a boxset of the entire 9 seasons and the first movie on DVD. I've written some fanfiction for TXF, but not much.

1998 - 2006 = Will & Grace fandom. A brilliant and hilarious sitcom that was one of the better sitcoms to come out of the late 1990s.

2002 - now = 24 fandom. A lot of people who liked the X Files went on to like 24, and most of my fanfiction is for this fandom. I own the first 6 seasons on DVD and most of the 24 novels.

2009 - = NCIS fandom. I did watch a few episodes of this a few years ago, but only really just started watching it this year. I have the first four seasons on DVD and I've written a few fanfics.

Rudy
06-20-2009, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't watch it nowadays if it was on now.

Why ever not? Buffy rocks!

skycloud86
06-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Why ever not? Buffy rocks!

It's still a good programme, but if it started nowadays, I probably wouldn't be interested because I'm more interested in other genres. I still watch the occasional repeat.

Paragon Vixen
09-05-2010, 08:43 AM
bumping like woah so I don't needlessly make a new thread.

I'm part of the Tekken video game series Fandom, although lately I more socialize with other fandom members online rather than take an active interest in Tekken itself.

And this thread seems to be fiction only, the only other fandom I'm part of is the Jedward fandom, but they're real people so idk.

INTJewel
09-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Hannibal Lecter.

I've been writing Lecterfic since '01 and am very active in the fandom. It's dwindled over the years - I'm the only one left from the flood after 'Hannibal' came out - but we pick up a few noobs every now and then.

Smokescreen
09-06-2010, 01:28 PM
In high school my big thing was Japanese anime. I used to watch whatever I could get my hands on and would attend Otakon (the big yearly anime convention) every year since I live in Baltimore.

When I graduated, I gradually moved away from anime and got more into comic books. I don't really immerse myself in either one these but still enjoy them on occasion.

My entire life I've been an unapologetic video game fanboy and I doubt that will ever change. It endured and outlasted both my anime and comic book phases, after all.

Within the last few years I've been getting into Robert E. Howard's writing (Conan, in particular) as well as Games Workshop's Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000. I like them more for the lore than anything (I've read a good number of WH and 40k novels and played most of the video games that have been released since 04), because I don't have the disposable income to play the tabletop game.

Merle
09-07-2010, 06:06 PM

ha, I was definitely a House/Cuddy shipper for a while.

I've never gotten massively involved in fandom, but I skulk around the edges a lot, and enjoy the fruits of others' labour.

I guess my first fandom was His Dark Materials... not a massive amount going on there, but some nice literary fic being written.

Then, Voyager... a party I came seriously late to, but that just meant all the more spoils for me.

Then, House/Cuddy as mentioned.

Then, Battlestar - I was a sad Adama/Roslin shipper for a while, but I switched to Admiral Cain and anyone lol

But, that fell by the wayside two or so years ago...

I haven't had a new obsession or ship for ages....maybe it's time for something, any recommendations for good shows? - I'm into True Blood, but the whole thing is like its written as fanfic, thus I can't bring myself to read any actual fanfic of the show.

lupinskitten
09-07-2010, 07:10 PM
"Smallville." I was an enormous Lexana shipper for years -- created music videos, wrote fan fics, made icons, the whole nine yards. I still have a soft spot for them in my heart, even though the writers seriously screwed everything up in the sixth season and all but extended their middle finger at the fans.

"Buffy." I loved Angel and Buffy. Still do. Sorry, never really went in for Spike and Buffy, since it was all about sex for so long. That was a turn-off for me, although I like him as an individual character, simply because he cracks me up.

"Veronica Mars." Still one of my favorite under-appreciated shows. Still love Logan and Veronica, although I want to slap them both for being so self-destructive all the time.

"Moonlight." Loved Mick and Beth, thought it was sweet -- but particularly fancied Josef.

"The Tudors." My adoration for that series knows no bounds... I have made over 60 fan videos for it, and finally reached my peak where I have run out of songs and ideas. I'm sure my friends are relieved.

"Harry Potter." Love it. Read through some of the discussion here about Snape and others and... well, don't agree about Snape. I love that it was all about Lily in the end, and I think it WAS about more than infatuation or obsession; I really do believe he loved her. It's probably my favorite book series. The movies, on the other hand, have been a giant disaster -- one that I still enjoy watching, but boy are they crap compared to the books!