PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Sphere?

chocky
12-29-2007, 07:20 PM
"...it is also called Dunbar's number which is a value significant in sociology and anthropology. Proposed by British anthropologist Robin Dunbar, it measures the "cognitive limit to the number of individuals with whom any one person can maintain stable relationships". Dunbar theorizes that "this limit is a direct function of relative neocortex size, and that this in turn limits group size ... the limit imposed by neocortical processing capacity is simply on the number of individuals with whom a stable inter-personal relationship can be maintained."

That's a quote from Yahoo's question and answer thingie (excuse technical term) and here is a link to a humorous article inspired by the monkey sphere To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So, in order to relieve my brain of insurmountable demands, I'm dedicating my life to gathering a tribe of people worth caring about so I can safely forget about all the idiots out there. ;)

What do others think of the idea that disregard for our biological limits are at the root of our dysfunctional social 'order'?

qwerty
12-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Hmm, well this brings me to think about swarm intelligence. If we isolate ourselves in our monkey spheres and work only with people we are closest too and stop them from creating their own spheres (I'm reading that you want to isolate your friends with you) then you break down the foundation of society.

I quickly read the link you gave and noticed that the concept of this research treated the monkeys as belonging only to one group rather than as a collective of smaller groups. Much like people and the idea of 'six degrees of separation' each monkey sphere should be different - I know people in my monkey sphere and they know people that aren't in my sphere.

So maybe the reason why as a society we can still operate even without having large monkey sphere's and still keep current with the work of monkeys on different continents is because of communication and social economics.

We are all Monkeys (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.)

chocky
12-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Sorry qwerty, I forgot the obvious humour tag.... society can (hopefully) fall apart quite well without my help as it is.....

Yes, the real world is composed of overlapping monkey spheres. I wouldn't expect any tribe to be totally isolated.

But if the maximum size of the most basic political entity that ensures everyone matters - ensures everyone has meaning and relevance within a group - is 150 people, then our socio-political structures have a good deal of disintegration in front of them before they break down to the human scale. I'm interested in what is good for the human.

Who isn't exhausted by the danger and idiocy of having 6 billion people living in isolation together (great link - thanks!)