PDA

View Full Version : Proving the Greatest Guitarist

Booko
12-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Providing an explanation without proof is just making up a story to my mind.

I can make up stories too. I cannot make up proof. One day these "inexplicable" things will be explained, by SCIENCE.

I'll be interested in reading your scientific proof for why Eric Clapton is the best guitarist alive then.

Lucid
12-14-2007, 04:55 PM
I'll be interested in reading your scientific proof for why Eric Clapton is the best guitarist alive then.

Determining who is the best guitarist alive is a subjective matter of opinion (I prefer Slash to Eric Clapton). Whereas science is a matter of objective observation. :)

Danisty
12-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Determining who is the best guitarist alive is a subjective matter of opinion (I prefer Slash to Eric Clapton). Whereas science is a matter of objective observation. :)Either you're failing to recognize Booko's humor or I'm failing to recognize yours.

Lucid
12-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Either you're failing to recognize Booko's humor or I'm failing to recognize yours.

The latter. Lightheartedness was indicated by the smiley face.

What's wrong with Slash? :p

Hdier
12-14-2007, 05:03 PM
That is an opinion, not a fact. Therefore it does no apply.

Danisty
12-14-2007, 05:41 PM
The latter. Lightheartedness was indicated by the smiley face.

What's wrong with Slash? :pNothing particular. Did I give the impression there was? I think you're both wrong and the best guitarist is Pete Townshend.

That is an opinion, not a fact. Therefore it does no apply.See my previous post.

Lucid
12-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Nothing particular. Did I give the impression there was? I think you're both wrong and the best guitarist is Pete Townshend.

I think you're still failing to recognize when I'm joking. :undecided:

Danisty
12-14-2007, 06:10 PM
I think you're still failing to recognize when I'm joking. :undecided:I'm sorry. I have to say I find the smilies on this forum to be a little harder to read than the ones I'm used to.

Lucid
12-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm sorry. I have to say I find the smilies on this forum to be a little harder to read than the ones I'm used to.

Yes, tone is always a problem on the internet. Especially if the smilies are unfamiliar.

Booko
12-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Nothing particular. Did I give the impression there was? I think you're both wrong and the best guitarist is Pete Townshend.

No, I can prove that Eric Clapton is the best guitarist by the fact that he's used in iconography in my local Orthodox church and Pete Townshend is not.

However, I will cede that Roger Daltrey is the only attractive blond male in existence, and not just because he appeared in Highlander.

Danisty
12-14-2007, 09:44 PM
However, I will cede that Roger Daltrey is the only attractive blond male in existence, and not just because he appeared in Highlander.You are correct that he's an attractive blond male and most blond males aren't attractive, but there is one other...Clancy Brown. Interestingly, they are both connected to Highlander.

Hdier
12-15-2007, 12:52 PM
See my previous post.

Sorry, I tend to get to a page, then not read it for a few hours.

ShaiGar
12-15-2007, 09:35 PM
John Parker went to the mountain to meditate on a problem and an angel came down to him. The angel Sayeth "Kurt Cobain doth be the greatest Guitarist in History".

INTJoe
12-16-2007, 02:11 AM
FACT: James Patrick Page owns all comers. Best composer out there with the instrument.

Even at 63 he's way better than most of the clowns out there. Type in "Led Zeppelin London 02" into YouTube and check out footage from their recent one-off concert.

Amazing stuff for an old, yet immortal, man! :)

arnsworth1026
01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
ya'll have mentioned some great guitarists (except for slash, don't know what you're thinking, at least in calling him the greatest ;) )

and I LOVE led zeppelin (which is only the greatest band EVER (with one possible exception, but that's neither here nor there)

but come on, every sensible person knows that Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever.

rwyatt365
01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
ya'll have mentioned some great guitarists (except for slash, don't know what you're thinking, at least in calling him the greatest ;) )

and I LOVE led zeppelin (which is only the greatest band EVER (with one possible exception, but that's neither here nor there)

but come on, every sensible person knows that Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever.
Now we're talkin'! If only Jimi could have survived his habits those others might have been really schooled. :cool:

INTJoe
01-03-2008, 05:27 PM

Hendrix wasn't a very good composer, and he barely touched the acoustic. He was a lot of fun, but too gimmicky. Page and Clapton are in a tier above. And perhaps other guitarists. Page and Clapton could do it all. Compose, play fast and clean, change gears, and play equally beautiful music with acoustic and electric.

I put Hendrix in Tier 2 along with SRV, Van Halen, Slash, Angus, Prince, etc.

These are dudes that are obviously awesome but they each have flaws. SRV is a one-trick pony (albeit his trick is awesome). Van Halen's solos are totally out of context with the songs. His compositional skills aren't very good, and he barely touches the acoustic.
Slash just doesn't have an eclectic-enough sound like Page or Clapton. I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with Slash, he's just not...quite...as good as Clapton or Page. He's also not a risk-taker in his playing. And Angus doesn't touch the acoustic and isn't very good at changing gears.

arnsworth1026
01-03-2008, 06:08 PM
yes but, Hendrix is the only one who makes me want to go out and actually learn how to play guitar.

arnsworth1026 added to this post, 0 minutes and 49 seconds later...

by the way, did you download the 02 concert? it's tight.

INTJoe
01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
haha, that's funny because I went out and bought 2 guitars (acoustic and electric) and "learned" to play them because of Page.

No other guitarist got me excited about such a "lame" instrument.

Not that that means one is better than the other, but I find it funny that our arguments are reciprocated. lol.

Download the concert? How? I just watch clips on YouTube. I was blown away by how good it was. Some songs were trash, obv. but Kashmir, Black Dog, Good Times Bad Times, and Dazed and Confused were all really good. I will buy the DVD when it comes out next year, but let me know how to download it plz.

HackerX
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh dear lord. I'm trying my best not to weigh into this. There's a lot of well known guitarists in this thread so far, a lot of decent guitarists in this thread, a few bad guitarists, and a few good guitarists. No great guitarists yet though...

MetalWounds
01-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Rhandy Rhodes anyone?

INTJoe
01-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh dear lord. I'm trying my best not to weigh into this. There's a lot of well known guitarists in this thread so far, a lot of decent guitarists in this thread, a few bad guitarists, and a few good guitarists. No great guitarists yet though...

I listed Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Prince, Slash, Angus, SRV, and Van Halen.

No great guitarists? What are your criteria for being a "great guitarist"? Being unknown? Some virtuoso who lives in a cave? The guys I listed aren't great because they "sold out" by selling millions of albums or something? I don't get it.

If not, please "enlighten" us all. For we all seek the knowledge you have.

HackerX
01-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Here's a been there done that thread on another forum. You'll notice that most of the previously mentioned guitarists here don't get a mention on this thread. Can't help you if you don't know who they're talking about. I'm not even going to agree with all of them. Take your pick though:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

INTJoe
01-04-2008, 12:47 AM
LOL! A bunch of sweep-pickers!?

That isn't worth much...I recognize about half those names. And I YouTubed Petrucci, as he seems to be listed highly on that site. Those guys are good at what they do, but they are not the whole package like Clapton or Page.

Sweep-picking is a gimmick for guitarists who have no clue how to compose, or change gears on their own. And I doubt many of those guys listed on that site have held an acoustic guitar or composed with it in many years.

And all their stuff sounds too similar.

I'm sorry but in 30 years people will still remember guys like Clapton and Page, and nobody will remember much about Yngwie Malmsteen other than he's a fat dude with a Rolex.

But, it's your opinion and that's fine. But for you to come in here and denounce guitar Gods like SRV, Van Halen, Hendrix, etc...was really asking for it.

HackerX
01-04-2008, 01:53 AM
LOL! A bunch of sweep-pickers!?

That isn't worth much...I recognize about half those names. And I YouTubed Petrucci, as he seems to be listed highly on that site. Those guys are good at what they do, but they are not the whole package like Clapton or Page.

Sweep-picking is a gimmick for guitarists who have no clue how to compose, or change gears on their own. And I doubt many of those guys listed on that site have held an acoustic guitar or composed with it in many years.

Fine, you win, I'll play your game. Here's what I think of your list:
Clapton - Good, though I'm not much a fan of his style. It's far too basic
Page - Sloppy.. really sloppy. Best know for his 'amazing' pentatonic scale solos. Even though he tried so hard with his weird tunings
Hendrix - Also sloppy, though he was a breath of fresh air at the time he came out. I like him because it tried something new. Still not the greatest of all time though
Prince - HA
Slash - HAHA
Angus - HAHAHAHA, How the fuck did he even make this list
SRV - Haven't heard enough. I know people are a fan of his tone though.
Van Halen - How many hammer ons does a solo make?

And you keep flouting acoustic like it's the be all and end all, but none of your guitarists would come close to Tommy Emmanuel on the acoustic, and I'm sure there are plenty of players better than him.

But clearly, only your opinion is what counts in this discussion, so I'm out of here :)

Oica
01-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Why not throw Satriani in the mix? Composes his own music, has great technical skill... Albums pale compared to his concerts. I like his work more than any other organized group of musicians. Plus the hats...

deicruxified
01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
i'm also a metal enthusiast but...

erm... classical... flamenco... anyone?

erhmm... i'd go for john williams on classical and paco de lucia on flamenco hehehe

xhaan
01-04-2008, 01:40 PM
They are all great in some way, there is no '-est', in reality.
Science cannot prove it, because it is subjective, so you would have to make a standard, either from consensus, or just by pulling it out of your hat, it would then be an arbitrary standard (even though to some it may seem locgical to make a standard, you would be trying to make something objective from a subjective thing.)

And yes, SRV is very good.

i'm also a metal enthusiast but...

erm... classical... flamenco... anyone?

erhmm... i'd go for john williams on classical and paco de lucia on flamenco hehehe

I agree with classical and flamenco, very good. I'm a 'metal head' also. Haven't heard of the two people you just mentioned though.

BadMojo
01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Rhandy Rhodes anyone?
Totally agree. Rhodes rock!

But Mark Knoffler is pretty good. But I only know the topgun theme. :)

xhaan
01-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I find guitar worshipers amusing.

These people aren't gods, they just have a vision, and most have just practiced a freaking lot. They're human beings!! :suspicious:

;D ;D

Of course, a good number may have some physiological tendencies towards 'talent', for the lack of a better word, but I think that's more of a 'margin area' than a quantifiable thing. i.e. someone who is less 'naturally inclined', just needs to try harder... there are people that fall out of the spectrum though, of course.

Oica
01-04-2008, 02:50 PM
John Petrucci is good.
Joe Satriani is a guitar virtuoso.
SRV can do blues.
Van Halen has good technical skill.

Malmsteen is horrible.

INTJoe
01-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I just don't hold jam sessions with arpeggios in high regard.

There are a ton of clean, virtuosic (?), guitar players out there. But imo, you gotta have the whole package. Or you'll be relegated to session work your entire life. I admire guitarists that compose beautiful music, that is contextual (and not just free-flowing arpeggios), and play it really well, too. Both live and in studio. Sure Page is "sloppy" compared to these wunderkind guitarists, but he's being compared to a couple handfuls of the most technically sound guitarists on the planet. Even YouTube's wunderkind "funtwo" is cleaner than Page, but to suggest he's better than Page, or Clapton (or anyone else who has actually composed timeless, contextual riffs, arrangements, solos...) would be preposterous.

Also, playing in bands that sold tens of millions of albums shouldn't count against Clapton or Page. You can still be "overrated" (as some might suggest) and be the cream of the crop at the same time.

HackerX
01-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Ok, clearly this thread is going to go nowhere.

So, instead of this who's the best bullshit, post up so youtube videos so people who may not have seen some of these players can see how awesome they all are. No this video is better than that video comments, just awesome guitar playing (any style counts) GO GO GO.

Tommy Emmanuel (playing a classic):
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John Petrucci (Dream Theater):

And to piss as many people as I can off -
Satriani, Vai & Malmsteen having some fun with Little Wing:

xhaan
01-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Is hard to find videos on YT that don't sound like utter dead, flat crap, but here goes...

Probably been seen a bazillion times.. (well.. 700 thousand) but:
Erik Mongrain:

Same again:

One more time:

SRV:

BloozeGit
01-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I'd like to throw some new names into the fray.

Danny Gatton: Took country, blues, bluegrass, rockabilly, jazz, turned them all upside down and made a helluva sound. He didn't get much critical acclaim but those who know, know. ;)

Jerry Donahue: Incredible country picker with crazy bends. Hard choice to pick one out of the whole bunch of country guys, but I guess he's representative of the great pickin' that goes on in a music form that is often not taken seriously enough :blank: He starts off explaining some of his bends and starts playing a song halfway through.

Redd Volkaert: Huge player (in all senses of the word) who does the jazz/western swing thing with panache. Watch out for the hot (in all senses of the word too) pedal steel player too!

Since I'm mainly a blues fan, here are my votes. I'm taking my chances here, these are not necessarily the most technically gifted but they probably influenced my musical direction more than anything else. Hard listening for all the most inclined but hey, what the heck. ;D

Lightning Hopkins: The original Texas bluesman and troubadour extraodinaire. You can probably hear where SRV got his stuff from, and then some.

Son House: Primitive player with a National resonator guitar and bottleneck, but the passion and fury of his words made this video a life-changing moment for me.

John Lee Hooker: Mean,mean low down blues. Probably the closest sound to the African origins of blues. Not a fancy guitar player but he uses it with his voice to create a hypnotic blues drone, almost shaman-like. A musical force to be reckoned with.

Hound Dog Taylor: Reckless electric slide player with 12(!) fingers, crude and unpolished but always kicked out a microtonally-out-of-tune racket that gets me moving and grinning from ear to ear. He had to say of himself, "When i die ,they`ll say 'He couldn't play shit, but he sure made it sound good!' ". 'Nuff said :cool:

danalaina
01-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Rhandy Rhodes anyone?

heard some classical guitar he did somewhere in my past. it was lovely.

but ye gods, people...Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Scuttle Buttin" had me slack-jawed - especially when i saw tape of a performance. Eddie's intro to Van Halen's cover of "You Really Got Me"...great moment for me. and if we're talking acoustic, i want to throw Leo Kottke's name in the hat.

deicruxified
01-10-2008, 10:45 AM
They are all great in some way, there is no '-est', in reality.
Science cannot prove it, because it is subjective, so you would have to make a standard, either from consensus, or just by pulling it out of your hat, it would then be an arbitrary standard (even though to some it may seem locgical to make a standard, you would be trying to make something objective from a subjective thing.)

And yes, SRV is very good.

I agree with classical and flamenco, very good. I'm a 'metal head' also. Haven't heard of the two people you just mentioned though.

erhmm oh well :)

Maverick
01-10-2008, 03:14 PM
The greatest guitarist of all time?

1) I'd say John Petrucci. He's got technique, creativity, soul and touch. Seems INFJ.

2) Joe Satriani for the same reasons as John, though his playing is not as complex musically as that of Petrucci. INFP.

3) Steve Vai. He's got a definite style and awesome touch. Sometimes too cerebral and disconnected from the music... he always seems like an "Alien" in whatever he does. But still awesome. ENTP.

Then there are many other good guitarists. Malmsteen has a wild and passionate style, albeit repetitive harmonic minor/phrygian licks (ESTP). Zakk Wylde plays in a raw manner with lots of energy, but it's just pentatonic (ESTP). SRV (ISFP) is amazing - the thing he does with those 5 notes is just crazy. Slash (ISTP) has got plenty of soul. I really love his solos. He has an awesome tone too .